Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonbon
Feb 15, 2004
sdf
I literally just made this today: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bm9rbfvon6x49hn/pdx.zip

You could add txt to the file type, or just ctrl-shift-p and pdx will usually get you to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Apoffys posted:

Something like that could work, though 15% might be too conservative.
Extremely conservative. At the start of the Grand Campaign in Vicky II, Russia's total score is 25% below the UK's, France's 39%, Prussia's and Austria's 55%, Spain's 71%, the Ottomans' 74%, and the US's 77%. In the A House Divided campaign, France's score is 14% below the UK's, Prussia's 26%, Russia's 42%, Austria's 50%, Italy's 38%, the Ottomans' 66%, Spain's 74%.

Now, I'm not saying all these countries necessarily deserve to be called Great Powers at those points in time, but the UK certainly doesn't deserve to claim sole great power either. Perhaps instead of simply making a comparison to the #1, perhaps make it to world? For example, the total score of civilized states in 1861 is 2863. If we defined the limit of Great Power status as being in the top 8 AND having at least 5% of the total score of civilized states, Spain would cease to be great power, while the Ottomans would be very close to dropping out of GP status. Secondary Powers could likewise be limited, in this case to civilized countries with at least 1% the global score, though not limited to 8 like in Victoria II.

In such a system, remaining a GP wouldn't just be a matter of competing with everyone below you, you'd also be competing with the ones above you who might pull so far ahead that the threshold for being a GP moves past you. In most campaigns, I think this would result in a natural narrowing of the GP field as you move forward, instead of Great Powers-in-name-only making a mess of things by becoming GP's for a year before dropping down again.

At the same time, I do think marking out the top tier GP(s) would make a lot of sense. Maybe the number one GP, plus any GP within 20% (just to make it easier to figure out for the player) of their score, could get a "World Power"* status, which for example would make it so every crisis in the world was their business, not just on their continent. They could also be the natural poles around which great war alliances form. In that case, there only being a single World Power would mean the world is too stable, with power too concentrated in one place to result in a great war. Then, if a challenger appears, the former sole WP would suddenly have to commit to actually containing this new rival, which would escalate poo poo and see other powers align with either side, eventually culminating in a great war. Perhaps they could have some additional diplomatic options too, which were centered around stabilizing the global system in which they enjoy a preeminent position.

At the same time as the top tier GP(s) get those new diplomatic options to stabilize the global system, perhaps secondary powers could get more abilities pertaining to shaking things up? Basically, being able to able to approach GP's for their support in various endeavors, to causes crises, stuff like that.

*Global Power kinda clashes with GP when abbreviated.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Is there a release date for HoI4? or anything more definite than 2015Q1?

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Is there a release date for HoI4? or anything more definite than 2015Q1?

nope

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fighting in Russia in December and I'm finally discovering the full impact of mud and ice to HoI warfare. It's pretty well done, I think

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I have a question for any of you lot who have knowledge of coding with Victoria 2, modding or not. Do any of you know, just off the top of your head, what would make V2 crash from clicking on the release nations tab... for *some* countries, but not all?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Question for the paradox thread. Eu4 and Ck2 both run fine on my computer, but the load times are always agonizingly long when I start up each program. Any idea why that is or what I can do to allow them to load faster?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Realizing another problem in my war with Russia- they have billion VP provinces. I can probably take Leningrad and Moscow this year, maybe even Stalingrad- but if that isn't enough then I'm in trouble.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Quantumfate posted:

Question for the paradox thread. Eu4 and Ck2 both run fine on my computer, but the load times are always agonizingly long when I start up each program. Any idea why that is or what I can do to allow them to load faster?

What's agonizing here? EU4 still takes about a minute to start for me, despite having it installed on an SSD, and a system designed for new FPSs. Just lots and lots of database stuff to initialize I think.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Realizing another problem in my war with Russia- they have billion VP provinces. I can probably take Leningrad and Moscow this year, maybe even Stalingrad- but if that isn't enough then I'm in trouble.

It won't be if you haven't been lowering their NU constantly. How is Vladivostok doing? That's another 10 VP right there. I've done multiple Barbarossas and there's always been this massively anticlimactic trudge past Moscow and into the Caucasus.

