Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
There should be an item called the d2 that just gives you a coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

There should be an item called the d2 that just gives you a coin.

finally something to rival the poop in mundane uselessness.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I got an item from a 6 room that resurrected me when I died as the blue baby. Any idea what the item was? Nothing I've ever seen before.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

PantsBandit posted:

So I got an item from a 6 room that resurrected me when I died as the blue baby. Any idea what the item was? Nothing I've ever seen before.

Ankh

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What the poo poo, donating to the store machine when it's at 999 coins makes it reset back to 0. gently caress you, game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

PantsBandit posted:

Must've been either the Ankh or Guppy's Collar if you didn't turn into a different character.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AnonSpore posted:

What the poo poo, donating to the store machine when it's at 999 coins makes it reset back to 0. gently caress you, game.

What did you think was going to happen and why are you upset about it?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you don't do it you can use the donation machine as a bomb -> cash converter pretty much forevermore I guess.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

CJacobs posted:

What did you think was going to happen and why are you upset about it?

I bumped it accidentally on a run to wind down from doing Lost attempts, I assumed it would just not accept any more money or at best take my money but not do anything, and I am upset because now I have to fill it with more poo poo to fund my futile Lost attempts and hopes of finding a stopwatch on floor 2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is true, I suppose. I haven't ever bombed a donation machine so I didn't think of that. There aren't any rewards after 999 though for obvious reasons so the giant coin explosion when it rolls back over to 0 is more Edmund going "good job you did it, there's nothing more you can get out of this it's done".

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Rocketlex posted:

The only problem with the shop is that because there are so many more shop items now, some of the more useful ones have become more rare. In the original game it was a pretty safe bet you'd see either a Treasure Map or a Compass in a shop at some point. Now they're harder to come by, which in turn makes The Womb and beyond a lot more taxing than they were before.

My experience with the first game was more often "it was a pretty safe bet you'd run into greed, super greed, and then the game would spit out garbage like the notched axe and ladder the rest of the way."

That reminds me, I like that the notched axe sucks less in this game. Once every 3 rooms you can pull it out and break every rock in a given room. Still not really worth 15 coins, but it has potential to be helpful. I think 3 rooms is still too much charge time, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's an infinite money device with the lucky rock and you just might run into those hidden loot ladders.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Huh it's useful now? The one time I picked it up in Rebirth so far it somehow instantly killed me so I've been avoiding it completely.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The Axe is pretty decent if you have flight because it lets you destroy rocks in the early levels without making you do it in the womb, where they often hurt you, and lets you retain the ability to hide from melee mobs by flying over rocks. Something like Leo actually hurts if you also have flying because you're suddenly smashing everything and your flight advantage goes away unless the room has some pits on the edges.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Do items you roll into using dice rooms/D4/D100 count towards your collection?

Also I finally finished out The Purist and therefore all the challenges. Pretty hilarious that I was planning on using a Chaos card I got somewhere in the Basement to take out Isaac and then an Emperor card in the room before It Lives made me decide to use it on that instead and use the Emperor card to get to Isaac. Imagine my surprise after that trophy dropped and all my nerves went out the window. :v:

Pretty much just have Dark Boy, Meat Boy and getting all the items and co-op babies at this point then I'll get to just play the game for fun.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So Dr Fetus is garbage tier now. How can it just be so incredibly bad?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Testekill posted:

It scales to your damage stat now. It starts getting decent at around 4 or 5.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Is it just me, or does picking up Experimental Treatment do more harm than good?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

Is it just me, or does picking up Experimental Treatment do more harm than good?

Yeah, I think so too. Especially if you have a high damage run going.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It might help you if you have a ton of excess range and shot speed items and bad damage/tears. Not worth it past the basement if your run is already decent.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Libra is that way for me. I have never picked up Libra and thought "that was a good idea" when I saw the results.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Zeron posted:

Huh it's useful now? The one time I picked it up in Rebirth so far it somehow instantly killed me so I've been avoiding it completely.

I'd advise not walking over rocks with bombs in them.

