Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It is entirely possible to be too subtle in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Tell me about it

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

Regarde Aduck posted:

They often put Nationalist somewhere in their name. Also they have weird pipe dreams that can only be realised at the expense of everyone around them.
weren't you the guy who called for those treacherous scotch to be killed by angry northerners in the event of a yes vote :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Burqa King posted:

Tell me about it

Parody and satire don't work so well when your posting is indistinguishable from that of an actual UKIP supporter. Poe's Law, dude.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Parody and satire don't work so well when your posting is indistinguishable from that of an actual UKIP supporter a complete shithead. Poe's Law, dude.

FTFY

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The two are somewhat interchangable

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

All UKIP supporters are shitheads but not all shitheads are UKIP supporters.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Wtf I'm a labour supporter!! I just appreciate ukip taking the Tory party to the right and alienating the urban middle classes. Sheesh you guys, just...sheesh

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
sometimes I want to go "for gently caress sakes Burqa King put some effort into it" and then it lands every single loving time.

by which i mean can't argue with results

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

Burqa King posted:

Wtf I'm a labour supporter!! I just appreciate ukip taking the Tory party to the right and alienating the urban middle classes. Sheesh you guys, just...sheesh

Say that again when we've got Prime minister Boris and deputy Prime minister Nigel running the country.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Margaret Thatcher posted:

Say that again when we've got Prime minister Boris and deputy Prime minister Nigel running the country.

I have heard this a number of times and tbh I have imagined a whole horrible future based around this scenario. It is sort of Carry On Hunger Games with extra racism

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is not true. Labour and the Lib Dems propose to run a surplus on the current budget, i.e. the budget excluding investment spending, and to introduce new wealth/high income taxes. The Tories propose to run a surplus on the overall budget, i.e. to make the entirety of government expenditure less than the tax take, while cutting taxes. The Labour/Lib Dem plans in principle permit unlimited borrowing to fund investment and increase the tax take to fund other government expenditure; the Tory plan requires dramatic cuts to both general government expenditure and investment.

If the Labour plan 'in principle' permits unlimited borrowing, why do they explicitly say:

quote:

The next Labour Government will need to address the cost-of-living crisis facing families and reform our economy for the long-term. We will do so at a time when money is tight. So Labour’s manifesto will have no proposals for new spending paid for by additional borrowing. There will be no spending commitments without saying where the money is coming from – we will not make promises we cannot keep and cannot afford.

Now I agree there's some weasel wording there that means they could borrow in practice without technically contradicting any of that, but that's always the case - even the Tories have increased borrowing while decrying it. And earlier pledges have never bound governments anyway. But if we look at what they're actually saying, it's all tough talk tough decisions gotta get that debt 'n' deficit down!

LemonDrizzle posted:

They're completely different other than insofar as the people who've presented them have all used the words 'balance' and 'budget' in close proximity to one-another.

Isn't this sort of the point though? They're all using the same language, the same justifications, the same presuppositions. Even if the manifesto details differ, or the ~secret plans~ are to go full RoboLenin once in power, what the public are being presented with is a vision that follows the Tory approach in spirit if not the specific implementation. So they're still committed to cuts, raising retirement ages, reducing the national debt (i.e. borrowing less in future). They're talking the same talk. For people who accept all these arguments, why should they choose Labour's slower version over Gideon "ARE PLAN IS WORKING" Osborne's?

I mean look at this:

quote:

We will apply five overarching principles through our approach to spending:

1. We will use public money more efficiently – and seek efficiencies in every area
of government spending
2. We will use all departmental budgets to strengthen the economy –supporting
growth, job creation, innovation and exports
3. We will ensure greater fairness in the impact of spending – and will prioritise
spending that prevents future problems
4. At the same time as increasing efficiency, the quality and experience of public
services must improve
– offering the speed, simplicity and responsiveness that
people now expect
5. We will strengthen accountability and transparency across government – with
clear efficiency incentives for all departments

Which of the big three parties isn't saying all this? Where's the message of an alternative?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's a bit odd that you want to dismiss the substance of Labour's spending plans in favour of the spin.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Labour may as well match Tory economic plans while going for crowd friendly measures like energy bill freezes and staying in EU which actually most people want outside of flyblown seaside towns that will be underwater in 15 years anyway

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Ludicro posted:

Indeed, the best way to stop fascism is to become just like them. :thumbsup:

In case you were being serious bashing the fash whenever the fash start flexing their muscles and preferably before is the right thing to do. Even Hitler agreed "Only one thing could have stopped our movement - if our adversaries had understood its principle and from the first day smashed with the utmost brutality the nucleus of our new movement."

Fascist movements are complicated but interrupting the 'attacking selected scapegoats and feeling powerful' phase is effective. A large part of why the EDL street movement died is because antifa nicked their flags and slapped em, with larger counter protests ensuring they didnt feel empowered on their marches.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

It's a bit odd that you want to dismiss the substance of Labour's spending plans in favour of the spin.

Which bit?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Which bit?

Your entire post?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Your entire post?

Even the bits where I outlined aspects of their plans?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Even the bits where I outlined aspects of their plans?

Yes those bits where you used bold text to add your own emphasis.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Yes those bits where you used bold text to add your own emphasis.

Or were they copied verbatim from Labour's spending review document with the original formatting? :eyepop:
Really makes you think!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baka kaba posted:

Or were they copied verbatim from Labour's spending review document with the original formatting? :eyepop:
Really makes you think!

