Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I've also noticed that classical guitars tend to stick to a pretty consistent design, probably for the best. The most gimmicky stuff I've seen on them is a cutaway at the bottom like an acoustic and those extra hole-strip-things you can get at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

firebad57 posted:

Somebody let me know if this goes against some unwritten rules (didn't see it in the written rules), but I know there are a couple of other classical guitarists who check this thread, and I wanted to share this crazy arrangement my group did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgD2vS7YpEo

It's the 2nd mvmt of Ravel's String Quartet, arranged for 3 classical guitars (one of which is a crazy 7 string with extended range, classical bass style). The arrangement is hard as hell, but really fun to play, and audiences really like it. Even though it's an arrangement, I think it works really well on guitars, and it's been really rewarding to work on.

This is magnificent.

Shallow follow-up question: what are the arm-warmers for?

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

Gilgameshback posted:

This is magnificent.

Shallow follow-up question: what are the arm-warmers for?

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I wish Mason would play some djent on that thing, though that low A sounds amazing no matter what music we're playing.

The arm-warmers are to protect our forearms from the somewhat pointy edge of the guitar. They're actually slightly padded calf compression sleeves, believe it or not. Playing for 6+ hrs a day with your arm resting on a 90 degree angle can be a recipe for some pain, which is why so many new guitars are made with built in armrests there.

Speaking of newer guitars and the relatively conservative world of classical luthiery - our new guitars (we had three built at once by the same luthier, http://www.tschannenguitars.com/Home_Page.html) are totally insane by classical standards.

They have bolt-on necks (!), which means they are heelless, something practically unheard of in classical guitars. They also have raised fretboards, armrests, 22 frets, and are spruce/cedar doubletops. They are the loudest motherfucking classicals we've heard, and they are very, very pretty. I'll get some pictures soon.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Tone-holes!

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

sout posted:

Tone-holes!

I was pretty skeptical about soundports at first, since they make the guitar sound TOTALLY different to the player, but I am cool with mine now. It's like a monitor that you don't need at all because you are playing classical guitar.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

firebad57 posted:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I wish Mason would play some djent on that thing, though that low A sounds amazing no matter what music we're playing.

The arm-warmers are to protect our forearms from the somewhat pointy edge of the guitar. They're actually slightly padded calf compression sleeves, believe it or not. Playing for 6+ hrs a day with your arm resting on a 90 degree angle can be a recipe for some pain, which is why so many new guitars are made with built in armrests there.

Speaking of newer guitars and the relatively conservative world of classical luthiery - our new guitars (we had three built at once by the same luthier, http://www.tschannenguitars.com/Home_Page.html) are totally insane by classical standards.

They have bolt-on necks (!), which means they are heelless, something practically unheard of in classical guitars. They also have raised fretboards, armrests, 22 frets, and are spruce/cedar doubletops. They are the loudest motherfucking classicals we've heard, and they are very, very pretty. I'll get some pictures soon.

Holy cow that is a crazy rear end guitar. What are you using in lieu of a footstool/effel?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I bought Justin's Beginner Course and Beginner Songbook books a little while ago and have been learning to play again through those. Tonight was the first time I was able to play one of the songs in the songbook and actually have it sound like the song.

It was like an epiphany.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
so my PAF pickups are bouncing/vibrating a bit when I hit baddy chords. it's not too bad but it's something I'd like to nip in the bud, any suggestions?

fwiw these are unpotted(but hardly any feedback at high gain) and without covers.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.

firebad57 posted:

Somebody let me know if this goes against some unwritten rules (didn't see it in the written rules), but I know there are a couple of other classical guitarists who check this thread, and I wanted to share this crazy arrangement my group did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgD2vS7YpEo

It's the 2nd mvmt of Ravel's String Quartet, arranged for 3 classical guitars (one of which is a crazy 7 string with extended range, classical bass style). The arrangement is hard as hell, but really fun to play, and audiences really like it. Even though it's an arrangement, I think it works really well on guitars, and it's been really rewarding to work on.

I play classical guitar and I think you guys kick total rear end. That's an amazing arrangement. Guy in the middle looks like the guy from Supernatural. You should use that in your marketing.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

firebad57 posted:

Hey, nice arrangement! That is my wife's favorite piece - she said she missed the contrast of the violin though (I still like it).I love the story of the three guitars. I guess you guys can never break up or move away from one another!

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Smash it Smash hit posted:

so my PAF pickups are bouncing/vibrating a bit when I hit baddy chords. it's not too bad but it's something I'd like to nip in the bud, any suggestions?

fwiw these are unpotted(but hardly any feedback at high gain) and without covers.

Baddy... barre chords?

