Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Kewpuh posted:

you're a loving retard

Yeah but I'm right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

elf help book posted:

I would have loved you to stop posting after you got added to the thread title.

Feeling is mutual. :)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It is kinda weird they aren't adding more characters just because characters seem a lot easier to do so they could make more money for a lower investment. You just need the model and don't even have to worry about stats or that many animations/clipping issues since they function exactly the same as existing racers. Tracks are a lot more work both creatively and technically and add more to the game experience so it's Cool and Good that they're adding so many.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The character selection in mario kart 8 is pretty naff, though. I wasn't expecting rarities like Dry Bones, but the lack of Diddy Kong is messed up. :colbert:

Also, a friend just explained to me that there are actually two bike types in Mario Kart 8, which totally explains why I'm inexplicably terrible with the sports bikes. No idea that half the bikes basically handle like karts - huzzah!

Also also, when I first rented the game the ONE kart I really wanted to unlock was the pipe frame. It took me 2400 coins, but I finally got it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I think 3 per DLC is sufficient, considering the size of the current roster, but Tanooki Mario and Cat Suit Peach were kind of a waste if they're doing crossover characters. Why make a Zelda course and an F-Zero course, but skimp on Ganondorf and Captain Falcon?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

enojy posted:

I think 3 per DLC is sufficient, considering the size of the current roster, but Tanooki Mario and Cat Suit Peach were kind of a waste if they're doing crossover characters. Why make a Zelda course and an F-Zero course, but skimp on Ganondorf and Captain Falcon?

Yeah, yet more versions of Mario and Peach are my only complaints about the DLC. Bring back Boo or Dry Bones if you want more Mario characters, considering it's Mario Kart and all, but I still want to play as Samus racing in her helmet ship.

Granted I want that most of all in a new F-Zero, but even with all my dreams I'm not delusional. :smith:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I generally like Tanooki Mario and prefer Cat Peach over Pink Gold Peach, but I would of been fine with more Zelda characters or even more Nintendo characters.

I fully expect Kitsune Luigi and Hipster Dad Bowser to be part of an eventual 3rd round of DLC though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

They should have had Zelda and, I dunno, Tingle or something, instead of another Mario/Peach skin.

Link is cool though, and I can't wait for Villager and Isabelle. :allears:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

It is kinda weird they aren't adding more characters just because characters seem a lot easier to do so they could make more money for a lower investment. You just need the model and don't even have to worry about stats or that many animations/clipping issues since they function exactly the same as existing racers. Tracks are a lot more work both creatively and technically and add more to the game experience so it's Cool and Good that they're adding so many.

I'm glad they did though. Mute City is a freaking amazing track.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finally played a few races and oh my god this DLC is amazing :allears: Mute City and the dragon track are incredible.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

greatn posted:

Well maybe not Pikmin 3. The challenge maps are solid but its all "Pay 3.99 for four challenge packs" type DLC.

Considering how extremely replayable those maps are, I'd say that $5 for 8 new ones (4 of each type) is fair. The remixed ones aren't quite so great ($4 for 8 rearranged maps already in the game), but ah well.

For Mario Kart, I think they probably could have made a fair bit of money with just a character pack, but I know I personally wouldn't have bought that, so it's hard to say. Also, since I'm already talking about the DLC, Ice Ice Outpost is incredibly tight and I love the design. Love how dynamic racing on it feels.

elf help book posted:

I would have loved you to stop posting after you got added to the thread title.
hahahahahahaha

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mercury Crusader posted:

They probably figure if they dump all the games they own the rights to right away on the eShop, there'll be these long gaps of time where there will be zero VC releases until a third-party decides to release something, and then everybody can complain about no VC games for six months at a time instead of one VC game release every week.

After realizing I never played half of the 20 Ambassador VC games I had, and then fired up most of those games once or twice, I am really not that excited for the Virtual Console service.

