Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

Toriori posted:

Pemmican

Arrrg you meanie! Now I'm craving me some pemmican with dried saskatoons or dry meat. You just cant get that in BC.
I only get it at Christmas. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

I literally had this like an hour ago. Small world.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
When I think "British" and "Drunk Food" I think of that thing where you go to a food cart an they just jam like fifty loving greasy things into a box and charge you a flat rate. Then you go off and dig through your slop trough of tikka, chips, two slices of pizza and a bratwurst and wonder what terrible choices you've made to bring yourself to this place.

Or Nandos, I know it's in many different countries but the Brits seem to get really into Nandos in the way 20 something white girls are into Chipotle.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

El Estrago Bonito posted:

When I think "British" and "Drunk Food" I think of that thing where you go to a food cart an they just jam like fifty loving greasy things into a box and charge you a flat rate. Then you go off and dig through your slop trough of tikka, chips, two slices of pizza and a bratwurst and wonder what terrible choices you've made to bring yourself to this place.

I've never heard of this here in the states and that obviously needs to change.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's kinda like the halal carts on the streets of NYC, where you get a styrofoam box full of rice and chicken/lamb/whatever and fries and tomatoes/lettuce and some falafel balls and sauce on top, with the mix depending on whatever is hot at the time.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
When I saw people getting them in London they were in normal sized take away boxes, but apparently if you go to Scotland they kick it up a notch in the way only the Scots can when it comes to fried food:
https://23x.net/5/what-is-a-munchy-box.html

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

...Okay, yes, that is different. :eyepop:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Data Graham posted:

...Okay, yes, that is different. :eyepop:

Apparently the one in that article is pretty tame:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And they make money throwing that much crap in a box for like £5, do they?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Scotland sounds amazing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Data Graham posted:

Well it's all cheap bulk food, one purchase probably can buy the ingredients for two or three of those boxes if they are buying from a distributor. I know in the US when I worked for a Mom and Pop place that had a greasy snack food counter we bought massive bags of fries for like 4 dollars and things like Onion Rings, Coleslaw, Corndogs and Chicken Wings were only slightly cheaper. Basically if we sold one 10 dollar meal deal of JoJo's, Wings, Corndog, Coleslaw and Soda we could at least break even on the cost of food for a single day. And even in a small town we would sell probably ten or twenty of them on the slowest days because small town America is depressing.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Data Graham posted:

They gamble with food costs, you gamble with your stomach. Typically after a festive enough night one does feel like a bad enough dude to take that gamble. v:v:v

(Food and drink costs in Scotland are much lower than what you'd find in England, especially compared to London. A++ reason to visit Scotland, esp Glasgow, over anywhere else in the UK.)

Pomp posted:

Scotland sounds amazing.

Scottish chippies basically specialize in food that Americans would only cook for state and county fairs, and even then only ironically. :scotland:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I googled this to find a picture and I think I stumbled across something even worse:

I ate the rotten Greenland shark and I would not loving touch this in a million years.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Scottish chippies basically specialize in food that Americans would only cook for state and county fairs, and even then only ironically. :scotland:

Only one country could have invented the deep fried battered mars bar.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

fermun posted:

A Michigan pasty is basically a handheld meat pie though and I think a lot of midwesterners will know of it as well. Pretty regional still though.

:australia: that's not a meat pie oval office
is a meat pie

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Jaaam posted:

Speaking of pies...

That is called a pie floater, which is a meat pie with mashed up peas all over it. I've never eaten one, because I've always found them disgusting, like on a primal level. I mean just look at that! :barf:

Apparently they're quite nice though.

:australia:

and it's tomato sauce not ketchup mate

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

McSpergin posted:

is a meat pie

This guy gets it.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I can't wait for my trip back home to Glasgow in 2 weeks. :scotland:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Dios Mio :stare:

I'd buy and grub on all of that, drunk or not.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

McSpergin posted:

is a meat pie
That's just a pot pie. You're not fooling anyone, Australia.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Since when were pot pies two and a half inches to three and a half inches across with a pastry base? By definition, only the lid (if that) of the pot pie is pastry.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

McSpergin posted:

The lack of an apostrophe here makes for a very interesting kind of meat pie.

Or a very interesting kind of oval office.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
In which we learn the difference between apostrophes and commas

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh, whoops.

