Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

vegetables posted:

Wait, wasn't it established loads of times that without the Time Lock all those UNIMAGINABLE HORRORS would be unleashed on space and time? I don't know why I'm bothering asking this given how lax the show's internal logic always is.

The way I see it, the Time Lock Ten was raving about with the horrors of the Time War was when Gallifrey was still around, during the middle/end of the War. Meanwhile, this Gallifrey is one post War, where those creatures died off, naturally or otherwise. Since the Cracks appeared througjout time, we can assume Gallifrey's safe and sound and has been for billions of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

vegetables posted:

Wait, wasn't it established loads of times that without the Time Lock all those UNIMAGINABLE HORRORS would be unleashed on space and time? I don't know why I'm bothering asking this given how lax the show's internal logic always is.

Actually all the Time-Lock did, as far as I could tell, was ensure that things happened in a (relatively) linear progression. Basically stopping the Daleks and Time Lords from going back and re-loving-up an already finished battle of the Time War.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Jerusalem posted:

Well this was a fun listen and was competently put together but I had to laugh at the big cliffhanger being,"HOLY poo poo IT'S THE RANI! :derp:" considering how the story was advertised. It works for the characters involved, of course, but not so much for the listener.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed in that, since it's the only reason I did an advance listening when I can't actually finish the story. Got very little from the Rani herself, just that she'd regenerated...which we all knew anyway. Counter Measures Season 3, however, is pretty good so far (the audio I went on to after finishing that episode).

I was half joking about selling plasma to join in the Secret Santa, but goddamn if that isn't a hell of a way to make $25/hour for sitting and listening to Big Finish. Yes, I actually did it.

PriorMarcus posted:

I mean the only reason Clara didn't tell him or he ignored her pleading and looked in the TARDIS flight record.

There is no Tardis flight recorder, it was a lie made up by The Doctor Johann Schmidt, I mean . But the argument is still stupid, I just can't resist an opportunity to out myself as a nerd.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually all the Time-Lock did, as far as I could tell, was ensure that things happened in a (relatively) linear progression. Basically stopping the Daleks and Time Lords from going back and re-loving-up an already finished battle of the Time War.
Yeah, what I always imagined was that both the Time Lords and Daleks had some device that blocks time travel. After they win a battle they use it to make sure it isn't undone, so before long the whole war ends up locked down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Little_wh0re posted:

I've never watched 'the next doctor' for some reason. Is it actually worth watching?

It's a lot of fun and also quite stupid, and it's better off for it. It's one of the better RTD Christmas Specials, though that isn't to say it doesn't have some truly awful moments.

Edit: Re: The Time War, I'm quite sure the Time Lock still remains on the events of the Time War. It's just that beforehand we all thought (including the Doctor) that Gallifrey was destroyed at the end of the Time War, and now we know it was saved. So the Time Lock is still there, but there is now a before and an after that can be gone to. The Doctor just hasn't figured out how to get to the "after" part yet.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 16, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I figured that Gallifrey was "removed" from the Time War right at its last moment in "The Day of the Doctor" and hidden in a kind of pocket dimension where they were able to safely rebuild their society, so the Time War was still locked, but that particular version of Gallifrey wasn't in it any more. Obviously that may not square with subsequent episodes and statements from writers, but I was never entirely clear on the whole "time lock" business in the first place.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

I figured that Gallifrey was "removed" from the Time War right at its last moment in "The Day of the Doctor" and hidden in a kind of pocket dimension where they were able to safely rebuild their society, so the Time War was still locked, but that particular version of Gallifrey wasn't in it any more.

I'm fairly certain that is EXACTLY what is supposed to have happened, and I don't think anything we've seen in the show so far has contradicted that in any way. Yeah the TARDIS popped back to early in the Doctor's childhood on Gallifrey but that was well before the Time War ever happened and clearly a special case (all the safeties turned off etc).

What Moffat means by whatever he said in that article about the Time Lock being gone I don't know, but to date all we've seen in the show is that for the first seven seasons the Doctor thought Gallifrey was destroyed and the events of the Time War (including Gallifrey itself) locked away forever in a Time Lock, and in Day of the Doctor he managed to save Gallifrey at the last possible second by shunting it into a pocket dimension. The Time Lock would then still be active on the events of the Time War itself, but there is now a post-war Gallifrey tucked safely away somewhere else for the Doctor to eventually find.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If The Doctor knew they had gone to Gallifrey in his childhood he would probably have a hearts attack due to the restrictions on messing with personal timelines and especially on messing with Gallifreys timeline.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Metal Loaf posted:

I figured that Gallifrey was "removed" from the Time War right at its last moment in "The Day of the Doctor" and hidden in a kind of pocket dimension where they were able to safely rebuild their society, so the Time War was still locked, but that particular version of Gallifrey wasn't in it any more. Obviously that may not square with subsequent episodes and statements from writers, but I was never entirely clear on the whole "time lock" business in the first place.

