Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Isn't Old Fashioned a slang term for a hand job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm still a little sad that King of the Hill didn't last long enough to do an episode about it. I can just see it now: Hank and Peggy meet a nice couple at church and become friends. Then they get invited over for bible study after the husband misunderstands Hank's enthusiasm for "discipline" (he of course means the protestant work ethic necessary to repair his riding lawnmower), and right at the first act break they walk into the living room, see the couple decked out in Christian bondage gear and cut to commercial right as Hank lets out the first "bwaugh!"

This made me laugh out loud because I could totally visualize the entire thing, right up to Hank's quivering lip at the end.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

raditts posted:

This made me laugh out loud because I could totally visualize the entire thing, right up to Hank's quivering lip at the end.

Someone really needs to make something like Modern Seinfeld for King Of The Hill. I still want Hank reacting to Bobby and Bill's fandom with My Little Pony.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It is here

Old Fashioned,the christian movie that is being released on valentines day as a response to 50 Shades of Gray

Now comes the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFO-RmMv6T8

My real question about this is could they have cut the trailer to male the lead not look like a huge jackass, which is the same problem. With Kirk Cameron's movie.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Young Freud posted:

Someone really needs to make something like Modern Seinfeld for King Of The Hill. I still want Hank reacting to Bobby and Bill's fandom with My Little Pony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVzzUM4zVg

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Domestic Discipline (DD) marriage is one in which one partner is given authority over the other, and has the means to back up that authority, usually by spanking. The application and practise of DD in each marriage is as unique as the individuals who make up that marriage. There is no "One Ring of Power" in the Domestic Discipline world, to which all DD couples must bow; no singular path to "true DD enlightenment". What works well for one DD couple may not be a good fit for another marriage. Therefore, you may see many different suggestions espoused on this site and elsewhere.

The gender-neutral language in this description is priceless, as if any male participant in this scheme would let a woman hold power over him.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does anyone remember The Buttercream Gang? Midwestern kid goes to Chicago, comes back The Fonz, has conflict with his preteen old gang. I vaguely remember a shootout at a drug store? The Fonz goes back to Chicago a reformed man, starts a new gang there. They even made a sequel that completely ripped off The Goonies.

Edit: This was pretty light on the Jesus stuff. I haven't seen it in nearly twenty years, so I think it just came from a wholesome Christian production company.

Double Edit: Just rewatched the robbery scene. It's funnier than I remembered. He just can't comprehend good wholesome town values.

That was one of the most amazing collections of scenes I've ever seen. It was like the best combination of MST3k movie from 1962, low budget gay romance and Kids in the Hall sketch. I feel more than a little tempted to get a group of friends and watch the whole thing.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah I still want to be Guy Blod. Evil flamboyant homosexuals are awesome and should be in movies more.

You're about 40 years too late - now it's all about the evil seductive [male] bisexuals.

Also, this whole thread is making me wonder - are there any really terrible Jewish or Muslim films? Is making crap movies exclusively Christian or can all Abrahamic religions do it? What about non-abrahamic religions? (I suppose the fact that religions like Judaism and Buddhism aren't quite so focussed on conversion and "spreading the good news" means they don't have quite the same impetus to make films specifically about the benefits of evangelising or whatever else.)

McSpanky posted:

The gender-neutral language in this description is priceless, as if any male participant in this scheme would let a woman hold power over him.
haha, I'm sure many of them would - but secretly, and wouldn't tell anyone else in the CDD movement about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Young Freud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3q4RZz-PfI

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

It is here

Old Fashioned,the christian movie that is being released on valentines day as a response to 50 Shades of Gray

Now comes the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFO-RmMv6T8

"A boy"...I'm curious how that guy thought that haircut and that wardrobe would offset his aging face enough to play a character that is clearly way younger than he is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Isn't Old Fashioned a slang term for a hand job?
Yes, and that's what makes it so great that they went for that title

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
So Brad Jones (an Internet Critic who reviews terrible schlock films mostly from the 70s and 80s as "the Cinema Snob" and also does vlog reviews (out of character) for new releases) went to see Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas and his reaction is that it is one of the most :wtf: movies of the year.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mr.Radar posted:

So Brad Jones (an Internet Critic who reviews terrible schlock films mostly from the 70s and 80s as "the Cinema Snob" and also does vlog reviews (out of character) for new releases) went to see Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas and his reaction is that it is one of the most :wtf: movies of the year.
His review of God's Not Dead was also good
http://www.thecinemasnob.com/midnight-screenings/previous/6

Having recently watched it I have to say the best word to describe it is banal. That movie actually managed to piss me off because of the fact that I know there are several dumb idiots/hicks who think that this something that really happens. I mean I'm Catholic so I don't have that whole "hate science and colleges" thing going on with my denomination (of course not saying that Catholicism is perfect mind you), but seriously watching that movie made my blood boil at everything about this movie, not even the whole Kevin Sorbo plot, no what really was loving terrible was the Muslim girl who converts secretly subplot and then gets throttled and disowned by her evil father because Muslims are evil moon worshipers.

