Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

This poo poo again.

:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Kaedric posted:

The mistake is thinking that buying a clear is you preferring to skip content than learn it. As I stated above, it is likely just a situation where the person was not lucky enough to get into a static, and it's a total crapshoot to try doing with party finder. Because T9 gates FCOB, you have to get it out of the way somehow, and it's actually semi likely that when applying for a static saying "oh I've never beat T9" is a bad thing.

I dunno, I'm just having flashbacks to when Titan Extreme was first released, and goons where making GBS threads on other players in FC who bought runs, which made zero sense to me. I was a tank at the time and I had that poo poo on autopilot, and it took me something like 85 parties to get it done in pubbiefinder because other people in the party were poo poo and would die constantly. That's kinda what I'm getting at I guess. You can play PERFECTLY, but you can't make the other people not die to landslides just by virtue of you being good at the game. So is that person now a worthless player because they got sick of doing titan pubbie runs for a month straight and bought the run? All the smugposting goons in FC seemed to think so.

Slamming your head into a fight for hours and hours is literally the defining factor of progression. If your response to being stuck on a fight is "Spend money to skip it" rather than "put together a group to run and learn it", you probably aren't going to be a good fit for a progression group! I have no problems with people buying clears, they can do whatever they want with their money, but it certainly raises a huge red flag as to whether or not this person is going to be competent and dedicated enough to fit in.

There's also the small aspect that the person in question explicitly said he bought a clear because he couldn't be bothered to learn the fight, but I didn't mention that in my original post

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Why do you people put yourselves through this? Seriously. If you're not "lucky" enough to get into a static? Make your own. Instead of simply joining so many party finder groups expecting a carry, identify the good players you meet in those runs, and see if they're interested in forming a static. Slowly build up a crack team of people who can actually play the game and get along with each other and eventually get a static up and running that can actually clear content.

Throwing yourself to so many party finder groups and expecting success is a folly. Yeah, a lot of "smugposting" goons poo poo on you for it because they went through that effort to get to where they are now. Buying the run shows you're not willing to put in the same kind of effort, not just in learning the content, but in learning how to become a valuable team member.

In short, :gitgud:.

A lot of people seem to underestimate how much work actually goes into keeping a static together. My group didn't luck into where we are, we spent 2 months iterating through members just to get a solid group of 8, and then a month of raiding 9 hours a week after that to get our T9 clear.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Somehow all the cool people you meet in Duty Finder don't play on Excalibur!

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Why do you people put yourselves through this? Seriously. If you're not "lucky" enough to get into a static? Make your own. Instead of simply joining so many party finder groups expecting a carry, identify the good players you meet in those runs, and see if they're interested in forming a static. Slowly build up a crack team of people who can actually play the game and get along with each other and eventually get a static up and running that can actually clear content.

Throwing yourself to so many party finder groups and expecting success is a folly. Yeah, a lot of "smugposting" goons poo poo on you for it because they went through that effort to get to where they are now. Buying the run shows you're not willing to put in the same kind of effort, not just in learning the content, but in learning how to become a valuable team member.

In short, :gitgud:.

I should be clear that no one was making GBS threads on me, I just saw it happening to other goons. And I think all I have to do is point to certain folks posting in this thread to dispel your scare quotes around smugposting. I had/have a static (although it was one that was disinterested in doing Titan EX) that I made in just the fashion you stated. And not to be totally combative, but most people did not put through the effort you're talking about to get into a static. Most goon statics were/are organized via the forums. Not every player is going to be a LEADER OF MEN and organize a static from the ground up, and if they had? Why would they be applying to your group?

Keep in mind what we are talking about here is that someone would PREFER to get someone who had never done content to one who had chosen to buy their way past it. Both circumstances involve the person not being good enough to clear the content, but one somehow is preferable over the other. I'm arguing against that.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

bonewitch posted:

There's also the small aspect that the person in question explicitly said he bought a clear because he couldn't be bothered to learn the fight, but I didn't mention that in my original post

Damnit man, now I agree with you >=(

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
This game attracts enough people new to the idea of MMO progression raiding that the thread ends up re fighting the same old Goon Squad vs Elitist Jerks arguments from WoW vanilla circa 2004, I guess

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Chairman posted:

This game attracts enough people new to the idea of MMO progression raiding that the thread ends up re fighting the same old Goon Squad vs Elitist Jerks arguments from WoW vanilla circa 2004, I guess

ah the salad days *leans back in a chair and reminisces about all the Beef alts*

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Kaedric posted:

Keep in mind what we are talking about here is that someone would PREFER to get someone who had never done content to one who had chosen to buy their way past it. Both circumstances involve the person not being good enough to clear the content, but one somehow is preferable over the other. I'm arguing against that.

