Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Army air cav (cav scout) is trying to justify its existence until the inevitable happens. They will all get rotated to Korea, draw down, then get deactivated as everyone is sent to supplement the CABs. The 'attack reconnaissance' community will have a fun time integrating with the attack guys and the utility guys will just laugh. 58s are awesome but the 64 can easily fill that niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
58s are useless

Their engines are poo poo. They lose any strength they had there with the mandatory equipping of CMWS in Afghanistan.
They carry, I believe, 300rds .50cal and something like 8 or 9 rockets.

Pilots draw an "x" with a grease pencil on the front glass to aim their .50cals and rockets.

The optics (that drat ball on top) they use are ~10 years older than the Apache's. Kiowas were meant to scout enemy tanks for apaches to hellfire from 6-8km away. Apaches' FLIR finds bad guys better than anything kiowas can do.

They fly low, act like literal cowboys, blow their ammo load in 2 gun runs having scared nobody, then fire the 9 mils into the dirt and jerk each off about it in the debrief.

Then the apaches come back 6 hours later with an 8 hour gun tape footage of clearing a mountainside with a half dozen hellfires and several hundred 30mm rounds. Half of which they found on their own and half from ISR handoff via laser or something else. Kiowa FLIR "gun tape" footage looks like pong. That poo poo was barely enough to catch the heat off tanks.

The role of air cav could be filled by a modern airframe with modern equipment. But we keep loving that up by giving candidates away to foreign militaries.The OH58D is DOA in the cav role since we have UAVs and AH64Ds. Especially in the thin air of Afghanistan. I guess we won't always be there but w/e.

The problem is not the OH58D, but the system that "works" by continuing to send them overseas and allow pilots to go near the things. The problem is the OH58D pilots themselves, who are so butthurt at their lack of battlefield utility that they fly and work more recklessly than MEDEVAC pilots, and without any possible reward, eg retrieving an urgent casualty from a TIC. The OH58D pilot community is by and large angry babies that hate the army, think they're hot poo poo (remember: air cav), and poo poo on everyone else to distract from their uselessness in any fight.

Doesn't matter; kiowas are out by 2018.

http://www.army.mil/article/135986/Aviation_Restructure_Initiative__OH_58D_personnel_transition_plan_under_way/

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I apologize for killing this thread twice in two pages.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Zeris posted:

I apologize for killing this thread twice in two pages.

:fap:

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Zeris posted:

They fly low, act like literal cowboys, blow their ammo load in 2 gun runs having scared nobody, then fire the 9 mils into the dirt and jerk each off about it in the debrief.

First time we had a SWT rolling with us was pretty fun. Front row at our own private air show. Then it became clear they were reckless, useless idiots.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

iKon posted:

First time we had a SWT rolling with us was pretty fun. Front row at our own private air show. Then it became clear they were reckless, useless idiots.

My first deployment we had SWT all the drat time. Not much for firepower but that camera helped us out a few times.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

boots gonna boot

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

TACP airman joins ranks of military's most decorated

quote:

Master Sgt. Thomas Case, a tactical air control party airman, has joined the ranks of the military's most decorated troops.

Case, a TACP airman with the 18th Air Support Operations Group at Pope Field, N.C., was awarded the Silver Star an oak leaf cluster Thursday for an overnight battle in Afghanistan in 2009 when he was assigned to a group of Army Rangers in a notoriously dangerous part of Paktia province.

Case stood up during the gun battle, laying down suppressive fire with his M4 and directed five troops to remain behind cover.

"Due to the extreme close proximity of friendly forces to the enemy, and with bullets still hitting within feet of his position, he again willingly stood up while under fire in order to make sure the rounds from the AC-130 hit the correct target area," Case's citation reads.

After the second danger-close strike, Case saw two insurgents running down the hill shooting at him and the team's ground force commander. As they got within 15 meters, Case placed himself between the insurgents and the commander. Directing the commander to take cover, Case shot both insurgents with his M4. They both turned out to be heavily trained foreign fighters, the citation states.

As the battle continued, the enemy moved higher and began throwing grenades at the team. One grenade exploded about 10 feet from Case, damaging his helmet and wounding two Rangers.

He continued to direct more air strikes, calling for six more before he moved to link up with the lead element in order to get eyes on the insurgent's entrenched position.

"With the dust and haze from the airstrikes bringing visibility to near zero, he climbed 50 meters up a 60 degree embankment to reach the fire team leader, all while under enemy fire," the citation states.

Once there, he fixed his radio to call for four more AC-130 strikes on three enemy personnel about 100 meters away. Two more insurgents moved to flank, and Case used a grenade and his M-4 to kill them both.

