Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Excellent! Fun fact, they built two prototypes. The first one shot itself with one of the lower turrets, the second snapped in half crossing a ravine!

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
And here I was thinking Metal Slug had no basis in reality.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Sunshine posted:

:golfclap:

Also found this clown car:

Where can I get more info on these ridiculous things? Search by image isn't giving anything useful.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

:golfclap:

Also found this clown car:

Realtalk: Does the driver seat have enough clearance to contain my huge throbbing erection?

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
In before "Yeah it has a 2 inch clearance harr harr harr"

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

I do apologize but.. That design right there is screaming at me telling me that this was made by Warhammer 40k's Ork's I mean its got scaffolding everywhere and turrets galore!.. Give it a bit of red paint and stick a war crazed ork in there and ya good

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I found the infographic!

Also, speaking of the KV-2...

Wikipedia posted:

When Operation Barbarossa began, the Red Army was equipped with 508 new KV tanks.[23] So effective was its armour that the Germans were incapable of destroying it with their tanks or anti-tank weapons and had to rely on 88 mm anti-aircraft guns (flak) or 105 mm guns to knock them out. Only a few of these tanks were used to good effect, but one event of the Battle of Raseiniai was a notable example. On 23–24 June, a single KV-2 effectively pinned down elements of the 6th Panzer Division – the spearhead of Panzergruppe 4 – for a full day at the bridgeheads of the Dubysa river near Raseiniai, Lithuania, playing a prominent role in delaying the German advance on Leningrad and destroying around two dozen German tanks.[24]

The reason it has that huge goofy turret is because it was equipped with a 155mm howitzer.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

This looks like something straight out of My Tank Is Fight!

How someone looked at this design, and didn't immediately throw it in the trash, I will never know.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
It's pretty well agreed upon that those tanks never existed.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The FCM F1 French tank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCM_F1

With tanks it's amusing how often the lines between badass and dumbass cross over.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guns on guns on guns. That looks like an engineer sat down one day and painstakingly redrew his sons drawings of "Mega Super Tank" to surprise him on his birthday or something.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Since this is now PYF stupid tank, the T-35!

Five turrets. One 76mm cannon, two 45mm cannons, and six machine guns.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owf2e7Xtx70

Them crazy Russkies are restoring a T-35

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Here it is in action!

Nastyman has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Nov 7, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That's such bullshit. That player is sacrificing so many points by not jumping on the straight and 45 degree cannonballs.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Man, it's really not the same without the pure black background the NES version had.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Speaking of stupid tanks, I read something about another godawful tank design in some thread some time ago. If I remember right, the thing got to it's prototype phase but the plug was finally pulled because literally almost nothing worked, the automatic targeting systems started following birds / random people etc. Can't remember it's name - anyone have a clue which one I'm talking about?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Dropbear posted:

Speaking of stupid tanks, I read something about another godawful tank design in some thread some time ago. If I remember right, the thing got to it's prototype phase but the plug was finally pulled because literally almost nothing worked, the automatic targeting systems started following birds / random people etc. Can't remember it's name - anyone have a clue which one I'm talking about?

The Sergeant York AA system?

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Yup, looks like that was it - cheers!

"One of the early models is reported to have locked onto a latrine fan, mistaking its return for a moving target of low-priority." Impressive.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

This looks like something straight out of My Tank Is Fight!

How someone looked at this design, and didn't immediately throw it in the trash, I will never know.

Tanks were very new at that point so nobody really knew much better. Plus experimental anything always has a lot of experimenting and at the time there weren't fancy things like desktop computers to run simulations. Aside from that the last major arms race was "who can build the most really loving enormous battleships" in the form of dreadnoughts, where everybody was trying to make the most absurdly huge boats they could with as many goddamned guns as they could fit on it. Hence names like "land battleship." They were applying naval thought to it and, at the time, "bigger, heavier things with more guns = always better." Aside from that ship-mounted guns were the biggest, best thing available so there was a major initiative to get them on land. Rail guns (no, not the magnetic ones - these were huge rear end guns that were mounted on rail cars and run around on rail roads) were a huge deal but had trouble in that if you hosed up the railroad the gun became useless. Consider that rail lines were always something that was heavily targeted in that railroads were obscenely important and you can see how that was an issue. Howitzers and huge, immobile artillery were also A Thing at that point but fixed artillery that you couldn't take anywhere wasn't as useful as in WW1 when no army could push very far or take ground quickly. In WW2 poo poo was different, largely thanks to tanks. So, of course, you had engineers trying to cram all these things onto tanks because, well, a tread vehicle can go basically anywhere with relative impunity as far as land went. Didn't need to gently caress around with oceans, you could take them very far inland, and if the roads and rails were blasted into crates then you just drove right over the loving crater and blasted some poo poo. Only when the prototypes came out and failed horribly did anybody realize it was a terrible idea. It also turned out that having the best tanks wasn't the important part but rather having a gently caress ton of them was. One that comes to mind is the Sherman tank; the U.S. liked the design and produced tens of thousands of the drat things and threw them everywhere. Even so, during early WW2 tanks were relatively small but as the war went on they just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Makes sense that "stupidly huge tank that turned out to be useless" got at least to the prototype stage.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The White Death, Simo Häyhä

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Man spends tewn years landing tiny object on rock hurtling through space

:allears:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
A dude so badass they made a heavy metal song about him. (albeit a very poppy one)

My favourite part about him is that he survived being shot in the face with a goddamned explosive bullet and then the war ended on the same day he regained consciousness.

I'm Finnish myself and I usually make a point of not participating in the nationalistic circle-jerking over our tussle with the Soviets, but Häyhä was just... god drat.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Notice the iron sights? Guy no-scoped 5 dudes a day for a hundred days. And lived 96 years.

:black101:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

JoelJoel posted:

Notice the iron sights? Guy no-scoped 5 dudes a day for a hundred days. And lived 96 years.

:black101:

180,000° no scope.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Captain Lavender posted:

180,000° no scope.
-30°C no scope.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Question Mark Mound posted:

-30°C no scope.

While chewing snow.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

They don't say, "If you want to win, hire a Finn" for nothing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nordick posted:

I'm Finnish myself and I usually make a point of not participating in the nationalistic circle-jerking over our tussle with the Soviets, but Häyhä was just... god drat.

To be perfectly honest the Finnish tussle with the Soviets is one of the few wars that deserves a circlejerk. Like Say Nothing said:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hypha posted:

While chewing snow.

To elaborate (for the one person who hasn't heard of this guy, read the Cracked article, or clicked on the Wikipedia link), he did this so his breath wouldn't smoke and give away his position. He used iron sights for the same reason: he was trying to prevent sunlight from reflecting off of a scope.

Plus, he managed to mow down another 200+ Russians with a submachine gun.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Let's see the picture after they turn into giant kick-rear end robots.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I don't know if this is common knowledge but all 3 of those vehicles have Lambourghini V12 engines in them, the boat has two!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

:ohdear: He's not going to make it!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dear Prudence posted:

:ohdear: He's not going to make it!

That's what I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmzsTOMMYFg

He totally did though.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
gently caress, nm.

Here, have another badass motorcycle related picture instead:

ubergnu has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Nov 17, 2014

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I saw one of those Lambo SUV's on the highway near my house back in the day. I thought it was a hummer at first and then when I pulled up alongside it, it was a Lamborghini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ubergnu posted:

gently caress, nm.

Here, have another badass motorcycle related picture instead:

Badass bike, you say?