Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hakarne posted:

Yeah I'm really digging the new up/down parkour. Problem is the actual pathfinding is dogshit compared with the old games. It's kind of a two-steps-forward-three-steps-back kind of thing.

they should have made it r1 for up and r2 for down because now you can't pan the camera while free running down cause you need to hold a face button. dumb dumb dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's probably your video card and not the game, by the way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hakarne posted:

Yeah I'm really digging the new up/down parkour. Problem is the actual pathfinding is dogshit compared with the old games. It's kind of a two-steps-forward-three-steps-back kind of thing.

Yeah, this is a real problem. The pathfinding is legitimately worse.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Aphrodite posted:

It's probably your video card and not the game, by the way.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I do have to say that I love how much smarter and more dangerous guards tend to be, at least compared to 3 and 4. Connor and Edward could stroll up to a literal platoon of like 20 dudes and counter kill them all into a fine red mist.

Fighting four or more is usually suicide - three seems doable, but difficult - and it's best to throw a smoke bomb and get the gently caress outta there rather than stay and fight, unlike literally every other game. Enemies with guns are super dangerous, and I actually find myself moving from cover and cover to try and avoid their line of sight, which is something I've never done before in an Assassin's Creed game. Most of the time, you'd just run straight at the guy aiming the gun at you and tank his bullets until you killed him, but doing that in Unity is a really good way to die. Just like real life.

If you're on the street level and there's a guy on a balcony with a gun and he sees you, you're pretty much hosed, so it's best to blend with a crowd and find a way to flank him and air assassinate him unseen. I find myself seeing a few guards in a room and thinking "well, I guess I better find another way around, maybe outside or over on another floor" instead of "LOL LEEROY JENKINS" and charging in with my unstoppable counter kill bullshit.

I personally find the combat a lot harder and more engaging because you actually have to think about what to do instead of 3 and 4's "pff, twenty guards? :smug:"

edit: also, getting seen in a restricted area is more "I'm hosed" and less "maaaan, now I don't get full synchro and I have to kill ALL THESE GUYS"

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 16, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So, anyone having any luck with that last Legendary Ship in Rogue? That thing is kicking my fully upgraded rear end.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
How do you unlock the assassins for use in the companion app? I'm up to about sequence 6-7, still haven't unlocked.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Murodese posted:

How do you unlock the assassins for use in the companion app? I'm up to about sequence 6-7, still haven't unlocked.

You don't. They have nothing to do with the main game.

The companion breaks if you had started it before syncing the game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Murodese posted:

Which assassins?

You get slots for getting social clubs and sync points + the premium versio

On companion app news, someone finally bit the bullet and is uploading the puzzle solutions to Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/Dwire

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Daily Forecast posted:

I do have to say that I love how much smarter and more dangerous guards tend to be, at least compared to 3 and 4. Connor and Edward could stroll up to a literal platoon of like 20 dudes and counter kill them all into a fine red mist.

Fighting four or more is usually suicide - three seems doable, but difficult - and it's best to throw a smoke bomb and get the gently caress outta there rather than stay and fight, unlike literally every other game. Enemies with guns are super dangerous, and I actually find myself moving from cover and cover to try and avoid their line of sight, which is something I've never done before in an Assassin's Creed game. Most of the time, you'd just run straight at the guy aiming the gun at you and tank his bullets until you killed him, but doing that in Unity is a really good way to die. Just like real life.

If you're on the street level and there's a guy on a balcony with a gun and he sees you, you're pretty much hosed, so it's best to blend with a crowd and find a way to flank him and air assassinate him unseen. I find myself seeing a few guards in a room and thinking "well, I guess I better find another way around, maybe outside or over on another floor" instead of "LOL LEEROY JENKINS" and charging in with my unstoppable counter kill bullshit.

