Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Dexters Secret posted:

i'm honestly impressed people care about this expansion since it seems like they're just rehashing cataclysm but with some time bullshit

Wormskull posted:

Then gently caress off.

fine i will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Dexters Secret posted:

i'm honestly impressed people care about this expansion since it seems like they're just rehashing cataclysm but with some time bullshit

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
The gently caress you talking about its literally burning crusade: back to the future.

Which, is right up my alley as it turns out.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

BrettRobb posted:

The gently caress you talking about its literally burning crusade: back to the future.

Which, is right up my alley as it turns out.

ah poo poo i meant to say burning crusade not cataclysm

they're both very apocalyptic sounding so i got confused

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The game has the classic title screen background, but remastered.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zen death robot posted:

Jesus level 100 to max out now?

that's why you get the free 90 level boost so you really only have to level 10 levels.

I have not used mine, sofar I've resisted the urge to log back in. I've witnessed poo poo that would make the arch age thread look like nothing, it's killed my enjoyment of the game and MMO's in general.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 15, 2014

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Garrisons are good.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Server problems aside, this expansion owns so far.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
borelords of gaysnore

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Im kind of warming up to it but theres still a lot of things about world of warcraft that really bother me, i think final fantasy has spoiled me in a lot of ways. After my 30 days are up i think im just going to go back to final fantasy, as that's what all my friends play.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Garrison is farmville and want to die b/c I like it

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

skeletronics posted:

expansion owns so far.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Im kind of warming up to it but theres still a lot of things about world of warcraft that really bother me, i think final fantasy has spoiled me in a lot of ways. After my 30 days are up i think im just going to go back to final fantasy, as that's what all my friends play.

Please speak of what bothers you. Critical analysis of all games is good and fair.

Personally: I feel that movement in WoW doesn't feel very satisfying. The model updates helped somewhat by adding weight to the animations, but there's no sense of momentum. Everyone just kind of frictionlessly glides along.

Second: The Faction War plot angle is absolute poo poo and somehow makes every character it touches worse (see esp. Jaina Proudmoore), and worse, it splits the playerbase in half. I want to play a troll but I can't 'cause everyone I know plays Alliance. I go Horde and it's like welp, have fun being lonely.

Third: WoW's ridiculous art style is weird. It doesn't always bug me per se, because when it's good it looks absolutely awesome, but if it's not absolutely awesome, it looks like hilarious bullshit.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ff14 is good but I always have trouble adjusting to it since the combat is so stiff compared to WoWs.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mazed posted:

Please speak of what bothers you. Critical analysis of all games is good and fair.

Personally: I feel that movement in WoW doesn't feel very satisfying. The model updates helped somewhat by adding weight to the animations, but there's no sense of momentum. Everyone just kind of frictionlessly glides along.

Second: The Faction War plot angle is absolute poo poo and somehow makes every character it touches worse (see esp. Jaina Proudmoore), and worse, it splits the playerbase in half. I want to play a troll but I can't 'cause everyone I know plays Alliance. I go Horde and it's like welp, have fun being lonely.

Third: WoW's ridiculous art style is weird. It doesn't always bug me per se, because when it's good it looks absolutely awesome, but if it's not absolutely awesome, it looks like hilarious bullshit.

So what does FF14 do better than what WoW does?

I've heard the world isn't one big area and it's EQ style of loading every single place behind a screen.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
i've not been able to play since friday because i don't wake up early enough and i don't have the patience to wait on 2+ hr queues

thats what i get for creating my dudes on one of the most packed servers i guess..............

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
How do any wow streamers have viewers this might be the most unwatchable game ever made

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Lemme just watch a stream to learn some wod tricks while I'm at work. Nope literally every one of them is a retarded cartoon character monkey cheese bullshit. Maybe I'm just old

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

zen death robot posted:

I'm thinking of getting FF14

its pretty rad and there is tons of stuff to do other than sitting in orgrimmarwarspear and waiting for a queue to pop

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I like watching Yoni because just flying around doing achievements makes me feel like playing the game.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
ff14 is designed so pretty much any content is always relevant, you can always play with low level friends cause it scales your level down to help them out with FATEs and dungeons and stuff, max level players have a reason to go back and help their friends to do low level content. There's no "bags" or looting, there's no junk grey items, you just have a massive inventory and if something drops it automatically is given to you, there's no fighting over quest mobs, or bullshit farming quests where you have to farm quest monsters for an item that only has a chance to drop, there's no bullshit devs constantly changing core class mechanics every patch and totally changing how your class plays, or artifically increasing the difficulty of things by making them super grindy and taking months to get. FF14 also already had an equivalent to garrison missions and it's still better, it even has player housing which is awesome, and even provides a lot of functionality. it also looks way better and is super anime. theres a lot of other reasons why it's better designed than WoW but i cant think of them off the top of my head. they'll probably come back to me the more i play draenor.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

