Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Wait seriously? gently caress it i'm gonna try a scout-only run of this game, it sounds like it would be easier than trying to play the game that way instead of the intended way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think it's even more boring playing it broken. Once you know how to break it the game is just completely different. Pointless even.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Wait seriously? gently caress it i'm gonna try a scout-only run of this game, it sounds like it would be easier than trying to play the game that way instead of the intended way.

Considering how the ranking system works, scout-only is the intended way.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Tae posted:

Considering how the ranking system works, scout-only is the intended way.
This is why I am waiting for a mod to overhaul the ranking system before I play any more of it. I like to play slowly and carefully, utilizing lots of shocktroopers, but the game decides that this strategy is inferior to SCOUT RUSH FOREVER. (Or, in later games, APC-ASSISTED SCOUT RUSH FOREVER)

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Cake Attack posted:

Ace weapons suck except the flamethrowers

best way to take down a tank if you don't want to use lancers is to use the damage boost order (you may not have it yet) on a scout and have them shoot the radiator

Weren't there couple Ace weapons in a few skirmish missions that were kind of OP?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This is why I am waiting for a mod to overhaul the ranking system before I play any more of it. I like to play slowly and carefully, utilizing lots of shocktroopers, but the game decides that this strategy is inferior to SCOUT RUSH FOREVER. (Or, in later games, APC-ASSISTED SCOUT RUSH FOREVER)

Here is to hoping that somebody can mod the rankings. That said, shooting Nazi tanks with Scouts never gets old. Neither does Sniper Power hey there Marina. Let's just say a particular sniper at the end game pretty much can hit anything with their final potential. Take that and an engineer (for ammo replenishment), and you are talking some cool stuff going on (if scout rushing ever gets old).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, if I want money+exp fast, I just one-turn the 1st skirmish mission. Or are the further ones far more significant in rewards?

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Honestly? Almost all the skirmish maps can be completed so quickly just scout-rushing with Alicia that you can just pick any one and make it viable. The rewards get exponentially better for one-turning the later maps so it just gets less tedious. My personal map of choice was windmill plaza. It's hard to gently caress up one-turning and it gives good rewards.

Mr. Sunabouzu fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 13, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

I mean, if I want money+exp fast, I just one-turn the 1st skirmish mission. Or are the further ones far more significant in rewards?

Story Missions you do want As later on as you get the special weapons for that. That said, yeah, grinding a bit on skirmish missions is a great way to get more XP/ducats for leveling and upgrades. It does not take a lot of time either.

Also, I am still floored at how smooth this port runs. I am running at 4K in GeDoSaTo with steady 60fps. Controls being fully remappable is also great and with mouse sensitivity at 100% it's great inside missions. I am completely used to menu navigation now and didn't even mess with the keyboard bindings beyond minor tweaking though.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

oblomov posted:

Story Missions you do want As later on as you get the special weapons for that. That said, yeah, grinding a bit on skirmish missions is a great way to get more XP/ducats for leveling and upgrades. It does not take a lot of time either.

Also, I am still floored at how smooth this port runs. I am running at 4K in GeDoSaTo with steady 60fps. Controls being fully remappable is also great and with mouse sensitivity at 100% it's great inside missions. I am completely used to menu navigation now and didn't even mess with the keyboard bindings beyond minor tweaking though.

How does GeDoSaTo even work? I tried to use it but I couldn't seem to make it do anything.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Golden Battler posted:

How does GeDoSaTo even work? I tried to use it but I couldn't seem to make it do anything.

You download the program, run it, make sure to run updater post launch from program directory. Once it opens, hit up "Edit Settings" button. You will see a script screen with a little drop down for a profile on the bottom.

There are 3 different profiles you have to worry about for a particular game.

1. GeDoSato.ini - general profile with default stuff in it. Stick your actual monitor resolution in here:
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 60

2. GeDoSato Game Config file - ex. config\ffxiiiimg\GeDoSaTo.ini. This will contain game specific configs as well as some tweaks. Here is one for FFXIII for me:

clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 3840x2160@60 - sets the res to downsample from
MSAASampleCount 4 - MSAA (2 to 8)
shadowScale 4 (shadow level)

3. GeDoSaTo Game User File - ex. config\ffxiiiimg\GeDoSaTo_user.ini- above but customized with more stuff. This is easy way to mess with settings without affecting main game profile. Create one by hitting a little "U" button next to particular game selected in profile drop down. Here is mine for FFXIII:

renderResolution 3840x2160
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
forcePresentRes True

#overrideWidth 0
#overrideHeight 0

MSAASampleCount 4
enableCoverageSampling true
shadowScale 4
#presentInterval 0
scalingType bicubic

