Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

The real schadenfreude is that that derail keeps coming up to haunt us and will never, ever die.

The realest schadenfreude is that on top of things people also don't know how to use Google to find poo poo out for themselves.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=could+a+plane+take+off+on+a+treadmill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Masked Pumpkin posted:

Ugh fine, have this instead:

Wait is the air from the fan rotating the rotors or are they motor powered?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That's not a fan, that's a record player. In other words, a rotating disk.

With this set-up you could actually have the rotor blades stationary relative to the air. The problem is that the helicopter itself would be spinning crazy fast. Helicopters aren't built with that in mind.

So it'll probably take off. In tiny bits. Flying in every lateral direction.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's not a fan, that's a record player. In other words, a rotating disk.

With this set-up you could actually have the rotor blades stationary relative to the air. The problem is that the helicopter itself would be spinning crazy fast. Helicopters aren't built with that in mind.

So it'll probably take off. In tiny bits. Flying in every lateral direction.

Or, you manage to get it off the ground(giant turntable) but it has spun around so much the pilot just throws up all over the controls and it crashes (I assume into some kind of giant DJ box.)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Someone paid money for this:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pierzak posted:

Oh that is loving priceless

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
My parents bought one of those so-called "ultrasonic" pest repellers when I was young.

You know who can still hear 20 kHz beeping? Young people. I very nearly destroyed it in a fit of rage and my parents had no idea why it made me so upset.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Pierzak posted:

That's like the deer-whistle for houses

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A few years ago a device called the "Mosquito" was rather popular here. It was simply a device that emitted a high tone only young people could hear. They were installed in a bunch of places where young folks like to hang out, for instance in front of shopping malls.

They didn't last long, most of them were removed. Especially after it became widely known that loud near-ultrasonic tones damage ears permanently, even if you can't hear them.

I think I still know one or two places where they were never removed.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Carbon dioxide posted:

A few years ago a device called the "Mosquito" was rather popular here. It was simply a device that emitted a high tone only young people could hear. They were installed in a bunch of places where young folks like to hang out, for instance in front of shopping malls.

They didn't last long, most of them were removed. Especially after it became widely known that loud near-ultrasonic tones damage ears permanently, even if you can't hear them.

Reading this made me mad irl, the schadenfreude is me :(

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
If I remember correctly you used to be able to buy those "mosquito" tones as a ringtone or cell phone alert sound. So if you were in high school or something you would know to check your phone but your teacher wouldn't hear anything.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

RandomFerret posted:

Dude is trolling. Nobody actually thought the question was "Can a thing move if it can't move."

That's exactly what lots of people think, that's where the big argument over it comes from.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I looked up the tone on YouTube. I played the video on my work PC and couldn't hear anything so I turned my speakers way up and played it again. I heard the 25 year old receptionist yell "WHAT IS THAT NOISE?" and quickly turned it off.

My ears are too old to hear the sound. :(

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just note that when you look up 'tone hearing tests' on the internet, if nobody hears them at all, the reason could be that your speaker isn't made for the high end of the sound spectrum.

E: Hmm, I'm 26 and I can barely hear it. I think I could hear it better a few years ago. The first thing I noticed when I put it on was a very uncomfortable, almost painful feeling in my ears.

Please put your sound low before starting this clip, it seriously hurts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKl_sTh0oHE

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Nov 16, 2014

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I didn't turn down the speakers and now the schadenfreude is me.

I'm 28 and I can hear it clearly, my wife is 27 and couldn't hear it at all mwaha

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I'm 37 and I can hear it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

30. I can imagine that noise being used to torture someone.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Oh, they must have wired it up backwards.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Pierzak posted:

It costs $500

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

You checked to make sure it was a real product too, didn't you?
I ain't gonna get fooled like that no birds sign again. I never thought about why that sign would be entirely pointless to put up, I just thought it was funny because gently caress the law.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

VanSandman posted:

You checked to make sure it was a real product too, didn't you?
I ain't gonna get fooled like that no birds sign again. I never thought about why that sign would be entirely pointless to put up, I just thought it was funny because gently caress the law.

Newegg sells it. It's a little cheapermore expensive than 500 if you go Newegg :shepspends:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Craptacular posted:

I'm 37 and I can hear it.

Me, too, to both of those. I couldn't hear another one that claimed to be playing the sound, though.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Carbon dioxide posted:

Just note that when you look up 'tone hearing tests' on the internet, if nobody hears them at all, the reason could be that your speaker isn't made for the high end of the sound spectrum.

