Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Margaret Thatcher posted:

Are you sure Labour is even too concerned with renewing trident any more?

If Tony Blair was still in charge, I could see why that might be an issue. But Miliband seems like he could be a bit more progressive when it comes to things like trident.

Though I don't think Labour has had a public stance for the last few years, so who knows.

I think a hypothetical where the Labour leadership decided against Nuclear renewal could be very messy. They have a fair number of hawks and folk who might rebel with the Tories to retain nukes for the international penis-extension and world-power status.

The party leadership certainly didn't signal a u-turn during the referendum, where the message could have been "stay in the UK to lead a progressive march to disarmament". Instead it was "the nukes keep us safe" and "the nukes retain jobs" and "the nukes moved to England (assuming renewal) won't change anything".

If Labour are going to reverse on the nukes then they should be signalling it soon because it is a lot of money freed up to offer other things when they are otherwise restricting themselves to following the Tory economic plans.

twoot fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
I imagine Labour would be very wary about nuclear disarmament because its inclusion in the 1983 manifesto is seen as one of the 'loony' policies which lost them the election. Even disregarding the hawks there's probably a sizable section of the leadership worried about being attacked as 'soft' on national defence so they'll stick with renewing Trident as the politically safer option.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Crameltonian posted:

I imagine Labour would be very wary about nuclear disarmament because its inclusion in the 1983 manifesto is seen as one of the 'loony' policies which lost them the election. Even disregarding the hawks there's probably a sizable section of the leadership worried about being attacked as 'soft' on national defence so they'll stick with renewing Trident as the politically safer option.

No one (credible) wants unilateral disarmament, it's silly; ours is a drop in the bucket compared to the former superpowers. Lots of people don't want warheads in their backyard.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd take them in my backyard (Teesside) without hesitation.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pissflaps posted:

I'd take them in my backyard (Teesside) without hesitation.

You're welcome to them, how do we go about arranging this?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

You're welcome to them, how do we go about arranging this?
I think they can be delivered from the submarines in about half an hour.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Crameltonian posted:

Arguably it's also a bit more loony to disarm during the Cold War than it is now.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Quick tax related question: I just got sent a £120 bill for the council to break into my house after I locked my keys inside. This is with a £20 or so VAT charge.

Is this actually something that has a VAT rate or are they trying to screw me? I've got no problem paying it if it's legit but I'm unemployed so £120 isn't exactly pocket change.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Ddraig posted:

Quick tax related question: I just got sent a £120 bill for the council to break into my house after I locked my keys inside. This is with a £20 or so VAT charge.

Is this actually something that has a VAT rate or are they trying to screw me? I've got no problem paying it if it's legit but I'm unemployed so £120 isn't exactly pocket change.

VAT is levied on services, locksmithing is a service, so yes it's legit.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

LemonDrizzle posted:

VAT is levied on services, locksmithing is a service, so yes it's legit.

I wouldn't really call what they did locksmithing (they literally hammered a screwdriver in) but fair enough.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ddraig posted:

I wouldn't really call what they did locksmithing (they literally hammered a screwdriver in) but fair enough.

Did they replace the lock afterwards or do anything else to make the property 'safe' again after essentially breaking in?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

twoot posted:

If Labour are going to reverse on the nukes then they should be signalling it soon because it is a lot of money freed up to offer other things when they are otherwise restricting themselves to following the Tory economic plans.

How are they "restricted to following Tory economic plans" when they've rejected the Tories' tax cuts out of hand and have a completely different deficit target?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

How are they "restricted to following Tory economic plans" when they've rejected the Tories' tax cuts out of hand and have a completely different deficit target?

LemonDrizzle posted:

have a deficit target

There you go!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

baka kaba posted:

There you go!

if one party has a plan to achieve a deficit of 0% over five years and the other has a plan to achieve a deficit of 2% over 20 years, I think most people would accept that the two parties' plans were different even though they both have deficit targets

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Yikes that's quite steep, I'm sure I paid around £50 for a locksmith to get me back into my house when I locked myself out. He did everything he could not to break the lock which would have cost more. Any reason you called the council rather than a locksmith?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ddraig posted:

If you want to kick up a stink you could get three quotes from different locksmiths for that task and if they are much less, send copies of the quotes to the council arguing that the bill is unreasonable, and make an offer. You'd probably have to add a tenner for the council's admin charge though.