Now I see Gallifrey popping back into our dimension...and to the Doctor's horror, it's Warworld and the Time Lords are ready to finish things...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Now I see Gallifrey popping back into our dimension...and to the Doctor's horror, it's Warworld and the Time Lords are ready to finish things...

This is pretty much the big hitch in any "Gallifrey Returns" storyline. What keeps the Time War from kicking off all over again? Especially now that the Daleks have rebuilt their empire.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I wouldn't mind them staying away from another giant Dalek-Time Lord War for a while. It seems like it would be too soon coming off of Day of the Doctor. You could maybe have both groups deciding to hold off on hostilities for a while so as to not destroy all of time and space. Or hell, have them decide to form an alliance against some bigger threat. The Time Lords are probably big enough assholes to ally with the Daleks for a small gain.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rochallor posted:

I wouldn't mind them staying away from another giant Dalek-Time Lord War for a while. It seems like it would be too soon coming off of Day of the Doctor. You could maybe have both groups deciding to hold off on hostilities for a while so as to not destroy all of time and space. Or hell, have them decide to form an alliance against some bigger threat. The Time Lords are probably big enough assholes to ally with the Daleks for a small gain.

Being light on it would certainly be good, but I think it's possible to do a gradual leadup to it. Gallifrey's been knackered by the war and is still recovering, they can't afford to just burst back on the scene. But at the same time, they can't just go back to life as usual, because the Daleks are still looking for them; they need to play it safe and carefully, and amass some form of force so that when they're pulled back into the fray--either because of the Daleks tracking them down or the Doctor pulling them back in--they have some way to defend themselves.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

The episodes establishing that are nearly five years old now. I don't see why the stories being told NOW necessarily need to slavishly line up with them.

If we go by Terrance Dicks' old rule, no story should expect the audience to remember another story that happened more than three years previously, but anything from within the last year can be reintroduced without explanation. Really not that bad a rule for winning arguments, honestly. We might remember the story, sure, but the writers sure don't care that we do.

And once you start solely aiming for the "Aha! Just like in that that one time when David Tennant said that one thing!" demographic, you're on the way decline. See: Nathan-Turner, John; Levine, Ian

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

This is pretty much the big hitch in any "Gallifrey Returns" storyline. What keeps the Time War from kicking off all over again? Especially now that the Daleks have rebuilt their empire.

My guess is that this new Dalek Empire is somehow "lesser" than the previous one, as a result of basically being brand "new" Daleks who had to rebuild from scratch from their "inferior" predecessor's single remaining battered saucer. That plus having their personal memories of the Doctor forcibly suppressed by all that nonsense in Asylum of the Daleks (the stupidity of which was somewhat addressed in Into the Dalek). While Davros' new Daleks were capable of wiping out whole realities, the new Dalek Empire was in a position where they had to (temporarily) play ball with the Church of the Papal Mainframe.

So given the events of the end of The End of Time and Day of the Doctor, I'd say it's likely the Time Lords now are more determined than ever to go back to being mostly unknown/unseen and embracing their old doctrine of non-interference. The Daleks aren't on the same level anymore and any future stories are unlikely to bring the two back into conflict, leaving the Daleks as either an individual threat in an intimate situation, or a galactic threat against other human/alien alliances.

Basically I think they've mined the Time War for all the content they can (especially considering the unfilmability of the height of the war) and they've moved on from that.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 16, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Basically I think they've mined the Time War for all the content they can (especially considering the unfilmability of the height of the war) and they've moved on from that.

Yeah, I think so too. The show's been back for 8 seasons and ten years, really.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If a show can only sustain itself for 10 years without having a war with the Daleks then how does anything that isn't Dr. Who survive that long. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they rely too much on the pepper pots to be a draw in themselves without giving them good episodes to shine in.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We need to have more episodes where the Daleks are actively helping people, AS Daleks.

One of my favorite audios I've listened to was the one with the 8th Doctor finding that stranded colony being aided by the Daleks. Their dialogue was so AMAZING for just how unnatural it was.

