Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Unova starts with Pikachu literally getting nerfed by god, and then losing to a new trainer with a brand new pokemon. Okay, that's a decent way to get around the "why doesn't Ash just steamroll everything" conundrum, and it sets up the rival as not actually being all that good, just lucky. Now Ash can just start over an- what's that? Pikachu gets repowered in like three episodes?

And he still loses to the brand new trainer anyways?

:psyduck:

Even DBZ didn't poo poo on Krillin that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I stopped watching pokemon after they went to Hoenn, and everything being described about later seasons just sounds like the exact same things that were terrible about Johto so I don't know why people older than 10 keep watching this poo poo.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

BlitzBlast posted:

Unova starts with Pikachu literally getting nerfed by god, and then losing to a new trainer with a brand new pokemon. Okay, that's a decent way to get around the "why doesn't Ash just steamroll everything" conundrum, and it sets up the rival as not actually being all that good, just lucky. Now Ash can just start over an- what's that? Pikachu gets repowered in like three episodes?

And he still loses to the brand new trainer anyways?

:psyduck:

Even DBZ didn't poo poo on Krillin that hard.

Previously they had Ash get his rear end handed to him in the Sinnoh tournament to an rear end in a top hat with AT LEAST two Legendaries and probably more under his belt. The Legendaries themselves where hax beyond belief. This happened purely so Ash couldn't win.

Meanwhile Krillin gets a hot cyborg wife and starts a family. At least Toriyama let him have that, even if everyone got overshadowed by the Saiyans.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Pokemon Origins was great simply because the protagonist was competent and actually learned poo poo throughout the series, even if the whole thing was basically a Pokemon X/Y advertisement.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ash does learn, it's just that each season he is rebooted. He is doomed to be ten forever, never to win a major league, and never to catch them all.

It's rather tragic, I can't hate Ash when he is so completely a plaything. It is literally not Ash's fault that he is the way he is, the universe just will never let him succeed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

IncendiaC posted:

Pokemon Origins was great simply because the protagonist was competent and actually learned poo poo throughout the series, even if the whole thing was basically a Pokemon X/Y advertisement.

It was a great concept with some great animation, but they spent all four episodes avoiding almost any Pokemon battles and then there was that awful ending.

I was really excited and then really really let down. I wanted gym leader battles and Elite Four battles, not a bunch of time talking about a Cubone.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Ash does learn, it's just that each season he is rebooted. He is doomed to be ten forever, never to win a major league, and never to catch them all.

It's rather tragic, I can't hate Ash when he is so completely a plaything. It is literally not Ash's fault that he is the way he is, the universe just will never let him succeed.

Ash is Endless Eight before Endless Eight.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Well, they're making a OR/AS special, so let's hope they don't poo poo on that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All I'm saying is that I would have loved a commercial that stretched for 12 episodes.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I think I kind of like the pacing of the original DBZ anime. It takes a long time for stuff to happen, but the trade off is that there's a lot of little character moments and comedy bits mixed in, and it really rounds the whole thing out.

Maybe it's just that I'm rewatching the Cell saga specifically and that part is super weirdly good, but it's a lot less annoying than I remember from when I was a kid.

e: baby Gohan could tunnel through trees? What the gently caress?

e2: Jesus Christ they actually followed up on the driving test episode, this rewatch was a good idea.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 16, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I watched Kai all the way through (well, all the way to the last dubbed episode, so end of Cell Saga) and felt that the Namek/Freeza Saga benefited most from the Kai treatment. Android/Cell Saga, I still prefer in Z. The filler was better since, as you said, it gave a lot of good character moments.

And on a dub level, I don't think there was any need for much improvement by the Cell Saga. The Freeza Saga was Funi's first ever in-house dub and my god it shows. Even when they went back and redubbed it, it still had "mondo cool" and Linda Young Freeza. Linda Young is amazing as Genkai but...no, just no on her being Freeza.

Cell Saga is different. Chuck Huber and Meredith McCoy were perfect as Android 17 and 18 and even amongst the dub haters Dameon Clarke is given mad props for his Cell. Well-deserved props I might add.

There was also something very off about Eric Vale's Future Trunks in Kai. My personal view is that he took the whole John Connor thing to heart and modeled his Future Trunks voice off Christian Bale. And it was pretty annoying.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 16, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

NikkolasKing posted:

Even when they went back and redubbed it, it still had "mondo cool"

That's right, boys. Mondo cool. :getin:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Mr Satan cutting a loving pro wrestling promo against Cell live on the news is one of the most genuinely badass things in this show.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Speaking of moments, DB has its fair share of outright serious/dramatic moments. What are some of your favorites? Quick three list of mine:

*Trunks finding Gohan in the Trunks special and his transformation into ssj. Finding the lifeless body in the rain, crying, and then boom.