Maybe resonance or something, either way I imagine putting some foam around them so they can't budge easily would help.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

I play classical guitar and I think you guys kick total rear end. That's an amazing arrangement. Guy in the middle looks like the guy from Supernatural. You should use that in your marketing.

My girlfriend loves that show, so she'll be thrilled to hear it.

And yes rio, we can never break up :shobon:

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

Koth posted:

I bought Justin's Beginner Course and Beginner Songbook books a little while ago and have been learning to play again through those. Tonight was the first time I was able to play one of the songs in the songbook and actually have it sound like the song.

It was like an epiphany.

Great to hear. I'm in the same boat!

I think Justin's stuff is great. Initially I had a tough time playing the songs when I was learning the first few chords. I think it is because he doesn't start covering the rhythm stuff until the later stages. At one point the chords and rhythm stuff just "clicked" and it felt really cool to play a couple of simple songs.

I have been working on chord changes for the past few months and his exercises really help you get better with the shapes and changes. I also ended up switching from an acoustic to an electric. The electric was a lot more forgiving and more comfortable to sit on the couch with while doing the exercises.

RagingHematoma fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 15, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Sleepflower posted:

Baddy... barre chords?

Maybe resonance or something, either way I imagine putting some foam around them so they can't budge easily would help.

sorry autocorrect it was suppose to be bass or well bass heavy I guess. thabks was hoping I could adjust something but I'll tinker and if not, foam it up

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Smash it Smash hit posted:

sorry autocorrect it was suppose to be bass or well bass heavy I guess. thabks was hoping I could adjust something but I'll tinker and if not, foam it up

Oh that makes more sense. I'd say fiddle with springs/screws and make sure there are no cracks etc on the mountings but if both of them are doing it then it's probably resonance or whatever and cutting a foam ring/inserts is the way to go (it'd be easier to make hard to see with mounting rings and covered pickups but yeah).

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
On a totally different note from my last posts: my group is going to be recording an electric album, an almost all of the pieces are going to be recorded DI. We'll be playing most things live as a trio (three electric guitars), though I am sure we'll be doing plenty of punch-ins and a little overdubbing.

We want to use ABY boxes so that we can split our signal and send it to our amps, as well as DI, for monitoring/performance purposes. Basically, we want it to feel like we're just playing the piece as we normally do, but also be sending a clean signal into the DI/computer.

My question: is there a real reason to go with the (way) more expensive ABY boxes like the Radial Tonebone and whatnot, at least for our purposes?

We're not going to two amps, so bleed seems like way less of an issue. I'd love to just spend $40-50 each on some Morleys or whatever else people think is decent, but I don't want to gently caress up my recording by being cheap.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I've got a strat right now, and kinda want to get a short-scale guitar like a jaguar. what's the recommended cheapish but not garbage model? probably looking at spending ~400 or so.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
I've been playing with a few different people lately, and my guitars have for the most part been good to handle everything we've been playing, until now.

I could really use a guitar set up for drop C tuning, and my Agile 2000 needs a setup, so I was thinking of having that set up for drop C.

I then have a VM JM set up for 11's and standard tuning, a Tele with 9's and standard tuning, but I'm kinda now craving a strat or strat copy with HSS to keep set up for keeping a guitar tuned a half step down. Yeah I own a few cheaper guitars already, but honestly with a good setup and after I swap out the pickups they have all been great guitars.

Anything in maybe the 300-500 range I should look at? Apart from the Squier models. Pickups/other hardware don't matter that much as I can swap them (pickups are going to almost definitely be swapped)

e: Doesn't necessarily have to be a strat. Also I've been thinking instead going HSH and having push/pulls for coil splitting.

booshi fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 15, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I've got a strat right now, and kinda want to get a short-scale guitar like a jaguar. what's the recommended cheapish but not garbage model? probably looking at spending ~400 or so.

If you want specifically Jaguar-ish, Squier's Vintage Modified Jaguars and Mustangs are your best bet for that price range. Then there's the low-end Fenders, the Modern Players and Blacktop Jaguars, they will all have the scale and body shape; and sacrifice some of the "flaws" (read; features) for upgrades like fixed bridges and humbuckers or P90's. They might be outside your range brand new, but on sale or used you should be able to get them for $400.