That's a Freudian slip. I just want a Meat Pie's oval office.

EDIT:

Found it.

Cream-of-Plenty has a new favorite as of 03:56 on Nov 16, 2014

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

El_Elegante posted:

In which we learn the difference between apostrophes and commas

beaten lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Only one country could have invented the deep fried battered mars bar.

To be fair, no one in Scotland eats it, they sell it to the tourists who've heard about it and want to try "Scottish Food"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Loomer posted:

Since when were pot pies two and a half inches to three and a half inches across with a pastry base? By definition, only the lid (if that) of the pot pie is pastry.

Maybe in lazyland where you're from. Our pot pies are always complete. What kind of pie doesn't have a pastry base, anyway? Isn't that what a pie is? Pastry filled with goop?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

McSpergin posted:

is a meat pie

Awww, its a cute little muffin in a cup.

And people sometimes will refer to a pizza as a pie around here so if you wanted a meat pie you might end up with something like:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Picnic Princess posted:

Maybe in lazyland where you're from. Our pot pies are always complete. What kind of pie doesn't have a pastry base, anyway? Isn't that what a pie is? Pastry filled with goop?

A pot pie, by definition, has no pastry other than its lid. If it does, it necessarily follows that it is not actually a pot pie. I agree, though, they are shameful.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Loomer posted:

A pot pie, by definition, has no pastry other than its lid. If it does, it necessarily follows that it is not actually a pot pie. I agree, though, they are shameful.

At least in the US, you can buy single-serving pot-pies out of the frozen foods sections (or KFC drive-through) that are crust all the way around so on the outside they look like McSpergin's post of a meat pie but with a different filling. This is what a lot of people consider a pot pie to be.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

pentyne posted:

To be fair, no one in Scotland eats it, they sell it to the tourists who've heard about it and want to try "Scottish Food"

I bought one from a fish and chip shop here in NZ once. It was awful.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

pentyne posted:

I thought "Scottish Food" meant haggis with tatties and neeps.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kalos posted:

At least in the US, you can buy single-serving pot-pies out of the frozen foods sections (or KFC drive-through) that are crust all the way around so on the outside they look like McSpergin's post of a meat pie but with a different filling. This is what a lot of people consider a pot pie to be.

Man that is just hosed up.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Zopotantor posted:

I thought "Scottish Food" meant haggis with tatties and neeps.

Replace the haggis with mince and this is amazing (because gently caress haggis).

Also true about the deep fried Mars bars, most places won't even make them for you because they need to change the oil afterwards so it's a pain in the arse. Found this out when trying to buy one in Glasgow for a friend visiting from abroad. It was near impossible. That said a deep fried Twix is way better than a deep fried Mars bar, I have eaten two in my life and I regret nothing.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Am I too late for Thanksgiving chat?

Every year, my mom makes Strawberry Bavarian, which may be a horrible pile of Pepto-pink glop, but is amazingly tasty.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

McSpergin posted:

:australia:

and it's tomato sauce not ketchup mate

It's actually a good idea conceptually, just ruined by cheap ingredients. If you break open the pie you're going to get the meat gravy floating in and it'd mix with the soup. That'd be a good mix of savory flavour.

Agatha Crispies
Jan 15, 2010

Contains 100% daily dose of little grey cells
:stare:

I don't actually know what this is.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Agatha Crispies posted:

The black stuff is century egg, the pink is spam, and the white is progably regular egg, that looks like a steamed egg bowl with a bunch of somewhat unusual filling, but its probably pretty tasty. Google says the english term for this is "egg custard" but I don't think that's right, custard to me means something sweet.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Agatha Crispies posted:

I suspect fish may be involved. Whatever it is, I hope there's a law against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

http://honeybeesweets88.blogspot.ca/2011/11/steamed-flower-tofu-and-pear-soup-with.html

quote:

2 century eggs, peeled, sliced into 6 -8 wedges per egg
4 slices Ham, sliced into strips
2 beaten fried egg, cooled and sliced into strips
1 silken tofu (250g)
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste

I was at a hotel in Kuching, Malaysia, and they had deep-fried century eggs, which I didn't know because every non-Western food had labels written in Malay and Arabic. I took one to try, but when I cut it open, I just couldn't do it. Didn't help that I was slightly hungover and that thing wasn't making that any better.

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Nov 18, 2014

• Locked thread