Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Adventue Time bowed to the will of Tumblr, there's precedent for it. Once you hit critical mass of fanfiction on the internet the creators have no choice but to give the stamp of approval

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Pomp posted:

This post is hilarious, because I know from first hand experience that a lesbian couple could be openly making out and straight people will still assume they're just straight friends

When Korra and Asami start making out on screen then you can post this and I won't roll my eyes.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Darth Walrus posted:

Asami would still make more character sense for the obligatory Nickelodeon romance than any other option currently presented (unless I'm missing anyone obvious).

Uh, Prince Wu. Obviously.

E: I'm just hoping Korra realizes her feelings for her just as Mako tries to get back with Asami so we can get more of that sweet sweet love triangle action everyone loves so much.
But for real though, at least it would be deserved attention and not more Archie comics bull poo poo.

I'm not sure what's more upsetting to me, the fact that two girls can't be close friends without people jumping to lesbian conclusions or that we all "know" there's no way we'll see a gay relationship in a cartoon aimed at young teenagers (you know, the age when most people realize they're gay)

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 16, 2014

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I get all that! What I'm saying is that it's both bad, lazy writing and makes for an incredibly boring season. If it wasn't for Boulin and Varrick I think most people would have lost interest at this point.

I am on your side with this one. Yeah, Korra being PTSD and recovering and taking a long time with it makes perfect logical sense, both in terms of realism and in being true to the character. It's also boring to watch. And Korra's story this season doesn't feel like it's even covering new ground in the show. We already had a bad guy she couldn't beat up, and a problem that she couldn't solve by fighting, and losing her fighting abilities, and being crushingly defeated and losing all hope and self-esteem, then recovering from that, in season 1. While it's a more true-to-life now than in season 1, I don't really find it compelling or interesting. At least, not yet.

Season 3 is kinda like the Dark Knight: cool powerful anarchist villain, relatively tightly written and compelling. Season 4 is like the Dark Knight Rises: straightforward villain, boring Rocky-esque hero recovery story, some good moments, not overall bad or anything but not the high point of the series.

Complaints about that stuff aside I still like this season overall. I'm surprised Mako wasn't more amped about Korra's ability to spirit-find people magically. As the Avatar that ability is extremely useful, and as a cop it would be a godsend.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Uh, Prince Wu. Obviously.

E: I'm just hoping Korra realizes her feelings for her just as Mako tries to get back with Asami so we can get more of that sweet sweet love triangle action everyone loves so much.
But for real though, at least it would be deserved attention and not more Archie comics bull poo poo.

I'm not sure what's more upsetting to me, the fact that two girls can't be close friends without people jumping to lesbian conclusions or that we all "know" there's no way we'll see a gay relationship in a cartoon aimed at young teenagers (you know, the age when most people realize they're gay)

Hey, don't blame me, blame American network television. The people who run that stuff are hella conservative, and Korra just doesn't seem like the sort of show they're willing to take risks with despite how badly it's been treated and despite how tempting it must be for the show-runners to go 'gently caress it, burn everything down'. Admittedly, this might have something to do with how safe they've been playing the show's themes and politics so far despite the occasional glimpses towards more controversial territory. And yes, it does suck that gay relationships in shows for kids and teenagers (outside the safe reserve of a Very Special Episode featuring minor characters) are still seen as a risk by execs, but I'm talking about what is, not what ought to be.

It'd be great if I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 16, 2014

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

Torquemadras posted:

I thought Wu would turn out to be annoying, but he's so lovably wimpish, it's great. I especially like how absolutely no-one is putting up with his nonsense, yet he keeps on truckin'.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sgt. Politeness posted:

As for the first, I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that Asami has a little aggressive about keeping close to Korra and supporting her since the Season 3 finale, and for the little blush that Korra had when Asami hugged her. I mean, what gay dude hasn't telegraphed the whole "Um we should totally hang out :3: " thing when you're attracted to a person of the same gender but you aren't sure if they're gay/bicurious or not?

As for the second, baby steps.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I'm against retconning Korra and Asami into lesbians but it'd be amazing just for the fact that Mako was such a lovely boyfriend that BOTH of his ex-girlfriends found solace in each other's embrace.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

PiedPiper posted:

I'm against retconning Korra and Asami into lesbians but it'd be amazing just for the fact that Mako was such a lovely boyfriend that BOTH of his ex-girlfriends found solace in each other's embrace.

Pretty sure that would count as character development, not a retcon.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Bisexuality exists, y'all.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Bisexuality exists, y'all.

And a lot of gay people's firsts aren't of the same sex.

That being said, I wasn't denying that something may be implied in those character interactions just saying I've seen just as much crushing between (non closeted) straight men

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's very cute that Korra blushed giving Asami a compliment, and not when Asami complimented her.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

PiedPiper posted:

All from being raised by a pack of cops in the woods.

:smith:

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Jackard posted:

All from being raised by a pack of cops in the woods.

