Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Velvia really does make for beautiful skies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pukestain Pal posted:

Velvia really does make for beautiful skies.

Yeah Velvia is really outstanding for that blue. I took some shots on my digital camera too just in case...and it looks so dull in comparison.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

New freezer, room for expansion

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
oh, we're posting freezers?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
stop reminding me of how broke I am.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Goddamn Portra is ridiculous. The sun was just out of frame in the top left, kept all the shadow detail and didn't blow the highlights. Of course I exposed it just right but still ;)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

deaders posted:

Goddamn Portra is ridiculous. The sun was just out of frame in the top left, kept all the shadow detail and didn't blow the highlights. Of course I exposed it just right but still ;)

Don't forget to credit your lens/coatings. Flare (and resulting contrast loss) can seriously deteriorate an image regardless of what film you use.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yeah this 75mm Bronica lens is pretty good but the flare gets a bit ugly if you actually have the sun in the frame. I was using a lens hood as well.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
It is happening again.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Nice VCR. Ignore that thing on top of it and ship it to me. I'll dispose of it for you.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

nm posted:

Nice VCR. Ignore that thing on top of it and ship it to me. I'll dispose of it for you.

nice try i'm already using it, with the only slide present in this entire warehouse (it arrived today and i've taken all the other ones home)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Finally got the Pentax SV back from the Hendrickson guy. Threw a roll through it while I was in Vegas. Pretty happy!

The Riviera by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 16, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

It is happening again.

Are you going to sell it? I need it the most just FYI. :v:

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I was super stoked about doing a masters at a college with free use of a darkroom and darkroom supplies, shame I have no free time outside of my masters to use it.. or take photos.. or see the outside the postgraduate lab.

So here's a photo I took several weeks ago and only got around to scanning now;

Is there any way to prevent Flickr from going nuts with sharpening? On my computer it looks ok but it looks a bit overdone on Flickr.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I don't think it looks overly sharp at all. If anything its soft rendering flirts with a pictorial quality that reminds me of someone like Karl Struss. I like it, dude.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

try it with a lime posted:

I don't think it looks overly sharp at all. If anything its soft rendering flirts with a pictorial quality that reminds me of someone like Karl Struss. I like it, dude.

Doesn't mean that there aren't sharpening artifacts, which is what he was asking. I think it does have some, but it's not too noticeable unless you're deliberately pixel peeping.

And yeah, nice shot.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

crap nerd posted:

I was super stoked about doing a masters at a college with free use of a darkroom and darkroom supplies, shame I have no free time outside of my masters to use it.. or take photos.. or see the outside the postgraduate lab.

So here's a photo I took several weeks ago and only got around to scanning now;

Is there any way to prevent Flickr from going nuts with sharpening? On my computer it looks ok but it looks a bit overdone on Flickr.

Nothing you can do about it except linking the original size. It's not too bad there, but sometimes it is reeeaaallly bad.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
How do you people scan E-6 film? I had a lab develop a roll of Velvia 50 my dad shot around 5 years ago.
It has a magenta cast to it and the colors are meh. I'm wondering if time factors in that. Is that normal for slide film?

edit : VVV thanks that's what I feared. I'm having one hell of a time getting corrected scans in VueScan with the lock film base color option, I'll just mess around with them in lightroom.

Grimarest fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 17, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

If it's that old it's probably magenta from heat damage, correct it by bringing the red a bit down in curves.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
For stains like this, any chance re-washing in Photo-Flo will clear it off (maybe fix?). I'd need to buy some PhotoFlo first, got rid of all of my developing supplies when I moved. Guessing not, but fortunately it seems to be confined to this largely boring roll (this is my fav shot off it).

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

For stains like this, any chance re-washing in Photo-Flo will clear it off (maybe fix?). I'd need to buy some PhotoFlo first, got rid of all of my developing supplies when I moved. Guessing not, but fortunately it seems to be confined to this largely boring roll (this is my fav shot off it).

I'm not sure if I'm totally off base here but I think your film could also have been under-fixed.
The stains are darker than the rest, whereas with residue they should be lighter (like the specks of dust) as I think we're talking about a negative here.

The good news is that soaking it in fixer, and then re-washing it will solve the problem without any issues.
The bad news is that you need to buy film developer stuff again.

Wait, that's no bad news!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

from my first roll of HP5. I'm not mad.

Key Bridge by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

The Road by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 18, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

this slide scanner owns

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
More night stuff from me, this time with proper reciprocity exposure compensation. It's getting dark here around dinner time now, and my only free time is in the evening.

I also tried my hand at push processing for the first time. I played it safe and pushed Ilford Delta 400 to 800, and I could have gone a lot further because there's barely any noticeable increase of grain or contrast.

I also discovered an amazing tip to keep your film dead straight for scanning. After letting it hang and dry for a couple hours, roll it back into the developing reel but against the natural curl. Leave it there overnight. In the morning when you pull it out again, it'll be completely flat both vertically and horizontally. Previously I had been letting it dry with a weight and then pressing it flat between some books for a day, but there was still a very slight curl left, and especially across the width.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 18, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

these own & please tell me how you meter.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

these own & please tell me how you meter.

