Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm all for throwing all limitations like "out of time frame" and "didn't technically exist" out the window if the unit is cool. It's a drat video game. Someone sketched a cool prototype idea somewhere that doesn't require breaking the laws of physics, throw it in. If it would improve the balance by giving one side a cool perk when they were at a marked disadvantage, even more so.

We need more Chimeras and less "This tank is identical to the previous model but has a new FCS or the commander got glasses so it's got 5% more accuracy and that's it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm all for throwing all limitations like "out of time frame" and "didn't technically exist" out the window if the unit is cool. It's a drat video game. Someone sketched a cool prototype idea somewhere that doesn't require breaking the laws of physics, throw it in. If it would improve the balance by giving one side a cool perk when they were at a marked disadvantage, even more so.

We need more Chimeras and less "This tank is identical to the previous model but has a new FCS or the commander got glasses so it's got 5% more accuracy and that's it".

I'm assuming the reason time frame is controversial is becasue that's the default excuse used to not give cool or useful units to other factions.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
While I agree with the opinion that prototypes shouldn't be a required choice for the nations where available (think the BMPT), their limitations on units got real dumb when they advanced the time frame 10 years past the actual shelf life of the cold war. They threw away the opportunity to add cool things like the Black Eagle, Comanche, etc, sticking to a reality that doesn't much sense in their alternate timeline. Basically it's a what if without the stuff that makes that concept really fun. Basically what Yacht said in a sense, if the unit could fit within the scope of the game and do something interesting, provide a balance feature, or be unique, the time frame shouldn't have mattered (within some reason, like the Rafale).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 10, 2014

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yeah I don't mind adding in units just because they're cool either, it's just that it's so dumb that they keep saying one thing and doing another.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Honestly if they just wrote and committed to their alternate timeline it'd be a lot less frustrating than the sort of wishy-washy bullcrap they pull that makes every decision look somehow wrong headed in multiple directions. Never stop complaining about Javelins.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Black Eagle can suck a dick. None of its components were proven to even work, it was pretty much all just advertising poo poo. Since there STILL isnt a tank that mounts an AA radar on it just for shits and giggles, even if the USSR DID continue to exist, producing that tank would gently caress it over enough that it wouldnt exist for long. T80UM2? More like "T80UM-P-U(what a stinker!)

Granted BLUFOR tanks were inferior for W:EE and ALB, then when they were on top in RD it was suddenly necessary to nerf 'em down from RL specs. Shameful.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Is it cool/necessary? Add it. No other questions, just add what will make the game better. Also don't let madmat say a word about infantry units.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

xthetenth posted:

Also don't let madmat say a word about units.

xthetenth posted:

Also don't let madmat say a word.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
In wargame: airland battle I usually played with a couple of friends and we're getting back into wargame now, but I have NO idea how to make a deck that works like what i loved playing before. Usually I played as mixed Warsaw pact 75, with tons of east german regulars and reservists with cheap tanks and choppers, FJB in first generation hind gunships to seize cities and huge numbers of Polish Napalm bombers and cheap Migs for cluster bombing . It worked AMAZINGLY both on defense as long as there were buildings to grind the enemy down in and on the offense both alone (swarm like attacks covered by GRAD stuns and napalm) and together with my one or two friends usually playing high end Soviet, but I'm having trouble making anything like it now in the new system, and would love some help from you veterans.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Nuclear War posted:

In wargame: airland battle I usually played with a couple of friends and we're getting back into wargame now, but I have NO idea how to make a deck that works like what i loved playing before. Usually I played as mixed Warsaw pact 75, with tons of east german regulars and reservists with cheap tanks and choppers, FJB in first generation hind gunships to seize cities and huge numbers of Polish Napalm bombers and cheap Migs for cluster bombing . It worked AMAZINGLY both on defense as long as there were buildings to grind the enemy down in and on the offense both alone (swarm like attacks covered by GRAD stuns and napalm) and together with my one or two friends usually playing high end Soviet, but I'm having trouble making anything like it now in the new system, and would love some help from you veterans.

