Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Yeah, I had the Starter Deck on that run too, and like half of the super secret rooms were five cards in a cross pattern. Nothing like two Devils vs. Satan. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
There are some boring, tedious challenges in this game. The Tank is goddamn awful and I just died to War because he was faster than me and I couldn't kill him before he just repeatedly ran up and punched the poo poo out of me.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Okay, I am in the camp that The Haunt a) shouldn't ever be a Floor 1 boss and b) needs to be changed. He just killed me as Lazarus on the first floor because as far as I can figure he chained his speed boost like three or more times in one second and was bouncing off both walls at extreme speed, so I couldn't hit him reliably and his brimstone or body would hit me no matter where I went on the screen. It only lasted about five seconds but that was easily enough to take off three hearts. The respawn saved me and I took him out right after the respawn, but holy poo poo that's broken and not fun. He just needs to have a set speed moving back and forth on the top of the room like those old carnival shooting games, and either a tell for his brimstone like Monstro II (who is both easier and isn't a Floor 1 boss!) or just remove it entirely.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He only changes his speed if you go towards the top of the screen, if you stay at the bottom he's 100% predictable and very easy to dodge.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

If you drop a bomb in The Haunt's path he'll get stuck on it

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He also dies to like two bombs, which happen to block him when he moves towards you so they can't miss.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Demo Man challenge was a lot more fun than I would have thought. You start with good damage so the bombs aren't garbage, and I was also lucky enough to get Mr. Mega early on. I oneshot pretty much every non-boss enemy.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Suicide King's like a whole other game, I'm bypassing Krampus' Head for a Boomerang :coffeepal:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

goodness posted:

Or do because they give you a ton of pills/items.

Problem is they explode into poison gas occasionally. If you have a few hearts to spare it's worth it, but obviously not viable for the Lost.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Just wrecked a Chest run with ???. Got Mom's Knife and Mom's Eye (double knife is ace) really early, then topped that up with Tech 2, Krampus' Head and 3 Dollar Bill. Got a lucky freeze effect on Isaac, then got Polyphemus from the Chest. ??? died in less than a second.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Try Loki's Horns with Dr. Fetus and Quad Shot. Unless you have Pyromaniac there's zero chance of avoiding damage.

I had Loki's Horns, Ipecac and Quad Shot the other day. I was so close to a win in the Dark Room with Judas, got killed with The Lamb one hit from death.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Was doing The Tank, got to Mom, killed her with a half heart.

Then during the death animation a Greed head that had spawned a split second before the killing blow landed ran into me before I could touch the trophy.

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU....

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Does killing the Lamb and ??? unlock an item each with a character or is there only one for each of the bosses? I've done it with several characters but I've just now noticed with Judas that I neither got something for Isaac (except Something Icky, which I don't think is a Judas unlock plus I think I've killed Isaac with Judas already before, I just can't remember) nor ??? but I did get something for killing Satan and the Lamb in an earlier run.

octobernight
Nov 25, 2004
High Priest of the Christian-Atheist Church
Finally made boss rush room with Eden and then saved and quit to take a break afterward. I restarted the game and have no idea what do to now. No flight or bombs. I suspect that this could be a big problem when continuing so be very careful about which rooms you quit in.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Yes! Finally beat Mom's Heart with Eden. The game was kind enough to start me out with Lil Brimstone and the Unicorn Horn, which don't exactly combo, but were powerful enough for me to cruise through most of the boss fights. I didn't get a lot of damage upgrades, which made this one of the more tense Mom's Heart fights I've experienced so far.

And now the ??? runs begin. I remember I tended to get super lucky with ??? in the last game. (He was actually the first character I beat The Chest with.) Hopefully that luck continues.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Wish I wasn't the biggest choker at this. Had boss rush mode with Lost on hard, mom's knife with good damage, was coasting through the mode and of course champion Bloat catches me in the corner with an Ipecac shot. Ugh. The one part of the fight I could realistically lose to, and of course I do just that.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

yeah but drat that you got that far! lost boss rush will be my greatest challenge since i had speeding through levels.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Alright, someone needs to convince me that the Missingno item exists. It's the only thing that's missing on my item sheet for my real platinum god, and I've just had 5 consecutive runs with the D6 in the chest spamming it like crazy. What item pool is this crazy item in?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

MussoliniB posted:

Alright, someone needs to convince me that the Missingno item exists. It's the only thing that's missing on my item sheet for my real platinum god, and I've just had 5 consecutive runs with the D6 in the chest spamming it like crazy. What item pool is this crazy item in?