Thanks! I don't do anything fancy with metering, I just use center-weighted mode and point it at something that looks about in the middle between the brightest and darkest areas of the scene. I also adjust the whites and blacks in lightroom after, so these have been tinkered with a bit.

I've been meaning to experiment with different metering methods, for example spot metering the darkest point where I still want to see detail, and then underexposing it by 2 stops. Maybe on my next roll.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

Thanks! I don't do anything fancy with metering, I just use center-weighted mode and point it at something that looks about in the middle between the brightest and darkest areas of the scene.

maybe my problem is I don't have any of those in my scenes :v:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
It hasn't been foolproof for me. There were a few shots on this roll that still came out too dark

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
In a fit of not-procrastination this weekend, I took my old fixative to the once-a-month household hazardous waste disposal. This was a truck with a bunch of metal barrels and a table set up in the back parking lot of the hockey arena. We were the only "customers" there so I chatted with the entry-guy for a bit. Mostly they get old cleaning products, bleach and ammonium and whatnot, and their primary concern is that they don't mix anything that really shouldn't get mixed. He talked about explosions.

They seemed rather puzzled by the 3L of old fix I dropped off. He didn't seem to know what colloidal silver is or where it falls on their "avoid mixing or things go boom" system, and when I mentioned silver nitrate - that's one of the silver compounds involved, isn't it? - he focused on the nitrate part because, I guess, lots of other nitrate compounds are particularly good oxidizers.

What *is* the hazardous part of fix? I thought I had it sorted out in my mind with colloidal silver and the toxic effects of metals floating around in blood / tissue, but now I'm not sure and I'd like to be able to say something more definite the next time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

What *is* the hazardous part of fix? I thought I had it sorted out in my mind with colloidal silver and the toxic effects of metals floating around in blood / tissue, but now I'm not sure and I'd like to be able to say something more definite the next time.

Silver is a heavy metal, like lead is. You don't want silver in the water table for the same reasons you don't want lead in the water table. After some very quick research I might be talking out my rear end. Silver is not actually a heavy metal, but some people claim it can be hazardous and shouldn't be released into nature.

Other than that, fixer is just some uncommon salts, although they might not be too healthy either.
I have heard a story about someone using sea water to fix their film, it just took 24 hours or something like that. (The waste from that would also be hazardous, since it would contain the silver residue.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 18, 2014

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

???? by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I saw a guy do a cyanotype on red paper this morning, looked loving rad.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Spedman posted:

I saw a guy do a cyanotype on red paper this morning, looked loving rad.

Yeah, I can get behind that. Was it a contact print?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

atomicthumbs posted:

maybe my problem is I don't have any of those in my scenes :v:

Do you have a spotmeter? I've found that really helps along with the zone system in the dark. If using color, you have to adapt for your film's dynamic range which will be lower unless you're using portra because portra is magic. I use more sky or reflection metering if there's some light for color, but for dark sky, zone is best for all.
Also, you may need to bracket a bit.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 19, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

voodoorootbeer posted:

Yeah, I can get behind that. Was it a contact print?

I'm really not sure, but here's the link to the facebook post I saw the image on: https://www.facebook.com/groups/68142897748/permalink/10152504614007749/

It's really got me thinking about a new project idea.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

nm posted:

Do you have a spotmeter? I've found that really helps along with the zone system in the dark. If using color, you have to adapt for your film's dynamic range which will be lower unless you're using portra because portra is magic. I use more sky or reflection metering if there's some light for color, but for dark sky, zone is best for all.
Also, you may need to bracket a bit.

Somehow I've managed to make passable landscapes with nothing but an incident meter, or a fixed moonlight exposure, or my OM-4Ti's spot/reflective meter if I'm shooting 35mm. I guess it's time to get a spotmeter (or see if my DSLR works well as one).

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

!

getting closer by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Possible Portra 400 (120/220 format) PSA

Recently I'm getting rolls back from various labs (three so far) that have either deformed (looks like it was pinched by rollers) emulsion or scratched emulsion. The deformation is visible to the naked eye and happened with two labs and two entirely different cameras. The scratches are incredibly fine and only visible when scanned at 3200dpi+.

Now normally I'd just blame the lab and move on, but these rolls all have one thing in common. They're out of the newest Portra 400 pro packs which also have other anomalies:
  • The backing paper is misprinted, it has white borders along the top and bottom of the roll, in some casesjust the top or bottom
  • The orange band holding together the unexposed roll is a visibly different colour then before and also different from the backing paper
  • The developed film appears curlier (across not alongside) than before
  • The developed film has what I assume is a batch serial imprinted on its edge. If you look closely you can see it was added post production. It has different density than the edge markings.

All the pro packs this film came from have a 10/2016 or later expiry date. FWIW I bought an older pack, went back with the same cameras and labs and had no more problems. Stocking up on the older packs now.

Here's to hoping it's just a batch issue, and not the bean counters finally starting to squeeze out more profits of a shrinking market.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Have you written to Kodak to ask about it? It'll be interesting to see if their answer is "Crap, that's not supposed to happen," or "Sounds like your problem to us."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Yond Cassius posted:

Have you written to Kodak to ask about it? It'll be interesting to see if their answer is "Crap, that's not supposed to happen," or "Sounds like your problem to us."

Good idea, just wrote them.