Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Beard and glasses were a giveaway.

Like was already mentioned, a LOG corporal with a CD and Queen's Jubilee medal would have gone unnoticed.

Hell, maybe a SWASM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Lt. Jebus posted:

But it wasn't like he had a VC on and a SEALS pin or something like that.

Bravery medals are, by comparison, more difficult for CAF members to be awarded than medals for valour. The actions which warrant a medal for bravery require multiple witnesses, statements taken and submitted to the Bravery Board of Canada, on which only one CAF member sits.

Medals for valorous actions require less scrutinizing on paper, though the process can be under review for potentially years.

Anyway, the dude is a cowardly douchebag, just thought I'd share an anecdote I discovered on my own about the medals.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
That's interesting. I didn't realize there was such a distinction.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Frosted Flake posted:

... CD and Queen's Jubilee medal ... SWASM...

I don't even have none of these. Four days short on my OP Caribe OSM too. :mad:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I would want to beat him to within an inch of his life for just the medal alone. You do NOT loving wear that as a fake.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Saw this on another site:

Sgt Gervais in action!

http://imgur.com/gallery/iR3D9/

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Ruse posted:

Saw this on another site:

Sgt Gervais in action!

http://imgur.com/gallery/iR3D9/

This is kinda funny but

Vadoc posted:

I would want to beat him to within an inch of his life for just the medal alone. You do NOT loving wear that as a fake.

I don't get the vitriol behind this one. This guy's life is already ruined, how does being a poser change your life so much that you feel the need to pile on? Honest question.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I don't understand this violent anger

I'm unhappy with the dude, but I'm more inclined to pity him because from what I've seen there are two possible situations here:

1) his life was so boring and lovely that he invented a veteran persona so people would think he's interesting

2) he's mentally ill and uses the veteran persona to cope with difficulties from his illness

I think a lot of the ragers here are assuming this guy is some arrogant douchebag who goes to the bar and tells Pathfinder stories to get laid or sympathy drinks and then goes to the cemetery and pees on veterans graves. I don't think so, and I doubt that six Royals with crowbars beating him into a gelatinous blob will do any good.

I'd be fine with the guy being dealt with the same way as the dude in Manitoba. Conditional discharge - the conviction confirms his behaviour was wrong but he isn't saddled with all the bullshit and jail time from a punitive sentence.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Exactly.

Is he ruining someones life? Is he going around namedropping guys who never made it back? I seriously doubt it.

Excellent POV from an ex-pathfinder here:

http://www.publicpolicypirate.com/2014/11/this-real-pathfinder-is-now-standing-up.html

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Ruse posted:

Exactly.

Is he ruining someones life? Is he going around namedropping guys who never made it back? I seriously doubt it.

Excellent POV from an ex-pathfinder here:

http://www.publicpolicypirate.com/2014/11/this-real-pathfinder-is-now-standing-up.html

haha, that guys strikes me as a little weird but he is a pathfinder so :shrug:

I wouldn't go as far as inviting the dude onto a course that people bust their asses to get into, but I like his attitude about the seriousness of it all

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It's just how I feel, don't let it keep you up at night unable to sleep worrying about feelings or someone being mean on the internet.

The police will do whatever it is they decide to do to him. He hasn't even lost his job, it's suspension with pay. He'll be back to work as soon as the media is bored and find something else to talk about so that there's no reporters hounding the worksite.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

haha, that guys strikes me as a little weird but he is a pathfinder so :shrug:

He's one of the weirdest guys I've met in the military, and as I'm sure you're aware, that's saying a lot. Super smart, checked out guy... but quite eccentric.

I hope "Sgt" Gervais gets charged and he deserves all the bad press coming towards him but the threats towards him and his wife are excessive. As long as no one assaults him I'm pretty satisfied with the response to this.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

DrakeriderCa posted:

I don't understand this violent anger.