You kind of can't now, because of how a lot of things changed. Era restrictions give you a (fairly useless) AP bonus instead of availability and the fact thatcheap tanks are really much more dead-weight now. I've had some success with a playstyle like that using Chinese decks, though -- the Li Jian'90 in the Z-9 is fantastic for forward deployment, and you can pair them with some excellent AA helos for counter-rushing and forward air net coverage. You don't have the Napalm bombers of an ALB pact deck, but you've got rockets of all kinds for your supporting fire. And obviously waves of various infantries for pure coverage. It's been a while since I've played (basically waiting for the patches/DLC to come out and the game to stabilize at this point) but for the specific "get their first and hold the line while your high-tech team-mates spearhead" role you seem to be describing I have found the Chinese to be a lot of fun, if not necessarily "good" by an absolute standard.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
I find motorized decks rather effective in this role. You have a mix of heliborne and land-based infantry as well as decent helicopters and light-ish tanks.

NSWP and USSR are basically tied for best motorized deck on REDFOR (with NSWP having better infantry and USSR having better armor, helicopters and air), followed by Red Dragons and China national.

RangerPL fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 14, 2014

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Hubis posted:

You kind of can't now, because of how a lot of things changed. Era restrictions give you a (fairly useless) AP bonus instead of availability and the fact thatcheap tanks are really much more dead-weight now. I've had some success with a playstyle like that using Chinese decks, though -- the Li Jian'90 in the Z-9 is fantastic for forward deployment, and you can pair them with some excellent AA helos for counter-rushing and forward air net coverage. You don't have the Napalm bombers of an ALB pact deck, but you've got rockets of all kinds for your supporting fire. And obviously waves of various infantries for pure coverage. It's been a while since I've played (basically waiting for the patches/DLC to come out and the game to stabilize at this point) but for the specific "get their first and hold the line while your high-tech team-mates spearhead" role you seem to be describing I have found the Chinese to be a lot of fun, if not necessarily "good" by an absolute standard.

I'll try and make a Chinese deck now then. Made a quick stab at making a Warzaw Pact deck like in the old days, haven't tried it out yet. First try at a Warzaw deck made for meatgrinder play: tYG1oKfblNBT7cpEUfblGa1MhDvUi0GJFoMSLQYnPJlueTLhDvUyKp6TxQbJ96kQqIIj3KJ8FDxNJf5IQm4LSE6UhCa1NajWLvETmC7BdkezdbZJ8k+SsQzEYuETKMi1acU=

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Yeah I don't mind adding in units just because they're cool either, it's just that it's so dumb that they keep saying one thing and doing another.

The core issue is that once you've thrown out 'historicity' as a reason for your rosters being the way they are, then there's no reason for the next factor not to be 'game balance' rather than coolness.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Alchenar posted:

The core issue is that once you've thrown out 'historicity' as a reason for your rosters being the way they are, then there's no reason for the next factor not to be 'game balance' rather than coolness.

I don't really agree. How does "historicity" have anything to do with balance other than possibly hinder it?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I don't really agree. How does "historicity" have anything to do with balance other than possibly hinder it?

MadMat™

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Well today's unit of the day is the Strv 121 as predicted.

Glad they found a loophole to their own stupid rule.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well today's unit of the day is the Strv 121 as predicted.

Glad they found a loophole to their own stupid rule.

I think it was the balanced-focus marshalls who called this one outright. They said straight up and broke down how a heavy was essential, and thankfully Eugen conceded to their arguments.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

I think it was the balanced-focus marshalls who called this one outright. They said straight up and broke down how a heavy was essential, and thankfully Eugen conceded to their arguments.

So uh, Heavy Tank for China when? Otherwise the Red Dragons are going to be absolutely poo poo outta luck as 2 T-90S are not going to cut it.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
It's pretty sad how both Blue and Red Dragons are getting shafted because they don't have large fanbases for Eugen to appease. All the threads asking for BD buffs are run by USA players.

Also, while we're talking about breaking rules, USA doesn't get an infantry TOW while Sweden gets this as an infantry weapon:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It'd be so awesome if Eugen had actually used the coalitions idea to make a bunch of factions that could all be reasonably considered well-rounded without glaring capability gaps. That'd be super cool. But no, apparently having consistent rules is hard.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

RangerPL posted:

It's pretty sad how both Blue and Red Dragons are getting shafted because they don't have large fanbases for Eugen to appease. All the threads asking for BD buffs are run by USA players.

