Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SirDrone posted:

Speaking of Filler was Chi-Chi being an over-protective parent and having low temperament an exaggeration in the anime or was she always like that to begin with?.

They made it more over the top and added filler scenes of her doing it as a gag but she was always kind of like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
You're all wrong, this is the greatest filler: http://youtu.be/TRErOvknMVg?t=6s

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SirDrone posted:

Speaking of Filler was Chi-Chi being an over-protective parent and having low temperament an exaggeration in the anime or was she always like that to begin with?.

Chi-Chi being so overprotective makes a lot more sense when you remember Gohan is supposed to be like five years old.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

gently caress that, Yamcha doesn't deserve positive filler.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Yamcha confirmed for stronger than Super Perfect Cell.

I approve.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

NikkolasKing posted:

Yamcha confirmed for stronger than Super Perfect Cell.

I refuse to believe that Yamcha ever got stronger than Dodoria. :colbert:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Given that he and Tien also beat the Ginyu Force in filler, all I can assume is the Otherworld does REALLY screwy things to people's power levels compared to when they're alive.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Momomo posted:

Chi-Chi being so overprotective makes a lot more sense when you remember Gohan is supposed to be like five years old.

Eh He's a saiyin. They shot off 3 year olds to destroy planets all the time and I mean he was a 5 year old who could level a city so...

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

gently caress that, Yamcha doesn't deserve positive filler.

This. The only good filler are Goku/Piccolo getting their license and Mr. Satan's reimagine of the Cell Fight.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DBM news: Alternate Pan reuniting with her family. :unsmith:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Top 20 Shonen Jump Manga Titles

Guess which is #1.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hahahahaha, "surprisingly [Naruto] was not the first that came to mind when Da Vinci News asked its readers to name the "strongest" series to run in the magazine."

"We are taken aback that the series that has set all book selling records in Japanese history is ranked higher than Naruto."

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hunter X Hunter would be higher if it wasn't for all those loving hiatuses :argh:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Hahahahaha, "surprisingly [Naruto] was not the first that came to mind when Da Vinci News asked its readers to name the "strongest" series to run in the magazine."

"We are taken aback that the series that has set all book selling records in Japanese history is ranked higher than Naruto."

Well OP still out-sells DB if you count just Japan but DB is #1....

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Well OP still out-sells DB if you count just Japan but DB is #1....

Dragonball gets a lot of credit for solidifying the genre and I have no problem with it being #1. I'm just laughing at the idea that anyone would be surprised that One Piece is more popular than Naruto.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Naruto at #9 and above HXH...

Also no YYH?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I'm surprised that Yu Yu Hakusho isn't on that list.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wow, yeah, that's an excellent point, I didn't even catch them.

I am glad that Bleach is so far down the list.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I wasn't too surprised until I saw some of the other entries. Weird as hell.

Naruto deserves the spot right above Bleach, though. Both started strong, then became uneven as all hell, but Bleach did it first so it's below Naruto.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I love Yu Yu Hakusho, but was it really that popular? I thought HxH was really Togashi's claim to fame.

edit: Kind of surprised Jojo isn't a bit higher, considering how old it is.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 15, 2014

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Momomo posted:

I love Yu Yu Hakusho, but was it really that popular? I thought HxH was really Togashi's claim to fame.

edit: Kind of surprised Jojo isn't a bit higher, considering how old it is.

Yes, it was so popular they forced a final tournament arc on Togashi.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Kild posted:

Yes, it was so popular they forced a final tournament arc on Togashi.

Loved how it ended though, kind of a screw you to the editors.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So wait, that's why Yusuke lost? Togashi spoiled my hopes and dreams to gently caress with the editors?

Actually, I only saw the anime version. I hear the manga version is even worse. Yusuke was at least even with Yomi in the anime.

Man, growing up and watching my heroes lose at these tournaments was not fun. I guess I can accept it with YYH but never, ever will I accept Ash losing at the Indigo League. You have any idea how many episodes I watched? Only to have Ash lose to his loving clone?

But yeah....YYH was pretty big,

For more recent lists....
Top 50 Best Selling Jump Manga Part 1
Top 50 Best Selling Jump Manga Part 2

Kimagure Orange Road still holding strong.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess I can accept it with YYH but never, ever will I accept Ash losing at the Indigo League. You have any idea how many episodes I watched? Only to have Ash lose to his loving clone?