I guess I should have been more clear when I talked about "running someone though T9". We were looking for people who had enough T9 experience to clear but hadn't necessarily done so (because we knew T9 pugs are terrible). We actually turned down a good tank that we had played with before because he had no T9 experience.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

The Chairman posted:

This is kind of a major feat in itself, really. I only know a few other people who have been serious progression raiders at some point, and most of them were in FFXI, which wasn't really like modern MMORPGs in any way. For so many people to be brand new to (and enjoying!) progression raiding is a huge surprise, especially in the wake of Wildstar's GAME FOR HARDCORE RAIDERS.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Chairman posted:

EVERY THREE PAGES

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

bonewitch posted:

I guess I should have been more clear when I talked about "running someone though T9". We were looking for people who had enough T9 experience to clear but hadn't necessarily done so (because we knew T9 pugs are terrible). We actually turned down a good tank that we had played with before because he had no T9 experience.

The more you give context to your story the more I agree with you. Please stop so we can argue over the internet.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I think we should focus the discussion not on those who would purchase runs, but those who sell. Surely they have the most abysmal self esteem, and no allagan weapons.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I sold DD powerlevel runs to ninjas at 25k a pop but my self esteem is pretty abysmal. I also do not have an Allagan weapon! Just a Burtgang!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Velthice posted:

I think we should focus the discussion not on those who would purchase runs, but those who sell. Surely they have the most abysmal self esteem, and no allagan weapons.

All run sellers are horrible people until they offer me a discount for their services.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Help I am new to emm emm ohs and have no idea what a static is, what would be considered a static, is it like an fc thing or something

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

a static is like a D&D group except you don't have to look people in the eye to see if they're giving you that look of encroaching shame upon the dawning realization that they're spending the friday nights of their 20s fighting a giant snake lady over and over again

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Luna Was Here posted:

Help I am new to emm emm ohs and have no idea what a static is, what would be considered a static, is it like an fc thing or something

A static is a group of people you agree to log on at the same time as & do difficult content with, usually organized with a Linkshell. If you trust the people you're playing with, you'll have a much better time & spend way less time overall finishing the content.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
when second coil came out my group helped innocent newbies through t5 solely to let them loose on t6 party finders :twisted:

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Rei_ posted:

a static is like a D&D group except you don't have to look people in the eye to see if they're giving you that look of encroaching shame upon the dawning realization that they're spending the friday nights of their 20s fighting a giant snake lady over and over again

Time to knock some heads together and figure out how to transfer Coil and Extreme fights to a D&D table-top format.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

call the police

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Touchfuzzy posted:

Time to knock some heads together and figure out how to transfer Coil and Extreme fights to a D&D table-top format.

Roll a d20 every turn, at 16+ you don't instantly die to a landslide/plume stack.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Touchfuzzy posted:

Probably not that hard. For hard enrages just give a turn limit that the boss must be completed in, make up damage values for all of the moves and then make up ranges/aoe for each of the moves. I.e twintania uses liquid hell on player x but player y and z are also in the resulting aoe so they need to do move rolls to see if they escape the fire otherwise they take like 1/4 their hp or something like that

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've gotten my CUL to 37 for Steady Hand 2, what should I do next? And I did it the slow and painful way by just doing my ixal quests for a level a day, what's the best way to start getting things to 50? I don't mind blowing some money, I've got a million gil I'm not using for anything. Do I just go and spam the highest level leve I can do and buy the HQ items to do it fastest? Seems like that would be a lot cheaper than crafting everything on the lists and gearing up constantly. I'm not on excal, prices tend to be somewhat cheaper on Hyperion.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Luna Was Here posted:

Probably not that hard. For hard enrages just give a turn limit that the boss must be completed in, make up damage values for all of the moves and then make up ranges/aoe for each of the moves. I.e twintania uses liquid hell on player x but player y and z are also in the resulting aoe so they need to do move rolls to see if they escape the fire otherwise they take like 1/4 their hp or something like that

I'm pretty sure that a properly designed tabletop version of Turn 7 would end up having every group that attempts it kill each other before the night is out

God knows learning that fight it was a very good thing I was millions of miles away from my 7 "friends" as we wiped how loving hard is it to turn the gently caress around I JUST shouted voice check your voice JESUS CHRIST WIPE IT UP

E: Changing topics:

UglyDucklett posted:

I've gotten my CUL to 37 for Steady Hand 2, what should I do next? And I did it the slow and painful way by just doing my ixal quests for a level a day, what's the best way to start getting things to 50? I don't mind blowing some money, I've got a million gil I'm not using for anything. Do I just go and spam the highest level leve I can do and buy the HQ items to do it fastest? Seems like that would be a lot cheaper than crafting everything on the lists and gearing up constantly. I'm not on excal, prices tend to be somewhat cheaper on Hyperion.

You can get every crafting job to 15-18 just by going down the initial two lists and crafting everything, along with maybe a little incidental grinding which will hardly matter. Having access to all the 15 skills will help.

The leves you want to use to level are known as Courier leves. They all work exactly the same way: you get the leve, it tells you to craft a single item, and it wants you to take it outside the city to an outpost somewhere. They give notably larger XP reward than regular leves. You can buy the HQ items for them, or if you have any buddies which have the craft leveled already, have them HQ for you. It doesn't take a lot of materials to level up this way, although it will burn through your Leves very quickly.