I personally find the combat a lot harder and more engaging because you actually have to think about what to do instead of 3 and 4's "pff, twenty guards? :smug:"

edit: also, getting seen in a restricted area is more "I'm hosed" and less "maaaan, now I don't get full synchro and I have to kill ALL THESE GUYS"

Agreed, except with the pathfinding, its like *smoke bomb* "three story building no problem just gotta...get off the barrel dumb rear end! DUMB rear end! GET OFF! THE! BARREL! WTF??? YOU loving rear end in a top hat WHAT? WTF is with these loving barrels?!" I haven't frustra-raged at a game in a very long time.

Also, I am forgetting, "Just go in the window. go in the window. GO IN THE WINDOW rear end in a top hat!" and the popular "Just don't go in the window and we will be fine. Climb around the ...what did I just say cocksucker? DON'T GO IN THE WINDOW! ARRGHH"

I know yelling at the tv like it has a Kinect 6.0 attached is not helping.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Aphrodite posted:

You don't. They have nothing to do with the main game.

The companion breaks if you had started it before syncing the game.

Oh, so the Nomad Brotherhood button isn't supposed to be greyed out?

e; oh, apparently I had to collect a second nomad point ingame - now I can do the missions.

Murodese fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 16, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Murodese posted:

Oh, so the Nomad Brotherhood button isn't supposed to be greyed out?

It actually is until you get an Assassin who needs to be leveled up, but you're supposed to get 2 to start.

What you can do as a workaround is renovate some social clubs in the game, which unlocks assassin slots in the app. The next time you run the app it will sync with the game and in the top right corner area of the map you'll have little notification boxes. When you get one that says you unlocked a slot, press on it. That takes you to the Nomad Brotherhood screen where you can click on a slot then the button to buy Assassins. Don't waste your points here because you need 2, so make sure to get some cheap ones so you can.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
I decided to Redbox Rogue today and yeah, it's basically AC4-2. Which automatically makes it waaaaaaay better than Unity.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Anyone able to play public co-op games? I can get most of the other online functions to work, but when I try to Public Co-op missions, I get to stare at a Ubisoft please wait screen forever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Anyone able to play public co-op games? I can get most of the other online functions to work, but when I try to Public Co-op missions, I get to stare at a Ubisoft please wait screen forever.
On the PS4 I can. Sometimes the lag is hilariously bad though. I mean, I live in Hawaii so I'm used to a certain amount of lag, but this game just gets nuts sometimes.

Crayonskies
May 18, 2014

HaitianDivorce posted:

But if you look there's tons of ridiculous awesome conspiracy theory bullshit in there! Did you know we went to the moon to find an artifact the lizard people left there, and also Abstergo painted there logo on the lander and then painted over it for some reason? Or that Citizens United was a Templar plot intended to give them even more power over the American government? Or that televisions literally control your mind? :yum:
I'd just like to drop in to assure any disbeliever that yes, these are indeed all things we are told in AC2 and Brotherhood via the Glyph collectibles.

You skipped over the best part though - evolution is made up. Evolution is a Templar conspiracy to keep people from inquiring into the ancient aliens business.

This is actually all real. The glyph collectibles are the best collectibles in the entire series because they tell us that in the Assassin's Creed setting... most nutjob conspiracy theorists are only wrong because their theories leave out the part where ancient aliens and magical mind-controlling devices are things that exist.

Anyone who doesn't leave that part out? Probably actually an Assassin.
Anyone making any kind of political move involving insisting those people are nutjobs? Probably actually a Templar.

If I actually wrote fanfics I would write the poo poo out of AC's modern day setting. It's a goldmine. You can make up any kind of bullshit conspiracy and it'll fit right in to say the Templars did it. Or the Ancient Aliens. Or both.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What was the significance of finding Germaine's body in the end?

