Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is that true in jit languages? j/w

in some interpreted languages you'll pay a small penalty but who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

rotor posted:

buttbot is the only worthwhile software ever written

twitter clearly did not agree when they banned my buttbot after almost 4 years ;(

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

im the importance of performance when using an interpreted language with a penalty for longer variable names

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

X(x, y);

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

chmods please posted:

twitter clearly did not agree when they banned my buttbot after almost 4 years ;(

counterpoint: gently caress twitter

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AlsoD posted:

for real though, use map instead of simple list comprehensions like that. sure when you end up filtering and with local let expressions then they're fine, but usually map is way more idiomatic, useful, and common.

ill definitely look into it, but for now i think ill just accept it

so lets say i have 3 parsec parsers, in Haskell. p1,p2,p3. Would it be possible to have a fourth parser, p4, that is literally just the result of running the other 3 parsers on a string?

p4 :: Parser
p4 = return result_of_p1_on_string result_of_p2_on_string result_of_p3_on_string

something like that

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
re

rotor posted:

remember that js interp that had a perf penalty for comments

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
i thought that was only on the raspberry pi or some other idiotic port of Node.js

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Malcolm XML posted:

re

how

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Malcolm XML posted:

re

http://www.espruino.com/Performance

it's beautiful

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

"However, if you allocate a single boolean it will still take up 16 bytes of memory."

lollll

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

why

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One time, we were trying to figure out why our servers kept apparently crashing and it turned out an intern put a System.exit(1) call in a catch block in a JSP file.

Unfortunately, his internship had already run out by then.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
close to the metal

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

up your activity level

finding a job is a full time job. you should be putting in 40 a week minimum on your job search. talk to three recruiters a day, not three a week

this is more difficult than it sounds for someone of my sadbrains level and florida rejected medical :420:!!!

I failed a college class once because I wasnt sure I was submitting labs right (I wasn't) and checking my school email literally made me vomit so I didn't for uhh three months

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

this is more difficult than it sounds for someone of my sadbrains level and florida rejected medical :420:!!!

I failed a college class once because I wasnt sure I was submitting labs right (I wasn't) and checking my school email literally made me vomit so I didn't for uhh three months

is florida also rejecting your therapy sessions and anti-depressants? spoilers but weed is not a magic cure-all that gets you past your inability to deal with conflict in a healthy way.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

continuing these habits into your job search, much less your professional life, is highly inadvisable

you say you want to find a job but you're not really looking. complaining about sadbrains will not get you a job. working on a job search is the only thing that will get you a job.

the rest of the world gives no shits if you are in the depths of a depressive episode

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
im a php programmer so im at home here

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FamDav posted:

is florida also rejecting your therapy sessions and anti-depressants? spoilers but weed is not a magic cure-all that gets you past your inability to deal with conflict in a healthy way.

well technically with no Medicaid expansion, yes

I went to a therapist for a while but he was more interested in rambling about Frank Zappa than anything else and he thought I had literal autism so I stopped going

antidepressants scare me because my cousin was on them and he killed himself anyway

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

continuing these habits into your job search, much less your professional life, is highly inadvisable

you say you want to find a job but you're not really looking. complaining about sadbrains will not get you a job. working on a job search is the only thing that will get you a job.

the rest of the world gives no shits if you are in the depths of a depressive episode

yes I know all of this already as well and I am trying!!!

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Luigi Thirty posted:

antidepressants scare me because my cousin was on them and he killed himself anyway

fwiw, a friend who studied psych offered an explanation for this: some folks are so bad off that they are too depressed to even bother with suicide. when they go on medication it helps just enough that they are able to work up the motivation to go through with it. buuuuuut the friend only has a BS, so maybe take this with a grain of salt!

also, a helpful tip: telling someone to just not be so sadbrains doesn't work. i mean jfc if it were that easy it wouldn't be a problem

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Deacon of Delicious posted:

also, a helpful tip: telling someone to just not be so sadbrains doesn't work. i mean jfc if it were that easy it wouldn't be a problem
a lot of people cant or wont see that "it's all in your head" is different from "it's within your control"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

ill definitely look into it, but for now i think ill just accept it

so lets say i have 3 parsec parsers, in Haskell. p1,p2,p3. Would it be possible to have a fourth parser, p4, that is literally just the result of running the other 3 parsers on a string?

p4 :: Parser
p4 = return result_of_p1_on_string result_of_p2_on_string result_of_p3_on_string

something like that

ya, this is what do-notation is for - the parsers are monads. i'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'result' of the three parsers, but this returns a tuple of all three results together which you then pattern match on yourself. if you're not sure how tuples work it is 100% necessary for learning haskell so go read that chapter of learn you a haskell/your lecture notes.

