Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
A friend of mine sent me a CCK small cleaver as an early birthday present! :toot: This thing is carbon, right? I've never owned a carbon knife. I wash and hand dry like anything else and then... rub mineral oil into it? Is that right? Do I hone this thing on the same ~20 degree angle as Western knives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

guppy posted:

A friend of mine sent me a CCK small cleaver as an early birthday present! :toot: This thing is carbon, right? I've never owned a carbon knife. I wash and hand dry like anything else and then... rub mineral oil into it? Is that right? Do I hone this thing on the same ~20 degree angle as Western knives?

Yes, it's carbon. You only need to oil it if your storing it for a good while or if you live somewhere pretty humid. Other than that just wash and dry it throughly after use and let it build a patina. Dunno about angles.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
The CCK large cleaver is ~12 degrees, so hone at that. As far as wiping it down and whatnot, I'd force a patina with some yellow mustard and then just never cut citrus with it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Thumposaurus posted:

Got a new work knife in the mail today.
It's not hanzo steel or anything crazy like that, but I'm a pastry chef so mostly cutting apples and onions and poo poo like that.

I mostly just got it because the handle was red and it was pretty cheap of Amazon.

I have the same knife and yeah, it's not hanzo steel but the fucker will last for years. I still use that same dude on pretty much all my veggies and it's been a champ in the kitchen since before I even moved to New York, however many years ago that was.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
My wife is getting me a decent chef's knife for my birthday because I gave away my Victorinox to a close friend and I'm getting sick of my TJ maxx special caphalon. This will be strictly for home use.

I'm really hoping to find a decent guyto on the bellyful side for +/- $50 or so.

What do ya'll think of the kai 5000 series? I've heard the 3000 and 4000 are kinda cheap, but I can;t find a lot of reviews of the 5000. Anyone here had any experience?

http://www.amazon.com/200mm-Chefs-Knife-5000-Series/dp/B0026L5MCM/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1416154279&sr=1-9

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

My wife is getting me a decent chef's knife for my birthday because I gave away my Victorinox to a close friend and I'm getting sick of my TJ maxx special caphalon. This will be strictly for home use.

I'm really hoping to find a decent guyto on the bellyful side for +/- $50 or so.

What do ya'll think of the kai 5000 series? I've heard the 3000 and 4000 are kinda cheap, but I can;t find a lot of reviews of the 5000. Anyone here had any experience?

http://www.amazon.com/200mm-Chefs-Knife-5000-Series/dp/B0026L5MCM/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1416154279&sr=1-9

That looks like a decent knife, if you read the first review it gives a lot of detail and apparently these are roughly equivalent of the Tojiro DP just with a lot more belly and probably a little less work put into fit and finish. Same VG-10 steel too.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Also since it's a guyto it will cut guys.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Isn't 200mm kinda short for a chef's knife?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

deimos posted:

Isn't 200mm kinda short for a chef's knife?

Yes, but they make gyutos in 180mm, 210mm, 240mm and 270mm, even larger sometimes. Plenty of gyutos are slightly under or over sized because many of them are still hand forged. 200mm is on the small side but not all that unusual.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

CrazyLittle posted:

Also since it's a guyto it will cut guys.

lol oops

well, the kai ships from Japan, so I'm probably going to jump on the Tojiro DP bandwagon like everyone else.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Leroy Diplowski posted:

lol oops

well, the kai ships from Japan, so I'm probably going to jump on the Tojiro DP bandwagon like everyone else.

There are options out there with a lot of belly, but they would be well over your price range unfortunately. You should look into getting a ceramic honing rod along and/or some waterstones and learning how to sharpen it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
As a recent wedding present, we received the Wustof classic 7 piece set
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/w%C3%BCsthof-classic-7-piece-knife-block-set/s110046?b=1&a=1552
It comes with an 8" chef's knife, 8" bread knife, 6" utility knife, 3.5" paring knife, shears and sharpener. We also received a carving knife and fork.

We also got a wustof cleaver that we returned (my wife wasn't comfortable using it). She wants to pick up another knife though, is it worth getting the 6" chef's knife in addition to the 8"? Or should we be grabbing a 5" or 7" santoku?

Finally, we got a http://www.crateandbarrel.com/w%C3%BCsthof-universal-4-stage-sharpener/s145923 sharpener. It's ok to use, right? There's just so much info and I don't know anything about this stuff :ohdear:

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 17, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mastershakeman posted:

Finally, we got a http://www.crateandbarrel.com/w%C3%BCsthof-universal-4-stage-sharpener/s145923 sharpener. It's ok to use, right? There's just so much info and I don't know anything about this stuff :ohdear:

God no, learn how to use a stone. Drag through sharpeners are just terrible for knives because they literally shear off steel as opposed to shaving/rubbing it away like a traditional stone.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There are options out there with a lot of belly, but they would be well over your price range unfortunately. You should look into getting a ceramic honing rod along and/or some waterstones and learning how to sharpen it.

