Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I've done this swim for the last 5 years. Easy excellents and my time has improved every PRT. I'm a tall fucker with big feet though, so it works out well. The EOD guys I used to test with would all wear matching USA flag banana hammocks with matching swim caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

We had a department event today and I actually have fun. I had fun in the Navy. Strange feeling.

I'm sorry you have lost your mind. It's always sad when a shipmate goes insane.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

bengy81 posted:

and she was kind of fugly, even for Navy standards.

Literally not possible...just depends how long you've been underway without a port visit...

buttplug fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 16, 2014

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

buttplug posted:

edit: I don't read gud.

I reverse engineer arrays for fun you loving bitch

e: his original post lol: That's not true. Depends on the array. Aaaaand the rest of the discussion would have to be high-side.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Also I passed my weigh-in because I could stretch for that extra half inch, get my height rounded up, and earn five more pounds. :btroll:

So I always knew that the tape test is inaccurate but until this cycle I had no idea how bad it really was. We had a guy fail at 24% body fat in the spring cycle. He lost 15 pounds and due to the way he lost it, they measured him at 13% body fat this cycle. That was literally impossible. Not only was he obviously not 13% body fat, but at his weight he would have had to lose over 20 pounds of fat to go from 24 - 13.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

justice4trayvawn posted:

I reverse engineer arrays for fun you loving bitch

e: his original post lol: That's not true. Depends on the array. Aaaaand the rest of the discussion would have to be high-side.

Because it's true, but I didn't think the specifics belonged on this form.

edit now that I've googled it: When I was getting my SWO pin I was on one of like 5 ships in the Navy that had this: http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/mfta-the-us-navys-new-towed-array-for-naval-detection-04956/ and it was in CO's standing orders never to go above 15kts with the array out because "you could rupture it" because the thing is basically a giant rubber condom filled with magic liquid and some other fancy poo poo. I only remembered that because I literally had the standing orders memorized verbatim at one point. *shrugs*

buttplug fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 16, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

So I always knew that the tape test is inaccurate but until this cycle I had no idea how bad it really was. We had a guy fail at 24% body fat in the spring cycle. He lost 15 pounds and due to the way he lost it, they measured him at 13% body fat this cycle. That was literally impossible. Not only was he obviously not 13% body fat, but at his weight he would have had to lose over 20 pounds of fat to go from 24 - 13.

The first time I got close to going over on the tape test they had me at 21%. I had a trainer measure me with calipers. She did a seven site test and came up with 14%.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Our tape test is bullshit, but it's a universal standard and you can teach any retard how to do it. We taped a woman that had failed the previous PFA, and had GAINED 10 pounds, but passed because her neck got fatter and her waist got a bit skinnier. I will say that the tape is especially unfair for black women, they just have bigger hips. It needs to be updated.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
The tape test is garbage and always has been. Ultimately it comes down to genetics for folks who are over the max weight: either you naturally have a fat neck and a skinny waist (because you store fat elsewhere) or you don't.

I've always found it easier to just be below max weight, because the tape test is variable and I've seen people get measured during courtesy weigh-ins and pass, and then fail the next day because of a different person taking the measurement. It's stupid and inaccurate.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
We always had the folks do the sauna and seaweed wrap thing to try and pass the tape but all that happened was their bodies were sweaty as gently caress and I had to touch them to measure. Also one time there was a blood drive and people would give blood and come right to weigh in. As a civilian I'm fat as gently caress now but jesus it's not that hard to maintain standards and I could totally get back to passing poo poo in a few months.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, I was astonished when I found out the formula for the tape. Like, really, it's just flat out waist minus neck? And that's supposed to be equal for all sizes and body types?

I'm usually under the max weight (officially, always under, so far), I just need to lose a few more pounds that I picked up during a month in Hawaii. loving loco moco.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Yoo git dat tree finah poi???

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

buttplug posted:

edit now that I've googled it: When I was getting my SWO pin I was on one of like 5 ships in the Navy that had this: http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/mfta-the-us-navys-new-towed-array-for-naval-detection-04956/ and it was in CO's standing orders never to go above 15kts with the array out because "you could rupture it" because the thing is basically a giant rubber condom filled with magic liquid and some other fancy poo poo. I only remembered that because I literally had the standing orders memorized verbatim at one point. *shrugs*

I'm loling at the idea of rupturing an array by going fast. loving SWOs.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

buttplug posted:

A towed array with loving active sonar?

loving skimmers.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

ded posted:

A towed array with loving active sonar?

loving skimmers.

MFTA is actually pretty loving baller.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm loling at the idea of rupturing an array by going fast. loving SWOs.

Remember, he's not a SWO...