*Both times Goku says farewell to Gohan. First time against Cell, second time before Gohan departs to fight Buu.

*Vegeta hugging Trunks before sacrificing his life against fat Buu

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Finding Krillin dead at the start of the King Piccolo Saga.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Goten meeting Goku at the tournament chokes me right the hell up every time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

NikkolasKing posted:

That was dark as poo poo. Even knowing how everything turns out, the way Krillin's lifeless corpse is drawn and animated is really morbid, especially for Dragonball.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

That poo poo still gives me chills and makes him later going SSJ over it make a ton of sense

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
In DBM news, more people get revived. Audience members getting angry that they missed some fights got some chuckles outta me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think I might have already asked this but how does the afterlife work in a universe that's never known life?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StrifeHira posted:

In DBM news, more people get revived. Audience members getting angry that they missed some fights got some chuckles outta me.

Hope they show Emperor Veggie soon, want to see how he responds to his loss.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
So far, my favorite part of Battle of Gods has been watching Vegeta poo poo bricks and willingly humiliate himself in front of all his family and friends. I had no idea this would be so funny.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The part after that where he decides to fight Bills anyway when he hits Bulma is even better.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
That was definitely great. As was the reveal that Goku was there watching the whole time.

Edit: Thirty-eight is crazy old!

gnomewife fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 17, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the big dog pit bull is in the building

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

With Yamcha starring as Rock Lee. Or is it the other way around?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Oh my god

Goku has a new thing on his gi!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

quote:

In an interview with original creator Akira Toriyama in the magazine, he says that the 'F' in the title in fact stands for "Frieza," who will be revived in the film. Toriyama noted that he thought of the title while listening to the song "F" by Band Maximum The Hormone, who he came to know personally through a friend. In fact, one of the members told him that they had been singing the song about Frieza.

The magazine describes the story:

An Earth where peace has arrived. However, remnants of Frieza's army Sorbet and Tagoma (from the Japanese word for 'egg') arrive on the planet. Their goal is to revive Frieza with the dragon balls. Their dastardly wish is granted, the "F" that plans its revenge against the Saiyans is revived...!

Soooo...uh...Freeza gets revived, Goten punches him in the face, movie ends?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It would be amazing if the movie is just a giant joke about how ridiculously outclassed Freeza is now.

Like that one special with Vegeta's brother.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Darko posted:

Soooo...uh...Freeza gets revived, Goten punches him in the face, movie ends?

Krillin finally pulls off his Solar Flare/Kienzan combo. Beerus laughs.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rudoku posted:

Krillin finally pulls off his Solar Flare/Kienzan combo. Beerus laughs.

Given that Krillen is apparently bald again, maybe so?

Seriously, if this movie has Krillen and Yamcha beating up Freeza with Freeza so confused, I will laugh so hard.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As someone who was disappointed with Battle of the Gods, a movie where Frieza is the main villain sounds great.

Especially if he reaches a new level of power and reclaims his title as the strongest in the universe (before retcons, anyway). :dance:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Movie should end with Freeza being yet another reformed bad guy, leaving Cell as the only major baddy not to make the list (Buu gets reincarnated into Uub AND has Mr Buu hanging around Satan).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not sure if I would like that or hate it.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Blockhouse posted:

This is going to ruleeeeee.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Oh neat, we're getting more of Bills and Whis too. :3:

Does anyone know why Toriyama returned to DB after like a solid 20 years, by the way? I'm not complaining, just sorta curious because it was pretty out of nowhere.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
C'mon guys Freeza's totally gonna get some kind of super power up off his second dragon ball wish.

Also note the emblem on Goku's gi.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So is this the movie where Vegeta finally gets to be the star or is it the one after that?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Darko posted:

Movie should end with Freeza being yet another reformed bad guy, leaving Cell as the only major baddy not to make the list (Buu gets reincarnated into Uub AND has Mr Buu hanging around Satan).

Oh hell yes. I wanna see Freeza hanging around Kame House watching aerobics with Master Roshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Frieza beats up King Dog and becomes king of Earth.

Turns out dealing with all the world threatening events that would destroy his planet takes up too much time for him to bother being evil.

• Locked thread