Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Kids like it because it's sweet, also what kid doesn't like marshmallows? As an adult, I can't stand all that sugar but you can't not eat grandma's sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving. Leave it to us Americans to ruin a perfectly good food by dumping butter and sugar all over it.

Sweet potatoes are great by themselves. I like to steam them until they're tender and just go to town :dance:

My Nana used to make it like that, but she really started focusing on her health so she cut the amount of sugar drastically. I forget what all she puts in hers now (I haven't had it in close to a decade) but it was actually really good. She even stopped topping it with marshmallows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I've made sweet potatoes like that. You don't need a ton of sugar, but a lot of butter is recommended. If you cut out most of the sugar, the caramelized marshmallows and the sweet potatoes make the dish plenty sweet but not overpowering.

Of course, anything is less sweet than the loving sweet tea. Yeah, that syrupy mouthfeel is really what I enjoy on a hot day.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

empty sea posted:

Of course, anything is less sweet than the loving sweet tea. Yeah, that syrupy mouthfeel is really what I enjoy on a hot day.

My family really enjoys sweet tea for some reason, and whenever I have a sip I pretty much have to run to the sink and spit it out. It tastes like liquid diabetes.

Of course my drinks of choice are water, beer, and ales, so what do I know.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Lightly sweetend iced tea is amazing and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. I really do hope that one day Americans realize that they don't need a ton of sugar in everything.

When I worked at McDonald's they were just releasing their sweet tea. It was a pound of sugar per gallon it was disgustingly sweet.

Edit: never noticed the typos. Stupid phone.

Draven has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Nov 16, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Smelly posted:

Lightly sweetend iced tea is amazing and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. I really do hope they one day Americans realize that et don't need a ton or sugar in eveWhen I worked at McDonald's they were just releasing their sweet tea. It was a pound of sugar per gallon it was disgustingly sweet.

I recently had to explain to my sister that her mango smoothie from Dunkin Donuts was not any better than soda because it had 3/4 of a cup of sugar in the 24oz cup. Maybe I just don't like sweet stuff that much, but that is God drat disgusting. Seriously, that's about as much sugar as I eat over the course of 2 days in 1 drink. How do people even palate that poo poo?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maybe it's the region I live in but I only know one American that has the stereotypical American diet and people ridicule him on a daily basis. Most everyone in my area is pretty reasonable looking and without overt and offensive habits.

For reference, I live in the Pacific Northwest and he adds raw sugar to his soda if it is available.

That being said, cutting a butternut squash in half, liberally applying butter and a modest amount of brown sugar is proof that God is real.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

That being said, cutting a butternut squash in half, liberally applying butter and a modest amount of brown sugar is proof that God is real.
And baking/broiling it. Don't forget that part, or you'll be questioning God's existence all over again, on top of the liberal use of His name in vain while you're cutting the drat thing open.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

Who What Now posted:

Recently my wife's extended family has starting making some sort of vile concoction for every conceivable family event. It starts out as Hawaiian Punch (or some sort of other red fruit punch drink) mixed with Sprite or 7Up. That's not so bad, a bit overly sweet but my extended family has done the same thing for years, the carbonation makes the punch a bit better too. But then they add in whole scoops of rainbow sherbet and set it out to melt until it becomes this disgusting pile of foamy poo poo floating on the top. :barf:

A good friend of mine insisted that I would love eggnog if I would add Sprite/7up to it like her whole family does. Because nothing says 'delicious' like mixing an already super sweet and overly rich beverage like eggnog with more sugar and carbonation.

:btroll:

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Hirayuki posted:

And baking/broiling it.

Lifehack - don't forget to cook your food!

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

The in-laws' version of "ambrosia salad" is comprised of canned fruit cocktail, cool whip, and miniature marshmallows.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Door Frame posted:

I recently had to explain to my sister that her mango smoothie from Dunkin Donuts was not any better than soda because it had 3/4 of a cup of sugar in the 24oz cup. Maybe I just don't like sweet stuff that much, but that is God drat disgusting. Seriously, that's about as much sugar as I eat over the course of 2 days in 1 drink. How do people even palate that poo poo?

I remember when Mens Health went on the search for the least healthy thing from a mainstream fast food place. It was some sort of milkshake from Baskin Robbins. They don't make it any more but is had somewhere in the area of 2400 calories. The thing they replaced it with is 1600, which is still staggering.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Smelly posted:

Lightly sweetend iced tea is amazing and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. I really do hope they one day Americans realize that et don't need a ton or sugar in everything.