Invading the US has the same problem: switch on the AI, put objective markers on VP provinces, set game to highest speed, check victory progress in the diplomatic screen periodically, do some math, wait, etc.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Koesj posted:

It won't be if you haven't been lowering their NU constantly. How is Vladivostok doing? That's another 10 VP right there. I've done multiple Barbarossas and there's always been this massively anticlimactic trudge past Moscow and into the Caucasus.

Invading the US has the same problem: switch on the AI, put objective markers on VP provinces, set game to highest speed, check victory progress in the diplomatic screen periodically, do some math, wait, etc.

Japan (now an Ally) took Vladivostok, but I'm worried they won't be able to hold it. Basically all of Russia's armor in in the East, and nobody has any to counter them. I'm tempted to switch over to the US and force them to send in some armor to counter it, but I'm not really eager to manage getting the armor over there.

I've had them on lower NU since at least the start of the conflict, so 7-8 months?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

That isn't enough and you are in trouble.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm pretty sure you're not the first person to say this.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The Soviets have 181 VPs and a national unity of 77% at the start of Barbarossa = ~141 VPs needed to take them down, and If you succeed in nabbing Leningrad/Moscow/Stalingrad only 20 or so points should remain. Astrakhan and (parts of) the Caucasus will get you halfway, the 6 or so VP provinces 'immediately' east of Moscow and Stalingrad do the same, and there's always landings to be had in Murmansk and Archangelsk for laughs.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

FadingChord posted:

I'm pretty sure you're not the first person to say this.

Hahaha

edit- I realize I haven't been using the "allied objective" tool really, and if I can get it to work I'll probably be fine. I can pretty much take any province I want, but I was worried the Russians would eventually cut my forces off from the allied front and supplies. I'm assuming if I set a bunch of objectives at or 2-3 provinces behind the Russian front it'll keep them tied up?

double edit- I should probably just take their troops as expeditionary forces, easier to control and can set up a better line. Just going to take another hour of playing around on pause tagging other nations :(

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 16, 2014

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

PittTheElder posted:

What's agonizing here? EU4 still takes about a minute to start for me, despite having it installed on an SSD, and a system designed for new FPSs. Just lots and lots of database stuff to initialize I think.

It can take up to fifteen minutes fo rme to load up sometimes. Which can be frustrating trying to play with friends. Crashes, checksum differences, etc.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Crusader Kings II likes to crash while loading a lot I've noticed.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Quantumfate posted:

It can take up to fifteen minutes fo rme to load up sometimes. Which can be frustrating trying to play with friends. Crashes, checksum differences, etc.

if it takes 15 minutes you have some serious hardware problems and should probably run a bunch of diagnostic tools.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So it's mid-august and we've finally reached Stalingrad. I feel like I would have gotten there sooner, but for whatever reason all my units are listed as supplied by Leningrad? Seems like there are some ports in the Black Sea I should be able to use as well, but afaik I can't even manually set up a convoy to there.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So it's mid-august and we've finally reached Stalingrad. I feel like I would have gotten there sooner, but for whatever reason all my units are listed as supplied by Leningrad? Seems like there are some ports in the Black Sea I should be able to use as well, but afaik I can't even manually set up a convoy to there.

Do you have a Bulgarian port to ship from? Because otherwise you're talking about shipping it through the Bosphorous, so you'd need access through there. Though, tbh, overland to Bulgaria and by ship to Azov or wherever doesn't sound like much of a saving versus ship to Leningrad and overland from there. Or even overland direct to Stalingrad.

...on the other hand, Russia's infra is pretty poo poo, so.

I would not immediately assume that the computer is wrong about this.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Do you have a Bulgarian port to ship from? Because otherwise you're talking about shipping it through the Bosphorous, so you'd need access through there. Though, tbh, overland to Bulgaria and by ship to Azov or wherever doesn't sound like much of a saving versus ship to Leningrad and overland from there. Or even overland direct to Stalingrad.

...on the other hand, Russia's infra is pretty poo poo, so.

I would not immediately assume that the computer is wrong about this.

