Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Emron posted:

My dad is a 33rd so obviously I'm in on it :getin:

It turns out my Lodge's WM, who's working on getting me through the offices, is actually pretty high up. Obviously this makes me a 33rd's protege and thus in on it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

In the last note of my "all lectures in my first year" adventure, I will be giving the EA, my last one left, on the 17th. In the process, I've given five FCs, three MMs, and been named my lodge's lecture coach/official lecturer.

I'm proud, but it comes with its downsides. I'm now the default guy for whenever we need a lecture, and the other guys tend to think that means I know all the words to everything (I don't yet).

However, this means that I get to choose my own visual aid for the lectures, which is really great.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I was very excited and learning the EA lecture back in Ohio, but in Ohio we were allowed to craft the lecture appropriately and so on. In Maryland we have to use the slides/powerpoints, and it kind of took the wind out from my sails in that regard, because the person who gave it to me was very good, and did it a certain way similar to how it's done in Scotland. Eh, I think it's sad not giving lecturers discretion within limitations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Again, the idea of using slides is foreign to my Masonic experience. We use real, tactile objects and painted TBs here.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

I was very excited and learning the EA lecture back in Ohio, but in Ohio we were allowed to craft the lecture appropriately and so on. In Maryland we have to use the slides/powerpoints, and it kind of took the wind out from my sails in that regard, because the person who gave it to me was very good, and did it a certain way similar to how it's done in Scotland. Eh, I think it's sad not giving lecturers discretion within limitations.

My dream is to get my craft team to agree to pantomime the first half of the MM lecture as my visual aid.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
I hope Texas reciprocates.

quote:

Prince Hall GL of Texas Agrees to Visitation
News is coming out of Texas that the MW Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Texas has voted at their mid-winter session to allow visitation from the mainstream Grand Lodge of Texas AF&AM, and is waiting to see if it is reciprocated.

Several years ago, the two grand lodges agreed to recognize each other without visitation. If this gets accomplished, it will be a big step forward in the South.

http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2014/11/prince-hall-gl-of-texas-agrees-to.html

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
I've been a MM for about 3 years. I moved to Texas last year, and got invited to a lodge meeting by a neighbor who is getting his FC tonight. He said he already checked in with his WM and they are excited to meet me. I checking in with my Mother lodge secretary and he said that since I was up on my dues, it was no problem.

I've never visited another lodge outside of a GL visitation where I already knew multiple people, so have never been "tested" before. Is it strange to be nervous?

Also, given recent "apron" disussion. In the GL of MA we always had a pile of aprons laying around. Noone wore their lambskin. Should I be bringing my lambskin if in the TX jurisdiction?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

lord1234 posted:

I've been a MM for about 3 years. I moved to Texas last year, and got invited to a lodge meeting by a neighbor who is getting his FC tonight. He said he already checked in with his WM and they are excited to meet me. I checking in with my Mother lodge secretary and he said that since I was up on my dues, it was no problem.

I've never visited another lodge outside of a GL visitation where I already knew multiple people, so have never been "tested" before. Is it strange to be nervous?

Also, given recent "apron" disussion. In the GL of MA we always had a pile of aprons laying around. Noone wore their lambskin. Should I be bringing my lambskin if in the TX jurisdiction?

Being nervous is fine, but remember the key part. They're Brethren, and have very likely been in the same spot as you before. Just take it slow and steady, remember that which you were taught.

Enjoy the visitation, and have a great time.

Regarding the apron, in Scotland (once MM has been attained) an apron specific to the lodge is purchased (or borrowed) and worn instead so I can't help you there. Do as you'd do in your mother lodge, is the advice I usually give and receive.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

lord1234 posted:

So long as your dues card is current you generally have nothing to worry about.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Still weirds me the hell out you yanks don't wear your proper apron.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Wouldn't want to stain my pure and spotless snow white emblem of innocence with use!

At least mine is actually made of lambskin, apparently not all are.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

If you visit another lodge you go with as much regalia as you have with you. We had visitors with a small suitcase filled and we had them who just happened to be in town and had to borrow an apron and gloves. No matter how you look, you will still be a Br:. and don't let anyone tell you different.