I really like the western deba, but it's a little pricy, and I'm kinda interested in how a lighter knife feels. Anyhow I ordered the gyutou and I'm really excited because it will be worlds better than what I was bludgeoning onions with.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

God no, learn how to use a stone. Drag through sharpeners are just terrible for knives because they literally shear off steel as opposed to shaving/rubbing it away like a traditional stone.

Yeah, either this or get one of the edgepro knock-offs and maybe some better stones for it later on.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I really like the western deba, but it's a little pricy, and I'm kinda interested in how a lighter knife feels. Anyhow I ordered the gyutou and I'm really excited because it will be worlds better than what I was bludgeoning onions with.

Uhhh, are you dismantling large fish or something? Because debas are thick as hell and built for hacking through fish bone and such, not for murdering vegetables.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, either this or get one of the edgepro knock-offs and maybe some better stones for it later on.

Slight devil's advocate - yes you can use that sharpener. It won't get you the sharpest edge, and it will significantly shorten the lifespan of your knife (but you probably won't notice from ordinary household use). It's better to use a crappy sharpener and have a reasonably sharp knife all the time, rather than buy a stone & hone you never use and have dull knives that could slip and cut you.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Uhhh, are you dismantling large fish or something? Because debas are thick as hell and built for hacking through fish bone and such, not for murdering vegetables.

From the description the tojiro western deba appears to be more of a western chef's knife than an actual deba. I did just dismantle a few striped bass, but I use an electric knife for that.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Slight devil's advocate - yes you can use that sharpener. It won't get you the sharpest edge, and it will significantly shorten the lifespan of your knife (but you probably won't notice from ordinary household use). It's better to use a crappy sharpener and have a reasonably sharp knife all the time, rather than buy a stone & hone you never use and have dull knives that could slip and cut you.

Counterpoint: no.

Pull through sharpeners tend to:
- nick brittle steels
- gently caress grind angles
- not sharpen that well anyways

If you don't want to, or can't for various reasons, use a traditional stone+hone get a faux pro for $30.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 17, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Leroy Diplowski posted:

From the description the tojiro western deba appears to be more of a western chef's knife than an actual deba. I did just dismantle a few striped bass, but I use an electric knife for that.

240mm Western Deba: 15.8oz
240mm Gyuto: 9.4oz

The Western Deba is (almost literally) a Gyuto + Cladding for weight. I just...

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

deimos posted:

Counterpoint: no.

Pull through sharpeners tend to:
- nick brittle steels
- gently caress grind angles
- not sharpen that well anyways

If you don't want to, or can't for various reasons, use a traditional stone+hone get a faux pro for $30.

An edgepro (or knockoff) is still just a way to hold a stone at a proper angle. Any sharpener, stone, or hone is worthless if you never use it. I agree with your points above, but that doesn't change the fact that a tool never used is as useful as none at all, and dull knives are a safety concern.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

CrazyLittle posted:

An edgepro (or knockoff) is still just a way to hold a stone at a proper angle. Any sharpener, stone, or hone is worthless if you never use it. I agree with your points above, but that doesn't change the fact that a tool never used is as useful as none at all, and dull knives are a safety concern.

Yeah, that is true, but the edgepro and it's imitators are not difficult to use at all. Waterstones have a learning curve, but again, it's not the most difficult thing to learn and there are tools like this that make sharpening on stones very easy. If you use a decent honing rod you can go for a month or more between full sharpening depending on the knife. Once you have used a knife sharpened on stones you never want to go back, even a lovely knife when decently sharpened is a joy to work with. I used dull knives for the longest time and actually sharpening my cruddy knives made chopping vegetables change from a chore to a joy.

Oh, and I've used roll sharpeners before and they did roughly jack and poo poo for my knives, the knives may have been very marginally sharper but they still squashed tomatoes and sawed through onions, just not a good value.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I'm looking at getting a Tojiro ITK gyuto and a DP paring knife along with a pair of sharpening stones. Will I need a hone or anything else as well?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

I'm looking at getting a Tojiro ITK gyuto and a DP paring knife along with a pair of sharpening stones. Will I need a hone or anything else as well?

A hone like the Idahone is good to refresh your edge between sharpenings but it's not absolutely necessary, just really, really convenient. Just so you know, the ITK knives cladding is crazy reactive, so be very attentive with your upkeep.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just so you know, the ITK knives cladding is crazy reactive, so be very attentive with your upkeep.