"It all becomes a blur to me," Case said. "At the same time, we just kept doing (air strikes) until we had regained our freedom to maneuver. The engagement lasted most of the night. … It could have been 30 minutes, it could have been two hours.

"We just continued to hammer the enemy."

After the battle ended, the team was able to complete its mission. An after-action report showed 18 insurgents were killed.

"We didn't know how many (insurgents) were there prior to infiltration, we just expected some enemy combatants," Case said. "We didn't expect the fight we faced when we got there."

As the haze cleared, it became apparent that the team's wrong turn was actually a blessing in disguise. The enemy's position had a "commanding view" of the team's original target area, with large-scale weapons directed where the team would have ended up, Case said.

I know AARs and debriefs mean nothing against the actual events of a TIC but holy hell, this is some Hurt Locker crap in the report.

Also lol

quote:

This is really for my career field. I firmly believe that, of the other certified JTACs, I'm almost positive that 98 percent plus of them would have done what I did. I just went to work that night."

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
That guy is cooler than me.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

jesus christ

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

at the date posted:

jesus christ

Which one is he banging?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Flikken posted:

Which one is he banging?

Jesus was a virgin

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cole posted:

Jesus was a virgin

The son of God definitely hosed someone.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
What a dope rear end pickup line that must have been

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Flikken posted:

Which one is he banging?

both

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

acus really are the worst goddam uniform

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Cole posted:

What a dope rear end pickup line that must have been

worked for david koresh for a bit

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Think he will hate gently caress her for misspelling sergeant.?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Flikken posted:

Think he will hate gently caress her for misspelling sergeant.?

she joined the army for a reason dude

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Cole posted:

she joined the army for a reason dude

The military is an all you can suck dick buffet for women.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

The military is an equal opportunity all you can suck dick buffet.

fixed for accuracy

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
Can't wait to read about a line platoon getting the herp from their new 13F, and the safety stand down that follows.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

TPSDude posted:

Can't wait to read about a line platoon getting the herp from their new 13F, and the safety stand down that follows.

Is 13F open to all genders now?

What are 13 series MOS??

Please say 13B please please

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Gonna bring a whole new meaning to "fister" lol

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
looks like the rock hard sisters want a big ole ffe.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon

Zeris posted:

Is 13F open to all genders now?
Naw, still closed.

Big army came through Ft. Hood in early 2014 collecting data on feasibility for a possible implementation this fiscal year, and the big take away was that company and below is a no/maybe, and BN/above ok; we have female medics running with line platoons now, just a matter of time with radios / laser range finders getting smaller and lighter.

EDIT: I should also add that when our BN targeting NCO was at SLC mid 2014, his class was pretty upset hearing it was going to happen and how they are going to have to figure out manning when it does. This is going to kill 13F unfortunately, the MOS is already filled with way to many reclasses that do not know how to do the job. Specifically the glut of E7 re-classes that are preventing 13F E6s from making rank, of which my bn has been plagued with.

TPSDude fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 16, 2014

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

TPSDude posted:

Naw, still closed.

Big army came through Ft. Hood in early 2014 collecting data on feasibility for a possible implementation this fiscal year, and the big take away was that company and below is a no/maybe, and BN/above ok; we have female medics running with line platoons now, just a matter of time with radios / laser range finders getting smaller and lighter.

EDIT: I should also add that when our BN targeting NCO was at SLC mid 2014, his class was pretty upset hearing it was going to happen and how they are going to have to figure out manning when it does. This is going to kill 13F unfortunately, the MOS is already filled with way to many reclasses that do not know how to do the job. Specifically the glut of E7 re-classes that are preventing 13F E6s from making rank, of which my bn has been plagued with.

The reclass thing is news to me, but 13F skills were on the decline when I was in. Granted, this was the height of Iraq and focus was just shifting over to Afghanistan, but GMLRS and Excalibur missions were so rare (good luck w/ a BN 6 or a ffe on my position situation overseas) that we were sent as either patrol fodder or company level intelligence. The smartest thing the army could possibly do is assign mil intelligence duties to a FO. Totally compatible. So the aspect of training on spotting and adjustment fell to the way side while emphasis was placed on baseball cards and other poo poo that would have been better served by beefing up the bn S-2 and pushing those assets where needed.

I never sat in the cool dude mountains of Afghanistan, but my peeps that did said that they were running relatively mobile OPs while attached to maneuver elements. So those skills theoretically didn't decline, but there was a significant gap for a few years where most observers I knew were not recerted every six months as required and the GUARDFIST facilities gathered dust.

gently caress, some of the dumb poo poo Joes that I was fortunate to get around '07 had not spotted a live artillery round until one of our CALFEXes months deep into our training cycle.