The Taint Reaper posted:

I've heard the world isn't one big area and it's EQ style of loading every single place behind a screen.

all the zones are connected but yeah, there's loading screens between zones because it's still on PS3. When they remove PS3 support, they said they were gonna get rid of the loading screens

its kind of funny to get in a dungeon with someone playing on their ps3

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The Taint Reaper posted:

So what does FF14 do better than what WoW does?

Story and setting are better by far. WoW's had some good plot now and then (and WoD really stepped it up), but FF14 has been designed and written with what seems to have been quite a lot of care and intent to make you feel super-immersed. The world is small, but it's laid out so that you have stuff to do everywhere at almost every level rather than clear a zone and never come back. I also like the fact that the NPCs manage to be important but only as a complement to things. They never overshadow your own character, and that happens far too drat often with WoW.

Mechanically, I freaking love the job system, how you can be everything on one character. It's especially jarring going back to WoW how they won't even let you use all three of your class's specs.

Less tangibly, FFXIV's playerbase seems way more chill and intent on having fun rather than being a bunch of whiny, belligerent assholes. YMMV on this one. Maybe this would be better if they dropped the faction divide and got rid of that stupid outdated mob tapping mechanic. Hate being in a multiplayer game and feeling like other people showing up is a hindrance.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Queues of Failnor.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I'm going to get drunk and buy this and I'm going to play it constantly and fail my exams, and end up as a dishwasher.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Simoom posted:

I'm going to get drunk and buy this and I'm going to play it constantly and fail my exams, and end up as a dishwasher.

Succeeding academically and gaming can be done side by side.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Way to shame people who work harder then you probably ever will you little wussy. gently caress off.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Just dinged level 94 on my Shaman. Feeling good and getting there.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
welp just found out someone i know has gone to gamer heaven, the night that i drink and buy draenor is this night, tonight, sunday night. this ones for you old pal

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Simoom posted:

welp just found out someone i know has gone to gamer heaven, the night that i drink and buy draenor is this night, tonight, sunday night. this ones for you old pal

unironic :rip:

i'd like to play wod but i don't think i could really go back to it after all the things FFXIV does better (and "better" like 2.5s GCDs--some think that's dogshit slow, for me it's just right, wow's 1.5 (or 1.0 :stonk:) would drive me mad)

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You have a mental problem.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The only thing FFXIV does better is you can have a baby version of the tree guys as a pet and it has a badass chocobo song for the fast travel.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I got to level 100 and there is nothing to do.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

bonzibuddy64 posted:

ff14 is designed so pretty much any content is always relevant, you can always play with low level friends cause it scales your level down to help them out with FATEs and dungeons and stuff, max level players have a reason to go back and help their friends to do low level content. There's no "bags" or looting, there's no junk grey items, you just have a massive inventory and if something drops it automatically is given to you, there's no fighting over quest mobs, or bullshit farming quests where you have to farm quest monsters for an item that only has a chance to drop, there's no bullshit devs constantly changing core class mechanics every patch and totally changing how your class plays, or artifically increasing the difficulty of things by making them super grindy and taking months to get. FF14 also already had an equivalent to garrison missions and it's still better, it even has player housing which is awesome, and even provides a lot of functionality. it also looks way better and is super anime. theres a lot of other reasons why it's better designed than WoW but i cant think of them off the top of my head. they'll probably come back to me the more i play draenor.

Sounds a lot like GW2.

GW2 is nto a good game.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Understand, NihilVerumNisiMors, I don't care if you do or don't play FFXIV.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
yeah, my dead friend would be seriously pissed at me if he saw me playing some poo poo with bunny girls and pedophile lallafel garbage or whatever, because he was not mentally sick. im going to kill kargath bladefist and kilrogg and a lot of orcs for him.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Simoom posted:

yeah, my dead friend would be seriously pissed at me if he saw me playing some poo poo with bunny girls and pedophile lallafel garbage or whatever, because he was not mentally sick. im going to kill kargath bladefist and kilrogg and a lot of orcs for him.

There are no bunny girls, and your dead friend would be ashamed of you for making stuff up about a great MMO. Reported.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
are the servers still making GBS threads themselves? I might get this in afew days and level up to 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
So how do garrisons work. 1 per person? 1 per guild? 1 per faction per server?

• Locked thread