Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

why would shirou punch his good friend and trustworthy ally shinji in the face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
In the opening scene with Archer and Shirou's confrontation, there's a conspicuous mirror that doesn't reflect Shirou. Animation oversight or proof of vampirism?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Squidster posted:

In the opening scene with Archer and Shirou's confrontation, there's a conspicuous mirror that doesn't reflect Shirou. Animation oversight or proof of vampirism?

What do vampires do when they are killed?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'm pretty sure that you are not remembering correctly the timeline.

It happened in the Fate path?

But it should be before Shinji revealed himself.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I, also, hoped that Shirou would punch Shinji in the face every time they were in the same scene.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

nielsm posted:

Can I say it? Please?

PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!

Please don't, Shinji's very handsome.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm fairly confident that Shirou would absolutely crush Shinji in a straight up fistfight so I have no loving clue why the latter revealed himself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Because Shinji is an idiot.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

I'm fairly confident that Shirou would absolutely crush Shinji in a straight up fistfight so I have no loving clue why the latter revealed himself.

He really wants an alliance, I suppose.
He is a really, really lovely Master, so it shouldn't be a wrong tactic. The problem is that, well, he is Shinji

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I still want to see a scene with them just hanging out and being friends because I can never imagine it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

If he knew how poo poo a Master Shirou was, he'd know he was totally vulnerable at that point. If Shirou attacks, he can have Rider ice him before Saber has a chance to show. If he allies with him, sweet, free Servant. If he doesn't attack him, he knows Shirou well enough to know that an attack won't be coming for a while and will require much greater provocation. In other words, he can ignore him for the moment, save his resources, and kill him at his leisure.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I guess the real issue is that many harem shows can't bear to give their self-insert male protagonist a credible male rival lest they threaten the sanctity of the MC's harem.

Still, if you're going down that route, can't you at least give the audience something cathartic like letting the protagonist go ham on the rival?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fate/Stay Night is not a harem. There are three heroines, but each route gives a clear focus on only one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

YggdrasilTM posted:

He really wants an alliance, I suppose.
He is a really, really lovely Master, so it shouldn't be a wrong tactic. The problem is that, well, he is Shinji

I think it didn't occur to him that extreme-doormat Shirou would refuse. Because, well, we are talking about the guy who cleaned the Dojo for him a few days ago.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Fate/Stay Night is not a harem. There are three heroines, but each route gives a clear focus on only one.

This is untrue, this episode should've told you that the real love interest of this path is not Rin, but Archer. We haven't seen his sexy back enough I guess.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I still want to see a scene with them just hanging out and being friends because I can never imagine it

Shinji wasn't always as much of an rear end in a top hat as he is now. He was still haughty and insufferable, but he genuinely appreciated Shirou's friendship. He just couldn't show it. So he's (normally) secretly tsundere for Shirou, making him Rin's natural enemy.

EDIT:

Waffleman_ posted:

(that one is Rin Tohsaka, in all three routes)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The harem is Rin's, not Shiro's.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe there's another Fate game that shows this!

(play HA it's super dumb and great)

e: also yeah Rin gets all the girls and all the boys

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

The harem is Fuji-nee's, not Shiro's.

Fixed that for you. And Hollow is the only time Shinji is bearable (and it actually makes him seem like a person).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jellycat posted:

Shinji wasn't always as much of an rear end in a top hat as he is now. He was still haughty and insufferable, but he genuinely appreciated Shirou's friendship. He just couldn't show it. So he's (normally) secretly tsundere for Shirou, making him Rin's natural enemy.

I would have thought that the gigantic rapist vibes would have put a damper on things regardless of how civil he was being to Shirou. Seriously, Shinji doesn't require a punch in the face because he's being rude to you, he requires it because you can be totally confident that he's done at least five different somethings to deserve it.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Rodyle posted:

Maybe there's another Fate game that shows this!

(play HA it's super dumb and great)

e: also yeah Rin gets all the girls and all the boys

This is what it's like when Shirou hangs out with Shinji:

Darth Walrus posted:

I would have thought that the gigantic rapist vibes would have put a damper on things regardless of how civil he was being to Shirou. Seriously, Shinji doesn't require a punch in the face because he's being rude to you, he requires it because you can be totally confident that he's done at least five different somethings to deserve it.