If you're in the UK, I've seen 24" scale FSR Strats and Teles in online shops there; so that could be a possibility, however they seem to be a bit too far out of your price range.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Get a Mustang. Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe, Mustang Special, any of the MIC or MIJ Fender Mustangs are some of your best bang for the buck, especially if you don't feel like dealing with the infuriating bridge/tailpiece that the Jags and Jazzes usually have

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

juche mane posted:

especially if you don't feel like dealing with the infuriating bridge/tailpiece that the Jags and Jazzes usually have

With my VMJM, dropping in one of these fixed basically all of those issues for me: http://www.warmoth.com/Modified-Mustang-Bridge-Chrome-P616.aspx

So basically yeah if you want something that isn't a Mustang you're probably going to want to buy a bridge like that anyway. Ugh the JM bridge.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

juche mane posted:

Get a Mustang. Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe, Mustang Special, any of the MIC or MIJ Fender Mustangs are some of your best bang for the buck, especially if you don't feel like dealing with the infuriating bridge/tailpiece that the Jags and Jazzes usually have

Mustang bridge easily beats Jaguar bridge sure, but Jaguar trems are literally the least infuriating trems in existence

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Mustang bridge easily beats Jaguar bridge sure, but Jaguar trems are literally the least infuriating trems in existence

I've never used a Jazz or Jag, but I found the bridge on the Squier Mustang to be an absolute pain. Especially as I was used to dealing with Strat trems and TOMs. I would definitely try before you buy.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

firebad57 posted:

On a totally different note from my last posts: my group is going to be recording an electric album, an almost all of the pieces are going to be recorded DI. We'll be playing most things live as a trio (three electric guitars), though I am sure we'll be doing plenty of punch-ins and a little overdubbing.

We want to use ABY boxes so that we can split our signal and send it to our amps, as well as DI, for monitoring/performance purposes. Basically, we want it to feel like we're just playing the piece as we normally do, but also be sending a clean signal into the DI/computer.

My question: is there a real reason to go with the (way) more expensive ABY boxes like the Radial Tonebone and whatnot, at least for our purposes?

We're not going to two amps, so bleed seems like way less of an issue. I'd love to just spend $40-50 each on some Morleys or whatever else people think is decent, but I don't want to gently caress up my recording by being cheap.

Radials cost what they do because they're designed to make sure the signal coming out is just as strong as the signal going in. You can't do that with a passive signal splitter. With some setups it won't make a difference, or no more than rolling down your volume knob a bit, but you should definitely try before you buy. The analog-to-digital process in amp modeling generally prefers a full power signal as well.

Do you really need an ABY, in that you'll be switching between one output or the other? It sounds like you're going to be running to both the mixer and the your amps at all times. You might be better off with a decent direct box that has a 1/4" in and out, that way you can run a low impedance XLR signal to the board (scratch all that if you need a standard, high-impedance guitar signal for how you're recording). The cheap way, if you do need two guitar signals of equal strength is to use a buffered stereo pedal of some kind that you don't turn on. Run your guitar to a Boss CH-1, for instance, and send one of the signals off to the board. Your tonez will be safe!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

juche mane posted:

The Mustang Special has a normal hardtail strat fixed bridge and rules because of it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

If anyone's looking for project guitar parts, Rondo has "Boxes o' Bodies" at the bottom of this page. Fully wired guitar and bass bodies in several styles, both lefty and righty. Might be worth a look if you like to tinker.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Will their pickguards screw right into stock fender teles and strats

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
probably not

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

juche mane posted:

Will their pickguards screw right into stock fender teles and strats

You wouldn't really want to honestly, Rondo's pickups are their weakest quality. They're not bad, but you'd be better off going to GFS for a pre-wired or just buy a set.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I actually mean the blanks for *art*. I have pletny of pickups

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

juche mane posted:

I actually mean the blanks for *art*. I have pletny of pickups

Just buy blank pickguards then, you can do way better than six for $150 + shipping a box of heavy wood.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Pickguards_c_9.html

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Going back to my "I'd really like a strat kept for 1/2 step down tuning that is versatile". I've been playing for 13 years now and never had a strat, and my JM just isn't getting the use I thought because the kinds of music I've been playing with others, and I just tend to go to one of my other two guitars.

So, getting rid of the JM, what are the thoughts on getting an Agile/Squier CV strat, and putting in some GFS rails pickups wired so I can split each pickup?

e: I don't want to get anything super expensive but still decent as when I gig with guitars I always have bad luck with marking them up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

^if I was you I would go for a CV. They're well made instruments with consistent quality control and the price is perfect.

I need recommendations for strings. I like the NYXLs but I can't seem to keep them to not feel warm and slippery. I know that sounds weird but I'm starting to really dislike the feel. What brand should I try for long lasting, durable strings that stay dry and "cool" feeling. I would go from Cobalts considering I've had a single pair in my 7 for a year and the half and the plains aren't even dulled but they seem to be a little rough on frets, and that Schecter has SS frets.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

booshi posted:

Going back to my "I'd really like a strat kept for 1/2 step down tuning that is versatile". I've been playing for 13 years now and never had a strat, and my JM just isn't getting the use I thought because the kinds of music I've been playing with others, and I just tend to go to one of my other two guitars.