If you don't have a preference for crafting jobs, do CRP first for Byregot's Blessing, and then WVR for Careful Synthesis II. After that it'll hardly matter for order and you can do your own HQing extremely easily.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 17, 2014

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Meiteron posted:

You can get every crafting job to 15-18 just by going down the initial two lists and crafting everything, along with maybe a little incidental grinding which will hardly matter. Having access to all the 15 skills will help.

The leves you want to use to level are known as Courier leves. They all work exactly the same way: you get the leve, it tells you to craft a single item, and it wants you to take it outside the city to an outpost somewhere. They give notably larger XP reward than regular leves. You can buy the HQ items for them, or if you have any buddies which have the craft leveled already, have them HQ for you. It doesn't take a lot of materials to level up this way, although it will burn through your Leves very quickly.

If you don't have a preference for crafting jobs, do CRP first for Byregot's Blessing, and then WVR for Careful Synthesis II. After that it'll hardly matter for order and you can do your own HQing extremely easily.

Thanks! already had everything 15, forgot to mention that.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Just wanted to thank Ethiser for using my code and subbing.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Helpful link: http://ffxivcrafting.com/levequests

If the site shows it's a triple turn-in, that means you can repeat it three times (e.g. if it asks for 3 of something for completion, you can give 3, then 3 again, then 3 a third time, for a total of 9), and get the reward three times. So you can effectively multiply the exp/gil per leve by three for those, if you don't mind forking over that many items.

You get double the listed exp/gil for turning in HQ instead of NQ.

Aside from that, just pick whichever leve in your level range gives either the best exp per leve or the best exp per item, and spam that one until you hit a new level range. Allow for reasonable exceptions when the items are a pain to HQ (40 durability) or have relatively rare/expensive ingredients.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Killsion posted:

Just wanted to thank Ethiser for using my code and subbing.

Glad to help. I've really enjoyed my free month with this game. I should probably join one of the guilds soon.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'll throw my code out there if any intrepid goon wants to use it: 6UBFXSX9
If you use it let me know,I want to know who got it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rei_ posted:

Some of us are in our 30s :smith:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I ended my play time today at GLA 20. I have to say tanking is a great change of pace for playing the game. I've tanked the first 3 dungeons now and I've gotten a decent hang of it outside of some people not attacking things they should be. I need to figure out marking macros for the controller to help out with that in low dungeons. My first dungeon my dps's were goons and were helpful, our healer kept pulling things with Aero but we made it through without too much hassle. A few other runs I had some DPS (almost always ROG/NIN) that would keep attacking random mobs which made threat management difficult, but it was good for learning.

I'm having a lot of fun with it and I'm definitely going to see it through to 50.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Every so often I go on a Titan EX spree in PF. Since last major patch, I've progressed from never seeing Jailors, (2.3) to semi-reliably getting to the second round of bombs after Jailors spawn (2.5).

At this rate, I should be able to clear Titan EX via PF around the time 3.0 hits.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vil posted:

Helpful link: http://ffxivcrafting.com/levequests

If the site shows it's a triple turn-in, that means you can repeat it three times (e.g. if it asks for 3 of something for completion, you can give 3, then 3 again, then 3 a third time, for a total of 9), and get the reward three times. So you can effectively multiply the exp/gil per leve by three for those, if you don't mind forking over that many items.

You get double the listed exp/gil for turning in HQ instead of NQ.

Aside from that, just pick whichever leve in your level range gives either the best exp per leve or the best exp per item, and spam that one until you hit a new level range. Allow for reasonable exceptions when the items are a pain to HQ (40 durability) or have relatively rare/expensive ingredients.

Don't do triple turn-in leves unless the item reward is really good, like a relic precursor. The total XP works out to actually be slightly less than the single turn-in ones, and since it's three turn-ins of three items each, it works out to 9 times the work for less of a reward.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

OWLS! posted:

Every so often I go on a Titan EX spree in PF. Since last major patch, I've progressed from never seeing Jailors, (2.3) to semi-reliably getting to the second round of bombs after Jailors spawn (2.5).

At this rate, I should be able to clear Titan EX via PF around the time 3.0 hits.

Do you just need the clear because I'm sure goons would be able to help you out with it. I get home in a couple of hours so I'd be able to help you then. Trust me I know how hard that fight is with pubs,I did it through df and it was a nightmare

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't do triple turn-in leves unless the item reward is really good, like a relic precursor. The total XP works out to actually be slightly less than the single turn-in ones, and since it's three turn-ins of three items each, it works out to 9 times the work for less of a reward.

that depends on the specific leves available and the current market. apple juice is 9 for 96,000 (192 hq) exp and i was able to buy a ton of it for a fraction of the other options on my server. the next tier up, the triple turnins were incredibly expensive and hq crowned pies cost nothing.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Ethiser posted:

Glad to help. I've really enjoyed my free month with this game. I should probably join one of the guilds soon.

If you're on Excalibur, which you really should be, then absolutely join up with PBC or DGKK. Really makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

This is from a few pages back, but holy poo poo, hello my exact clone!

We're

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008
Did Data Center Primal perhaps just crash?

E:
Same
VVV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sojakfa
Jul 10, 2008
Just got punted out of the game

• Locked thread