What sucks even more is trying to explain to people I know how bad this movie is and not getting shutdown with the "well you got respect people's opinions and maybe you should be looking for a job instead of watching lovely movies"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mr.Radar posted:

Oh my god I have to see this. I want to pay money to go see this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Star Man posted:

Oh my god I have to see this. I want to pay money to go see this.

Gotta say I wasn't totally sold until I heard the words "Kirk Cameron doing the Worm".

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
I went and saw Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas with a couple of friends yesterday morning, and it was worth every penny (of a matinee price, at least). The movie actually has a certain charm in its completely unselfconscious amateurishness. It opens with a long and confusing monologue from Cameron, in which he is sitting in a cozy chair in front of a fireplace and taking long pauses to sip hot cocoa. If you didn't know anything about Kirk Cameron, you would think it was a parody of Christmas specials. There are so many things done wrong. The "cinematographer" is way too in love with shallow focus to the point where there were a few times when nothing was in focus. Whoever did the editing really likes slow motion and long sequences of people looking at each other (so much looking!). The acting alternates between attempts to be "real" and dramatic and over the top, embarrassingly unfunny "comedic" monologues. It literally feels like Kirk Cameron just gathered together some people from his church to make this movie, which again, is kind of charming.

One of the best parts is his explanation of why Santa Claus is a true Christian. Apparently, part of the St. Nicholas story is that he once slapped a heretic during the Counsel of Nicea. Kirk Cameron essentially tells us that the real story would be too boring, so he reimagines it to be more exciting. In this version, St. Nicholas hears that this heretic is in town spreading heresy at the local tavern. St. Nicholas treks through the snow to the tavern, sits down next to the guy, quotes the bible at him, and then proceeds, wholly unprovoked, to beat the poo poo out him with his staff. This proves that he was a true defender of the faith.

Don't forget to stick around for the "bloopers" during the credits, which are literally the most mundane mistakes imaginable. Oh, and there is an improvised rap after the credits that will make you embarrassed for everyone involved.

Malaleb fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 29, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

God drat that sounds amazing. Particularly the 'Kirk Cameron fireside chat'.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The more I hear about that movie, the more I want to see it.
But I don't want to spend money on it, so maybe it if shows up on Netflix one day.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
On Thursday there were a few ads for Ridley Scott's Exodus. It's also on the latest X-Men DVD, so I guess it's important. I think it's obvious that the film won't put any kind of emphasis on Jewish OR Christian theologies, but it's interesting to see more Biblical epics in AD 2014/15.

Speaking of AD, that (mini?)series is by the same folks behind The Bible, but I don't have high hopes for it. It appears to take place immediately after the resurrection, of which time there's little/nothing written.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

AGirlWonder posted:

On Thursday there were a few ads for Ridley Scott's Exodus. It's also on the latest X-Men DVD, so I guess it's important. I think it's obvious that the film won't put any kind of emphasis on Jewish OR Christian theologies, but it's interesting to see more Biblical epics in AD 2014/15.

I'd be interested in this but it just looks like a remake of The Ten Commandments, rather than a more straight telling of the Exodus story. Will they have Moses find out in adulthood that he's really a Hebrew?

I saw Noah a few nights ago, and enjoyed the first half, but thought it fell apart in the second when they started creating drama by having Tubal-Cain stow away in the ark and Noah threatening to kill Shem's babies if they're girls, and Ham's Quest for a Wife. I know it wasn't a "bible" movie and more of an epic myth movie, and there's not a whole lot of detail about the pre-flood times in Genesis, but the movie was over two hours long, could have cut that stuff and had a fine story. I liked the stuff about the Watchers and the nastiness of the antediluvian world. I'm still waiting for a good film that actually stays true to the bible story it's based on. Not that I'm a purist, I just feel the bible stories are so weird and interesting it would be better.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Croisquessein posted:

I'd be interested in this but it just looks like a remake of The Ten Commandments, rather than a more straight telling of the Exodus story. Will they have Moses find out in adulthood that he's really a Hebrew?