When I worked at McDonald's they were just releasing their sweet tea. It was a pound of sugar per gallon it was disgustingly sweet.

Yeah. It's just made in a giant bucket like you would find white paint in. They brew it, dump seven pounds of sugar in, and mix it. Hopefully it gets used before all the sugar settles at the bottom and becomes like a three inch crust.

At least they use real sugar though. Speedway sweet tea is something like a pint of HFCS that's sticky to the touch. Every single container in the box is sticky every time.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It's a common American dish served at Thanksgiving. You peel them, quarter them, then plop them into a casserole dish with a shitton of brown sugar, white sugar, and butter. A shitton. If someone asks "hey can I have sugar for my coffee" and your answer isn't "sorry, I'm out," you're doing it wrong. Throw that into the oven and when they're nice and tender, you throw some marshmallows onto the thing you've created and weep softly, taking care to keep your tears out of the dish.

That's not... no.

You mash them like you would regular potatoes, adding nothing except maybe some butter, layer the mashed potatoes into a glass pan, layer the marshmallows on top in a layer like one marshmallow thick, and roast them so they're just slightly toasty and melted. I'm not sure what sugar abortions you guys are eating, but the way we make it it's basically just mashed potatoes with some toasted marshmallows on top.

And then you have to pick off the toasted marshmallows at the end of dinner because they get soggy and gross in the fridge, so for leftovers it's literally just mashed sweet potatoes which you can put cinnamon and butter on. Then again, when we've brought friends/SOs over for dinner, that poo poo doesn't even make it to the leftovers.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Get a plug in power drill, industrial size elephant Q tips, and never wipe again.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Pecans are an excellent addition to marshmallow-topped mashed sweet potatoes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Len posted:

Yeah. It's just made in a giant bucket like you would find white paint in. They brew it, dump seven pounds of sugar in, and mix it. Hopefully it gets used before all the sugar settles at the bottom and becomes like a three inch crust.

At least they use real sugar though. Speedway sweet tea is something like a pint of HFCS that's sticky to the touch. Every single container in the box is sticky every time.

I like some things about visiting my family in Florida, but having the waitress shake her head at me like I'm a lost soul when I order my Iced tea without sugar is not one of them. Also the fact that like 50% of the time when you order it without sugar you still get sweet tea, just without even MORE sugar added to it (barfbarfbarf).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nutsngum posted:

Why are people so drat obsessed by carbohydrates? Use loving portion control instead of changing your entire eating style because of what someone on the internet told you to do.

Theres a reason why people who actually exercise dont really worry that much about their drat carb intake.

It's a life hack! Either a very low fat or a very low carb diet will automatically cut out the vast majority of junk food. At least at first. Eventually you'll torture your taste buds until either the "sugar free" or "fat free" commercial junk food doesn't taste like chemical sawdust to you anymore. Because if you are the sort of person who can't stop themselves from eating a whole bag of cookies, you'll eventually eat a whole bag of fat free cookies or a whole bag of sugar free cookies, and those have plenty of calories despite having little of the demonized macronutrient.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Kitsch! posted:

A good friend of mine insisted that I would love eggnog if I would add Sprite/7up to it like her whole family does. Because nothing says 'delicious' like mixing an already super sweet and overly rich beverage like eggnog with more sugar and carbonation.

:btroll:

Why the gently caress would anybody ever think to mix eggnog and Sprite? That sounds like something you get a friend to drink on a dare for $5 when you're 8. How could that possibly be anything but revolting? I'm getting sick and a even a little irrationally angry just thinking about it.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Sex Hobbit posted:

I'm not sure what sugar abortions you guys are eating, but the way we make it it's basically just mashed potatoes with some toasted marshmallows on top.

I hope you realise that to anyone not from America the idea of putting marshmallows on sweet potatoes is batshit crazy.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
People outside America also think mixing peanut butter with poo poo is weird too so who cares.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Shelf Adventure posted:

I hope you realise that to anyone not from America the idea of putting marshmallows on sweet potatoes is batshit crazy.

A percentage of those people think rotten fish soaked in lye is an ok thing to eat so I'm fine with agreeing to disagree.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Turns out America is a bastion of amazing food and Europe is that whiney kid at camp who needs vegan everything and won't talk bitching about it.

gently caress it. Let's eat a handful of beetles and go on a panty raid.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Sex Hobbit posted:

A percentage of those people think rotten fish soaked in lye is an ok thing to eat so I'm fine with agreeing to disagree.

Another, not insignificant percentage believes serving fried batter scraps is acceptable.

edit: the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... :911:

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Nov 16, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Greatbacon posted:

People outside America also think mixing peanut butter with poo poo is weird too so who cares.
What people? And what are you mixing it with?