How bad is it actually? I've read anywhere between "fine as long as you do normal maintenance" to "will start rusting within minutes after you start using it unless you wipe it every 30 seconds."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

How bad is it actually? I've read anywhere between "fine as long as you do normal maintenance" to "will start rusting within minutes after you start using it unless you wipe it every 30 seconds."

Even if it does start rusting within a few minutes as long as you clean the rust off it will eventually develop a protective patina. You might want to try creating a patina on purpose, yellow mustard plus some water to thin it out apparently works well. I stick to stainless clad and fully stainless knives, so all of this is second hand, you might want to ask on the CKTG forums, lots of people with first hand experience there.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Even if it does start rusting within a few minutes as long as you clean the rust off it will eventually develop a protective patina. You might want to try creating a patina on purpose, yellow mustard plus some water to thin it out apparently works well. I stick to stainless clad and fully stainless knives, so all of this is second hand, you might want to ask on the CKTG forums, lots of people with first hand experience there.

It sounds like the itk's cladding might be more effort than I care for, so on second thought how about :
Kohetsu Blue #2 210 Gyuto
Dojo 80mm paring

This is about a $30 jump in price for each of the knives and is about the limit of what I'm willing to spend on knives right now

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

It sounds like the itk's cladding might be more effort than I care for, so on second thought how about :
Kohetsu Blue #2 210 Gyuto
Dojo 80mm paring

This is about a $30 jump in price for each of the knives and is about the limit of what I'm willing to spend on knives right now

Both of those are great choices. The edge will obviously be reactive but not nearly as reactive as the cladding on the ITKs, as long as you wipe it after use you should be fine. If you live near the sea and get a lot of wet, salty air or in someplace really humid in general you might want to put a little mineral oil on them if you are storing them for a while, but for the most part they will be fine with nothing more than a quick wash and dry after use. Since they are cheaper knives the fit & finish might be a little rough and you might want to get some sandpaper and relieve the edges of the spine and choil to make the knives more comfortable to use.

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

I have two gifted Global knives - chef and pairing - that I'm fairly found of. The handle size suits me because I have small hands, and I like the weight of the chef knife. I feel like it helps with my fussy approach to prep work. But due to life with roommates, they've received pretty rough treatment recently.

I took a hard-line on the dishwasher, but I still regularly find them dirty, sitting in a pool of water in the sink, and/or piled up in the drying rack at awkward angles. I've already spoken to them about it but it didn't really work other than getting them to handwash. I sort of decided to let go and not worry since I don't wanna have a hang up about it, and I know they aren't the greatest knives in the world anyway. But I have respect for my objects and like taking care of things properly. Plus they are both dramatically more dull than they were two months ago when I moved in.

My question is will this gently caress them up forever? If I get them professionally serviced (or whatever) when I move or when the person who likes to cook the most leaves, will they be salvageable? As it stands I have a friend who knows a fair amount about knives and will sharpen them using a stone thingy when I ask. I'm unsure if doing that more often will shorten their lifespan. Any other ideas?

And yes, I've been clear about it, but it just doesn't stick. Keeping them in my room or something seems fussy.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

close to toast posted:

My question is will this gently caress them up forever? If I get them professionally serviced (or whatever) when I move or when the person who likes to cook the most leaves, will they be salvageable? As it stands I have a friend who knows a fair amount about knives and will sharpen them using a stone thingy when I ask. I'm unsure if doing that more often will shorten their lifespan. Any other ideas?

Yes, and yes. Unless they're breaking off visible chunks of metal, they're not really doing too much damage to it. Sharpening removes metal, so if you sharpen really frequently, then yeah, you're shortening their lifespan if you sharpen more often or more aggressively than what would be normal. It's probably not worth worrying about, but that being said, if you're paying someone to sharpen, it might be cheaper to just get a pair of victorinox knives and just let them beat those up while you're still living with your current roommates.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Both of those are great choices. The edge will obviously be reactive but not nearly as reactive as the cladding on the ITKs, as long as you wipe it after use you should be fine. If you live near the sea and get a lot of wet, salty air or in someplace really humid in general you might want to put a little mineral oil on them if you are storing them for a while, but for the most part they will be fine with nothing more than a quick wash and dry after use. Since they are cheaper knives the fit & finish might be a little rough and you might want to get some sandpaper and relieve the edges of the spine and choil to make the knives more comfortable to use.

Thanks. I went ahead an ordered the pair :homebrew:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

When I got married a few years back, I bought my best man/guy I cooked with for the event, a higher end hammered-finish Shun for his efforts. Recently for the last little while I started asking if he still liked it or he had sent it back for refinishing, since they carry the guarantee, and it's easy enough to do. Basically, I just wanted him to be aware he could send it in.