Basically treat them like an actual alien species again, like you did before Davros came along, and less like living plot devices of death and chaos.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thicker Than Water isn't a particularly good story. The plot is uninspired, the identity of the major villain is so obvious that you'd almost think it was a red herring, and the resolution leaves a lot of issues... well, unresolved. Mel is seemingly only present to be rather unpleasantly physically assaulted, and the Doctor spends the bulk of the story uninvolved with everything else going on as he uncovers what is happening behind the scenes. It acts as a sequel to Arrangements for War but feels oddly detached from the events of that story. With all that said, it's also a tremendous story in that it acts (as far as I can tell) as a swansong for the character of Evelyn Smythe, who has been an excellent audio-only companion. Much like Arrangements, it's the emotional strength of the story that makes it stand out over the rather pedestrian plot.

The Doctor is being particularly brusque with Mel who is getting rather agitated with his behavior, but to her surprise when he makes an off-hand comment about Evelyn and she makes an equally off-hand comment about how it would be nice to meet her, he excitedly takes her up on the offer and takes them straight to Világ. There, in events shown in flashback later in the story, we discover that Evelyn has "retired" from her adventures with the Doctor and settled on that planet and married Rossiter, whom she formed a romantic attachment with in Arrangements for War. It isn't an idyllic retirement though, Evelyn sits on a committee exploring the scientific potential of the leftover equipment of the alien race that formerly tried to conquer Világ - the Killorans - and finds herself growing increasingly agitated by opposition to this field of research, headed up by her own Step-Daughter, Sofia.

At a memorial ceremony to the fallen, the Doctor barely has time to reconnect with Evelyn when she and Mel are kidnapped in an attack. While he and Rossiter try to track down the person responsible for the kidnapping, Sofia follows her own suspicions and discovers one of her associates is guilty. Accompanied by Evelyn's insistent security officer (Jenner), she tracks him down to his hideaway where she attempts to talk him down, seemingly succeeding only for the Security Forces to burst in and open fire on him. Rushing him to the hospital, Sofia's mentor performs emergency surgery to try and keep him alive, while unknown to everyone the Doctor and Rossiter are locked in the hidden tunnels beneath the hospital being chased by mindlessly aggressive former coma patients.

Amidst all this chaos, two major narrative threads stick out. The first is Sofia and Evelyn's antagonistic relationship and the second is Evelyn's disappointment/regret in the way the Doctor disappeared from her life after her "retirement". These are the parts of the story that really shine, and while the latter is resolved in a very touching way the former is unfortunately poorly handled, not only resolving unsatisfactorily but sweeping under the rug entirely the legitimate concerns around the dangers of experimenting with completely alien technology. Almost all of those on the opposition side of the equation are reduced either to one-dimensional sneering mustache twirlers or have their deeply held ideals/legitimate concerns swept away as they suddenly just shift over to the "right" side. The reason for this is probably due to the (justifiable) emphasis on Evelyn's story, but Sofia gets so much "screen" time that the way her story just kind of screeches to a halt and she immediately goes over to the "good" side is really disappointing.

Events and characterization mostly happens to match whatever the plot requires at the time. This leads to some annoying quirks like characters just standing around quietly while another rants at them about an issue that really isn't as cut and dry as the story tries to make it out to be. Mel suffers the most in this regard, not just in regards to being a shouting dummy for other characters but physically as well. One character just flat out KOs her with a punch in one scene and later on when Mel dares to question his moral integrity another character just tears her a new one, with Mel unironically going,"Gosh I feel bad for slighting the fully-grown man who decked the five foot tall lady after kidnapping the senior citizen with heart problems". At another point, Mel rather reasonably suggests another character as just a possibility as the mastermind behind all this, gets slapped in the face and then just stands there as she is ranted at condescendingly about how wonderful this person is. Mel then APOLOGIZES to the person who slapped her! Still later while investigating she straight up catches the mastermind openly being evil and yet completely falls for their pathetic justifications and allows herself to be walked into an isolated location with only that person, at which point she is thrown down an open shaft! Now I know that people weren't entirely fond of Bonnie Langford during her run on the show, but drat!

The mastermind of the story is so incredibly obvious that it feels like it MUST be a red herring. I fully expected the bad guy to end up being Sofia because everything else was pointing so clearly to one particular character that I thought it MUST be deliberately misleading. But nope, the person is just flat out the baddie and does nothing at all to suggest otherwise, they're so oily and smooth and condescending that I'm surprised people (not just cops, regular people!) weren't trying to arrest them on the spot. Yet they keep on outsmarting all the other characters, and even when finally openly revealed they still get to dictate the terms of how the encounter goes, sitting around and controlling the conversation while everybody else (including the Doctor) just sits and gapes and lets them babble away.