I have no idea if this would work in getting the cost down, mind. I'd try it, but then I like kicking up stinks.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

paying for a locksmith to help you out after you lock your keys in is one of those things that's retarded to do.

that sounds about the going rate, I remember a few years ago some friends did the same thing and they paid a private guy to do it and essentially he just did that.

were you expecting the guy to come 'round and pick your lock?

e/ and yeah VAT on that is to be expected.

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 15, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Robot Mil posted:

Yikes that's quite steep, I'm sure I paid around £50 for a locksmith to get me back into my house when I locked myself out. He did everything he could not to break the lock which would have cost more. Any reason you called the council rather than a locksmith?

No reason other than I'm an idiot, I guess.

And yeah, they did make the door safe again. It's a bit stiff, but everything's working fine.

e: Anyway, as far as experiences ago I wouldn't really recommend locking yourself out. You have to sit outside miserable for hours, then when they finally come they bust your door in and charge you for the priviledge.

One thing I did learn is that my little jack russell isn't a particularly great guard dog and I shouldn't rely on her to save me from any burglars. She was hiding under the bed when they finally got the door open.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 15, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

JFairfax posted:

paying for a locksmith to help you out after you lock your keys in is one of those things that's retarded to do.

that sounds about the going rate, I remember a few years ago some friends did the same thing and they paid a private guy to do it and essentially he just did that.

were you expecting the guy to come 'round and pick your lock?

e/ and yeah VAT on that is to be expected.

Wait, is that not what a locksmith would do? I would totally have thought they would pick the lock, that's why I'd call a bloody locksmith instead of just kicking it in or something.

Once, my nan locked herself out, so she smashed the glass in the door with a brick and told everyone she'd come home to find some prospective burglar in the act of breaking in. She's a devil of a woman, love her to bits.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Locksmiths never pick locks. They break them then replace them for you. Its actually quite difficult to kick most modern front doors in after all.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

The locksmith I found used all sorts of weird gadgetry to get into the house without having to break the lock. Not exactly 'picking' it but same sort of thing.

If you're in South Wales I can heartily recommend Curley Locks.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if I was told it was going to be £120 I'd smash a window, it would be cheaper

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'll be sure to keep them in mind if I ever lock myself out again. Not bloody likely, mind you, £120 is a pretty drat good reminder for your keys.

I would have gone down the Nan route and broke the window if possible but I don't have any outside window (block of flats) and it's about three floors up.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
You could leave a spare key under a plant pot, or with a friend or relative.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

I suppose we'll have to wait until the manifestos are published until I can say for sure, but right now it sure looks like they are trying to convince the public with "same cuts, but slower and without outright glee".

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

if one party has a plan to achieve a deficit of 0% over five years and the other has a plan to achieve a deficit of 2% over 20 years, I think most people would accept that the two parties' plans were different even though they both have deficit targets

Well of course they're different, changing one insignificant policy detail would make that true. The question is what their general thrust is - both parties are dedicated to the core idea of 'balancing the budget' (and delivering a surplus of all things), a rejection of borrowing to pay for new spending, the necessity for austerity etc. Labour's plan is effectively 'what the Tories are saying... but not as bad, guys'. So it depends on your definition of 'different' and what your expectations of an alternative are

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pissflaps posted:

You could leave a spare key under a plant pot, or with a friend or relative.