You don't have to use the user ini, it's convenient sometimes for certain games. For FFXIII, there are a lot of settings i play around with but with VC1 you just need to worry about downsampling and that's it. AF should be done through the driver. VSync can be done through GeDoSaTo sometimes, but that does not work for all games (like FFXIII). For VC1, I just use in game vsync, but some people reported issues.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I did do most of that stuff (not the specifics, but I did mess with the render resolution and such), but my problem is that I can't actually see any difference when I boot up the game. Does it have to be running fullscreen? Cause I normally run games windowed.

e: changing the window size to be the same as my monitor seemed to fix it for some reason? I don't really get it, I even tried setting presentWidth/Height to the game's window size (when I had it smaller) rather than my monitor size before but that didn't work :iiam:. Kinda defeats part of the point of why I play games windowed but whatever, I'll take it.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 13, 2014

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Golden Battler posted:

I did do most of that stuff (not the specifics, but I did mess with the render resolution and such), but my problem is that I can't actually see any difference when I boot up the game. Does it have to be running fullscreen? Cause I normally run games windowed.

e: changing the window size to be the same as my monitor seemed to fix it for some reason? I don't really get it, I even tried setting presentWidth/Height to the game's window size (when I had it smaller) rather than my monitor size before but that didn't work :iiam:. Kinda defeats part of the point of why I play games windowed but whatever, I'll take it.

Wait, for which game? If it's for VC1, then leave all that poo poo alone except for setting your output to your monitor and the 4K (or whatever) rendering and then change it IN GAME to that resolution. If you want to play windowed full screen, use Windowed Borderless Gaming util.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I have like 100k gold just chilling in VC1... when can I spend it? The upgrades come slower than the rewards they give you which seems weird.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kild posted:

I have like 100k gold just chilling in VC1... when can I spend it? The upgrades come slower than the rewards they give you which seems weird.

Upgrades are tied to class level, actually. Run some skirmishes and upgrade your troops to be able to research their better weapons/armor.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Upgrades are tied to class level, actually. Run some skirmishes and upgrade your troops to be able to research their better weapons/armor.

Oh thats cool to know. So what controls armor upgrades? Average level of the classes or something? Highest level?

Atm I'm 12 scout 8 ST 8 Lancer 1 Engi 5 Sniper on CH.7 and only done each skirmish once on normal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kild posted:

Oh thats cool to know. So what controls armor upgrades? Average level of the classes or something? Highest level?

Atm I'm 12 scout 8 ST 8 Lancer 1 Engi 5 Sniper on CH.7 and only done each skirmish once on normal.

You'll want to upgrade Engineers a little, just so they don't squish quite so easily. There's a couple tank-heavy missions later in the game you'll want one or two for to keep the Edelweiss from dying.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Rascyc posted:

Ya it's like an anime Romance of the Three Kingdoms game. I really enjoyed it but had to turn all animations off because they were horrific. Mostly I just really liked the art and concept of the game. Really strange others haven't appeared like it. I think there's a Sega CD or Saturn game that was like it though, but I forget the name. Dragon something or another?

I think it was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Force

That was one of the few games I ever bought for my Sega Saturn. Finally got Saturn emulation working a few months ago and dug up my copy of Dragon Force and played through again. It's much easier and fits my time table better now with save states. :)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I had a copy of Dragon Force as a child, no memory card, and no way to get one.

It was suffering.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

evilskillit posted:

That was one of the few games I ever bought for my Sega Saturn. Finally got Saturn emulation working a few months ago and dug up my copy of Dragon Force and played through again. It's much easier and fits my time table better now with save states. :)

Save states are so convenient, even if I have to restrain myself from savescumming. every. single. event. :negative:

It does help with those grindy jRPGs though. Beats playing them on console by far.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Aside from savestates, I like the option to fastforward older JRPGS. It's sort of amazing how long random battles take in some of them otherwise.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Baby Babbeh posted:

Aside from savestates, I like the option to fastforward older JRPGS. It's sort of amazing how long random battles take in some of them otherwise.

FFIX immediately comes to mind.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I don't even want to know how many precious hours of my life I lost to PSX/PS2 loading times. It's amazing that we somehow managed to slog through the questionable design decisions of that period, emphasizing showiness over not wasting your goddamned time.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Heavy neutrino posted:

I don't even want to know how many precious hours of my life I lost to PSX/PS2 loading times. It's amazing that we somehow managed to slog through the questionable design decisions of that period, emphasizing showiness over not wasting your goddamned time.