The Doctor is sidelined for most of the story. He's not irrelevant, but detached from everybody else other than Rossiter till he's reunited with Mel late in the game. On the one hand it's neat to see him and the other characters getting different pieces of the puzzle, giving the viewer the whole picture while they'll need to reunite and share to learn as much. But on the other, it means the Doctor simply isn't present for much of the action, and Mel and Sofia don't really make for adequate replacements while Evelyn - due to the story being told - is also sidelined. Bonnie Langford managed to pull off being the central character in Unregenerate!, but - like in The Juggernauts - here the material she has to work with just isn't enough.

It's not a bad story, it's just that it feels like they could have done so much more with the material, in particular the theme about the philosophical argument over the exploration of dangerous alien technology. But all that is window-dressing to the true meat of the story, which is where this really shines: the relationship between the 6th Doctor and Evelyn. A lot of things come to a close here (for good or not I don't know) and they do it in a really touching way. The Doctor finally learns about Evelyn's heart condition; Evelyn gets an extremely touching message in an unexpected and utterly charming cameo; and the two part after finally saying a proper goodbye. It's a sweet farewell to the character, a good parting between her and the Doctor, and for once a companion gets a,"Oh hey Doctor I met this one dude and I've decided to live with him now" storyline that feels natural and right, for perhaps the first time since Susan and David back in The Dalek Invasion of Earth.

Thicker Than Water is a fairly bland story with weak characters, some unsettling physical abuse, a poor resolution to the central conflict supposedly permeating the story, and isn't much of a sequel to Arrangements for War. But is a great goodbye to Evelyn Smythe, a chance to hear Maggie Stables and Colin Baker finish up the relationship they started all the way back in The Marian Conspiracy in the earliest days of Big Finish, and left me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. I gotta recommend it for that alone, it's all about Maggie Stables and that is never a bad thing.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 16, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hrmph, one of my favourite sci-fi authors apparently wrote a Doctor Who book. Alistair Reynolds, Harvest of Time. I'm tempted to actually pick up a TV show licenced book. How is it?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Burkion posted:

We need to have more episodes where the Daleks are actively helping people, AS Daleks.

One of my favorite audios I've listened to was the one with the 8th Doctor finding that stranded colony being aided by the Daleks. Their dialogue was so AMAZING for just how unnatural it was.

Basically treat them like an actual alien species again, like you did before Davros came along, and less like living plot devices of death and chaos.

That's what I hoped they were doing in Victory Of The Daleks. Imagine how weirder it would have been if the Daleks had genuinely turned out to be on Earth to make sure the Allies won over Nazi Gwrmany, due to them knowing it makes humanity easier to defeat in some future war front they also have going on.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The post-Genesis version is how they are in the public consciousness, changing it now would be regarded as a betrayal by almost everyone.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
drat it! My DVR didn't tape last night's episode. What happened?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

CobiWann posted:

Oh man it was the best revival episode you wouldn't believe

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CobiWann posted:

I don't want to give away too much . . . there was singing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Angela Christine posted:

I don't want to give away too much . . . there was singing.

John Barrowman was on?!?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

CobiWann posted:

Bernard got sucked into the siren call of the world of the geegees, and Fran and Manny had to bail him out before he lost his legs. I don't recall any singing, but a 'Big Bill' was referenced.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Spoilers Below posted:

If we go by Terrance Dicks' old rule, no story should expect the audience to remember another story that happened more than three years previously, but anything from within the last year can be reintroduced without explanation. Really not that bad a rule for winning arguments, honestly. We might remember the story, sure, but the writers sure don't care that we do.

And once you start solely aiming for the "Aha! Just like in that that one time when David Tennant said that one thing!" demographic, you're on the way decline. See: Nathan-Turner, John; Levine, Ian

While I absolutely agree that this would make for more satisfying storytelling in some respects, the environment in which people watch television, and the culture that's grown up around it, is vastly different than it was in ol' Terrance's day. That story that aired five years ago is readily available to people in ways that it wouldn't have been in the '70s and '80s, and may well have "happened" two weeks (or two days or two hours) ago for a significant portion of your audience. Entertainment, for better or worse, isn't disposable any more.