:smith:

Mako was growing up in the shadow of his little brother who was destined to become lavabender, the raddest kind of bender on earth.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Random Guy 1: "Nice beard bro."
Random Guy 2: "Thanks dude!"

"Liiike oh my gawd, did you hear that? Are they like gay? It would be so cute if they were like gay." - tumblr fanfiction writers (aka you guys)

You guys are worse than the Supernatural fanfiction "writers".

Every time I come in here, it's the same thing. "Is Korra gay?" No, she's not gay. When will you people ever learn?

If you genuinely think she's gay, I challenge you to toxx on it.

6 months probation for me if it turns out Korra is gay, :toxx:. It's freaking Nickelodeon show, obviously she's not going to be gay, but if you have the balls to take me up on this toxx, I commend you cowboy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh shut up you unbelievable baby. We've gone weeks and dozens of pages without the topic coming up, and it's been discussed very calmly when it is, even mostly agreeing with your claim that it won't happen because it's a Nick show. The subject only becomes lovely when posts like yours happen, just as it did the last time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Oh shut up you unbelievable baby. We've gone weeks and dozens of pages without the topic coming up, and it's been discussed very calmly when it is, even mostly agreeing with your claim that it won't happen because it's a Nick show. The subject only becomes lovely when posts like yours happen, just as it did the last time.

no u

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm personally hoping the season turns into a Korra/Asami/Mako/Bolin/Prince Wu love pentagon. Just handle Kuvira offscreen next episode so we can get to the juicy stuff.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ravane posted:

You guys are worse than the Supernatural fanfiction "writers"
Yes, compare us to people who write stories with graphic incest. That's almost as great as saying that Albus Dumbledore is the best example of how to write an LGBT character.

Like literally no one is saying "KORRA AND ASAMI ARE TOTALLY GONNA END UP TOGETHER," just, "Hey, if the writers decide to end the series with Korra in a romantic relationship, it would make the most sense for it to be with Asami. Also that would be pretty cool to have a main character in a Nickelodeon show be bisexual."

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 16, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I argue about relationships in cartoons because I care about the fates of fictional people.

I am not being ironic I mean that sincerely.

Mako being such a bad boyfriend that two heroines realize they're actually bisexual would be pretty hilarious, and I hope Bolin points it out to Mako as soon as possible and never stops.

I do like that Mako was a very business-like cop when we see him actually doing cop stuff. It very much fits his incredibly stiff personality.

I like that Wu is nearly unbreakably optimistic about stuff while also being very honest in his assessment of his own abilities. I like that he thinks Mako was raised in the woods by a wild pack of cops. It's a great contrast with Bolin, who is getting some much needed character development after the stagnation of Season 3. I like that Bolin is finally getting a sense of responsibility for his actions and their wider implications. There's no way the Bolin who believed he had to go back to help the group of fire- and water-benders would help out a triad gang by being muscle like he did in Season 1.

I like that Mako and Bolin's character development is an echo of the development Lin and Suyin have undergone from childhood to adulthood. I can't see the two of them refusing to speak for 40 years or however long it was, partially because they've both learned to rely on one another as orphan brothers, and partially because they aren't simply copies of their older counterparts. Mako's flaw is that he can be remarkably selfish in personal relationships and Bolin's is that he's quite happy to let others do his thinking for him, while Lin simply has an unbendable platinum metal rod up her butt and Suyin sees the rule-of-law as a thing that matters to boring people.

Frankly I think that everyone in this show is MUCH more interesting than when they were first introduced.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

VanSandman posted:

Mako being such a bad boyfriend that two heroines realize they're actually bisexual would be pretty hilarious, and I hope Bolin points it out to Mako as soon as possible and never stops.
This is 100% the entire reason I find a potential Korra/Asami relationship appealing

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hauldren Collider posted:

When Korra and Asami start making out on screen then you can post this and I won't roll my eyes.

You missed the point of the post by a mile.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Come on, guys, enough of this shippping and more having fun with the show.

The last episode was good. I hope more stuff happens in later episodes though. This all feels like something building up to something really big, but I hope the climax happens in Republic City.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

VanSandman posted:

I hope Bolin points it out to Mako as soon as possible and never stops.
YES!!

VanSandman posted:

I like that Mako and Bolin's character development is an echo of the development Lin and Suyin have undergone from childhood to adulthood
reposting

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 16, 2014

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

ufarn posted:

The dialogue for this episode was some of the worst I've ever seen, though. I mean, it's not often I notice the dialogue in the first place, but they really need to step it up for the next episodes.

Try listening to the conversation leading up to and during the kidnapping.

i was thinking the same thing. it's partially the voice actors' fault but i would have phoned it in if i was them too

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

VanSandman posted:

I like that Wu is nearly unbreakably optimistic about stuff while also being very honest in his assessment of his own abilities. I like that he thinks Mako was raised in the woods by a wild pack of cops. It's a great contrast with Bolin, who is getting some much needed character development after the stagnation of Season 3. I like that Bolin is finally getting a sense of responsibility for his actions and their wider implications. There's no way the Bolin who believed he had to go back to help the group of fire- and water-benders would help out a triad gang by being muscle like he did in Season 1.