Hence:

Pissflaps posted:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So Band Aid 30 is coming out tomorrow and they've finally got rid of that awful line. It's now "Well, tonight, we're reaching out and touching you".

That said, Liberia is a country formed by former American slaves, so they probably do know it's Christmas as much as the Ethiopians do.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What was wrong with the original line?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Wait did they get rid of the "thank God it's them instead of you" line?

E: Thats the most important line in the song

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
I think they took out that verse about crushing scots, too.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Phoon posted:

Wait did they get rid of the "thank God it's them instead of you" line?

Yeah. It's kinda hosed up, to the point that Bono and Geldof allegedly had an argument back in 1984 about it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ I take it Geldof was the one who wanted it out? Since it's Bono's special line and he always overdoes it

So explain to me how their :airquote:"five overarching principles":airquote: which define their approach to spending policy 'spin' differ in any significant way from the Tories' narrative on public spending. Or their pledges to bring down the deficit, reduce borrowing, raise the retirement age, cut child benefit in real terms? Having to make 'tough decisions' (i.e. things that will negatively affect the majority).

This is what the election is going to be fought on - Labour supporters will vote Labour. Potential swing voters will see the same rhetoric and the same justifications for the same 'cut to cut the deficit' approach. Leftist voters will see Labour offering a slightly neutered version of the Tory perspective, following them down the same path of austerity. It's not exactly rallying support with an alternative vision for the future

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

Yeah. It's kinda hosed up, to the point that Bono and Geldof allegedly had an argument back in 1984 about it.

What's hosed up about it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

That said, Liberia is a country formed by former American slaves, so they probably do know it's Christmas as much as the Ethiopians do.
Yeah, I always thought that having a song called 'Do they Know it's Christmas?' about probably the oldest Christian country in the world was pretty patronizing. Then again the whole thing smacked of Orientalist white-mans-burden bullshit, not only in words but possibly also in results.

This is the only good version:
http://www2.b3ta.com/banned-aid/
(nsfw for cartoon cocks and b3ta)

Shelf Adventure posted:

I think they took out that verse about crushing scots, too.
That's why Regarde Aduck will not be singing on this version.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Wasn't the point that people in their position might be forgiven for having not realised it's christmas given there was a famine going on, rather than accusing them of being ignorant of the significance of the 25th December in the Christian calendar? That was my assumption anyway.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

baka kaba posted:

^^^ I take it Geldof was the one who wanted it out? Since it's Bono's special line and he always overdoes it

Geldof wanted it in specifically to appeal to middle class feelings of white guilt. The whole song has always had a kind of creepy white saviour feel to it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TinTower posted:

Geldof wanted it in specifically to appeal to middle class feelings of white guilt. The whole song has always had a kind of creepy white saviour feel to it.

That's weird then, I always thought Bono was fiercely protective of it, to the point where he'll show up in any version that's ever recorded to belt it out with tasteless amounts of reverb

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

It's an angry/accusatory line that also establishes that the circumstances of your birth are luck of the draw and removing it is a cowardly move imo.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pissflaps posted:

Wasn't the point that people in their position might be forgiven for having not realised it's christmas given there was a famine going on, rather than accusing them of being ignorant of the significance of the 25th December in the Christian calendar? That was my assumption anyway.

That, or that it wasn't right that anyone should be seen to be starving at time of year dedicated to consumerist and gastronomic excess because it makes us feel bad and puts us off our dinner, so let's throw money at it until we don't feel bad any more.

So exactly the same as most charity drives, more or less.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

i thought it was because, oh I don't know, they're in the middle of subsaharan loving africa whose position on the equator makes it practically impossible to tell if its winter let alone christmas

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Burqa King posted:

i thought it was because, oh I don't know, they're in the middle of subsaharan loving africa whose position on the equator makes it practically impossible to tell if its winter let alone christmas

I'd hate to celebrate Christmas in a hot country. Which is ironic considering Jesus was, in fact, born in a hot country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Burqa King posted:

No, that's the 'There won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime' line. The Ethiopian Orthodox church has been able to figure out when Christmas was since before half of the New Testament was written (it's on Tahsas 29th or the 7th of January this year). I don't think they care much about snow.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
perhaps they would if someone were to tell them that snow, melted, distilled and decanted into a suitable receptacle, becomes the refreshing drink we know as water

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
I can't tell whether you're objecting to the plans or the verbiage used to present them, but the five overarching principles you seem upset about are basically platitudes - you'd want to spend your money efficiently and have a strong economy no matter how much or how little you planned to borrow, for example.

As for why you might want a slow deficit/debt reduction plan rather than a fast one, consider a case where a man comes to a doctor because he's worried about his high blood pressure. The doctor says "Well, you could adjust your diet, lose some weight, and start exercising. Over a few months, that'll bring your blood pressure down to a healthy range. Alternatively, I can cut your stupid loving head off right now and bring your blood pressure down to zero almost instantly."

If that doesn't explain it satisfactorily, you could read this and the references therein: http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/uk-fiscal-policy-from-2015.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

baka kaba posted:

That's weird then, I always thought Bono was fiercely protective of it, to the point where he'll show up in any version that's ever recorded to belt it out with tasteless amounts of reverb

he's not on Band Aid II

• Locked thread