This is precisely my problem with every adaptation of Exodus.

Like, what if Moses and pharaoh were BROTHERS! Yeah, okay, seen it before, like, four times at least.

quote:

I saw Noah a few nights ago, and enjoyed the first half, but thought it fell apart in the second when they started creating drama by having Tubal-Cain stow away in the ark and Noah threatening to kill Shem's babies if they're girls, and Ham's Quest for a Wife. I know it wasn't a "bible" movie and more of an epic myth movie, and there's not a whole lot of detail about the pre-flood times in Genesis, but the movie was over two hours long, could have cut that stuff and had a fine story. I liked the stuff about the Watchers and the nastiness of the antediluvian world. I'm still waiting for a good film that actually stays true to the bible story it's based on. Not that I'm a purist, I just feel the bible stories are so weird and interesting it would be better.

Cutting out all that climax stuff basically cuts out Noah’s entire arc as a character, though. Before that, he’s still basically generic fantasy movie kill guy. It’s when he becomes so zealous in his belief that humanity is fundamentally impure and must come to extinction that he ironically becomes like Tubal-Cain.

Basically, the ending of Noah which is more true to the Bible is really depressing: Noah and his family survive the flood, God says, “Well, go ahead and start reaping the bounty of the Earth because I have appointed you dominion over creation,” and Noah curses one of his sons and his ancestors to be slaves for eternity. You could do it, but contrasting Aronofsky’s film to the original myth, the former is a really explicit rejection of the latter. The film even goes as far as to make Tubal-Cain and his people prehistoric industrialists with vast mining operations to make the analogy that our contemporary ecological practices are rooted in a false conception of God.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

K. Waste posted:

This is precisely my problem with every adaptation of Exodus.

Like, what if Moses and pharaoh were BROTHERS! Yeah, okay, seen it before, like, four times at least.

Cutting out all that climax stuff basically cuts out Noah’s entire arc as a character, though. Before that, he’s still basically generic fantasy movie kill guy. It’s when he becomes so zealous in his belief that humanity is fundamentally impure and must come to extinction that he ironically becomes like Tubal-Cain.

Basically, the ending of Noah which is more true to the Bible is really depressing: Noah and his family survive the flood, God says, “Well, go ahead and start reaping the bounty of the Earth because I have appointed you dominion over creation,” and Noah curses one of his sons and his ancestors to be slaves for eternity. You could do it, but contrasting Aronofsky’s film to the original myth, the former is a really explicit rejection of the latter. The film even goes as far as to make Tubal-Cain and his people prehistoric industrialists with vast mining operations to make the analogy that our contemporary ecological practices are rooted in a false conception of God.

I guess I agree, but I just found myself annoyed with how it got drawn out. I did enjoy the whole Noah going mad thing, but when Tubal-Cain chopped his way though the side of the Ark with a hatchet, I just rolled my eyes. I wonder if it leaked the whole time? It makes sense characterwise but I just wasn't engaged like I had been the first hour.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

AGirlWonder posted:

Speaking of AD, that (mini?)series is by the same folks behind The Bible, but I don't have high hopes for it. It appears to take place immediately after the resurrection, of which time there's little/nothing written.

Good lord, please don't tell me they're going to spin a Son of God 2 out of this footage.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

raditts posted:

The more I hear about that movie, the more I want to see it.
But I don't want to spend money on it, so maybe it if shows up on Netflix one day.

Next time get in touch with your local church to see if they offer a field trip to the movies where they pay for the tickets because of some discount or whatever. My church in the area has been doing this for all kinds of religious movies this year like Son of God, God's Not Dead and Heaven is for Real.

Hell, they're probably doing Exodus this Friday as well.

I'm still waiting for that next religious epic blockbuster like Passion of the Christ that forces theaters to open earlier where concessions will sell orange juice, coffee and donuts (yes, this actually happened). Maybe that only happened because of the name Christ in the title.

Please, filmmakers, start including Jesus and/or Christ in the title of your religious movies so I can get coffee and donuts at the movies. Here are some examples of how easy it is to improve your box office take.
-Son of God Who is Jesus
-Christ Tales: Noah
-God's Not Dead, Jesus is Fine
-Heaven Is For Real And So Was Jesus
-Exodus: Gods and Kings and Jesus Makes Three

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FrostedButts posted:

Good lord, please don't tell me they're going to spin a Son of God 2 out of this footage.

