Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Phetz posted:

Oh, I think it's a safe bet that it'll find a way to be hosed somehow. :gamebryo:

IMO the best thing you can do is start over from scratch, installing the base game/DLC/Utilities/Unofficial patches, and take a good, long look at the list of mods you want to use, cutting down as much as you can on the script-heavy stuff and big content additions. Honestly the best way to go, if you want to have a seamless experience start to finish, is to use as few mods as possible.

Finish? You can finish?!?

Really though, don't be afraid of script-heavy mods. Just be sure to use Papyrus Data Transfer occasionally to check your save game health (with regard to scripts, at least). And use it every single time you remove a mod that has even one script just to check for and remove any unwanted leftovers. Even mods with uninstall options can leave stuff behind, but this tool can fix it.

Edit: Unless your processor is old, then it might be wise to keep them to a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Praetorian Mage posted:

Wouldn't replacing the FormID change what the spell does as well? I only want to change the visual effect.

Sorry if this is a dumb question; I've only used TES5Edit to make merged patches, so I'm not too familiar with it.

In TES5Edit every 'record' looks like a big excel spreadsheet. A lot of sub-records are basically a hyperlink to some other record; which is referenced by the FormId like (e.g. a url, with our browser analogy). You can see when you right click and 'edit' a sub-record it gives some fluff information but off to the right in [] is a FormId. You can replace the entire contents of that edit dialog with another FormId and it will basically point to a new sub-record. Note you need to replace it with a similar record-type, otherwise you could have issues or at worst CTDs.

Ergo find the spell you want (oakflesh), I believe the thing that's bothering you will be one of it's magic effects (I always get the spell components/records backwards, so YMMV), so figure out which one it is. Then figure out a different magic effect that you like you can replace it with, copy it's FormId and replace the disease flesh one. Voila.

It's all pretty obvious and self explanatory once you do it a couple times.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is there any ENB presets that arent particularly heavy on resources, just adding a little DoF and Sharpening, instead of adding everything and the kitchen sink? The 4 top rated ones on Nexus just make my game crawl along.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 14, 2014

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Christ I wish Tendo would put his patches up on github or something, they're are way to horribly optimized to be released to the public.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Agents are GO! posted:

Found your problem.

For what ever reason NMM insists that you don't delete those precious .zip files even if you have the .bsa files, meshes, etc. all set up in your Data folder. Either that or it simply looks for the Games/Nexus Mod Manager/Skyrim folder. But I fixed everything by deleting every single thing related to Skyrim except saves and the NMM folder in Games, installing the game again, copy-pasting my Skyrim folder back-up into the Steam directory, checking the .bsas I wanted to load and then launching.

I think the issue was probably just something to do with a mod update breaking my game for whatever reason. But Nexus Mod Manager wasn't helping matters.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also, trying to use Lootification and getting tons of random crashes.

Any idea's what this means?

pre:
Message: Armor: ArmorOrcishHelmet, from Skyrim.esm, has unresolvable template entry: 000000Skyrim.esm

[EXCEPTION]  java.lang.NullPointerException
	at LeveledListInjector.ArmorTools.armorHasKeyword(ArmorTools.java:540)
	at LeveledListInjector.ArmorTools.armorHasAnyKeyword(ArmorTools.java:518)
	at LeveledListInjector.ArmorTools.buildArmorBases(ArmorTools.java:315)
	at LeveledListInjector.LeveledListInjector.runChangesToPatch(LeveledListInjector.java:531)
	at skyproc.gui.SUMGUI$ProcessingThread.run(SUMGUI.java:953)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
I've looked at the armor record in Tes5edit and it seems fine??

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Mr. Crow posted:

Also, trying to use Lootification and getting tons of random crashes.

Any idea's what this means?

pre:
Message: Armor: ArmorOrcishHelmet, from Skyrim.esm, has unresolvable template entry: 000000Skyrim.esm

[EXCEPTION]  java.lang.NullPointerException
	at LeveledListInjector.ArmorTools.armorHasKeyword(ArmorTools.java:540)
	at LeveledListInjector.ArmorTools.armorHasAnyKeyword(ArmorTools.java:518)
	at LeveledListInjector.ArmorTools.buildArmorBases(ArmorTools.java:315)
	at LeveledListInjector.LeveledListInjector.runChangesToPatch(LeveledListInjector.java:531)
	at skyproc.gui.SUMGUI$ProcessingThread.run(SUMGUI.java:953)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
I've looked at the armor record in Tes5edit and it seems fine??