We've (the allies, since the provinces are a patchwork mess of French owned and Romanian owned there) had Odessa and some nearby ports for a while now. Can Turkey prevent you from shipping through the Bosphorous? Agreed Russia's infrastructure is bad, but right now it seems like the computer is trying to ship through the big marsh just outside of Minsk, which was the biggest infrastructure mess I've seen so far.

welp- didn't matter, Stalingrad was all I needed to defeat the Soviets. I didn't think Kerensky was still alive in 45, but welp he's running the place now. Which is probably a lot less worse than Stalin.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 16, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

...and 3 months after we install democracy in Russia, the US decides to conquer Russia. The US can't even get its troops across an ocean without screwing up...

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

welp- didn't matter, Stalingrad was all I needed to defeat the Soviets. I didn't think Kerensky was still alive in 45, but welp he's running the place now. Which is probably a lot less worse than Stalin.

Lived until 1970

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Farecoal posted:

Lived until 1970

Yowza- I suppose I could just google this myself- but was he in Russia at that point? I just kind of assumed he'd have been purged by someone.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Kerensky was smuggled out of Petrograd during the October Revolution in a US diplomatic car, moved to France shortly after his initial attempt to lead a counter-revolution with forces near Petrograd failed, then moved to the US in 1940.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 16, 2014

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yowza- I suppose I could just google this myself- but was he in Russia at that point? I just kind of assumed he'd have been purged by someone.

He was in exile for the rest of his life. He hopped between places for awhile until settling in New York, where he died. I always feel kinda bad for him, lots of local Orthodox churches would not allow him to be buried there because he was blamed for allowing Bolshevism to come to power. He was eventually buried somewhere in London, if I recall.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Well now I feel really swell for putting him in power. Just have to figure out what I can do to keep the US from deciding to conquer them...

I know the HoI wiki said a lot of wargoals were broken, but I kinda hate having to choose between installing a democracy and puppeting. It mean I have to choose between my imaginary world where Hitler is left in charge of Germany and a world where installing democracy in a country immediately gets me booted out of it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Kerensky taught Russian history at Stanford University for a while and a popular anecdote goes that a student once argued that his assumptions about Kerensky's motivations were wrong. Kerensky ended that debate pretty fast by letting him know that he was that Alexander Kerensky.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Kerensky taught Russian history at Stanford University for a while and a popular anecdote goes that a student once argued that his assumptions about Kerensky's motivations were wrong. Kerensky ended that debate pretty fast by letting him know that he was that Alexander Kerensky.

Yeah but it turned out the student was a former US marine and also Albert Einstein...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:golfclap:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Crusader Kings II likes to crash while loading a lot I've noticed.
What OS are you running? I have Windows 7 32-bit and ended up trawling through the tech support forums to find out that I had to manually rejigger some memory allocation thing through command line prompts. CK2 was crashing like mad before I did that, but now it's been fine. The computer itself is behaving in novel new ways, but parts of it are a half-decade old so I probably deserve it at this point.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Actually, Mr. A. Kerensky with the thick Russian accent, I think I know a bit better than you what Kerensky's real motivations were :smug:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

What OS are you running? I have Windows 7 32-bit and ended up trawling through the tech support forums to find out that I had to manually rejigger some memory allocation thing through command line prompts. CK2 was crashing like mad before I did that, but now it's been fine. The computer itself is behaving in novel new ways, but parts of it are a half-decade old so I probably deserve it at this point.

I'm running Windows 8.1. :smithicide: Something happened when I updated to .1 and I can't access my driver console anymore so I can't make any adjustments to my graphics card. I've read the instructions on how to update my driver, which should help, but I'm so confused by what happens as I'm uninstalling my graphics driver that I haven't tried to fix it in fear of breaking my only remaining computer.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah but it turned out the student was a former US marine and also Albert Einstein...

Kerensky then threw himself from the nearest window for unleashing the spectre of godless communism upon the world. Col. Einstein was carried to the quad on the shoulders of his fellow students and then proved the existence of the Christian God with his new theorem.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kerensky then threw himself from the nearest window for unleashing the spectre of godless communism upon the world. Col. Einstein was carried to the quad on the shoulders of his fellow students and then proved the existence of the Christian God with his new theorem.

Please share with you are friends if thats the America you remember!