The one time I found it and took it it was in a secret room, iirc.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I accidentally went to the boss rush because I got Ludo on Azazel the first time I played him.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, finally beat my first Chest run ever (I have yet to reach the Lamb as well). Got loving carried as Eden. Started with a slow ROF but decent damage, White Pony, and Cupid's Arrow. Then proceeded to find a bunch of damage/ROFs/bullet speed ups and Tammy's head before I even got out of Basement/Cellar. Full Guppy in Utero, Laser tears and tri shot in Chest.

??? literally vaporized.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Yes, it seems ??? is still my good luck charm. First run with it, not only did I beat Mom's Heart and unlock It Lives, but I went to the Cathedral for the first time. Would have gone all the way too if it weren't for a room with eyeball leeches I absolutely could not manage to get through without taking damage (and being revived thanks to Dead Cat like four times).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is there any point to continuing to play on Hard mode once you've snapped up the additional Baby items for all characters? The RNG fucks me so hard and so often on that setting it really sucks the fun out for me.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Rocketlex posted:

Yes, it seems ??? is still my good luck charm. First run with it, not only did I beat Mom's Heart and unlock It Lives, but I went to the Cathedral for the first time. Would have gone all the way too if it weren't for a room with eyeball leeches I absolutely could not manage to get through without taking damage (and being revived thanks to Dead Cat like four times).

I feel like he's literally just got good luck too. I don't had unicorn horn on my last run and blood banks were paying out 2+ coins every hit, after a luck down pill.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Is there any point to continuing to play on Hard mode once you've snapped up the additional Baby items for all characters? The RNG fucks me so hard and so often on that setting it really sucks the fun out for me.

as far as i'm aware the only thing you have to do on hard is beat mom's heart unless you're playing as the lost.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Every time I see this screen I die a bit inside.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Out of all my runs on The Lost I've only made it past the Haunt once.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

I have more trouble with Dingle than the Haunt. I can't dodge the charge for the life of me.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Kawalimus posted:

Wish I wasn't the biggest choker at this. Had boss rush mode with Lost on hard, mom's knife with good damage, was coasting through the mode and of course champion Bloat catches me in the corner with an Ipecac shot. Ugh. The one part of the fight I could realistically lose to, and of course I do just that.

NOT THIS TIME THOUGH!!! Managed a Chest win on hard with this thing :D

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Somehow managed to beat Satan for the first time. My secret? getting like 20 damage and parasite coupled with dropped contact meant every time I pressed fire the screen exploded with an unholy swathe of projectile destroying damage particles. highlight of the run was standing next to moms heart holding fire down and the heart projectiles instantly getting destroyed and exploding into more projectiles.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

TheModernAmerican posted:

I have more trouble with Dingle than the Haunt. I can't dodge the charge for the life of me.

As soon as you see his puffed cheek charging face, stop firing at him, as that's just likely to modify his charge trajectory in an unpredictable way. Each charge is in three parts, with each part targeting you , so you want to be moving in a perpendicular direction to the charge each time it's coming. Often it's enough to lead Dingle around in sort of a triangle pattern.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The Humbling Bundle makes getting hit by greed heads profitable.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
List of items that will only appear in the Devil Room when I'm playing as Lost:

Gimpy, Guppy's Hair Ball, Missing Page 2, Razor Blade, Satanic Bible, Book of Sin, Lord of the Pit, Judas' Shadow, Ceremonial Robes, and the Dark Bum

And, of course, red chests full of spiders.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Hey, the book of sin's alright.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is there a known rate of Gimpy proccing?

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Kawalimus posted:

Bloat is just an rear end in a top hat no matter what. Not your fault you got hit by one of the 500 bullshit ways he could kill you.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Can Lost get soul/evil hearts or what? Because if it can, then I really doubt he's that hard, no-hitting the first 2-4 floors should be expected after a while.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the lost dies if it gets hit, no matter what

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

TheModernAmerican posted:

Can Lost get soul/evil hearts or what? Because if it can

Gonna stop you right there. No. The Lost cannot have any hearts period.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Well that's just silly. And it's tied to unlocks? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the unlocks from the lost are only required for true platinum god. normal platinum god is everything but, so honestly people can probably just go for platinum if they want to and leave it at that if they really don't care to do lost-related junk.