Ash got, like, half of his Kanto Gym Badges by doing things unrelated to battling Gym Leaders, though.

He literally got the Marsh Badge for making Sabrina laugh.

MastG
May 25, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ash got, like, half of his Kanto Gym Badges by doing things unrelated to battling Gym Leaders, though.

But didn't he also die AND come back to life in process? I'd say that's worth a badge.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He also has a habit of releasing his best pokemon and not evolving the ones he keeps. Ash is a goddamned idiot and it's amazing he made it to the League (let alone several of them) in the first place.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hey, sometimes you don't want to evolve your Pokemon. I never evolved my Smoochum because gently caress Jynx.

Also Pikachu has to be Level 99 by now. I hear tell high level Pikachus are much better than Raichus.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember that time that Ash's Pikachu fainted by Roark's Onix used Screech on it.

Screech.

Speaking of moves that don't do damage, Solar Flare was broken as hell in DBZ and yet people barely ever used it. I don't think that skill ever failed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I remember that time that Ash's Pikachu fainted by Roark's Onix used Screech on it.

Screech.

Speaking of moves that don't do damage, Solar Flare was broken as hell in DBZ and yet people barely ever used it. I don't think that skill ever failed.

One of the cooler DBM sidestories had Krillen nearly killing Zarbon by using Solar Flare+Kienzan back to back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for What If? DBZ stories. I liked both Supersonic Warriors games for that reason.

Krillin learning Kaioken and Spirit Bomb was pretty great.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Screech.

I thought Goku beat it during the fight against Tenshinhan. Or was that just his 12-eyes?

Well I know what my DBXZ character's trainer will be. Ten was full of fun techniques.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Screech.

The reason everyone hates Krillin is because he could have ended the Freeza Saga right away with a combo of Solar Flare and Kienzan.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for What If? DBZ stories. I liked both Supersonic Warriors games for that reason.

Krillin learning Kaioken and Spirit Bomb was pretty great.

Krillin becoming the champion of mankind just feels right.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rudoku posted:

I thought Goku beat it during the fight against Tenshinhan. Or was that just his 12-eyes?

Two different fights. In their first fight, Goku stole Roshi's sunglasses to "beat" the Solar Flare. In their rematch three years later, Goku used the Solar Flare to blind all four Tenshinhans when he used the body split.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zonekeeper posted:

He also has a habit of releasing his best pokemon and not evolving the ones he keeps. Ash is a goddamned idiot and it's amazing he made it to the League (let alone several of them) in the first place.

It's more that whoever writes the pokemon anime now just really hates Ash or something. Early Unova stand outs in my memory both because it's the last time I bothered watching and because it's just Ash getting shat on over and over. Combine that with how often he has to be reminded of things and I can only assume kids like their protagonists to be weak and dumb. Except everybody hates Ash because he sucks and is dumb but they just keep on writing him like that anyways because :confused:

It's actually kind of interesting because DBZ set the precedent of the main character being kind of dumb, but at least he was a genius in his given field. Ash just sucks at everything forever until the end of the season and then he just sucks again once next season starts because ???. There really is just no explanation for the writing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The explanation is probably, as you insinuated, that they hire writers who hate him because everyone hates him and they cackle with glee as he is poo poo on repeatedly. Maybe it is sort of a subversion of the Goku trope that just kept going because the writers... Wait, according to wikipedia it has been written since 2006 by the same guy? Gah.

And the original writer is dead? Grim.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Should've gone the Pokemon Adventures/Special route and replaced the main character each arc.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, making GBS threads on Ash is just funny, and is a time-honored Pokemon tradition. The entire first episode of Indigo League is just him getting owned over and over again.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So, the Episode Breakdown for Celloween is up on TFS's site. Apparently the whole thing came about because they wanted to do the filler with Krillin and Cell, but couldn't figure out how to fit it into an episode, so they excised it and made it a special. Kind of the opposite of how I figured the episode came about.

It also covers the newest Hellsing Ultimate Abridged. The differences between the two series from an editing perspective are pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Should've gone the Pokemon Adventures/Special route and replaced the main character each arc.

And had the first protagonist actually competent?

• Locked thread