If every game was on there, I'd probably just stick to the AAA 1st party titles that area already up and not venture into the more obscure stuff, given how rarely i play VC now.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The new characters should've been Link, Midna and Wizzro

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Cia should have been in Mario Kart since she can't not score.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

The new characters should've been Link, Midna and Wizzro

Epic this.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
I just watched a 20 minute video of the Gameexplain dudes dissecting every single frame of that Splatoon single-player mode trailer from the direct. Goddamn, Splatoon is gonna own. so. hard.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Single player mode was all I needed to win me over. I need Splatoon yesterday.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

the lack of Diddy Kong is messed up. :colbert:

More games need Diddy Kong in them.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

Mario Kart's dlc includes a ton of new tracks. Many people thought they wouldn't offer new tracks at all because that's a LOT of new assets, I.e. a lot of work. I'd imagine they also don't have the full team still there working on dlc, they probably were assigned to other projects. Frankly it's impressive they're offering so many tracks and that they're so high quality.

I was incredibly shocked when I found out that MLK8 would have DLC tracks just because I'm so used to getting loving nickel and dimed on that sort of thing. I was floored when I found out that Hyrule Warriors' DLC effectively doubled the number of missions in a game.

If that's how Nintendo does DLC then I'm so ready to give them all my money. Just give me Smash DLC please.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Just posting to say that Link's animation when he gets hit in the MK8 dlc is the best thing I've seen in gaming this year.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Just give me Smash DLC please.

Why do I just now realize that DLC characters are a possibility? There's a lot of potential there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mewtwo is already even announced, where yo been?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

greatn posted:

Mewtwo is already even announced, where yo been?

I thought that was something you unlocked by having both games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Frag_Man posted:

100 bucks to unlock a single character.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You will get Mewtwo for free for owning both games, but that's only once they finish working on him, which will be around spring.

The Taint Reaper posted:

100 bucks to unlock a single character.

You also get the games. Two games of a value totalling 100 dollars are in fact included in this 100 dollar transaction you speak of.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also if you don't think he'll be purchasable seperately you're dumb.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

The_Frag_Man posted:

By downloading.

He's content. You will download.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Supercar Gautier posted:

You also get the games. Two games of a value totalling 100 dollars are in fact included in this 100 dollar transaction you speak of.

And a two disc soundtrack that you are not going to open and sell on eBay three years from now for 10 bucks because approximately 2 million copies are in circulation and it's not rare at all but hey it's 10 bucks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

enojy posted:

And a two disc soundtrack that you are not going to open and sell on eBay three years from now for 10 bucks because approximately 2 million copies are in circulation and it's not rare at all but hey it's 10 bucks.

That fucker is going straight in my car's player.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I feel like Nintendo is giving us two reasonably cool things for owning both games when they very well could have just not given us anything and that's very nice of them! So I am going to accept those things from them. I am going to use the Punch Out Wii song as my alarm probably too, that seems like a nice way to wake up. A Smash soundtrack cd will be very useful to my everyday life, I can tell already.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

greatn posted:

That fucker is going straight in my car's player.

"hey greatn, what rad tunes have you got in your CD player?"
"oh, uh, they're pretty great, it's smash bros"
"ah, hmm, I see"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol yeah, who uses CD's nowadys?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Cool kids use cassette tape to iPod adapters.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Just have a Wii U running Smash with all the songs unlocked for your car.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Bass Bottles posted:

Cool kids use cassette tape to iPod adapters.

I saw some of those in Fry's lately; didn't even know they existed!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ride your bike with your Wii U, playing Smash Music on a tiny PA.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Ivy posted:

"ah, hmm, I see"

it's good to take a break from sonic adventure 2's soundtrack every now and then

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ivy posted:

"ah, hmm, I see"

who are the people you're driving around who don't enjoy nintendo games and history?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

After playing mute city in Mario kart this is all my brain is doing:

More F-Zero! More F-Zero! More F-Zero! More F-Zero! More F-Zero! More F-Zero! More F-Zero! More F-Zero! More F-Zero!

Come on Nintendo just do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

sharrrk posted:

it's good to take a break from sonic adventure 2's soundtrack every now and then

Getting stuck in a traffic jam and City Escape queuing up is a really frustrating experience.

• Locked thread