I don't think he was always emanating gigantic rapist vibes, is the thing. I mean, I'm not trying to defend him; he's a walking pile of garbage. But I don't think he was that way before.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
it might be v-level canon that shirou and shinji are "friends", but right now he's an rear end in a top hat that i want to see demolished

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Well this show has the most subtle and well-handled boner joke I've ever seen in anime, that's certainly a thing.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

With all the anime-original content UFO Table have been putting in, I was really hoping that Shirou was going to punch Shinji square in the face.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

HiveCommander posted:

With all the anime-original content UFO Table have been putting in, I was really hoping that Shirou was going to punch Shinji square in the face.

Nah, that's just stooping to his level. Same way as Rin [thinly veiled UBW ending spoilers!] saving Shinji in the end despite what he tried to do to her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kubla Khan posted:

Nah, that's just stooping to his level. Same way as Rin [thinly veiled UBW ending spoilers!] saving Shinji in the end despite what he tried to do to her.

I'm pretty sure you'd have to do rather more than punch a dude in the face for being slimy to stoop to Shinji's level.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Squidster posted:

He's reflected, he's just reflected along the edge of the mirror so it looks like a frame or something.

Edit: Looking at it, it might actually go both ways. Confusing.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

How did Archer get through the barrier when Saber couldn't? Did he just slip through Assassin while he was distracted?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

TurninTrix posted:

How did Archer get through the barrier when Saber couldn't? Did he just slip through Assassin while he was distracted?

It's revealed in the next episode. If you really wants to know read the spoiler. Basically...
Assassin let him pass, just to irritate Caster

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I'd be friends with Shinji

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Bholder posted:

It happened in the Fate path?

But it should be before Shinji revealed himself.
No it happens in UBW, but it doesn't happen for another day in game. Knowing Ufotable, they'll stick it in there in another couple of episodes when they reach that point. Rereading seorin's LP on the Archive, I'm reminded that a choice made after that scene leads to one of the more out of nowhere Dead Ends in the game, and even the Tiger Dojo following it makes that point.

nielsm posted:

Can I say it? Please?

PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!
Didn't the Deen anime have Shirou punching Shinji in the face at some point? I remember there was a scene where he does so during one route in the VN, but I forget which route. I remember people in the LP thread were super hyped when we got to do it, and someone posted the gif from the previous anime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's clearly not punching Shinji in that gif. Shiro seems to have mastered wind magic and is pushing him at the wall with the force of the air.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Shinji only gets punched by Shirou in heavens feel route if I remember right.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Which is a shame, because in the VN Shirou practically (or maybe actually) breaks his arm.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Iretep posted:

In Fate route Shirou ends up punching Shinji into a wall before breaking his arm on it and coercing him into surrendering with a throat crushin'

People always forget the best parts of Fate.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
For all of you curious as to what it sounds like when Shinji gets his arm broken, you're in luck.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SALT CURES HAM posted:

For all of you curious as to what it sounds like when Shinji gets his arm broken, you're in luck.

There's a temptation to make that my ringtone, but that would be just a smidge too much. Just a smidge.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Scrree posted:

In Fate route Shirou ends up punching Shinji into a wall before breaking his arm on it and coercing him into surrendering with a throat crushin'

People always forget the best parts of Fate.

That whole long scene was pretty great. I wasn't sold on F/SN at all and struggled pretty hard through the first few days, but after that fight I was strapped in and ready to go the distance.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Iretep posted:

Doesn't he stop himself before hitting him? I think Shirou was really pissed at Shinji during scene, but didn't actually knock the wind out of him. Too bad, though, as I'm sure 99% of people who played through Heaven's Feel chose that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Sylphid posted:

Doesn't he stop himself before hitting him? I think Shirou was really pissed at Shinji during scene, but didn't actually knock the wind out of him. Too bad, though, as I'm sure 99% of people who played through Heaven's Feel chose that option.

They are talking about the 9th day, at school.

• Locked thread