One of your mods edited the orcish helmet and added the TNAM field but left it empty (all zeros are read as 000000Skyrim.esm). If you find that one in TesEdit you can right click the TNAM entry and choose remove and it will fix it. They probably misclicked or something. Its really my bad since I should check for that since it seems fairly common and skyrim seems fine with a blank. Other busted mods have non-zero entries that don't point to anything either which is what that is supposed to report.

Oh you want to help with UI stuff still?

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
Man these PerMa perk descriptions are annoying as all get out. I even have the Defluffing path installed and it's still the same. Should I have installed it after making the patch?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Tindahbawx posted:

Is there any ENB presets that arent particularly heavy on resources, just adding a little DoF and Sharpening, instead of adding everything and the kitchen sink? The 4 top rated ones on Nexus just make my game crawl along.

I've had good results with Phinix Natural ENB.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

LtSmash posted:

One of your mods edited the orcish helmet and added the TNAM field but left it empty (all zeros are read as 000000Skyrim.esm). If you find that one in TesEdit you can right click the TNAM entry and choose remove and it will fix it. They probably misclicked or something. Its really my bad since I should check for that since it seems fairly common and skyrim seems fine with a blank. Other busted mods have non-zero entries that don't point to anything either which is what that is supposed to report.

Oh you want to help with UI stuff still?

I actually started poking around my old setup I did for it last week, do you have the latest up on bitbucket? I saw Skyproc and ASIS were up there.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Hey all, I am trying to make a small mod that adds randomized enemy adventurers to dungeons. Part of my mod I want to make it so the adventurers are very unique. To do this I decided to make it so they have randomized bits of equipment. So for example an adventurer would be wearing either dwarven or ebony or steel armor. I also Make it so the adventurers may no be wearing helmets or gloves with different probabilities. Is there a better way to implement this than nested leveled lists? It seems quite the hassle to make A leveled list for all the possible outfits containing a leveled list for each armor set that contains a chest, boots, and then a leveled list for gloves and a leveled list for a helmet.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also no dice on that TNAM suggestion, got nothing from TES5Edit

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

Man these PerMa perk descriptions are annoying as all get out. I even have the Defluffing path installed and it's still the same. Should I have installed it after making the patch?

If you're using Mod Organizer, make sure the install order (left pane) has the patch loading after Perkus Maximus. It doesn't affect the patch itself, as the Patchus esp contains edits to items that Patchus made. You want Defluffing's ESPs to replace the base Perkus modules, so they come after (or replace them if you're using NMM).

Edit: Also gently caress Tendo for using Latin in his mod name. Now every instance of "esp" sends me straight back to learning verb tenses. :suicide:

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 14, 2014

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Alasyre posted:

Finish? You can finish?!?

Really though, don't be afraid of script-heavy mods. Just be sure to use Papyrus Data Transfer occasionally to check your save game health (with regard to scripts, at least). And use it every single time you remove a mod that has even one script just to check for and remove any unwanted leftovers. Even mods with uninstall options can leave stuff behind, but this tool can fix it.

Edit: Unless your processor is old, then it might be wise to keep them to a minimum.

Sigh...I finished once, when the game first came out. It's kind of a blessing in disguise that the mod tools came out so late after release, otherwise I would DEFINITELY have never finished. Never heard of PDT though, that's interesting. Thanks.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Mr. Crow posted:

Also no dice on that TNAM suggestion, got nothing from TES5Edit

I don't see a merged patch so that's gonna stop you if this gets worked out.

Ugh. Its throwing a null pointer exception when trying to get the keywords. That code is a mess but I'm really confused by it since it clearly does have keywords and that shouldn't be null even if it didn't, just empty. And if the armor was null it should have broken before that. Is it somehow confusing the lack of a template as a template?

And I never moved Lootification from google code. The stuff I'm working on is the JSON branch but there is a ton of crap in it too. And some things don't have traces yet.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
From the OP

quote:

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch: Fixes for the Dragonborn DLC IT SHOULD GO WITHOUT SAYING THAT YOU NEED THE DLC INSTALLED (IF YOU HAVE DRAGONBORN, MAKE SURE YOU LOAD THIS PATCH’S BSA AFTER THE USKP BSA OR IT WILL BREAK DRAGON SOUL ABSORPTION)

Does this mean Dragonborn's patch should have higher or lower priority in MO? After could mean lower priority or so that it overwrites USKP

or is this a non issue with MO?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I think it goes like this:

Skyrim
Skyrim patch
Dawnguard
Dawnguard patch
Dragonborn
Dragonborn patch

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Does this mean Dragonborn's patch should have higher or lower priority in MO? After could mean lower priority or so that it overwrites USKP
or is this a non issue with MO?
It actually is a warning for MO users, but it's also somewhat obsolete. The Dragonborn unofficial patch's BSA contains several scripts that need to overwrite non-Dragonborn versions of those scripts that are in the Skyrim unofficial patch's BSA.
When you place your mods in the Data folder the game loads the contents of BSA files in the same order as the corresponding .esm & .esp files. So if you sort your plugin loadorder properly, everything will be fine.