E: Hmm, I'm 26 and I can barely hear it. I think I could hear it better a few years ago. The first thing I noticed when I put it on was a very uncomfortable, almost painful feeling in my ears.

I can't hear it (not surprising, I am :corsair: and frequently work with loud machinery) but it seemed to wake up my elderly cat. Maybe cats don't lose the high frequencies like people do.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I'm 28, have been blasting my eardrums out with headphones since seventh grade, and I could hear it :smug:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Darkhold posted:

wouldn't admit I was right even as I tried to re-explain it using the 100 doors version of it (which is what really makes me understand it).

The best way to get a stubborn person to understand the Monty Hall problem is with a deck of cards. Have them draw a random card without looking. Then you go through the entire deck and find the Ace of Spades. Put it in front of you face-down and throw the other 50 cards aside. Tell them that one of you has the Ace of Spades. Ask if they'd like to switch.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Yep. Same noise an old tube TV would make when it was on and the cable box was off.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Sex Hobbit posted:

I'm 28, have been blasting my eardrums out with headphones since seventh grade, and I could hear it :smug:

I'm 40, have attended many rock concerts and have constant tinnitus, and can hear it clear as day without having to turn up the speakers barely at all.

Do I win? :dance:

Boat posted:

Yep. Same noise an old tube TV would make when it was on and the cable box was off.

I could hear that tube TV on a separate floor on the other end of the house when I was a kid. I got the freaky mutant ears. :(

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bart Fargo posted:

I'm 40, have attended many rock concerts and have constant tinnitus, and can hear it clear as day without having to turn up the speakers barely at all.

Do I win? :dance:

I could hear that tube TV on a separate floor on the other end of the house when I was a kid. I got the freaky mutant ears. :(

Yeah I can hear things from forever away. Except for people talking when they're three feet from my ears.

:saddowns:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I can hear things from forever away. Except for people talking when they're three feet from my ears.

:saddowns:

I can still hear the mosquito sound but I always have to ask people to repeat themselves when they're talking to me. :(

Pierzak posted:

Reminds me of this old picture:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Sex Hobbit posted:

Same. Although I'm 25 and I can still hear it 30 seconds after the bloody noise ended. Tinnitus?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

30 and gently caress me that's painful with headphones. I'm pretty sure this is a slightly lower frequency than was used over here (I used to work as a contract cleaner so I'd be at bus stations at 4am and those things would be buzzing away, had to work with earplugs).

I believe (too drunk/tired to look it up) that the European Court found the mosquito thing to be illegal as it found to be unfair discrimination against teenagers. After it was 'outlawed' the bus station I used to clean would just play Classical Music over the PA to keeps the kids out, which I found hilarious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd like to formally apologize to the people of the thread now because I thought you guys were being big babies about derails whenever they happened ITT. But now that it's literally people talking about who can and can't hear a sound; oh Jesus I see why it bothers you so much.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

RareAcumen posted:

I'd like to formally apologize to the people of the thread now because I thought you guys were being big babies about derails whenever they happened ITT. But now that it's literally people talking about who can and can't hear a sound; oh Jesus I see why it bothers you so much.

Some people don't notice high-frequency derails - I guess this one is just a little lower in pitch?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Jabor posted:

Some people don't notice high-frequency derails - I guess this one is just a little lower in pitch?

It's just because we've had three derails in a row that it hertz.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

AfroSquirrel posted:

It's just because we've had three derails in a row that it hertz.

No need to whine.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I can hear things from forever away(and can hear that sound at 35) but have trouble differentiating noises so I can't understand what people are saying if there are multiple sound sources. :smithicide:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

I can hear things from forever away(and can hear that sound at 35) but have trouble differentiating noises so I can't understand what people are saying if there are multiple sound sources. :smithicide:

Same (and also 35). Someone was talking in the theater behind me during the quiet parts of Interstellar (about how they couldn't understand what was being said) and all I could focus on was them whining.

So the early quiet bits I really have no idea about. They eventually moved forward and then the movie started being loud.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Whattt???? :bahgawd:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Have some binaural beats!

http://gethighnow.com/binaural-beats/

The schadenfreude is people pay money for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

pentyne posted:

Have some binaural beats!

http://gethighnow.com/binaural-beats/

The schadenfreude is people pay money for them.

It's silly to pay for but it does work

• Locked thread