Disappearing down a rabbit-hole of continuity makes for bad storytelling more often than not, and Doctor Who in particular should be free of continuity woes. But "eh, no one's going to remember that anyway" is just patently untrue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

docbeard posted:

While I absolutely agree that this would make for more satisfying storytelling in some respects, the environment in which people watch television, and the culture that's grown up around it, is vastly different than it was in ol' Terrance's day. That story that aired five years ago is readily available to people in ways that it wouldn't have been in the '70s and '80s, and may well have "happened" two weeks (or two days or two hours) ago for a significant portion of your audience. Entertainment, for better or worse, isn't disposable any more.

Disappearing down a rabbit-hole of continuity makes for bad storytelling more often than not, and Doctor Who in particular should be free of continuity woes. But "eh, no one's going to remember that anyway" is just patently untrue.

On the other hand, it works for Supernatural (ribbing about random continuity aside).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

John Barrowman was on?!?

It was a wonderful musical episode that put Buffy's to shame. Capaldi's tongue-twisting Gilbert-and-Sullivan-esque number was the high point, just a shame that the episode opened with it.

Though the Dalek Choir is something I don't think anyone will soon forget.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 16, 2014

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was a wonderful musical episode that put Buffy's to shame. Capaldi's tongue-twisting Gilbert-and-Sullivan-esque number was the high point, just a shame that the episode opened with it.

Though the Dalek Choir is something I don't think anyone will soon forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AomFG7QAvvY?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Considering I just saw this for the first time in the Oxx thread, what a perfect opportunity to post it here too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aq_N0bllCM

Now I gotta wait for when I renew my Hulu subscription to watch this series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

docbeard posted:

As I've said before, I think the different demands and expectations of ongoing television drama as compared with the 1970s is most obvious in the compaions, and specifically how they're written out of the series when their actors leave. Three or four decades ago, a companion could say goodbye and walk out of the TARDIS (or even die) and the Doctor would find someone new to accompany them next week. That's no longer good enough, and I think it's exacerbated by the introduction of Doctor/Companion romance subplots that came in with Rose (and continued with, for example, Donna being "the Doctor's best mate", and taken to new extremes with Amy as "the Girl Who Waited" and essentially wished the Doctor back into existence in "The Big Bang", and Clara as "the Impossible Girl" who saved the Doctor from the Great Intelligence throughout time and space).

I think the issue is that if this person means so much to the Doctor, they can't very well leave without much fanfare, and they can't leave open the question, "If this companion was so important, why does the Doctor never go back to see them again?" So, Rose is trapped in Pete's world (though she later gets a David Tennant RealDoll to keep her company), Donna has the memories of all the adventures she shared with the Doctor wiped with the proviso that if she ever sees him again her brain will incinerate itself, and Amy and Rory get stuck in a kind of paradox minefield that'll destroy time if the Doctor tries to save them.

Martha (and, I suppose, Jack) is the exception to this trend so far in the revival, but her character arc ties into the idea and represents an exploration of another idea the classic series never really examined, namely the impact of previous companions on their successors; the Doctor is still attached to Rose when Martha comes aboard (again, not something Classic Who did very often, if ever), she realises that she's in somebody else's shadow, and decides to leave on her own terms.

As others have often remarked, Amy and Rory had a perfectly good send-off (I believe it was in the epilogue of "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe") where they simply "outgrew" the Doctor and moved on with their lives. I think that demonstrated that the older style of "the companion says goodbye and leaves" exist can conceivably work; if nothing else, it is at least a happy ending. I hope that Jenna Coleman's seemingly impending departure from the series after this year's Christmas special will bear this out, and Clara will just "retire" as an active companion who gets a reasonably happy ending without Moffat trying to be clever about it.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

As I've said before, I think the different demands and expectations of ongoing television drama as compared with the 1970s is most obvious in the compaions, and specifically how they're written out of the series when their actors leave. Three or four decades ago, a companion could say goodbye and walk out of the TARDIS (or even die) and the Doctor would find someone new to accompany them next week. That's no longer good enough, and I think it's exacerbated by the introduction of Doctor/Companion romance subplots that came in with Rose (and continued with, for example, Donna being "the Doctor's best mate", and taken to new extremes with Amy as "the Girl Who Waited" and essentially wished the Doctor back into existence in "The Big Bang", and Clara as "the Impossible Girl" who saved the Doctor from the Great Intelligence throughout time and space).

I think the issue is that if this person means so much to the Doctor, they can't very well leave without much fanfare, and they can't leave open the question, "If this companion was so important, why does the Doctor never go back to see them again?" So, Rose is trapped in Pete's world (though she later gets a David Tennant RealDoll to keep her company), Donna has the memories of all the adventures she shared with the Doctor wiped with the proviso that if she ever sees him again her brain will incinerate itself, and Amy and Rory get stuck in a kind of paradox minefield that'll destroy time if the Doctor tries to save them.

