Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
You can't really make a religious organization that endorses forced captivity and enslavement as morally grey, much less the good side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Without the Templars being over-controlling dicks there'd only be an occasional abomination that wouldn't be that big a deal.

Cross-Section posted:

The future viscount of Kirkwall, everybody.
Only if the viscount could live in another city...and destroy Kirkwall altogether. :black101:

I wonder if on the first day of release the Keep will get unintentionally ddos'd by everyone trying to access it and export games.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 16, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You can't really make a religious organization that endorses forced captivity and enslavement as morally grey, much less the good side.

The Witch Hunters in Warhammer Fantasy and 40k do a pretty good job of being morally grey. :v: And the Fade is for the most part the Warp by any other name.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

This is the best gif.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You could make them sympathetic as a necessary evil trying to make the best of a bad situation while genuinely caring about everyone, but that was beyond DAII.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Drifter posted:

You're not asking the impossible but you've already gotten an answer. Maybe this is clearer than I was?

This does help thank you sorry I've been a pain in the rear end.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Geostomp posted:

You could make them sympathetic as a necessary evil trying to make the best of a bad situation while genuinely caring about everyone, but that was beyond DAII.

By the end I wanted to punch nearly everyone and everything in the throat. I hosed off outta there with my elf babe on arm and my sister on the other. I like to think we started a rock band afterwards.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I know you tried to make three-way babies, you sicko.

Flopsy posted:

This does help thank you sorry I've been a pain in the rear end.

You've not been a pain in the rear end. I just may not have been as clear as I could have.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Geostomp posted:

thats how it was in da:o so its weird how they made everyone super evil all the time in da2

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Drifter posted:

^^^ - I know you tried to make three-way babies, you sicko.

You've not been a pain in the rear end. I just may not have been as clear as I could have.

Eh, I played the gayest Hawke ever and Fenris was my bum buddy. Honestly didn't give a poo poo about either side at the end I just wanted to get my remaining friends and family out of that shithole and split.

If someone told me my sister was about to slaughtered by Ilsa the she-wolf in plate armor I wouldn't sit by with that poo poo.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Flopsy posted:

By the end I wanted to punch nearly everyone and everything in the throat.

Except your husbando4lyfe Anders, right?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Roobanguy posted:

thats how it was in da:o so its weird how they made everyone super evil all the time in da2

Because of a terribly misguided attempt to make Templars more sympathetic than people forced into slavery by an accident of birth. That and executive mandates for extra bosses overriding any story logic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Geostomp posted:

Because of a terribly misguided attempt to make Templars more sympathetic than people forced into slavery by an accident of birth. That and executive mandates for extra bosses overriding any story logic.

Say what you want about anything else, but it was pretty cool to have statues come to life as a boss fight. THe fight itself was kinda lame, but the idea was cool.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Archimago posted:

Except your husbando4lyfe Anders, right?

He creeped the poo poo out of me so no. Actually avoided him as much as I could for most of the game.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Flopsy posted:

He creeped the poo poo out of me so no. Actually avoided him as much as I could for most of the game.

I kept him around because I needed one mage in my party and it was not going to be that annoying elf.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Eh, I played the gayest Hawke ever and Fenris was my bum buddy. Honestly didn't give a poo poo about either side at the end I just wanted to get my remaining friends and family out of that shithole and split.

If someone told me my sister was about to slaughtered by Ilsa the she-wolf in plate armor I wouldn't sit by with that poo poo.

Ah, the Nier reason :hfive:

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Flopsy posted:

Maybe if you weren't bigoted against gays and/or mages you could see Anders for the misunderstood visionary he is.

I highly recommend you check your privilege for a few minutes and give this delightfully informative thesis a good read.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

She would have theoretically been stilled, yes? Sounds like fun.

Do the templars have to learn the name of every aes sedai mage that was stilled and their crime?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The problem with trying to make the Templar position seem reasonable is that the player is a super murderhobo who can kill mages with no problem. The templars and authorities like them are not going to make much sense to someone from that perspective.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm hoping the tarot deck won't be that badly priced on ebay. I don't usually get preorder bonuses off of it so :shrug:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Archimago posted:

Maybe if you weren't bigoted against gays and/or mages you could see Anders for the misunderstood visionary he is.

I highly recommend you check your privilege for a few minutes and give this delightfully informative thesis a good read.