Some time back, a guy at our lodge had a stroke and his thinking is not really there anymore. We make sure we have an apron and gloves ready for him because he shows up but has no idea what week it is and if he should bring his regalia. I am Tyler for my lodge and recently, before opening but after everybody entered, he got confused and walked out again guided by another Br:. but right when I was asked if we were good to start I heard them coming up the stairs again so I deviated from my lines and asked for a short moment. Because that is what you do. Things resumed normally when they got seated again and all was good.

So don't care to much about what you wear, care about who you bring to visit.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
What is Freemasonry classified as legally in the U.S.? Non-profit and tax exempt? I'm sure conspiracy theorists go nuts over the latter, if that's the case. Does the legal classification differ from country to country?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Neither, although some of the Mason-run charities are probably non-profits.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
But surely there's some sort of legal label applied to Freemasonry as a whole?

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

But surely there's some sort of legal label applied to Freemasonry as a whole?

Freemasonry varies in its structure from State to State in America and from country to country elsewhere. So there isn't really a way to label Freemasonry as a whole.

In the United States Grand Lodges and Lodges are generally considered 501 C (10) organizations by the IRS, insofar as I am aware - I'm sure that there are exceptions. This is because Masonry isn't generally an insurance or benefit organization. I'm sure that certain Masonic Charity Foundations and bodies have other classifications.

I have no idea what the appendent bodies are classed as. I'd guess 501 C (10) except maybe Shrine International.

Refer to http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Other-Non-Profits/Fraternal-Societies for the IRS guidelines.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm pretty sure I remember both the Lodge I was Raised in and the lodge I transferred to stating they weren't NPOs at all.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
From my limited experience they tend to be chapters of the larger grand lodge incorporation, often with holding companies to manage the grounds if those grounds aren't owned by the grand lodge. The grand lodges tend to be non-profit 501(c)s that do often get tax exempt status, but not always. The various charitable organizations are also held in trusts and incorporated separately.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember both the Lodge I was Raised in and the lodge I transferred to stating they weren't NPOs at all.

Yeah things do vary from place to place. As a Lodge Treasurer in New Mexico we filed as a 501 C (10), by Form 990-N because our assets were well under $50k.

Here in Montana I think its the same, but I'll ask my Lodge Treasurer next time I see him. The lodge I belong to now has a lot more in the way of financial assets, including cash, investments and majority ownership of the building we meet in, so I know the tax return is substantially more complicated.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
My lodge is an incorporated association, legally.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

In the Netherlands all lodges have their own status but most are set up in such a way that any contributions and gifts can be tax deducted, so my dues are considered charity for tax reasons.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative
Did the Scottish Rite Membership class this weekend, 8 degrees in 2 days. Now to try to catch the rest. A couple valleys in Ohio seem to be trying the DVDs of degrees, but I'm going to try and see them all acted out.

There was a contingent of members of the local Prince Hall Valley, who came to observe the degrees and see how they're different. Apparently the Cincinnati Valley does a program during each year where the degrees are presented by each for all members to see. I think that will be an interesting experience.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

I'm currently at the 12th degree in Scottish Rite, and it sounds crazy to me to hear you guys talking about DVDs. We've got a bunch of guys acting it out and it's awesome. I'm enjoying it very much. Apparently the final series of degrees at the Scottish Rite building in Hamilton ON is incredible; I can't wait.
The first night when we did the 4th to the 6th an older gent came up to ask if I was the Flying Fortress who attended such and such Junior High School. Turns out he's my old Principal. Pretty cool to meet him as an adult and be able to have fascinating conversations.
I love Masonry.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Aaaand now I'm filling in as Senior Deacon. That was a fast promotion.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
During the initiation ceremony, you're asked to take an oath on a holy book of your choice, correct? What if you believe in a supreme deity, but not any specific holy book? (i.e. pantheism or deism)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Noctis Horrendae posted:

During the initiation ceremony, you're asked to take an oath on a holy book of your choice, correct? What if you believe in a supreme deity, but not any specific holy book? (i.e. pantheism or deism)

Then the book/Bible is simply a metaphorical symbol for the Sacred Law by which you conduct your actions.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Then the book/Bible is simply a metaphorical symbol for the Sacred Law by which you conduct your actions.