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 16, 2014

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Darth Ballz posted:

Also, I am forgetting, "Just go in the window. go in the window. GO IN THE WINDOW rear end in a top hat!" and the popular "Just don't go in the window and we will be fine. Climb around the ...what did I just say cocksucker? DON'T GO IN THE WINDOW! ARRGHH"
Are you hitting L2 to go in windows? I've had a few parkour issues here and there (rounded roof ledges seem to be a big problem) but windows I have down pretty pat now that I remember to hit L2 to go in. "freerun down" is my big problem, I just don't think to hit B and wish I could remap it (and freerun up) to the bumpers. I can't think of what the R3/L3 buttons do but I wish those were my gun/bomb buttons instead.

Jejoma posted:

I suppose this is opinion, but I don't see how fighting with the camera/environment adds to the combat system.
If the intent was to make being surrounded a high-risk scenario (granted, it should be) then it makes some sense to have the player partially "blind" during combat, but I think they could have toned it down and kept the red/yellow indicators on-screen at the edge, like they do with the gun indicators. I get that I'm not supposed to be Batman/Batman in Mordor but it would be nice to be pretty secure against groups of three.

Also, smoke needs to be insta-kill like it used to be, or at least a lot loving faster. I get that a 5* guy should be "tougher" but no one should survive me pounding on them with a sword while coughing their brains out.

Also gently caress whoever thought of sticking a defend sequence at the end of that guillotine-parts mission and having a true mission fail instead of checkpoint retry. gently caress them in the rear end. I get it's a "hardest" mission, gently caress you anyway, getting the parts in sniper courtyard was a giant hassle and I almost snapped my controller when I was told to redo it.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

ayn rand hand job posted:

On companion app news, someone finally bit the bullet and is uploading the puzzle solutions to Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/Dwire
Thank christ. A few of these were/are really f'ing annoying.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Making the combat harder was a terrible idea because it's still not any good. Being able to mostly bypass it in previous games was a good thing, just like being able to mostly bypass any stealth sections that were too hard with combat was a good thing.

My favorite thing is how all 3+ star enemies have perfect bullet-dodging reflexes. C'mon guys, bullets are an extremely limited resources, at least let them be useful.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
After a few days of playing this I went back to a game with actually responsive controls (PSO2) and I can't help but think what AC would be like if when you pushed buttons your character didn't wait a half-second or so before doing anything.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
well something glitched and now i have 3000 uplay points. not complaining in the slighest though.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I think I've missed something important here, Arno just mentioned seeing someone's memories. Like, the flashbacks you get when you assassinate someone, he literally reads their mind and sees the flashbacks? How the hell is he doing that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tempo 119 posted:

I think I've missed something important here, Arno just mentioned seeing someone's memories. Like, the flashbacks you get when you assassinate someone, he literally reads their mind and sees the flashbacks? How the hell is he doing that?

Magic powers.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Tempo 119 posted:

I was curious about that too and just figure that it is a "next gen" representation of the "death speeches" that previous AC games had. Instead of them talking (after you have clearly stabbed them in the back of the head) you kinda just read their memories. Fair enough.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Part of me really hopes that Ubi does a HD re-release of AssCreed 1 thru Revelations because seriously after Unity I'm sure they're just going to poo poo out pirate games forever. And it's sad to me because Unity is a return to form. AC3's open environments were, to me, completely uninteresting and unfun to navigate (nevermind fail conditions on most missions being razor thin and based on trial and error). AC4's naval combat was, to me, okay as like a minigame or something. But it became so goddamn tedious to go around in circles blowing up every boat you see in order to get the hunters on you and then you hoping that they're carrying the resources you need to upgrade your ship - and when they were carrying them, it was never ever an appreciable amount. It was just so incredibly unfun for me. That's why I'm skipping Rogue.

Unity has had some incredible sequences that really bring back the wonder I felt playing the earlier AC games (Arno's initiation and entering the Belle Epoch for the first time - I still have so much left to see). I count myself lucky that I haven't experienced any of the graphical issues that have come to define the game (playing on XBox One). The framerate never drops to an unplayable level for me. Sucks that Initiates still hasn't been fully implemented (we've been waiting on this since AC3, haven't we?). This game will be remembered as a rotten one, and that's too bad.