Mod Organizer doesn't put mods in the Data folder. It keeps them elsewhere and presents the mods' files to the game as it boots via unholy voodoo. MO also adds an installation order (left side of the screen in MO), in addition to the plugin loadorder (right side of the screen in MO).
In older versions of MO, the installation order would trump the plugin loadorder. So if you had your loadorder properly sorted, but had the USKP lower in your installation order then the UDBP, then MO would present the USKP version of the scripts to the game instead of the UDKP ones. Which would result in your computer blowing up. Well, not really. Just you not being able to absorb dragon souls.
The creator of MO fixed this and it presents the BSA files to the game in same order as the corresponding plugins positions in your loadorder, regardless of the BSA files' installation order. So again: if you sort your plugin loadorder properly, everything should be fine.

That all said. I'd say it's still a good idea when using MO to have your installation order follow your loadorder, unless you want certain loose files from one mod to overwrite some other mod's loose files. If only so that your force yourself to pay attention to your installation order.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is there an .ini setting where you can change the ground foliage and grass density to something a little less extreme? I'm pretty drat happy with the way I've got the game setup right now, but drat its irritating trying to find where that last rabbit or bandit decided to die. Its like playing hide and seek with dead bodies.

I know I can change the distance of it rendering, but that looks crap, I like having the grass rendering out to a distance, I just want it so that I can see things that have dropped on the ground a bit better when standing over them.

Also, semi related, that Skyrim Mod Combiner is pretty much a godsend for lazy people like me. Takes a fair bit of the hastle out of getting a decent set of textures up and running.

Capn Beeb posted:

I've had good results with Phinix Natural ENB.

Thanks man, that worked nicely.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 14, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Tindahbawx posted:

Is there an .ini setting where you can change the ground foliage and grass density to something a little less extreme? I'm pretty drat happy with the way I've got the game setup right now, but drat its irritating trying to find where that last rabbit or bandit decided to die. Its like playing hide and seek with dead bodies.

I know I can change the distance of it rendering, but that looks crap, I like having the grass rendering out to a distance, I just want it so that I can see things that have dropped on the ground a bit better when standing over them.

If it was just dead bodies, there's a nice "Detect Dead" spell available in vanilla. (Note that it'll detect "sleeping" dead as well as, y'know, dead dead. Careful you don't wake the Draugr...)

Spotting dropped items would be nice, especially if you (or your follower, or the dude you were shouting at, et cetera) get disarmed and you want your goddamn magic sword back...

Lazy sods who use magic can always use Loot Magnet (from Apocalypse Spells) or the like. This doesn't help if you need to find the body for specific reasons, like reanimating, posing, or creepy unspecified uses. :quagmire:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

LOOT posted:

Update.esm

CRC: E5B67BDA

C.Location, Delev, Invent, Relev
•Warning: Contains 92 ITM records and 3 UDR records. Clean with TES5Edit.

What exactly does clean mean? I've got TES5EDIT open but I've got no idea what stuff to use, and I'm wary of breaking anything accidentally while poking around.

e: Thanks, exactly what I needed

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 15, 2014

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

What exactly does clean mean? I've got TES5EDIT open but I've got no idea what stuff to use, and I'm wary of breaking anything accidentally while poking around.

Use this tutorial. An ITM means Identical to Master, which means that Update.esm edits a record but the edit is the same as what Skyrim.esm says, so while it technically doesn't change anything, the fact that it is edited in the first place makes it a "change." Cleaning ITMs is just an extra precaution to prevent conflicts. I forgot what UDRs are.

If I recall correctly, UDRs are records that were deleted but the fact that they were deleted flags the record, which means the record is still considered altered.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 15, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Alasyre posted:

Use this tutorial. An ITM means Identical to Master, which means that Update.esm edits a record but the edit is the same as what Skyrim.esm says, so while it technically doesn't change anything, the fact that it is edited in the first place makes it a "change." Cleaning ITMs is just an extra precaution to prevent conflicts. I forgot what UDRs are.

If I recall correctly, UDRs are records that were deleted but the fact that they were deleted flags the record, which means the record is still considered altered.

Being marked deleted in the CK can cause CTDs. What TES5Edit does is undelete them and then disable them.

If something is marked deleted, the game doesn't even load that record, and then if a script tries to interact with that record, the game crashes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I never got around to beating Skyrim when it came out and my old saved games are long gone. The OP appears to have last been updated in February. What awesome bugfix mods do I need to install to have the Perfect Bethesda RPG Experience?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

I never got around to beating Skyrim when it came out and my old saved games are long gone. The OP appears to have last been updated in February. What awesome bugfix mods do I need to install to have the Perfect Bethesda RPG Experience?