Probably the only good thing that was done for the MOS was the emphasized JFO course, but that only came about because the JTACs got tired of their high tempo deployment schedule of six on and twelve off.

poo poo was bad, and I'm honestly surprised that there are people reclassing INTO 13F. I assume it's a combo of manpower needs and easy promotion potential, correct?

Fucitol fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 16, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Fucitol posted:

The reclass thing is news to me, but 13F skills were on the decline when I was in. Granted, this was the height of Iraq and focus was just shifting over to Afghanistan, but GMLRS and Excalibur missions were so rare (good luck w/ a BN 6 or a ffe on my position situation overseas) that we were sent as either patrol fodder or company level intelligence. The smartest thing the army could possibly do is assign mil intelligence duties to a FO. Totally compatible. So the aspect of training on spotting and adjustment fell to the way side while emphasis was placed on baseball cards and other poo poo that would have been better served by beefing up the bn S-2 and pushing those assets where needed.

I never sat in the cool dude mountains of Afghanistan, but my peeps that did said that they were running relatively mobile OPs while attached to maneuver elements. So those skills theoretically didn't decline, but there was a significant gap for a few years where most observers I knew were not recerted every six months as required and the GUARDFIST facilities gathered dust.

gently caress, some of the dumb poo poo Joes that I was fortunate to get around '07 had not spotted a live artillery round until one of our CALFEXes months deep into our training cycle.

Probably the only good thing that was done for the MOS was the emphasized JFO course, but that only came about because the JTACs got tired of their high tempo deployment schedule of six on and twelve off.

poo poo was bad, and I'm honestly surprised that there are people reclassing INTO 13F. I assume it's a combo of manpower needs and easy promotion potential, correct?

It is 100% the low promotion points.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon
FA is already aligned with S2 though as all spot reports and tgt descriptions are passed to them at BN level.

I didn't get a shot at Iraq, but the ghan was all about smoking hills, and hitting dumb fucks with HE when I was there, but I've met some FO's from other units that were used as RTO's and 240 ammo mules since their commander would never trust FA.

The problem is the lack of training due to NCO's that do not know how to train their subordinates since they never did line time and do not know how to create a proper training plan or NCO's promoted before they've learned their line jobs and are now in charge of training new soldiers. Things are supposed to get better with the plan to run all people through JFO, but at the end of the day JFO's can't control CAS, they only aid the JTACS in targeting. The MOS was overstrength for a few months and is now back at balanced, but manning is still hosed up, in my heavy mech maneuver battalion we run skeleton crews in our BFISTs of 2 enlisted one O. No dismount FOs for the infantry platoons/scouts, and god help trying to process CFF from 11Bs, 19Ds, or officers to fill the gap. Without the line FOs to teach their unit CFF during Hip pocket training you get dumb poo poo like people using cardinal direction for their observer direction for adjustment. gently caress, reading a map is still magic to most maneuver enlisted.

Equine Don posted:

It is 100% the low promotion points.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

One on the left would hit

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Ashmole posted:

would smash both the guy in the hat can watch and mayb play wit my balls

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ashmole posted:

yeah with a hammer lol

seriously, though, if you were forced to choose, you would go with the one on the left? weirdo

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

at the date posted:

yeah with a hammer lol

seriously, though, if you were forced to choose, you would go with the one on the left? weirdo

I would just choose both

Anyone here says they haven't tagged something worse is either lying, gay or a dickless virgin.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
like youd have to tempt the lefty with an apple first cuz she got a mr ed face goin on but yea would smash from the back

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
they make horse blinders for women, right?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Patriot Act. Put a flag over her head and say you did it for your country.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Update on that thing nobody wants to hear about, my former squadron commander who knocked a kid to the floor in the process of "preventing the filming of two lesbian officers kissing at a military ball"

Former Fort Drum officer sues Army, claims unlawful punishment following incident at 2012 ball

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zeris posted:

Update on that thing nobody wants to hear about, my former squadron commander who knocked a kid to the floor in the process of "preventing the filming of two lesbian officers kissing at a military ball"

Former Fort Drum officer sues Army, claims unlawful punishment following incident at 2012 ball

An LTC getting an article 15? That schadenfreude is weapons-grade.

e: of course the morons are jumping at the chance make him a martyr.

http://www.thomasmore.org/news/deco...ederal-lawsuit/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

An LTC getting an article 15? That schadenfreude is weapons-grade.

e: of course the morons are jumping at the chance make him a martyr.

http://www.thomasmore.org/news/deco...ederal-lawsuit/

You should look at my facebook feed. It's the "I'm Spartacus!" scene on repeated.

• Locked thread