Prepare yourself for more Edward Kenways and Adewales and Sons of Blackbeard and yo ho ho ad nauseum. It'll be much to many's delight, to be sure.

shin01176
Dec 23, 2013

All Hail Bob Saget.
So finally managed work around for my computer crashing and restarting during the start up sequence (somehow alt tabbing right before the moment it crash's and alt tabbing back in gets past it).

Now my current issue is that it refuses to save my freaking game. Uplay syncro always fails and even using the local save files it puts me right back at the Knights Templar mission. Shits really annoying, anyone have any idea's?

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I agree with a lot that's being said about this game, having finished it around noon today.

Beyond the technical issues, I can't stand not being allowed to swap to another weapon in combat. I deeply miss counter attacks with a variety of weapons, while grabbing enemy weapons is gone and the animations for normal combo finishers aren't as engrossing as previous titles (though there are some gems in there). AI can be dumbfounded by simply standing on a roof out of sight - a problem the series had once before and was addressed a long time ago, to see it again here is mind boggling.

The unreliability of using the hidden dagger was also a big point of frustration. Eventually I'd resort to abusing the (pretty badly functional) cover system in order to "force" the game to use my dagger even when combat was out. Too many times would I just stand around with enemies staring me down but the game refused to put me into combat mode until a hit was landed on me. Very frustrating.

Just an overall very weak product for a series that I have always enjoyed since the first. There's so many mechanical departures from the previous titles as to make it almost an entirely new experience for me, which was sadly a bad one as I've lost a lot of the options that made me a fan of the series.

Looking for the good in it all, the WW2 Tower climb was a surprisingly good looking segment and a neat set piece, if maybe brief and a bit cheesy with the machine gun vs planes. There were moments where the game actually looked very good graphically, and it is impressive seeing how many people they were able to crowd into the streets.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How the gently caress do I use the phantom blade shot thing? I can't figure it out without wasting all my smoke bombs (again).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reverse Centaur posted:

How the gently caress do I use the phantom blade shot thing? I can't figure it out without wasting all my smoke bombs (again).
You need to equip it as your L1 attack by hitting left on the D-pad. After that you can do a quick shot by using L1, or holding L1 to aim and R2 to shoot.

Thinking about how Ubisoft will or won't find out customers' reactions to this bad launch in a way they will actually listen to, won't sales of the season pass and/or microtransactions tell them? I bought the game but I'm sure as hell not going to spend any more money on it if I have no confidence that it will be fixed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

You need to equip it as your L1 attack by hitting left on the D-pad. After that you can do a quick shot by using L1, or holding L1 to aim and R2 to shoot.

Thinking about how Ubisoft will or won't find out customers' reactions to this bad launch in a way they will actually listen to, won't sales of the season pass and/or microtransactions tell them? I bought the game but I'm sure as hell not going to spend any more money on it if I have no confidence that it will be fixed.

It really depends on the internal data they get. Unity is doing the "rate every mission" thing again so Ubisoft is going to be getting fairly regular reports on how far people get in the game. That will presumably give them some fairly reasonable data on where players drop off and what makes players invest microtransaction bux.

But it's also very possible they could read it wrong. "A bunch of players rushed the money-making place as quickly as they could, and that reduced our sales of Helix Points. Reduce the money making in the next game!"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Aphrodite posted:

Did you actually read the riddle?

He probably couldn't what with maybe 10 popups coming up at the same time covering it up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

It really depends on the internal data they get. Unity is doing the "rate every mission" thing again so Ubisoft is going to be getting fairly regular reports on how far people get in the game. That will presumably give them some fairly reasonable data on where players drop off and what makes players invest microtransaction bux.