He's just an rear end in a top hat.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I don't remember the mfta having an active componenet, but that was prior to 2008 where that articles claims they went into production.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The one we had didn't, though it was also the first deployed version of MFTA.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 16, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I don't know dick about acoustic detection, active or otherwise, but you guys do, please don't put anything on the internet that might have a red sticker on it somewhere.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

orange juche posted:

I don't know dick about acoustic detection, active or otherwise, but you guys do, please don't put anything on the internet that might have a red sticker on it somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0JaXfKj68

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Boon posted:

Remember, he's not a SWO...

He's just an rear end in a top hat.

I'm more referring to whatever dipshit CO wrote those standing orders.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Laranzu posted:

I'm sorry you have lost your mind. It's always sad when a shipmate goes insane.

But all we did was play flag football and eat burgers and dogs! And everyone brought their actual dogs, and at no point did a single person talk about work, evals, or any Navy bullshit. It was kind of cool.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm more referring to whatever dipshit CO wrote those standing orders.

He's in major command now...your community, not mine boi! :derp:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

He's in major command now...your community, not mine boi! :derp:

I am literally shocked that a risk averse, technically ignorant officer was promoted to major command in the SWO community!

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 17, 2014

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Averse. Sir.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

DustyNuts posted:

Averse. Sir.

poo poo. You got me.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

ManMythLegend posted:

I am literally shocked that a risk averse, technically ignorant officer was promoted to major command in the SWO community!

Well I never... next we'll be hearing that this guy puts no faith in his subordinate commanders and micromanages every minor movement or technical issue.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Holy poo poo I am human again. Still a huge diggit though. We finished deployment with the flyback team gone and still of 5-15 with an augment team :whatup:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

Why stick around then? Why didn't you put in a lat xfer package before your DH rides?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TsarAleksi posted:

Well I never... next we'll be hearing that this guy puts no faith in his subordinate commanders and micromanages every minor movement or technical issue.

Wait, are you implying that an incompetent commander would project his inability, inadequacy, and fear of being in over his head onto his subordinates, becoming tyrannical and micromanaging to the point of paralyzing real decision making?

Unthinkable!

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Stultus Maximus posted:

Wait, are you implying that an incompetent commander would project his inability, inadequacy, and fear of being in over his head onto his subordinates, becoming tyrannical and micromanaging to the point of paralyzing real decision making?

Unthinkable!

At least they let of steam by drunkenly groping their crew regardless of rank and sometimes gender. Unless there are trafficked sex workers around - then it's on like Donkey Kong!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

Why stick around then? Why didn't you put in a lat xfer package before your DH rides?

lol, I did actually. SWO community wouldn't release me when I was a DIVO. My year group got really hosed when it came to LAT XFERs because of the MSR waivers they went overboard on the year groups right before mine.

I stayed on because at the time it made sense financially. It's hard to turn down a free masters degree. Really hard.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

lol, I did actually. SWO community wouldn't release me when I was a DIVO. My year group got really hosed when it came to LAT XFERs because of the MSR waivers they went overboard on the year groups right before mine.

I stayed on because at the time it made sense financially. It's hard to turn down a free masters degree. Really hard.

Wouldn't you have gotten a free masters anyway with that phat post-9/11 GI bill?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Wouldn't you have gotten a free masters anyway with that phat post-9/11 GI bill?

No because I wouldn't have been eligible yet. Eligibility time for officers doesn't start until after the completion of their minimum service commitment following whatever bachelor's program the government paid for, USNA or ROTC.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ManMythLegend posted:

No because I wouldn't have been eligible yet. Eligibility time for officers doesn't start until after the completion of their minimum service commitment following whatever bachelor's program the government paid for, USNA or ROTC.

Eligible YET. So yes.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

poopkitty posted:

Eligible YET. So yes.

Yes, I'm eligible now if that's what you mean.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
When I get out next year I'll only get 70 or 80% of the benefits though I'll likely swing a reserve billet at NSAWC for active that'll take me to 90%. I tried to push my time here but because the SWO community sucks they aren't extending shore tours.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I would have absolutely took DH tours to take early command. I think that's the only way that it would be worth it.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

How long do early out chits usually take to get approved? I might just put one in after the holidays, they're still accepting like 150+ corpsmen for it. I might also have a job right when I get out, just have to talk to the HR person for the prison hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would have absolutely took DH tours to take early command. I think that's the only way that it would be worth it.

Not going to lie, that factored into my calculus at the time. I knew that I was in a pretty good position after my two DIVO tours, and that I was going to get a masters and JPME I knocked out ashore to set me up further.

I guess I'll let you guys know if I thought it was worth it in a few years.

• Locked thread