code:
p1 :: Parser Int
p2 :: Parser String
p3 :: Parser Double

p4 :: Parser (Int, String, Double)
p4 = do
    int  <- p1
    str  <- p2
    dubs <- p3
    return (int, str, dubs)
liftM3 (,,) p1 p2 p3

Deacon of Delicious posted:

fwiw, a friend who studied psych offered an explanation for this: some folks are so bad off that they are too depressed to even bother with suicide. when they go on medication it helps just enough that they are able to work up the motivation to go through with it. buuuuuut the friend only has a BS, so maybe take this with a grain of salt!

this is true, and why i waited until i wasn't suicidal before getting them. obv there wasn't a guarantee that i'd improve that much but, well, you're not very logical in that state anyway.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 17, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

St Evan Echoes posted:

a lot of people cant or wont see that "it's all in your head" is different from "it's within your control"

the tough love "power through" speeches will work if you don't have clinical depression and are just feeling bad. if you do have clinical depression it just comes off as "oh, I'm completely worthless it is completely impossible for me to do that" and things get worse

don't be afraid of the psych meds. weed would just be trying another psychoactive drug, and it probably has a greater chance of not working than actually working. that's why you do things under the supervision of a doctor - not everything will work at first and that's fine

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I went to a therapist for a while but he was more interested in rambling about Frank Zappa than anything else and he thought I had literal autism so I stopped going

some therapists are bad, some are good. generally try and not classify an entire field as full of cranks just because one crank cranked you. because of the stigma around mental health care its a lot harder to find out who is good and who isnt quite as good, so you're likely to run into people who are not going to be helpful.

generally a practice that has a combination of psychologists and psychiatrists is nice because you have someone who is your "primary" who handles therapy sessions and a psychiatrist who works with you and your psychologist on medication.

quote:

thats awful that it happened, but this is like swearing off aspirin because your uncle died taking it. millions of people around the world taking antidepressants and going to therapy are able to make their lives legitimately better.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

weed would just be trying another psychoactive drug, and it probably has a greater chance of not working than actually working.

i really want to iterate this point: self-medicating with weed is a very, very, very bad idea. its actual factual medical usage is mainly limited to physical pain, vomiting, and nausea. there is so little research into the effects of whole flower and single cannibinoid treatments wrt to depression that no ethical doctor would prescribe medical marijuana for depression.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
i always come to yospos for tired "just dont be sad" depression air quotes debate air quotes

please someone post comics about depression or spoons or whatever

craisins posted:

*cacophony* Hi, craisins. :)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

FamDav posted:

i really want to iterate this point: self-medicating with weed is a very, very, very bad idea. its actual factual medical usage is mainly limited to physical pain, vomiting, and nausea. there is so little research into the effects of whole flower and single cannibinoid treatments wrt to depression that no ethical doctor would prescribe medical marijuana for depression.

your advice has been top notch itt imo

but i really object to the way u used "iterate" in this post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

KARMA! posted:

i always come to yospos for tired "just dont be sad" depression air quotes debate air quotes

please someone post comics about depression or spoons or whatever

*cacophony* Hi, craisins. :)

I've also been treated for psych issues for around 9 years. so good timing.

guess I'll just say this: find a therapist you like and keep seeing them even when you're on pills and think "you're cured". I've found that even though I've been on the same meds for ~5 years, I still need to talk to someone and it keeps me feeling good.

talk to me in irc if you need a bro

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

craisins posted:

same.

are you, too, excited to finally have a built-in debugger in 2014?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

fidel sarcastro posted:

same.

are you, too, excited to finally have a built-in debugger in 2014?

whoa tell me more

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
"print"

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

whoa tell me more

they pulled this thing into the core: http://phpdbg.com/docs/getting-started

but since it's only in 5.6, for me debugging still means

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

fidel sarcastro posted:

:eyepop:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

fidel sarcastro posted:

why are you not using phpstorm

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

suffix posted:

why are you using php

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

suffix posted:

why are you not using phpstorm

~~xdebug~~

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

i trust its from dire circumstances or perverse pleasures, and in either case asking would be impolite

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

not using phpstorm because vim's fine. even if i was going to use an ide, i don't like intellij's stuff.

using php because of legacy codebase.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

suffix posted:

dire circumstances

this one. it's this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Blinkz0rz posted:

~~xdebug~~

yes you plug phpstorm into it and you get breakpoints, step-through, variable inspection, the works, for requests you make from the browser or from your tests

i'm a ide-hating moron, and even i see the utility in that

• Locked thread