Testekill posted:

It really is, it's sad. I've avoided it on 2 runs now because I had low damage and since it scales with your damage it can be just terrible.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yes! I'm winning the boss rush! I'm on Death! I'm almost ther-*red poop*

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Alkydere posted:

Yes! I'm winning the boss rush! I'm on Death! I'm almost ther-*red poop*

Red poop being able to hurt you even if you have flying is secretly the worst part of the game.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm not sure what just happened, but a dice room gave me some unholy combination of loki's horns, proptosis, soy milk, ipecac and pyromania. It's a shame I was playing as ??? at the time because the sheer volume of explosions at pointblank range caused me to get hurled around the map at light speed eventually killing me through my inability to not take damage.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

VDay posted:

Red poop being able to hurt you even if you have flying is secretly the worst part of the game.

How did you know I was flying? :v:

Seriously though, there's a reason I don't even attempt the Boss Rush unless I have flying, and the fact that red poop STILL burns you is infuriating. I understand Sacrifice Room spikes hitting you while you're flying, the point is to hit them, but being unable to fly over red poop, on a floor covered in red bloodstains, is aggravating. I was so happy to get a really good Isaac run with full Guppy before Mom too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What I do is either nuke the spot that Carrion Queen spawns right after beating the last wave, or lure it into charging and then poop bombs as I run away because it doesn't let out red poops while it's charging or moving diagonally, just when it's slithering around not focused on you. Sometimes it STILL manages to poo poo one or two out before I get it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They're just really, really big tall piles of poop. It makes perfect sense.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

I'd advise not walking over rocks with bombs in them.

I meant that I somehow got gibbed the instant I picked it up. It probably wasn't actually the axe but it made me wary.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

VDay posted:

huh that is pretty loving dumb now that i think about it

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain
Sometimes you just don't want a run to end, such as this hilarious Judas run that melted anything I pointed at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG1T2Ds8SsM

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Welp, finally got Abaddon and the Scythes unlocked so I'm pretty much shredding all runs now. At this point I'm just waiting to luck into 2 Angel Rooms on each character.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I actually had a bug where carrion queen in the boss rush became invincible. I got hit with Midas touch and it turned to gold and i destroyed the last segment. This didnt kill the boss though.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
So many stupid changes in this edition - that's the second run I've had ruined by randomly getting cursed eye - what made anyone think that that was a fun idea? There shouldn't be any items that make you go "welp, I guess I'll just start again then". And no, I'm not good enough to avoid taking damage altogether.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

IntelligibleChoir posted:

So many stupid changes in this addition - that's the second run I've had ruined by randomly getting cursed eye - what made anyone think that that was a fun idea? There shouldn't be any items that make you go "welp, I guess I'll just start again then". And no, I'm not good enough to avoid taking damage altogether.

It only has a chance to teleport you if it hits while you are charging the shot.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Andrast posted:

It only has a chance to teleport you if it hits while you are charging the shot.

I know. This does not balance it. You are always charging shots because there's no other way to fire. I've tried to let go before taking hits but if you have the reactions to let go before you get hit you have the reactions to just not get hit. It's idiotic.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Cursed eye is poo poo but there have always been items that are useless or that you wouldn't want to pick up given a particular setup (or cause cause they're active items and you already have a better one, etc) half of getting 'good at boi' is knowing the items and working for the best possible synergies you can pull off so... just don't pick it up next time?

I mean, I also had runs ruined due to an unfortunate pick up, like Loki's horns when I already have IPECAC, but I mean, the game is fun so having to restart a run is not such an unimaginably tedius ordeal.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Does Cursed Eye + Monstro's Lung let you burst fire your tear shotgun?

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Cursed eye is poo poo but there have always been items that are useless or that you wouldn't want to pick up given a particular setup (or cause cause they're active items and you already have a better one, etc) half of getting 'good at boi' is knowing the items and working for the best possible synergies you can pull off so... just don't pick it up next time?

I mean, I also had runs ruined due to an unfortunate pick up, like Loki's horns when I already have IPECAC, but I mean, the game is fun so having to restart a run is not such an unimaginably tedius ordeal.

No, as I said, I got it through random chance each time and then had to quit and restart the next time I got to a tough boss - I can't think of a single situation where it would be beneficial.

Yeah it's just happened to me in maybe 2 out of the last 8 runs and it is actually pretty tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
I've noticed a fun bug during the 'It's in the cards' challenge.

I picked up the pill baggie in the store ( Didn't realize what the hell it was at the time ) and it turns the Deck of Cards into a pill generator instead.

Although I think the CD is still longer than the regular pill bottle, so I may have hosed myself. :stare: