Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Sometimes the game just really, really wants you to win.

But I couldn't see what I was doing, at all, so I accidentally picked up the Polaroid, when the Dark Room is the only one I haven't cleared on Eden. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So uh.... i did the cathedral for the first time just now and... i killed isaac at the exact same time he killed me. I got the death screen and all but it said i unlocked a bag of pennies.

I guess my question is...did I win or not?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Ludovico + triple shot + magnetic tears + shielded tears meant that every boss was where I put my giant tear with 2 rotating smaller tears and couldn't shoot anything at me. Made the chest quite easy.

Made collecting all the hearts from a secret room with the dark bum quite easy too. Sometimes he might have time to drop one before you exit. Now I just herded them in to a corner.

Was saddened to find out that 2 book uses at the boss didn't make the tears any bigger.

Novasol posted:

Sometimes the game just really, really wants you to win.

But I couldn't see what I was doing, at all, so I accidentally picked up the Polaroid, when the Dark Room is the only one I haven't cleared on Eden. :eng99:

That looks amazing

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 16, 2014

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snAtD-R5X3o&feature=youtu.be (Spoiler: Final Boss of Rebirth)

:stare:

I don't think I will ever get an item combination like that in a normal playthrough for some time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Daaaammit does Isaac have some really garbage patterns.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I wish there was a colorblind mode or something. Red poop looks almost identical to normal ones. And evil heart and red heart drops are almost as bad. I've turned up the gamma to compensate but it doesn't do enough.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

something posted:

So uh.... i did the cathedral for the first time just now and... i killed isaac at the exact same time he killed me. I got the death screen and all but it said i unlocked a bag of pennies.

Yup. You can see the ending you missed in the stats screen.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Sorry if this is a redundant topic, but I scanned the last couple pages and didn't see it mentioned:

I was in the Womb I last night when my screen flickered and the game seemed to slow down noticeably, playing very similar to old school BoI with its performance issues. It stayed that way through almost the entire level, then 2/3rds of the way through the boss fight, the screen glitched again and everything sped up - considerably more than normal speed. I couldn't adjust fast enough and died soon after.

So my question is - was that one of those random level handicaps, or is my system in need some TLC?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm gonna say it's probably the latter, that's certainly not one of the level curses.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sounds like your poo poo's hosed.

The game speeding up could've been the broken stopwatch though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Manos del Sino posted:

Sorry if this is a redundant topic, but I scanned the last couple pages and didn't see it mentioned:

I was in the Womb I last night when my screen flickered and the game seemed to slow down noticeably, playing very similar to old school BoI with its performance issues. It stayed that way through almost the entire level, then 2/3rds of the way through the boss fight, the screen glitched again and everything sped up - considerably more than normal speed. I couldn't adjust fast enough and died soon after.

So my question is - was that one of those random level handicaps, or is my system in need some TLC?

Sure you just didn't have the Broken Stopwatch which slows down and speeds up rooms at random?

Dunno about the flickering though.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if I had the broken stopwatch in that run or not, but I was under the impression the stopwatch only activated upon entering a room?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, it does.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tried Cat Got Your Tongue for the first time, as soon as I realized what was happening with my loadout I sighed inwardly. It wasn't nearly as bad as I'd been afraid it would be though, and I actually did it in one go. I got lucky with Hive Mind in the very first store, and in the Necropolis I got two Pretty Fly pills but other than that it was pretty standard stuff. Solar System is still way worse.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

What the poo poo, donating to the store machine when it's at 999 coins makes it reset back to 0. gently caress you, game.

Are you serious? holy poo poo

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Tried Cat Got Your Tongue for the first time, as soon as I realized what was happening with my loadout I sighed inwardly. It wasn't nearly as bad as I'd been afraid it would be though, and I actually did it in one go. I got lucky with Hive Mind in the very first store, and in the Necropolis I got two Pretty Fly pills but other than that it was pretty standard stuff. Solar System is still way worse.

I got lucky with Little Steven dropping from the Widow(weird drop) on Cellar 1. Turns out shots from familiars still spawn flies as guppy. Then I got the 9Volt on Cellar 2 so basically Guppy's Head and Steven were my only weapons. Beats using that piece of crap Hairball.

Honestly, most of these challenges are just really tiring/harrowing. After finishing I just don't want to play anymore. And I still have Suicide King to do...

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

something posted:

Well you got the unlock at least. What character were you using? I cant remember if Isaac is one of the symbols that appears in the character select screen, but you could check that if so.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Wow, a mediocre Maggy run managed to beat ??? with the Pinking Shears and Smart Fly. See, you can still win even if you don't get a single Devil Room. It just takes 45 mins. :chord:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

HGH posted:

Honestly, most of these challenges are just really tiring/harrowing. After finishing I just don't want to play anymore. And I still have Suicide King to do...
The best thing they could add / do next is take the seed system further still. Just make a mode where you can load yourself up with what the hell you like as long as you've unlocked it. Naturally you won't be able to unlock anything else, but it'll be a nice stress reliever.

Manos del Sino posted:

Even on console the game is still a bit iffy. Occasionally all the items disappear for me, and get replaced with red question marks.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

limited posted:

Even on console the game is still a bit iffy. Occasionally all the items disappear for me, and get replaced with red question marks.