So I'm working through the post-war period again, and the US really seems to have its heart set on going to war with Russia. I kept tagging over to demobilize them every time I was told they were getting ready for war, but even demobilized the US just has to get its war on. Also noticed that the massive Eastern Russian army I never dealt with was still stuck in Communist China since they didn't have rights to pass (or leave as the case was)...so basically the US declaring war activates 20-30 armored divisions in the middle of north China. Something tells me Mao and Truman won't be seated next to each other at the annual Allied banquet and awards show. I guess my best bet now is to try and read through the entire save file and find the US's threat rating against Russia and lower it?

Also noticed on second-glance that Kerensky has named a Mr. Stalin as his chief of the army. That...probably won't end well.

So HoI 3 specific question- you can't upgrade your ships ever, right? I believe someone said you could upgrade them in a friendly port in 2, but I'm not seeing any little wrench button to do that. It makes sense I guess, but just want to be sure I'm not missing anything.

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
I've been trying to play the Serjba and Friends mod for Vic 2, but keep getting CTDs that come continuously starting around the mid 1850s. Does anyone know if there are any solutions to this besides a clean reinstall which I am about to try? The only change I've made to the game is to change soldier pops to be capital only and I am doubtful that would have a huge effect. I'm really enjoying the alt-history Europe.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

So HoI 3 specific question- you can't upgrade your ships ever, right? I believe someone said you could upgrade them in a friendly port in 2, but I'm not seeing any little wrench button to do that. It makes sense I guess, but just want to be sure I'm not missing anything.

You can upgrade AA, Radar, ASW for DDs and CLs, and also Sub torpedoes IIRC. Can't remember if you have to be in port.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Koesj posted:

You can upgrade AA, Radar, ASW for DDs and CLs, and also Sub torpedoes IIRC. Can't remember if you have to be in port.

If they're not in port, they don't get upgraded. Same with planes, they only get upgraded when they're in the airport, not flying missions. Your engineers and workers are good, but not good enough to replace the engines of a plane while it's flying or adding a massive overhaul of the ASW system while underway :v:

Some mods do let you upgrade ships via little wrench button, but I've never seen a mod let you do that to anything but DDs and SS.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thanks- I thought as much but figured I could be missing something- for example I now have 2 nuclear bombs built and I have no idea how to use them. Granted I'm not at war, but still it'd be nice to test them on some atolls out in the middle of nowhere or something :)

Modded my save file to convince America that dragging everyone into an unprovoked war with Russia 3 months after we'd just defeated them didn't make much sense. So it's been a boring year- just about everyone is in the Allies now aside from Sinkiang being the last Comintern member and a handful of unaligned nations. Maybe Russia will re-take the Baltics again or Spain will decide to knock out that fascist regime in Portugal? But really I'm just running out the tech tree to see what forgotten planes and ships I can build and re-organizing my army a bit.

Looking forward, I guess it's nice that the specter of international communism can't hover over every other diplomatic event in the second half of the 20th century? But I wonder how rough post-colonialism is going to be (or more if and when it will be) in a world where France and Britain didn't get stomped around Asia and North Africa for a few years. And I wonder how long things will remain nice between Nationalist and Communist China- I don't imagine they're going to reconcile soon. Luckily all these people live in a world monitored by a benevolent figure with a handful of console commands, who's looking out for all of them. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Please share with you are friends if thats the America you remember!

So I'm working through the post-war period again, and the US really seems to have its heart set on going to war with Russia. I kept tagging over to demobilize them every time I was told they were getting ready for war, but even demobilized the US just has to get its war on. Also noticed that the massive Eastern Russian army I never dealt with was still stuck in Communist China since they didn't have rights to pass (or leave as the case was)...so basically the US declaring war activates 20-30 armored divisions in the middle of north China. Something tells me Mao and Truman won't be seated next to each other at the annual Allied banquet and awards show. I guess my best bet now is to try and read through the entire save file and find the US's threat rating against Russia and lower it?

Also noticed on second-glance that Kerensky has named a Mr. Stalin as his chief of the army. That...probably won't end well.

You might be the first person to actually play a HOI 3 game this far, so I wouldn't be surprised if even more weird stuff starts happening. If you're lucky, maybe the US will declare war on Australia or something.

• Locked thread