Star Ocean 2. Hooray, I've learnt the ultimate spell, "30,000 cubes falling from the sky and exploding for 9999 damage", now get used to watching the 8-second animation over and over

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Of all the quality of life improvements Bravely Default implemented the ability to set battles to fast forward has to be up there as one of the best ones.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Yeah I've played through a fair amount of old games on emulators but fast forward is a requirement. I don't have the time I used to, if I can't compress the bullshit part of the experience I'll just do something else. :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Funny thing, I was all about the speedup when I was a teenager, but these days I find myself turning the speed multiplier down to 1 in case I reflexively hit the turbo key. I actually don't mind playing these good old games at regular speed, taking me a number of months to plod through them, like I used to when I was little.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Just chiming in to say that I downloaded both Exit Fate and Last Scenario based on the last couple of pages in this thread... and holy crap, Exit Fate really impresses so far. Brings back a lot of good memories of playing through Suikoden I and II in high school.

Who know that there were good RPG Maker games? Sure, these are apparently the only two, but I'll take it.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Vrikkian posted:

Just chiming in to say that I downloaded both Exit Fate and Last Scenario based on the last couple of pages in this thread... and holy crap, Exit Fate really impresses so far. Brings back a lot of good memories of playing through Suikoden I and II in high school.

Who know that there were good RPG Maker games? Sure, these are apparently the only two, but I'll take it.

Suikoden I and II are still my top favourite RPGs, so I absolutely loved Exit Fate. Gotta be honest and say I could never get past the beginning of LS though.

There are some other good rpgmaker games out there for sure, it just really depends what your preferences/priorities are. Unique gameplay, combat like game XYZ or storytelling.

I remember there was a japanese rpgmaker game that was based on SMT Nocturne and that game was the bomb even though I couldn't understand poo poo, anyone else played it?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
The only thing that comes to mind is Blood Haze. Is that it?

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
My tastes are the less anime-overload, the better. I like things in the Suikoden flavor because... yeah, they are anime and cartoony, but the political intrigue and warfare is fun. As long as the gameplay, story, and/or worlds are entertaining I can look past some overused tropes.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Vrikkian posted:

My tastes are the less anime-overload, the better. I like things in the Suikoden flavor because... yeah, they are anime and cartoony, but the political intrigue and warfare is fun. As long as the gameplay, story, and/or worlds are entertaining I can look past some overused tropes.

You should try VC1. Yes, it's anime, but some of the story is pretty dark, in a WWII manner (civilians killed, concentration camps, massacres, terrorists, etc...). Art direction is also very cool in this game, less anime and more dutch paintings, that sort of thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

oblomov posted:

You should try VC1. Yes, it's anime, but some of the story is pretty dark, in a WWII manner (civilians killed, concentration camps, massacres, terrorists, etc...). Art direction is also very cool in this game, less anime and more dutch paintings, that sort of thing.

They also keep the comedy stuff off the battlefield entirely. Whenever you see them on-mission they're all quite competent soldiers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would not recommend Valkyria Chronicles if anime puts you off, because there's straight up DBZ power levels as a plot point. Like if Suikoden barely tided you over, VC is way too much for you.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

I would not recommend Valkyria Chronicles if anime puts you off, because there's straight up DBZ power levels as a plot point. Like if Suikoden barely tided you over, VC is way too much for you.

Well, that does not kick in till about 3/4 of the game (on your side at least). First 3/4 is non-Nazis invading the non-Dutch and the chaos that ensues with you in the middle.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Doesn't every anime turn into Dragonball Z in the last quarter?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

oblomov posted:

Well, that does not kick in till about 3/4 of the game (on your side at least). First 3/4 is non-Nazis invading the non-Dutch and the chaos that ensues with you in the middle.

I'm not talking about getting a nuclear bomb yourself, I'm talking about the plot being about invincible gods which appears in-game as soon as chapter 7.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

I'm not talking about getting a nuclear bomb yourself, I'm talking about the plot being about invincible gods which appears in-game as soon as chapter 7.

That is true, but it's actually not bad until your side gets there and things get stupid toward the end of the game. At the end, this is not quite a pure WWII story, but instead it does have fantastical elements to it, obviously, and they parallel more against Northern mythology, especially earlier in the game (considering which side they occur on) vs "ANIME is Happening".

While there are elements of that, the game is great, strategy parts are interesting, subject matter outside of magical beings is dark and grim, and the game is very good. There is a reason why 6 year old port of a PS3 game sold like gangbusters on steam and it's not just because people can't get enough "anime" on Steam.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i love anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FF13 also sold like gangbusters on steam despite being a super lovely port in comparison to VC and also being generally a shittier game. It's more like people just want PS3 ports that weren't available before.