The contrast between the general outlook on everything in this thread vs. the rest of GiP (not even just w/r/t this event but i thought this quote summed it up nicely) is so loving Canadian.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Vadoc posted:

It's just how I feel, don't let it keep you up at night unable to sleep worrying about feelings or someone being mean on the internet.

:kiddo:

so cute

The Good Professor posted:

The contrast between the general outlook on everything in this thread vs. the rest of GiP (not even just w/r/t this event but i thought this quote summed it up nicely) is so loving Canadian.

Hahaha I didn't even think about that but it's so true

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
On an entirely different tack, the SWAT boots I'd bought on my DP1 are starting to come apart at the seams. What are some decent, comfortable boots that aren't too ridiculously priced? I looked at the Oakley Assaults on the military-restricted store, but they only have the tans available. :(

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Yeah I fully support the guy getting arrested and released on the condition that he makes a public apology. This is Canada folks, we aren't going to be taking the boots to him he's just an rear end in a top hat who hosed up and did something really stupid.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Samu posted:

This is Canada folks

If anything the dude is unlucky he got caught at a time when more than 50 people give a poo poo about the military.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Canuck-Errant posted:

On an entirely different tack, the SWAT boots I'd bought on my DP1 are starting to come apart at the seams. What are some decent, comfortable boots that aren't too ridiculously priced? I looked at the Oakley Assaults on the military-restricted store, but they only have the tans available. :(

I've heard good things about Magnums. Though how long have you had the SWATs? I did all of the Nijmegen training in them and they're still solid.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ruse posted:

I've heard good things about Magnums. Though how long have you had the SWATs? I did all of the Nijmegen training in them and they're still solid.

I've had them since August of last year. Wasn't expecting to have troubles with them quite so soon, honestly.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Does anybody here have any experience on joining one of the reserve unit bands, or what its like in general? My music instructor mentioned that he had done it way back, and joining the reg force band down the road is something I've been flirting with the idea of pursuing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wear Nike SFBs. They've held up pretty well, but it's the Artillery so it's not like there's too much wear. They're light and comfortable and they dry fast. I was already running in minimalist shoes so if you're used to a cushioned ride it will be a bit of an adjustment.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Canuck-Errant posted:

There's a store in Edmonton that sells (sold?) black Oakleys, Nikes, etc. but it was nowhere near as cheap as the online store. I had a set of magnums last for a good two+ years and they were every bit as light and comfortable as the SWATs, plus about the same price point.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 16, 2017

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

stevobob posted:

I've got regular SWATs and they have held up pretty well to mostly garrison life. I wore them for about two years of reservist exercises, and another 7 months at CFSCE and they are a bit worn but are holding together. Since I'm going to be on the hangar floor though I'll need steel toes and the issued steel toes are beyond horrible. Anyone have experience with steel toes that are acceptable by CF standards? I might just get steel toe SWATs since I won't be doing any field poo poo.

I loving love the Air Force.

Belleville, Danner. The former are more conservative and can be had with anti-FOD soles, not that anyone really seems to care. Check local rules, some places are coming down on aftermarket boots now. Definitely agree about the issued steel toes, they are loving shameful and I won't wear them.

I finally got a good break-in on the CWWBs and quite like them with a decent insole, too bad it took so unreasonably long.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Does anybody here have any experience on joining one of the reserve unit bands, or what its like in general? My music instructor mentioned that he had done it way back, and joining the reg force band down the road is something I've been flirting with the idea of pursuing.

I'm a reserve musician. What do you want to know? As far as I'm concerned it's the best gig ever for a musician, especially if you are still in university. Paid tuition, summer employment, and a job after you graduate actually related to your field. I would say the experience varies a lot on the individual band. Which reserve band are you thinking of applying to?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Mantle posted:

I'm a reserve musician. What do you want to know? As far as I'm concerned it's the best gig ever for a musician, especially if you are still in university. Paid tuition, summer employment, and a job after you graduate actually related to your field. I would say the experience varies a lot on the individual band. Which reserve band are you thinking of applying to?