Inzombiac posted:

Turns out America is a bastion of amazing food and Europe is that whiney kid at camp who needs vegan everything and won't talk bitching about it.
Haha, not wanting to add a whole lot of sugar to literally everything = picky eater. Adding marshmallows = amazing food!

And yes, if someone is vegan, that generally does mean all the time. "What, still vegan? I thought that was just for lunch, but you don't want meat or butter for dinner either? Unbelievable!"

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Haha, not wanting to add a whole lot of sugar to literally everything = picky eater. Adding marshmallows = amazing food!
Pretty much every American here has said that poo poo is gross though, particularly the "drowning everything in sugar" part :psyduck:

#Lifehack: Bored with your bland food? Add sugar and marshmallows!

Related: my parents bought giant oreos (just the cookies) to make s'mores with for dessert. There were a couple downstairs and I picked it up and pretty much got sick immediately. It had marshmallow and caramel, and they were huge and squishy and I just really don't think it'd make a good end to a meal that consisted of delicious grilled seafood and salad.

#Foodhacks: Grill scallops, they're harder to gently caress up that way. (Whenever someone else has cooked scallops, they've never done it right for me. Always rubber. Except this time.)

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

Tiggum posted:

What people? And what are you mixing it with?

And yes, if someone is vegan, that generally does mean all the time. "What, still vegan? I thought that was just for lunch, but you don't want meat or butter for dinner either? Unbelievable!"

Edit: pro-choice hack. Tired of caring for your infant? Feed your baby a vegan diet and pretty soon you won't have to worry about feeding him anything anymore

Fool and the World has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Nov 16, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fool and the World posted:

Edit: pro-choice hack. Tired of caring for your infant? Feed your baby a vegan diet and pretty soon you won't have to worry about feeding him anything anymore

Oh, I'm not suggesting that a vegan diet is a good idea, just responding to Inzombiac apparently not understanding the concept of dietary restrictions.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I like food that some of you don't like. Judge me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Che Delilas posted:

I like food that some of you don't like. Judge me.

You are dumb and/or smart for liking and/or not liking food that is gross and/or delicious.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shelf Adventure posted:

Greatbacon posted:

The foods themselves are weird to most people outside of North America, much less adding anything else to them/them to anything else.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Geoj posted:

The foods themselves are weird to most people outside of North America, much less adding anything else to them/them to anything else.

Koreans eat sweet potatoes all the loving time, on loving everything, including pizza. It's vile.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Adding some sweet potato in with regular potato is a good way to make mashed potatoes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Geoj posted:

What, you don't like legumes roasted, mashed, and spread on things? Weird.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Peanut butter and sweet potatoes are both common in the UK, they're not really exclusive to North America. It's just the insistence on mixing them both with stuff packed full of sugar that's unique to America as far as I can tell. Jam does not go with peanuts.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's actually delicious.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Peanut butter and sweet potatoes are both common in the UK, they're not really exclusive to North America. It's just the insistence on mixing them both with stuff packed full of sugar that's unique to America as far as I can tell. Jam does not go with peanuts.

I just don't like jam in general unless it's homemade or made without added sugars v:shobon:v

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
When I was stationed in N. Yorkshire, the restaurant on base that subbed for having a chow hall used to serve this mashed stuff all the time that they called Swede. I thought it was a combo of mashed potatoes and carrots and it was pretty tasty. Years later I found out it was just rutabagas. I still like it though. v :) v

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Geoj posted:

...No?

People eat sweet potatoes all the time all over the world. They make cakes using them in Japan.

Peanut butter is a pretty American food, but it's not odd of rare outside of the US.

It's just a kind of weird conversation saying "wtf guys, you don't have to make your mashed potatoes a sugary mess, just add marshmallows you weirdos!"

It's like saying "man, what are you doing with your cheeseburgers? You don't have to add a whole bar of chocolate. Just a light spreading of Nutella is fine."

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record
Doesn't even bread in the US have loads of HFCS in and stuff? Here's a good lifehack: don't be a fat disgusting consumerist imperialist american pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Arrest that rear end! posted:

Doesn't even bread in the US have loads of HFCS in and stuff? Here's a good lifehack: don't be a fat disgusting consumerist imperialist american pig.

Yeop. All of the major brands (Wonder, Sunbeam, etc.) do, and most of the off/store brands do, too. Sara Lee makes three or four varieties of a line called "45 Calories & Delightful" that doesn't have HFCS in it, and it's getting easier to find it these days, thank goodness.