Yeah, do this. I had a spare key cut and leave it at work.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

baka kaba posted:

Well of course they're different, changing one insignificant policy detail would make that true. The question is what their general thrust is - both parties are dedicated to the core idea of 'balancing the budget' (and delivering a surplus of all things), a rejection of borrowing to pay for new spending, the necessity for austerity etc. Labour's plan is effectively 'what the Tories are saying... but not as bad, guys'. So it depends on your definition of 'different' and what your expectations of an alternative are

Labour have also been trying to out-Tory the Tories in some areas too; just ask Rachel "tougher than the Tories on benefits" Reeves.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Speaking of benefits, my mum got moved into PIP recently, and to our deep surprise and shock it went smoothly, she ended up on slightly more money, and they sent her a comprehensive list of all other benefits and suchlike she may be entitled to. I have to say I was not expecting it, and still suspect we're an outlier, but if that becomes a commonplace experience it won't be as bad as I was fearing.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

So I unwisely spent most of this morning at the Left Unity conference in London, and it's pretty much destroyed any hope I had left in parliamentary politics.

The first policy session started 45 minutes late because some boring fucker wanted to have an amendment moved as a separate motion, and some other boring old fucker didn't want that. I sat through 'nukular is bad mmkay' and 'I think we need an armed militia to shoot fascists', and the only interesting guy was cut off when the PA system stopped working. A group in front of me abstained on everything but their own motion, someone called them CPGBs, and any time any of the speakers got at all passionate people started yelling that they were too loud. There's another day of it Sunday (including a speech by ~Ken Loach~), but gently caress that, I'm catching the train home to play EU4 and forget the world exists for a few days. :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ddraig posted:

You shouldn't have called the council or a locksmith, you should have gone to the police station. Most of them keep a locksmith on call for such situations. The one I got when I was locked out jimmied the lock in five seconds without even breaking it, and I paid less than half what you did.

The locksmith I got was an ex-burglar. He said it wasn't quite as lucrative, but he much preferred it when the police called him before the break-in and let him keep the money he took afterwards.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

mrpwase posted:

'I think we need an armed militia to shoot fascists'

I support this policy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Radio Prune posted:

I support this policy.

The catch is in how the armed militia begins defining fascists. See also; Ukraine.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Life hack: weigh the value of the door, the value of the windows, and the cost of a locksmith, against each other. Remember this figure and have a breakin plan ready. And by plan, I mean brick.

Sometimes the door loses though in which case I mean axe.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Re: key cutting, if you live in a council owned property they can be loving anal about keys. To the point where you have to go for a little meeting before getting new ones cut, and its one per person in the property. Absolutely retarded, but in my building they force special keys on you which you'd need to go to a no-questions-asked chap somewhere to get done.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Radio Prune posted:

I support this policy.

Indeed, the best way to stop fascism is to become just like them. :thumbsup:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

baka kaba posted:

The question is what their general thrust is - both parties are dedicated to the core idea of 'balancing the budget' (and delivering a surplus of all things), a rejection of borrowing to pay for new spending, the necessity for austerity etc.
This is not true. Labour and the Lib Dems propose to run a surplus on the current budget, i.e. the budget excluding investment spending, and to introduce new wealth/high income taxes. The Tories propose to run a surplus on the overall budget, i.e. to make the entirety of government expenditure less than the tax take, while cutting taxes. The Labour/Lib Dem plans in principle permit unlimited borrowing to fund investment and increase the tax take to fund other government expenditure; the Tory plan requires dramatic cuts to both general government expenditure and investment. They're completely different other than insofar as the people who've presented them have all used the words 'balance' and 'budget' in close proximity to one-another.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 16, 2014

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Ludicro posted:

Indeed, the best way to stop fascism is to become just like them. :thumbsup:

I think this guy just really, really wanted to have been born in St. Petersburg in the 1890s so he'd have the chance to shoot some Whites.

e:

Legernd cares more about disabled people than we do guys :ohdear:

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 16, 2014

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

The catch is in how the armed militia begins defining fascists. See also; Ukraine.

They often put Nationalist somewhere in their name. Also they have weird pipe dreams that can only be realised at the expense of everyone around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Regarde Aduck posted:

They often put Nationalist somewhere in their name. Also they have weird pipe dreams that can only be realised at the expense of everyone around them.
I see what you did there.

• Locked thread