Also, while we're talking about breaking rules, USA doesn't get an infantry TOW while Sweden gets this as an infantry weapon:

Hahaha, holy poo poo, how the hell do they justify that internally?

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
Well they can add more new weapons but the east are a bit behind.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RangerPL posted:

Apparently South Korea has Metis-Ms in real life...

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Generation Internet posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo, how the hell do they justify that internally?

It comes as the AT weapon for a light infantry/mountain infantry squad (basically arctic rangers) that historically could tow the thing on a sled behind a pair of skiers. In winter, that is. In summer they probably didn't bring it for longer excursions on foot since including the wheeled carriage it weighs about 260 kg. Then the HEAT rounds weigh over 10 kg each...

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 16, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

RangerPL posted:

What the gently caress?

The various excuses for the TOW thing I've heard are:
* It's too heavy
* It's too hard to animate
* It's a "mounted weapon according to doctrine"
* It's too powerful

I'd be happier at this point if the official reason were:
* gently caress you

e: just hopped over onto the official forums and it seems neither BTR nor Graphic are still mods over there. I've been vaguely aware of some sort of major marshal massacre going on but jesus christ

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 16, 2014

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
I don't know why BTR quit, but Graphic basically told me that he's fed up with MadMat and doesn't see the point of taking time out of his day to moderate the forums if he's going to be ignored and condescended to by him.

Shame, aside from Shifu (who is rarely around), Graphic was easily the least bad of all the mods.

I don't think there's been a marshal massacre aside from Xerxes' ban, most of the good ones just left on their own. I don't blame them, apparently orcbuster is the only one Madmat listens to anymore. So if Norway looks suspiciously overmodeled in the DLC, you know why.

RangerPL fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 16, 2014

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

Apparently South Korea has Metis-Ms in real life...

Aquired due to Russia paying off outstanding debts in arms instead of cash. Not likely to happen in the Wargame TL.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
IIRC they have a like battalion sized formation equipped with BMP-3 and T-80 for the same reason as well.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Magni posted:

Aquired due to Russia paying off outstanding debts in arms instead of cash. Not likely to happen in the Wargame TL.

TsarZiedonis posted:

IIRC they have a like battalion sized formation equipped with BMP-3 and T-80 for the same reason as well.

That's actually pretty funny.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

That'd help Blue Dragons out pretty nicely actually.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

TsarZiedonis posted:

And to what I have heard, they're very happy with the kit as well!

RangerPL posted:

I don't know why BTR quit, but Graphic basically told me that he's fed up with MadMat and doesn't see the point of taking time out of his day to moderate the forums if he's going to be ignored and condescended to by him.

Shame, aside from Shifu (who is rarely around), Graphic was easily the least bad of all the mods.

I don't think there's been a marshal massacre aside from Xerxes' ban, most of the good ones just left on their own. I don't blame them, apparently orcbuster is the only one Madmat listens to anymore. So if Norway looks suspiciously overmodeled in the DLC, you know why.

To what I've been told, Drrty-D has also been banned for disagreeing with MM too much.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
To really get into the spirit of the game, Madmat's just been role-playing as Stalin this entire time.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Mange Mite posted:

That's actually pretty funny.
It's also why Finland has Buks! :eng101:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

And to what I have heard, they're very happy with the kit as well!

I thought they'd been talking about horrible numbers for the Metis-M?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I thought they'd been talking about horrible numbers for the Metis-M?

Admittedly, I was speaking of the T-80U and BMP-3. Dunnoi about the Metis-M.

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=796_1415997489

Live fire of various russian equipment.

Thought it was pretty cool.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

...the poo poo is the point of this thing?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Minenfeld! posted:

If we were still playing ALB, I would say providing air defense for RR jeeps on Ragnarok

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger

Minenfeld! posted:

Gotta give Norway a SPAAG somehow. It will probably be about as useful as the RR jeeps or Maxon AA trucks. Given the boner Orcbuster seems to have for the CV9030N and its AA sight, I guess that there will be little use to even bother with a dinky 20mm on a flatbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Mortabis posted:

If we were still playing ALB, I would say providing air defense for RR jeeps on Ragnarok

Were RR jeeps ever good? I've never played ALB.

• Locked thread