Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

His stomp doesn't seem to care about how fast you are because its basically instant. You just have to be far enough away from him that he can't use it, otherwise you're always at risk of getting hit.

So of course there are rooms filled with multiple mega fatties later on and not enough space between them to avoid the slams.

he'll do it to me even when we're on opposite sides of the room so i'm not too sure distance keeps him from using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Secret rooms are almost always useless and there's not much else to use them on, though. Unless the game hides the one key on the floor behind some rocks or there's a blue rock I see no point in holding onto a bomb.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can bomb the secret room dude for a chance at a steam sale and the mushroom secret room layout can get you a lot of chances at pills and mushroom collectibles for a relatively low bomb cost. Cash from secret rooms is also a lot more important now that there are so many good shop items. The odds of any one secret room being a big deal may be low but getting a good one early can be run defining. Much like curse rooms and blue rocks, really.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Aaaaaaaaaaaa

Had an amazing Eve run going for my final unlock with her(The Lamb) and a bomb knocked me into the Polaroid. :argh:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dang it dang it dang it! Made it all the way down to satan with ??? and just couldn't bring it home. There was so much attrition from rooms with multiple laser eye monsters! There's just no dodging those, even with high speed.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
another thing that has cost me so many lost runs:
enemies that home in on you and if you want any chance at getting on with it and killing them to move on you hit them, which causes them to gain momentum in strange directions. most likely towards you.

haunt, the fetus part of any gemini like boss, those retarded turd bosses, the guy that looks like gourdy, etc etc.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Just had back-to-back wins as ??? on Satan and Isaac :toot:

It was only because I didn't read what unlocked the D6 so I thought it was Satan and had to do it again :bravo:

I got Ipecac on the first floor on the Isaac run, and holy hell is it a LOT better than BoI. I only blew myself up like three times the entire run, which was balanced by my buffed explosive shots taking every single boss out in like six hits. Bob's Brain is also a great addition to Ipecac because you're already firing in ways that shouldn't have you Brain yourself, or if you do you take the same amount of damage from both explosions than one so whatever.

I'm also bad at this game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I lost a really good ??? run in a terribly embarrassing way. I had a completely broken combo right from the first two floors; midas touch and gnawed leaf. All I needed to do was let any enemy run into me and boom free gold. Greed got the best of me, and I kept trying to midas every single enemy too early and lost all my health. I was loaded with gold but the shops didn't carry any soul hearts so I died a stupid death with a broken items. :rip:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Should I focus on getting the negative done before I start trying cathedral runs? I'm already two pieces down on the negative and none on the cathedral.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Well, that's the second time Mom's killed me at the end of an otherwise-fine Computer Savvy challenge. I swear, that build obliterates so much and yet Mom largely shrugs it off if you didn't manage to find any Damage-Ups along the way.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Fun fact: the I AM ERROR room on the chest brings you back to the same level, but with respawned items. Fun fact: secret rooms can sometimes have batteries. Fun Fact: Undefined can teleport you to either.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I lost a really good ??? run in a terribly embarrassing way. I had a completely broken combo right from the first two floors; midas touch and gnawed leaf. All I needed to do was let any enemy run into me and boom free gold. Greed got the best of me, and I kept trying to midas every single enemy too early and lost all my health. I was loaded with gold but the shops didn't carry any soul hearts so I died a stupid death with a broken items. :rip:

I had a really good ??? run with Gnawed Leaf and an auto attack follower as well that I lost because I never got any health and by the Cathedral I couldn't sit still long enough for the effect to kick in without something hitting me. I was attritioned to death before reaching Isaac. :sigh:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Oh what's that? They fixed The Lost + Dead Cat exploit? Glad I made a 1.01 backup before the patch :getin:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Does beating Mega-Satan actually get you anything?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ariong posted:

Does beating Mega-Satan actually get you anything?

Ending 16, don't think you get any items for it. It might count as a secret? Dunno.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You get a cool picture on your save file.

e: The "it's in the cards" challenge went pretty smoothly. I got an early brimstone and steamrolled over everything. I even got a chaos card and an emperor card near the end, so I skipped the entire final level.

e2: vvvvv Tap the "drop item" button. On PC it's left control.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 16, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any way to drop cards/cycle through them when you have the card deck item?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any way to drop cards/cycle through them when you have the card deck item?

Left Ctrl if you're on keyboard/mouse. Otherwise, I dunno.

Tapping it swaps which card/pill is first up, holding it (2-3 seconds, long hold) drops both trinkets and use items.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is it just me or is The Bloat's side brimstone-shot way less obnoxious than in the original? It seems higher up on the model and way easier to continue getting shots in without taking return damage.

Also Suicide King is playing with me, I finally got a full reroll room and I end up with Technology .5 and a Lil Brimstone, but couldn't use either effectively because I got Dr. Fetus too. That run ended with me getting bopped by 2 straight rooms of the red meat boy things.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mega-Satan's third form got me, I haven't had a good fakeout like that in a video game in a while.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A D4 roll got me Dr. Fetus+Mom's Eye+Number 1.