But it's also very possible they could read it wrong. "A bunch of players rushed the money-making place as quickly as they could, and that reduced our sales of Helix Points. Reduce the money making in the next game!"
Oh yeah, those rating things. Who is actually rating them anyway?

Also, I don't see any reason to use the helix points, unless you want to collect and upgrade a bunch of equipment that you'll never use.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I finally put some significant time into it and now I'm about to put it on ebay asap before word spreads to the masses. Glad I got it for $20 off so it won't cost me much, if anything.

It took me a year to try AC3 after the turd that was Revelations, and this may be the worst of those three turds. If I didn't need a PS4 launch game I probably wouldn't have bothered with Black Flag either.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

What sucked so much about AC3? I only played for an hour or so after Connor become an assassin but I thought it was ok for that much.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

rizuhbull posted:

What sucked so much about AC3? I only played for an hour or so after Connor become an assassin but I thought it was ok for that much.
Besides the bugs and stuff, it was the strict linearity of the story missions that did it for me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

rizuhbull posted:

I found the story offensive and boring as a not-American who sympathizes with first nations. Connor was dumb as gently caress and I view the American revolution as a bunch of unnecessary violence to save some rich guys their tax dollars (still an on-going theme). Bad/boring mission design only made it worse.

It could have been great if they weren't afraid to show at least some of the patriots/traitors/genocidal maniacs as bad guys. But instead you get one throwaway line late in the game.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

rizuhbull posted:

It was buggy and lacked polish, but I think its most fatal flaw was that it missed out on what made Ezio in AC2 and Brotherhood* (and later Edward Kenway in Black Flag) bearable: a protagonist whose motivations match up, at least roughly, with the player's.

Ezio in his first two outings is motivated, almost from the word go, by the immediate and on-screen deaths of his family members because of assholes with extremely shankable kidneys. Edward wants to have fun and kick rear end in the Caribbean sun. Because you, the player, are onboard with this stuff, you can grin and bear it while they mumble tutorials on stealth and shanking people in the kidneys and stuff to themselves because you and the dude you're controlling on-screen both want the same thing.

Connor's motivated by a desire to protect his people, except sometimes he wants to see the American Revolution through, and then if it's an odd numbered day of the month he wants to make peace with his dad (not that anyone blames him). In order, we don't really care about his people, we know how the American Revolution is going to turn out and we wish we were still playing as Haytham (probably because, like the players themselves, Haytham likes to stab dudes and get things done and doesn't have time for anyone else's poo poo.)

Rogue makes the same mistake with Shay where, after accidentally causing an earthquake on the orders of his Mentor, he immediately threatens his fellow Assassins, shrieks about slaughtering innocents and acts surprised when no one puts up with his horseshit--but only after feeling bad about spending the last hour of gameplay shanking dudes in the kidneys.

*Revelations is an interesting case because it's about Ezio and the player both realizing they're coasting on intertia, admitting that they've had a good run and then going off to no longer be a video game protagonist/no longer play this video game anymore, respectively.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
What's the problem with Revelations? I got the AC series up to it on various Steam sales a while back, and I just now started playing it. AC1 was very lackluster, but I'm currently having a ton of fun parkouring through Renaissance Italy. I always figured Brotherhood and Revelations were just going to be more of the same, which I'd have absolutely no problem with. But apparently, Revelations has a pretty bad rep for some reason.

^
Ok, that gives me some idea.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

What's the problem with Revelations? I got the AC series up to it on various Steam sales a while back, and I just now started playing it. AC1 was very lackluster, but I'm currently having a ton of fun parkouring through Renaissance Italy. I always figured Brotherhood and Revelations were just going to be more of the same, which I'd have absolutely no problem with. But apparently, Revelations has a pretty bad rep for some reason.

Revelations was mostly Ezio burnout for a lot of people. Also Istanbul is maybe not as interesting as some of the other cities. It's still a perfectly good game though, and a very good end cap to both Ezio and Altair.

• Locked thread