Ah, so the oath isn't explicitly based on/adjusted to the holy book/religion of your choosing?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
No, every mam takes the same oath. At least, within the same jurisdiction.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Correct. The book is always referred to as the "Volume of Sacred Law," no matter what book it actually is.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Flying Fortress posted:

I'm currently at the 12th degree in Scottish Rite, and it sounds crazy to me to hear you guys talking about DVDs. We've got a bunch of guys acting it out and it's awesome.

I think declining membership is taking its toll. The class was 23 people, adding to a valley of 5000 men. Looking at past class pictures, they averaged 200+, and peak membership was 18,000. I'm in Ohio, which is supposedly has the highest per capita membership in Freemasonry, so I can imagine many valleys can't pull a degree team together.

I'm going to avoid DVDs, I think I'd rather wait years to see it acted out.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Not trying to be a jerk about it :(
Last year the local Lodge of Perfection had 15+ candidates; this year I'm one of three. It makes me feel honoured that these guys go through so much effort for such a small group.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

Didn't take any offense, I'm lamenting the loss with you. I did get to be the exemplar for the 18th which was a cool experience. The productions took 90+ people, so it is a pretty overwhelming feeling all these guys did this to assure I could see the work.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Brothers, I've accomplished my goal! After being raised to the sublime degree of master mason last December, I have now memorized and returned the EA (once), FC (5 times), and MM (3 times) lectures in ritual performance at open lodge!

That said, gently caress the EA lecture.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Emron posted:

Brothers, I've accomplished my goal! After being raised to the sublime degree of master mason last December, I have now memorized and returned the EA (once), FC (5 times), and MM (3 times) lectures in ritual performance at open lodge!

That said, gently caress the EA lecture.

That's super impressive!

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, my Lodge treasurer has agreed to sponsor me for Royal Arch.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Loomer posted:

Well, my Lodge treasurer has agreed to sponsor me for Royal Arch.

Congratulations, the Royal Arch degree is one of my favorites - truly beautiful, and full of a lot of symbolism.

Tonight I was installed as Sovereign Master of my Allied Masonic Degrees council. For those that aren't aware, it's an invitation-only body attached to the York Rite and limited to 27 members per council, whose job it is to keep alive some of the lesser-known - but not clandestine - degrees in Freemasonry. We usually try to put on one degree a year, and invite all of the statewide AMD councils to come and enjoy. I think for my year in the East, we'll do the Grand Tilers of Solomon degree, that'd be interesting. This year we did Excellent Master, and last year we did Royal Ark Mariner (which I believe exists in the UK, but not so much here in the States).

Either way, it's certainly an honor, and I look forward to promoting Masonic knowledge.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm still a way out from it - need to be an MM for 2 years here first - but between him and my lodge's WM I'm in. So it's exciting to have that sorted out so early, and an honour that they're comfortable putting in their word for me.

EDIT: RAM is a part of the progression through the Red Lodge here. We do Mark Master, E.M., Royal Arch, Cryptics, and the RCN degrees. Personally (it's not York Rite or Red Lodge, but still) I'd like to attend the Operatives sometime but they're even rarer here than in England. Also hoping to join the Monitors and AASR eventually.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 20, 2014

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
Looking to become a mason. Currently living in San Antonio, TX

I have about 8 lodges in my general area. What do I look for in a lodge? Just whatever is close to me?

Do you just awkwardly show up and start badgering members about joining?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Make a phone call or send an email or letter to the lodge secretary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Looking to become a mason. Currently living in San Antonio, TX

I have about 8 lodges in my general area. What do I look for in a lodge? Just whatever is close to me?

Do you just awkwardly show up and start badgering members about joining?

Talk with the Secretary as mentioned for sure.

As for what to look for:

They meet on nights you're available and are people you would like to hang out with. Even better if they inspire you.