It was hilarious for the short while I was alive.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

Secret rooms are almost always useless and there's not much else to use them on, though. Unless the game hides the one key on the floor behind some rocks or there's a blue rock I see no point in holding onto a bomb.

Gonna have to disagree. Money gets you a lot in this game. Arcades and beggars = more health = more chance to safely take devil deals. Not to mention, shop items which can often times be quite good.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

SuicideSnowman posted:

Gonna have to disagree. Money gets you a lot in this game. Arcades and beggars = more health = more chance to safely take devil deals. Not to mention, shop items which can often times be quite good.

Also, Magic Fingers is ridiculous with any sort of cash reserve. Just murdered Isaac and ??? with it alone without having to use my Doubleshot Ipecac shots.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Probably the best item in the game (the stopwatch) comes from the shop.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
magic fingers scales off your tears damage so it's pretty unimpressive if you don't have any damage upgrades and very devastating if you do.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SuicideSnowman posted:

The ones with the mushrooms are also good for getting pills if you're feeling daring (or have PhD).

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The stop watch, the treasure map, the compass, and the humbling bundle are all ridiculously good items. Plus you get the occasional soul heart or battery to recharge your D6. The shop is really drat good in Rebirth compared to the original game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

VDay posted:

The stop watch, the treasure map, the compass, and the humbling bundle are all ridiculously good items. Plus you get the occasional soul heart or battery to recharge your D6. The shop is really drat good in Rebirth compared to the original game.

The only problem with the shop is that because there are so many more shop items now, some of the more useful ones have become more rare. In the original game it was a pretty safe bet you'd see either a Treasure Map or a Compass in a shop at some point. Now they're harder to come by, which in turn makes The Womb and beyond a lot more taxing than they were before.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

AHungryRobot posted:

magic fingers scales off your tears damage so it's pretty unimpressive if you don't have any damage upgrades and very devastating if you do.

Well that explains why it was doing so much damage then. Thank you Ipecac!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ludovico totally guts your damage in Suicide King, don't be an idiot and think "this'll be sick, it'll be worth doing the boss rush for it" like I did.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ahahaha! I've got Pyromania, I'll just sit here in the middle and let Mom stomp me helplessly!

Wait, no, I didn't want to grab the Polaroid, I wanted the negative! Noooooooooo... :negative:

Seriously, twice in a row I've accidentally grabbed the Polaroid the moment the Mom fight ended when I wanted the Negative. I mean, at least I still have Isaac/??? unlocks to get, but I wanted to clear the other unlocks.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

SuicideSnowman posted:

The slot machines also get you a chance for a Pretty Fly if you can't get orbitals any other way. Those are pretty important for every boss from It Lives onward.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Are there any item unlocks tied to hard mode actually?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

IIRC there are unlocks tied to killing Mom's Heart in Hard Mode.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think all the Hard Mom's Heart unlocks are co-op babies rather than items. The Lost has a Hard unlock though.

Oxxidation posted:

Beat Suicide King on my first try. No big deal, smirk smirk smug smug.

Ok but seriously, I got three Guppy items and Dark Bum and still barely scraped through. Isaac is really not a good boss to fight with that loadout.
Really? Isaac is pretty much stationary so it's very easy to get to score direct IPECAC hits on him.

Internet Kraken posted:

His stomp doesn't seem to care about how fast you are because its basically instant. You just have to be far enough away from him that he can't use it, otherwise you're always at risk of getting hit.

So of course there are rooms filled with multiple mega fatties later on and not enough space between them to avoid the slams.
I generally dodge it if I start moving as soon as he does his tell (which is sliding towards you slightly). Maybe he leads it a bit?

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

You unlock familiars for co-op mode

E: too slow

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Really? Isaac is pretty much stationary so it's very easy to get to score direct IPECAC hits on him.

i really wouldn't have wanted to fight satan with that loadout, so isaac is highly preferable

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Isaac is a pretty easy fight when you've got non-standard tears (ipecac, brimstone, etc) and Satan is gonna be kinda sucky no matter what you have. I almost always go Satan unless I've got non-standard tears because Isaac's automatic retaliation on every hit drags the fight out a fair bit.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Man I've blown up every single slot machine I've seen in every run I've done for a fairly long time and I still haven't unlocked the D4, it's really getting on my nerves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Man, Chocolate Milk+Cricket's Body+Quad shot+Mulligan=Tears loving everywhere and tons of flies. Used that to beat the boss rush with Isaac(with a curse of darkness too). My finger is sore now though.

EDIT:

Power of Pecota posted:

Is it just me or is The Bloat's side brimstone-shot way less obnoxious than in the original? It seems higher up on the model and way easier to continue getting shots in without taking return damage.

Yeah that's my goto strategy for the Bloat too. His down laser is still really fast and annoying though.