Martha (and, I suppose, Jack) is the exception to this trend so far in the revival, but her character arc ties into the idea and represents an exploration of another idea the classic series never really examined, namely the impact of previous companions on their successors; the Doctor is still attached to Rose when Martha comes aboard (again, not something Classic Who did very often, if ever), she realises that she's in somebody else's shadow, and decides to leave on her own terms.

As others have often remarked, Amy and Rory had a perfectly good send-off (I believe it was in the epilogue of "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe") where they simply "outgrew" the Doctor and moved on with their lives. I think that demonstrated that the older style of "the companion says goodbye and leaves" exist can conceivably work; if nothing else, it is at least a happy ending. I hope that Jenna Coleman's seemingly impending departure from the series after this year's Christmas special will bear this out, and Clara will just "retire" as an active companion who gets a reasonably happy ending without Moffat trying to be clever about it.

On the other hand, former companions were brought back a few times in the classic serials as well. The Brig came back for Mawdryn Undead and Battlefield (and the only reason he was in Mawdryn Undead was because they wanted to bring back Ian Chesterton but William Russell was unavailable), practically everyone was brought back for The Five Doctors, all of Davison's former companions reappear at the end of Caves of Androzani, etc. Hell, Harry Sullivan even came back. So that's all not without precedent as far as the show goes. It just seems especially egregious at the moment because RTD tried to disappear up his own rear end during Journey's End and we just had a multi-Doctor story featuring a past companion. Amy and Rory were never really gone after series six, the intention was to bring them back, so I think that's a bad example. It's like saying Tegan was gone after Time-Flight.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

McGann posted:

Considering I just saw this for the first time in the Oxx thread, what a perfect opportunity to post it here too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aq_N0bllCM

Now I gotta wait for when I renew my Hulu subscription to watch this series.

i tried watching this for more than 30 seconds and i threw up in my mouth

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They remade Doctor Who and the Pirates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00T_ft5RCdc

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

BSam posted:

okay now i've actually thrown up everywhere

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Metal Loaf posted:

So, Rose is trapped in Pete's world (though she later gets a David Tennant RealDoll to keep her company), Donna has the memories of all the adventures she shared with the Doctor wiped with the proviso that if she ever sees him again her brain will incinerate itself, and Amy and Rory get stuck in a kind of paradox minefield that'll destroy time if the Doctor tries to save them.
This is why I don't like Donna's ending, it ended up setting a precedent that when a companion leaves it has to be super sad. Amy and Rory had a great ending at the end of series 6, the punchline that if River is the Doctor's wife then Amy is his mother in law. But no, it's got to be super sad so they're zapped back in time and Moffat throws up a whole bunch of ridiculous story walls so that it's sad and they can never come back. Then Clara's boyfriend dies and she tells the Doctor she's OK to spare his feelings and he tells her he's OK to spare her feelings and they both trudge off on misery. At least it's looking like that won't be her actual exit from the show. If every companion ends up having a heartbreaking tragic ending then the audience is just going to end up getting exhausted. New companion gets introduced and everyone just thinks "oh, I wonder what terrible thing will happen to this one"

McGann
May 19, 2003

ThePutty posted:

okay now i've actually thrown up everywhere

Kind of a weak stomach?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BSam posted:

Oooh oooh ooh! Time for me to (re)post the secret verses that they cut from Gallifreyan Buccaneer, but which were published in the 2003 Big Finish guidebook!

CUT VERSE 1

quote:

I know our mythic
history from Omega to
Rassilon,
Some say that I'm the Other
but that notion's usually
frowned upon.

This was replaced with "I've tackled shady Castellans..." to cut down on the repetition of "Rassilon" in the number. But there were other alternatives, too...

CUT VERSE 2

quote:

My friendships with
companions never slip
into carnality,
For that would be
cathartic in its spurious
morality.

CUT VERSE 3

quote:

My audio adventures
now are on CD for
all to hear,
Including that well-written
one with fugous and the
Brigadier.

and Colin Baker's personal favorite:

CUT VERSE 4

quote:

I've battled mighty foes
in every planetary
vicinity,
And handsome Captain
Maxil shot me in Arc of
Infinity

My guidebook is, like, the fuckin' Zagreomicon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Those last two manage to not fit the metre :saddowns:

• Locked thread