Nope. Turns out that he'd researched everything about it, bought the proper equipment and taught himself how to properly sharpen it using whetstones, enjoys doing it, and enjoys showing it off.

I felt more honored by that than him just enjoying the knife. That's my knife story.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Big Beef City posted:

When I got married a few years back, I bought my best man/guy I cooked with for the event, a higher end hammered-finish Shun for his efforts. Recently for the last little while I started asking if he still liked it or he had sent it back for refinishing, since they carry the guarantee, and it's easy enough to do. Basically, I just wanted him to be aware he could send it in.

Nope. Turns out that he'd researched everything about it, bought the proper equipment and taught himself how to properly sharpen it using whetstones, enjoys doing it, and enjoys showing it off.

I felt more honored by that than him just enjoying the knife. That's my knife story.

The Shun Premier knives are gorgeous.

Anyone know of a place online that has then cheaper than what amazon has them for? All I want are a 8 inch chef and a paring knife for a price I won't feel guilty about later :ohdear:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Present posted:

The Shun Premier knives are gorgeous.

Anyone know of a place online that has then cheaper than what amazon has them for? All I want are a 8 inch chef and a paring knife for a price I won't feel guilty about later :ohdear:

Is there any particular reason you want the Shuns? Aesthetics or performance?

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Mostly aesthetics. If they had a wooden octagon handle they'd be perfect.

Anything that looks like them in a similar price range that I should look at maybe? In stainless steel.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Present posted:

Mostly aesthetics. If they had a wooden octagon handle they'd be perfect.

Anything that looks like them in a similar price range that I should look at maybe? In stainless steel.

Unfortunately there are not many, generally you don't see really nice aesthetics until the higher price ranges, instead the extra money spent at the low end gives you better performance and the nicer aesthetics filter in as performance and price increase past the $200+ range. The Shuns reverse that to some extent, emphasizing aesthetics as price increases but not increasing much in performance.

There is the Takamura VG-10 Nashiji which I find rather pretty and is a better knife overall than the Shun for a bit less.

There is also the Sukenari Ginsan it has a different aesthetic but I also find it to be really nice looking, the video really shows off how nice it looks better than the stills do. It is a much better knife than the Shun and about the same price.

Of course if you really want beauty and performance you pay for it.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
Does such a creature as a santoku in the area of 150mm exist? My girlfriend wants something relatively short for kitchen chores, but with a wide blade. Most of the santoku patterns I see are 185mm and all of the shorter petty knives aren't especially wide. For reference, she loved the Shun Pure Komachi 2 santoku we had before I gave it away. I was hoping for something a bit more stout though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Glockamole posted:

Does such a creature as a santoku in the area of 150mm exist? My girlfriend wants something relatively short for kitchen chores, but with a wide blade. Most of the santoku patterns I see are 185mm and all of the shorter petty knives aren't especially wide. For reference, she loved the Shun Pure Komachi 2 santoku we had before I gave it away. I was hoping for something a bit more stout though.

There are plenty in 160mm-165mm range which is nearly as short, how much were you looking to spend?

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There are plenty in 160mm-165mm range which is nearly as short, how much were you looking to spend?

Inside of $80 or whatever the metric equivalent of $80 is, ideally. If there's something really that much better at the $100 price point I'm open to ideas. Also, preferably stainless steel. She's very good about caring for the kitchen knives, but I prefer she not be overly preoccupied with keeping it wiped down in use.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Glockamole posted:

Inside of $80 or whatever the metric equivalent of $80 is, ideally. If there's something really that much better at the $100 price point I'm open to ideas. Also, preferably stainless steel. She's very good about caring for the kitchen knives, but I prefer she not be overly preoccupied with keeping it wiped down in use.

There is the Tojiro DP Damascus 165mm Santoku for $80, it is a reasonably good knife and the damascus finish is nice looking, it's a bit plain otherwise.

Another good option if she is right handed and you wanted something lighter with a japanese style D handle is the Kiyotsuna Josaku Santoku 165mm, also for $80. This one is a bit nicer looking in my opinion. It is thicker at the spine and probably has a more robust feel to it while also being lighter than the Tojiro, it apparently narrows nicely towards the edge and will cut well with a little sharpening.

Though if she is willing to look at 180mm santokus there are some really amazing options like the Minamoto Hamon Santoku 180mm for $99 which is a steal for such a nice knife. It is very thin, cuts extremely well, is very light for a knife with a western handle and is easily the nicest looking of these knives.

Was her concern just length or was weight a factor? I ask because most japanese made santokus are much lighter than their western counterparts and have great balance in the hand which makes them feel even lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

About sandpaper, I'd like to do this to my knife. What grit of sandpaper would be best, or anything fine okay?

• Locked thread