I think the OP is still relevant. Start with the bug fixes and patches and work your way up from there. There is no One True Modded Experience really, it's just a matter of asking yourself while playing, "What would make this game better?" and then looking for a solution on :nexus:. For some people, the answer is "This game needs SPERG and lighting overhaul!" for others, it's "This game needs flame-spewing genitalia!"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

So, I want to add more background NPCs to the game. Should I install Inconsequential NPCs, Populated Cites, both or neither?

Also,has anyone tried the Skyrim Scaling Stopper? (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9857) - if so, how is it? I want a more random distribution of enemy difficulty but I don't want to get curbstomped if I'm not a gaming god, because I am not a gaming god.

Thank you!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have both. Inconsequential NPCs has a few annoying ones with voice acting (I disabled the town crier in Solitude, gently caress that guy) but I really like the generic patrons and random folks it adds who mill around in the shops and inns, and the additional generic folks from Populated Cities blend in well.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I have both. Inconsequential NPCs has a few annoying ones with voice acting (I disabled the town crier in Solitude, gently caress that guy) but I really like the generic patrons and random folks it adds who mill around in the shops and inns, and the additional generic folks from Populated Cities blend in well.

How do you dp things like disable specific npcs? is it easy to understand or is it mucking around with codong and poo poo?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

How do you dp things like disable specific npcs? is it easy to understand or is it mucking around with codong and poo poo?

You could open up the console, click the crier, and type "disable". Not sure if doing that can cause problems down the line though. Worked for me.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
:confused: But the voice acting is intentionally hamfisted in his case, and on top of the ridiculous poo poo he's reading out (new littering penalties, etc) it makes him a huge target for various forms of humiliation. You should oblige him rather than console him out. Construct elaborate deathtraps and public spectacles. Surround him with caged wolves. Abduct him with Jaxonz Positioner and sacrifice him to your favorite Daedric prince, or just cage him up next to Heimskr and nuke them both from orbit just to be sure.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Red Mundus posted:

You could open up the console, click the crier, and type "disable". Not sure if doing that can cause problems down the line though. Worked for me.

Did exactly that. Considered shoving him in my backpack via Positioner and dumping him in the ocean somewhere but he'd probably come back so disable was the only way to be sure. :ese:

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Why would turning on an ENB profile, even one with all the effects turned off, tank my FPS? It literally halves it, and makes the game very stuttery.

Theres no limiter or anything similar set, FPS without ENB ~65. FPS with ENB ~28. Turning on and off different options doesn't seems to make much difference at all.

Could it be a problem with AMD's, sometimes questionable, graphics drivers? Literally as soon as I toggle Global -> UseEffect to True, even without any effect actually enabled, the FPS tanks.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 16, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Are there any special instructions for installing SPERG 4.0 these days? I may add it to my STEP 2.2.9 (+frostfall, +extra land quests like falskaar, etc) install.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

pmchem posted:

Are there any special instructions for installing SPERG 4.0 these days? I may add it to my STEP 2.2.9 (+frostfall, +extra land quests like falskaar, etc) install.

The only thing that's easy to miss is copying over the included Community Uncapper file so you get perks correctly. Just find it in the folder and overwrite the Skyrim Community Uncapper .ini file, other than that it couldn't be easier.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Can somebody list the correct mod order that we're supposed to use?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Skyrim.esm
Dick.esp
Butt.esp

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Tired of Morrowind already Goku :confused:

Welcome! :tipshat:

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Tindahbawx posted:

Under the grass section in skyrim.ini add "iMinGrassSize=30". Default is 20 and increasing the value makes the grass sparser.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Can somebody list the correct mod order that we're supposed to use?
Next, you just need to troll the FNV Modding thread and the Oblivion thread to get the Bethesda Thread Trolling award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Played through Skyrim many times, this was my first time installing mods and I have probably about 20 running and holy crap does it make it a different game.

The first real dungeon is located further up on a mountain, and I was already freezing to death halfway there since I was wearing barbarian armor. Even killing the bandits were a challenge since I had the bandit mod on, so half of them were invisible and cast magic. It does make everything they drop worthwhile, even food. I am actually super poor since every time I go into town I end up spending like 50g on water, a meal, and a bed.

I have been looking for a decent survival game and these mods are pretty impressive! The closest thing to this level of immersion is probably a roguelike called UnReal World, but obviously Skyrim is more graphically impressive.

This is such a cozy game to play now that winter is coming in.

• Locked thread