It's like the Clone Wars, it's vague enough that you can mine all the EU fiction you want out of it.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

raditts posted:

It's like the Clone Wars, it's vague enough that you can mine all the EU fiction you want out of it.

Perhaps I miswrote.

I'm referring to the fact that Son of God is literally a collection of clips and unused footage from Jesus parts of The Bible miniseries. It was edited together for a 2+ hour movie and pushed into theaters.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FrostedButts posted:

Perhaps I miswrote.

I'm referring to the fact that Son of God is literally a collection of clips and unused footage from Jesus parts of The Bible miniseries. It was edited together for a 2+ hour movie and pushed into theaters.

I know, I was just making a tangential joke.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

raditts posted:

Reminds me of a collegehumor sketch about religious nerds.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Infamous Sphere posted:

Also, this whole thread is making me wonder - are there any really terrible Jewish or Muslim films?

I'm living in Amman right now and while I'm not actually exposed to a huge amount of Middle Eastern cinema (because I don't speak Arabic and they obviously don't put English subtitles on TV when the programming is in Arabic), but yes there are plenty of movies with overt Muslim overtones.

But it's not quite the same as Christian movies in the US: religious movies in the West deliberately stand against a lot of modern culture - they're moralizing and conservative in opposition to what they see as an immoral (or amoral), liberal Hollywood. Overtly religious movies in the Middle East, meanwhile, often aren't that different from ostensibly non-religious movies, since they're all generally pretty conservative anyway. So they don't necessarily make a big deal out of the religious message, it's just built into what the audience expects the story to be.

I should say that these sorts of movies aren't actually that popular here, and there aren't many produced overall. Soap operas are big and you could argue they preach relatively conservative values, but they're also probably more scandalous with (unseen) sex and drugs than most American Christian movies. In terms of movies, though, theaters here are completely dominated by Hollywood movies. You don't see many European movies which are probably too sexual for people here.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Clearly, we're picking a fight with Fifty Shades. We're not only picking a fight, we're picking a fight with the schoolground bully, likely to get our nose busted in two. … Love and romance are created by God and designed to lead to marriage and physical intimacy. … I find it impossible to not believe that, deep down, we don't want to celebrate something more than Fifty Shades."

That triple negative is giving me brain cancer

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

SciFiDownBeat posted:

That triple negative is giving me brain cancer

It's also contradictory/the opposite of what he clearly meant. He believes people want things that are more wholesome than 50 Shades of Grey. He finds it impossible to believe that we don't want to celebrates something more than it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It's also contradictory/the opposite of what he clearly meant. He believes people want things that are more wholesome than 50 Shades of Grey. He finds it impossible to believe that we don't want to celebrates something more than it.

I couldn't parse it so I had no idea what he was trying to say :saddowns:

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Every month, my church's youth group does a movie night. Last night's pick was Mom's Night Out. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. The moral actually criticizes some aspects of church culture (regarding judgement of others and ourselves). It's predictable and some of the jokes are lame. It's a little awkward due to its need to conform to conservative values. There's a scene where the protagonist eats a bag of chocolate and acts drunk. Just give her a bottle. The only thing that made me truly uncomfortable was how they managed to still make the women come off worse than the men. The premise of the film is that overworked moms need a rest and yikes, the dads don't understand kids. But by the end of the movie, we see the dads parenting and ENJOYING it, with a nonparent actually being a great "dad", where the moms are judgmental harpies who have to get talked down by sensible men. It's very off-putting.

It's a good one to turn your brain off with, though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43lybhrHtY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Is this about the dangers of woods porn?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Boggie Creek for a new age.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

God's Not Dead is on Netflix

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

God's Not Dead is on Netflix

Perfect timing for the director's latest Crash-style Christ-spoitation film now in theaters, Do You Believe?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

FrostedButts posted:

Perfect timing for the director's latest Crash-style Christ-spoitation film now in theaters, Do You Believe?

I can feel something inside me say I really don't think I'm strong enough

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FrostedButts posted:

I love the Doctor who is upset because people say that God healed his patient and it was not him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I really i ironically loved Sorbos performance. He's such a delightfully endearingly smarmy rear end in a top hat and in the end God proves himself to be every bit the creepy rear end in a top hat he hated him for being.

Though I just say my current favorite Xian flick is a rapture picture from 1981 called Years of the Beast which has a pretty cool Red Dawn flavor of focussing on a small group of post-rapture survivors and is also basically the source most ripped off for the Left Behind stories as far as I can tell from my amateur interest in the history of Xian media with a focus in rapture fiction

• Locked thread