That's Curse of the Blind, it's meant to do that. It's annoying.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

AnonSpore posted:

What the poo poo, donating to the store machine when it's at 999 coins makes it reset back to 0. gently caress you, game.

Does it re-lock all the store upgrades when it does?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HGH posted:

I got lucky with Little Steven dropping from the Widow(weird drop) on Cellar 1. Turns out shots from familiars still spawn flies as guppy. Then I got the 9Volt on Cellar 2 so basically Guppy's Head and Steven were my only weapons. Beats using that piece of crap Hairball.

The hairball was actually bizarrely great against Mom since you can spin it around to hit like three doors at once, plus her foot when she stomps.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Got the Tanuuki Leaf as my first item on my EVE run. Pretty fun run, just alt-tabbing for boss fights as my fly slowly whittled them down.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Whore of Babylon works even if you have no red hearts at all? Riiiiight? Because goddamn I have had damage items just thrown at me this Azazel run.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Here are some special seedsmagic beans:

WH0A WHAT :downs:
T0PH EAVY :anime:
BRTL B0NS :fuckoff:
TEAR GL0W :science:
THEB LANK :silent:

edit: corrected topheavy

gibbed fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 16, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Crosspeice posted:

Whore of Babylon works even if you have no red hearts at all? Riiiiight? Because goddamn I have had damage items just thrown at me this Azazel run.

Yes. The only criteria is you must have one or fewer red hearts full.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Today I learned that the trace fire left by Fire Mind shots will turn Hoppers into Fire Hoppers.

And that if you're not interested in going after Mega Satan, the key parts left by the Angels reroll into other Angel Room items with the d6.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Rocketlex posted:

Yes. The only criteria is you must have one or fewer red hearts full.

I'm pretty sure that only applies to Eve, for anyone else it's half a red heart.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Ariong posted:

Yup. You can see the ending you missed in the stats screen.

oh thank goodness. I got so lucky getting some god-room friendly items but unlucky with my actual build.

Now to get this kind of luck 5 MORE times :shepface:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So uh...I just beat the Chest with Judas. And I got nothing. Then I remembered he doesn't have a reward. Oops. Well it helps with the checklist at least. For a second I worried it was a bug.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The hairball was actually bizarrely great against Mom since you can spin it around to hit like three doors at once, plus her foot when she stomps.

Oh this I actually did, since you don't take contact damage from Mom's Foot. Did it with the little spitting nubs and flies as well. The big Hairball does actually do a solid bit of damage, it's just usually not worth the risk. I wonder if Samson's Ball and Chain is any better?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kaethela posted:

Soy milk sets your damage to minimum anyway, so you'd have been extra screwed if you did have high damage. :v:

I don't think this is entirely true. I don't know how it works exactly but I had ipecac with 20/20 and a bunch of damage mods and my damage went to only two bars below the maximum it shows when I picked it up. The amount of shots it pumped out instad drat near every boss after that, although it's incredibly hard not to hit yourself with.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Aww, I got Tammy's Head w/Azazel early on which let me coast through the game, but I died to the Lamb since I hadn't fought him before and didn't know his patterns. If only I had gotten the Habit.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I picked up Mom's Knife on an Azazel run, and I thought it was gonna mess me up. Then I found Isaac's Tears, and nuked everything. Any charge item will refill it almost instantly, and it saved my life against The Lamb.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Huh, I thought Mom's Knife was sorta weak with Tammy's Head/Isaac's Tears? Or do these two items do damage differently?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is it even possible to get max luck? I can only think of a few items that bring it up, and they don't do much. The Lucky Foot doesn't even bring you up to two bars. The only way I can think of is with fire + habit + pill bottle + pyromaniac + 99 bombs shenanigans.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ahahah, I just tried Suicide King for the first time. Mom's Knife in the boss rush. :smugdog: I even had two Sun tarot cards that I'd been holding on to for a while when I got to Isaac, so I just facetanked him. Didn't even need both.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
A good way to get around the terrible damage of Mr Fetus in Demo Man challenge? Get mom's knife on a devil deal!! And coast to victory :D

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Ariong posted:

Is it even possible to get max luck? I can only think of a few items that bring it up, and they don't do much. The Lucky Foot doesn't even bring you up to two bars. The only way I can think of is with fire + habit + pill bottle + pyromaniac + 99 bombs shenanigans.

I've had it reach 6 on the stat screens through using a ton of Pills in a Chest run I think.
The effect was beyond noticeable. Every chest I opened basically threw up consumables in my face and flooded half the room.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just traded my last and only red heart in a devil room, betting on Guppy's Collar to save my rear end...and it worked :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

HGH posted:

Huh, I thought Mom's Knife was sorta weak with Tammy's Head/Isaac's Tears? Or do these two items do damage differently?

I think Isaac's Tears was considering how long I held down the button to charge as individual tears, or maybe counted them after I shot the knife. It was recharging six bars in about two shots.

I think Tammy's Head is weaker in that combo, because the knives are smaller. The tears were scaled up in size with my damage.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 16, 2014