So, getting rid of the JM, what are the thoughts on getting an Agile/Squier CV strat, and putting in some GFS rails pickups wired so I can split each pickup?

e: I don't want to get anything super expensive but still decent as when I gig with guitars I always have bad luck with marking them up.

Look for an old greco strat IMO, make sure it's made in Japan and not Korea (the latter started in the late 80's or early 90's, which is also where the japanese ones start getting cheaper - and they're still great guitars despite getting less attention from MIJ fans), it's what I did just for this and it's great. I've got an HSS one, 1v1t (I find this works better), wired indiviual on/offs for each pickup and push pull pots for coil split on the bridge and phase inversion for the middle pickup. Could replace the latter with a neck split, but I've never tried splitting GFS rails - personally really like the Dimarzio Air Norton S split, but I also prefer cheap ceramic single coils to proper alnico polepiece ones so I'm probably not the guy to ask. Either way, it's tuned 1/2 step down and plenty versatile.
Oh and definitely either mess around with a treble bleed cap+resistor (need to get the right value for it to not sound thin rolled off) or the fezz parka mod (way easier, but some interaction between tone/volume), so you can roll off the volume without losing treble as that'll also do a lot for your versatility. I also tend to go with 500k tone pots (but again I like ceramic singles - my amp is kinda dark) because I can just roll them off a bit rather than being limited by 250k.
The individual toggles is by far the most important part IMO, you could just include a neck/bridge on switch for neck+bridge sounds (or even do something with the third pot perhaps to make it introduce either of them) as that's common territory stock strats don't cover, but I personally find individual toggles way easier to keep track of, and I like having the little toggles there.

The CV suggestion is also good, of course. I prefer a proper bucker in the bridge as that gives you more options, but either way wiring is what's going to get you that versatility from there, go crazy with it!

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Hey guys, so we survived our first day of being open this past Saturday. It was hectic, a lot of people coming in to check things out, say hello, etc. Anyway, I'm in the process of getting our full inventory up on reverb.com, but in the meantime, I figured I'd share a list of what we have, in case anyone was particularly interested in something before it goes up on reverb. The list doesn't include the violins, which I haven't gotten to yet.

http://goatpeakstrings.com/goat%20peak%20strings%20inventory%2020141117.pdf

I'm not used to retail, i forgot that 90% of the people that walk in are basically insane people looking for a bathroom, free food, or emotional counseling.

I'm going to be taking some little video demos of some of the nicer, more rare guitars, like the 1960 ES345, the '52 ES5, and the Tippin dreadnaughts, and all that fun stuff, but if there's something on the list you really want to see me play (poorly), let me know.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've got a control plate and white pickguard for a left handed Fender Telecaster. Anyone want these? You pay the cost of shipping but otherwise I'm giving it away for free.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

jwh posted:

Hey guys, so we survived our first day of being open this past Saturday. It was hectic, a lot of people coming in to check things out, say hello, etc. Anyway, I'm in the process of getting our full inventory up on reverb.com, but in the meantime, I figured I'd share a list of what we have, in case anyone was particularly interested in something before it goes up on reverb. The list doesn't include the violins, which I haven't gotten to yet.

http://goatpeakstrings.com/goat%20peak%20strings%20inventory%2020141117.pdf

I'm poor and could never afford any of your stuff, but I'd love to come check it out next time I'm heading back to Boston from out west.

Anyone have any clips of what gold foils sound like with more distortion? Can't find much and I'm really thinking of putting a gold foil in the neck of my Tele, as I never use the neck pup, and I love the sound of it clean.

e: I think I'm getting GAS again :(

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

We're open Monday and Tuesday by appointment, Wednesday and Thursday to 6pm, Friday and Saturday to 8pm, and Sundays for the holiday season from noon to 5pm.

If you're in the area, feel free to drop on by.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

booshi posted:

I'm poor and could never afford any of your stuff, but I'd love to come check it out next time I'm heading back to Boston from out west.

Anyone have any clips of what gold foils sound like with more distortion? Can't find much and I'm really thinking of putting a gold foil in the neck of my Tele, as I never use the neck pup, and I love the sound of it clean.

e: I think I'm getting GAS again :(

Somewhere between a P90 and a standard single coil. Not too much bass and a lot of midrange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

Somewhere between a P90 and a standard single coil. Not too much bass and a lot of midrange.

Hmmm. Sounds fun, and more interesting than the stock neck pup in my Tele. The neck is already routed for a humbucker so I'm going to get one of those GFS gold foils. Especially since the cost is great. I'd finally use my Tele in positions other than just the bridge.