Well, I guess one of my first questions is what kind of skill level do I need to have in your experience? Like I can play most of the main service marches, Colonel Bogey, etc., but I'm still re-learning my instrument (euphonium) after a 3 year break, so I'm still a little rusty and things like double-tonguing are still outside what I can currently do. If I end up doing it, which basically will come down to whether I have the skill for it, I'm going to apply to the Loyal Edmonton Regiment band. I'm actually going to go in and do a sit-in with them this week.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mederlock posted:

Well, I guess one of my first questions is what kind of skill level do I need to have in your experience? Like I can play most of the main service marches, Colonel Bogey, etc., but I'm still re-learning my instrument (euphonium) after a 3 year break, so I'm still a little rusty and things like double-tonguing are still outside what I can currently do. If I end up doing it, which basically will come down to whether I have the skill for it, I'm going to apply to the Loyal Edmonton Regiment band. I'm actually going to go in and do a sit-in with them this week.

It really depends on the band's needs and the standard of that particular band. For example, in Vancouver you would pretty much need to play at a university graduate level or play an instrument they were desperately missing, whereas in Victoria you could join if you could play at a strong high school level.

The best thing to do is what you are doing and sit in with them. It's not just marching music, both bands I have played in play concert repertoire too.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Simkin posted:

There's a store in Edmonton that sells (sold?) black Oakleys, Nikes, etc. but it was nowhere near as cheap as the online store. I had a set of magnums last for a good two+ years and they were every bit as light and comfortable as the SWATs, plus about the same price point.

Edmonton's rather far out for me - closest would be anything in 'Jaw, then Regina.

I suppose I could check the 15 Wing Canex, but hahahahhahaha.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Shopping for shoes at the Canex :negative:

I don't suppose your unit has a kit shop that stocks that sort of thing? That's probably hoping a bit too much.

Could always go the amazon route - just skip .ca as it doesn't stock boots.
http://www.amazon.com/Oakley-Mens-SI-Assault-Black/dp/B0059I1L1U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416368468&sr=8-2&keywords=oakley+boots

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You're expecting a bit much from a PRes kit shop. I might see if my buddy in the States might do me a solid with cross-border shipping, but I guess it's not a huge priority right this instant. Maybe I'll ask for boots for Christmas.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Im pretty sure Military members get some crazy stupid discount on the Oakley website, but I'm not sure if its only for sunglasses

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's for boots too. Like $200 for $50 good.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

It's for boots too. Like $200 for $50 good.

Except the Assault 8" boots on the website are almost sold out - they only have desert tan ones in my size.

Which is why I was asking about other boots. v :shobon: v

bzw
Mar 31, 2007
waxing
So, this is a thing going around:

https://www.facebook.com/1stNorthAmericanExpeditionaryForce

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/11/21/canadian-who-volunteered-to-fight-with-kurds-against-isis-says-its-the-right-thing-to-do/

Ian Bradbury from the 1st NAEF was also interviewed on All In A Day (the CBC Ottawa drivetime show) today.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Jesus Christ

I can only hope that guy got a full discharge from the CAF before going to Caro it up else the entire book is going to be thrown at him.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

MA-Horus posted:

Jesus Christ

I can only hope that guy got a full discharge from the CAF before going to Caro it up else the entire book is going to be thrown at him.

Apparently nothing they're doing is illegal according to the papers, because they aren't fighting for a "terrorist" group per se, and they aren't doing any training in Canada., But I can't believe that this wont have repercussions when they return from over there.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 7, 2023

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Sure, if you're a civvie.

But even if you're in the sup res there HAS to be some sort of regulation about going to fight in a foreign war.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It seems like at least the first guy had been fully out for a while before joining up with the Kurds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The newspaper mentioned guys buying their own kit. I understand buying a Tac vest from CP Gear or Tactical Tailor or whatever, but how are you going to get $3500 worth of FFO through customs?