See it's not the gay nor the mage bits I have a problem with it's the ah how do I put it...raging douchiness he exudes from every pore.That and he reminds me of a dude who had a crush on me and sexually harassed me in collage. So there's that too.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I know they're playing low level characters in those streams, but drat does MP seem like a slog.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

Flopsy posted:

See it's not the gay nor the mage bits I have a problem with it's the ah how do I put it...raging douchiness he exudes from every pore.That and he reminds me of a dude who had a crush on me and sexually harassed me in collage. So there's that too.

You should tweet that @DavidGaider so he knows his life's mission was accomplished.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flopsy posted:

Yeah that's pretty much what Anders is. That guy that lacks any sort of self-awareness and has to be walked through the fact that his character is garbage.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Anders, Misunderstood Genius or Brilliant Visionary???

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Origins was by far better, but the writing there was also iffy. That said, it was a drat masterpiece compared to DA2. I also concur on the throat-punching (in my case 2-handed sword stabbing). Pretty much everybody was terrible. I hated the templars, I disliked the mages, just wanted the drat city leveled. Oh, and I still don't get that there was no option to just kill off the uncle within an hour of game's start.

Edit: Bandit waves at night were also annoying, pointlessly annoying. Yeah, the 4 murderous looking individuals and a big rear end dog certainly look like easy targets.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Roobanguy posted:

If I remember right DAII explains this away with Kirkwall being used as a port for new Tevinter slaves who were tortured by mages until they were broken,making it filled with the remains of lifetimes of suffering and also crazy-rear end magic. Or something like that anyway.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If I was considering PC what would be the ideal way to buy it? CD retail seems like it would be stupid and require the disk to play, but I'm not sure the Origin store won't gently caress up if I try to get it straight from them.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So, if I'm reading this correctly - Qunari, Elves and Dwarves each get defense bonuses against one type of attack, and Humans... get an extra skill point? Like, they end up with one more ability then other characters? Considering that abilities are also how you increase your stats, that seems a wee bit overpowered.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Human is truly the master race suck it elves.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm guessing your armor has a larger effect on stats than skills (the stat increase are tied mostly to passives). But even having one more skill than other races makes the eventual agony of choosing skills easier.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

So, if I'm reading this correctly - Qunari, Elves and Dwarves each get defense bonuses against one type of attack, and Humans... get an extra skill point? Like, they end up with one more ability then other characters? Considering that abilities are also how you increase your stats, that seems a wee bit overpowered.

If it's like the other DAs then it'll be really useful early on but slowly taper off until by endgame it's useless because you already have more skill points then you really need. Since in DA:I you can't chug potions nonstop and thus have to manage your skills better, having an extra point in some random tree won't matter in comparison to the trees you've already filled.

Extra % defense never stops being useful though, especially that 25% magic d on dwarves. In past DAs magic was almost always what killed me fastest, so that's quite a perk.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

Anders, Misunderstood Genius or Brilliant Visionary???

Or the the guy who smells your hair and stares at your rear end when he thinks you're not looking whilst furiously penning a manifesto.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Or the the guy who smells your hair and stares at your rear end when he thinks you're not looking whilst furiously penning a manifesto.

Anders, Misunderstood Genius or Brilliant Visionary???????????????????

no trolling pls.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

You can also find consumables that give free skill points I think.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

If I was considering PC what would be the ideal way to buy it? CD retail seems like it would be stupid and require the disk to play, but I'm not sure the Origin store won't gently caress up if I try to get it straight from them.
I bought ME3 on CD, and it just had the install discs and an origin key. I don't need the disc to play the game at all. I assume this will be the same.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Crabtree posted:

There's no difference. The retail version will save you from having to download most of the game but there's no disc check. I don't think any pc game has used a disc check in years.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

If I remember right DAII explains this away with Kirkwall being used as a port for new Tevinter slaves who were tortured by mages until they were broken,making it filled with the remains of lifetimes of suffering and also crazy-rear end magic. Or something like that anyway.

Close. There's a powerful blood magic engine under the city that weakens the Veil in Kirkwall and makes it a lightning rod for powerful demons. Tens of thousands of Tevinter slaves were sacrificed to fuel it, and it remains operational in modern times.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Close. There's a powerful blood magic engine under the city that weakens the Veil in Kirkwall and makes it a lightning rod for powerful demons. Tens of thousands of Tevinter slaves were sacrificed to fuel it, and it remains operational in modern times.

You never get to see said machine though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You never get to see said machine though, right?

Nope, you only find out about it from codex entries.

• Locked thread