They do a good job of getting across that Wu is a genuinely nice person deep down, he's just also sheltered and spoiled and doesn't actually know how to interact with people as equals. I think if Wu had been given the throne when he was supposed to have gotten it, he would have just turned into crazy Earth Queen 2.0. Since he's still sticking around as a character I assume he'll probably be crowned Earth King at the end, so I'm interested to see where his time with Mako takes him character-wise.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Like literally no one is saying "KORRA AND ASAMI ARE TOTALLY GONNA END UP TOGETHER," just, "Hey, if the writers decide to end the series with Korra in a romantic relationship, it would make the most sense for it to be with Asami."

Y'all act like you've never seen a best friend before, jaws all on the floor like Bolin and Mako came out the closet door.

It would not make any sense for Korra to be with Asami. Not one bit at all. The avatar world is not yet ready for gay people.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I want Wu to become the next big mover star for Varrick.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No possible development, or lack thereof, between those two characters could conceivably be as bad as these posts about it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bongo Bill posted:

No possible development, or lack thereof, between those two characters could conceivably be as bad as these posts about it.

Well yeah, but when the bar is quite literally sitting on the ground, it's a bit hard to not clear it.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I for one think it's great that the show producers are going down this direction after the great injustice of never shipping Aang and Sokka right after Aang slapped some rocks into a guy on fire jet feet or something. The poetic beauty of the lineage of airbenders succumbing to their greatest of teachings, love, was what the series truly needed. And I thought we had it, too, when a whole episode was dedicated to the obvious foreshadowing of Sokka learning to use his 'sword'. To the people who think it's unrealstic, allow me to direct you to the fact that as long as Korra wrestles her inner demons, her 'bending' is all sorts of out of shape. Proof, if ever, that she has to relearn 'bending'. All the clues are right in front of us, folks.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ernie. posted:

I for one think it's great that the show producers are going down this direction after the great injustice of never shipping Aang and Sokka right after Aang slapped some rocks into a guy on fire jet feet or something. The poetic beauty of the lineage of airbenders succumbing to their greatest of teachings, love, was what the series truly needed. And I thought we had it, too, when a whole episode was dedicated to the obvious foreshadowing of Sokka learning to use his 'sword'. To the people who think it's unrealstic, allow me to direct you to the fact that as long as Korra wrestles her inner demons, her 'bending' is all sorts of out of shape. Proof, if ever, that she has to relearn 'bending'. All the clues are right in front of us, folks.
Actually Aang/Zuko was the gay ship du jour in original Avatar

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

JT Jag posted:

You get that Avatarcest outta this thread!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I mean, yeah, the footwork necessary for them to dance with dragons hinted at some serious, understated chemistry. The parallels of Aang and Zuko losing all their parental figures in horrible ways and finding comfort in each other's embraces would be a fair, if naive assumption, of how love truly blossoms. But where you've gone wrong is the fact that this is a children's show, and no love interest can ever be 'the bad boy'. Once Aang saved Sokka by learning how to earthbend just for him, their connection was secure for an eternity.

Which of us here has seen this following scene and not thought about how great it would be if Aang and Sokka ripped their clothes off right there and then:

And can I remind you that this happened when Aang 'burnt' Katara? Sokka was literally furious that if Aang had any flame in him, it wasn't directed towards himself.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This latest episode I think had Korra use airbending in the most creative ways she's ever used it aside from "Pawnch pawnch pawnch!".

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
Haha yes I am very upset about cartoons.

No one is saying that the characters should or will be written in to a relationship, no one is talking about this great fan fiction they just read or their head canons or whatever the gently caress. Just that 2 characters could be written in to a relationship (as far as story is concerned) and that's interesting and worth discussing I think.

I mean, these are 2 female characters with some depth beyond boy crazy and rivals or whatever (I totally expected them to be rivals when they introduced Asami).

I feel like between this and Adventure Time we're very close to seeing gay characters in children's media which will be an interesting time indeed.

E: ^^^^ yeah I like when she slammed the two guys on the train in to the ceiling, it was very much an Aang move. I've been enjoying this season, every bit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ravane posted:

The avatar world is not yet ready for gay people.
Stop projecting.

Aren't you the one who boasted about Dumbledore and Grindelwald being some sort of apex iconic gays? The characters who have shown maybe one-sixth the interaction or affection of Korra and Asami, who are never stated in the book as anything other than good friends, whose relationship was only described through flashbacks? Seems that your definition of what is or isn't credible subtext depends on whether it'll give you less visible LGBT characters.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 17, 2014

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
Can we go back to talking about Hitler quotients?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Screw romance. I just want Season 1 Asami to come back. She was actually a very useful member of the team back then, both with her martial prowess and her command over tech tools and weapons. She added value. Now she's just a pretty face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hitler hated gay folks. Kuvira is Hitler. Korra fights Kuvira.

gently caress y'all, this shite is clear as day :haw:

• Locked thread