Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I just remembered a few things.

The first is a game that plays a ton like Dungeon Master, played it in the early/mid 90s I think. The player characters were modern kids IIRC and the enemy theme skewed very heavily towards oversized bugs though that might've just been for the early levels. I think it was a windowed 3.1x/95 game.

The other is an archery game with a big Robin Hood theme, you moved up and down and fired on moving targets like balloons etc.

I believe both of these were shareware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Mehuyael posted:

Maybe one of the Lords of the Realm games? Might have been the second.

The second one was it, thanks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zaphod42 posted:

We really need to get an OP with Chip's Challenge, Castle of the Winds, Scorched Earth, Odell Down Under, and a few other commonly asked games along with screenshots.

Would save some trouble.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Edutainment game my school's computer lab had in grade school in the late 90s. There was a reef, comprising nine screens in a tic-tac-toe arrangement. The player could play as different kinds of fish, and ate things to score points. There was also a custom-fish-builder (really) that had a sort of RPG point buy for fish stats and special powers like electric eel shocks.

I remember that, if you didn't put any points into anything, you got a fish that could eat coral, which was great because you couldn't run out and it never moved. So I had the high score by endlessly clicking the coral. Which in retrospect is really depressing.

:colbert: I rest my case.

a medical mystery posted:

The other is an archery game with a big Robin Hood theme, you moved up and down and fired on moving targets like balloons etc.

I believe both of these were shareware.

?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 12, 2014

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Here is a fun one. Several fan made horror games. I remember the names but not the author. All were named after their respective films. There was one for Freddy, Jason, and Michael Myers. The only things I could remember was you played as the killers and that two of them used unlicensed samplings of Pantera and Rammstein on a loop for the credits.

As dumb and easy as these games were, they were amusing and I'd love to find them again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A late 80's or early 90's arcade game, similar in gameplay to Cabal but with some differences. My memory is fuzzy but the camera was definitely closer to the player. All I can recall really is a stage where you're inside an empty high rise firing at a terminator type robot. The pillars supporting the floors may or may not have been destructible.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Freakazoid_ posted:

A late 80's or early 90's arcade game, similar in gameplay to Cabal but with some differences. My memory is fuzzy but the camera was definitely closer to the player. All I can recall really is a stage where you're inside an empty high rise firing at a terminator type robot. The pillars supporting the floors may or may not have been destructible.

Dynamite Duke?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU-efY-FWDA&t=3m45s

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

:colbert: I rest my case.

?

That's definitely the second, thanks.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Skunkrocker posted:

Here is a fun one. Several fan made horror games. I remember the names but not the author. All were named after their respective films. There was one for Freddy, Jason, and Michael Myers. The only things I could remember was you played as the killers and that two of them used unlicensed samplings of Pantera and Rammstein on a loop for the credits.

As dumb and easy as these games were, they were amusing and I'd love to find them again.

Some research has lead me to "Fista Games", who did indeed produce games for all three titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5BSmL1GmXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgjFXf_4WtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkRFMw43_A

I cannot confirm the audio as I am at work, but it seems to fit your very vague criteria. If they are not, can you please be more specific about the games themselves? Visuals? FMV, MS paint, pixel art, terrible 3D models, a vague year?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I think that's the one, although I pretty much misremembered the boss. Thanks, you guys are good.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Caitlin posted:

Some research has lead me to "Fista Games", who did indeed produce games for all three titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5BSmL1GmXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgjFXf_4WtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkRFMw43_A

I cannot confirm the audio as I am at work, but it seems to fit your very vague criteria. If they are not, can you please be more specific about the games themselves? Visuals? FMV, MS paint, pixel art, terrible 3D models, a vague year?

Oh that is loving them. I recognize that Michael sprite anywhere. Thanks man!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
An 80's arcade shmup. Possibly a fevered dream of a 6 year old child. Can't really remember how it looked like, only ever saw it once or twice, but it had this gimmick where your upgrades not only added more shots to your attack, but made your ship wider and wider. It was ridiculous to look at past the first upgrade and I don't remember how many upgrades it took to reach maximum width (it seemed like a lot).

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Freakazoid_ posted:

An 80's arcade shmup. Possibly a fevered dream of a 6 year old child. Can't really remember how it looked like, only ever saw it once or twice, but it had this gimmick where your upgrades not only added more shots to your attack, but made your ship wider and wider. It was ridiculous to look at past the first upgrade and I don't remember how many upgrades it took to reach maximum width (it seemed like a lot).

My first guess is Halley's Comet, though additional details would help if this is not it.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8064

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7atimkypz8

Like, vertical or horizontal orientation?

Also, Galaga '88 has the super-sized triple ship.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 14, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me of a vertical scrolling shooter I saw once as an arcade machine as a kid. The main thing I remember about it was that on your last (or maybe it was second to last) life you were given this gigantic ship with extra firepower...of course, as a kid I was poo poo at dodging so I still got shot down instantly. But I thought it was awesome.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Caitlin posted:

My first guess is Halley's Comet, though additional details would help if this is not it.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8064

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7atimkypz8

Like, vertical or horizontal orientation?

Also, Galaga '88 has the super-sized triple ship.

I don't think either of those are it. I'm pretty certain it was vertical orientation. The upgrades are literally added to the sides of the ship, making the ship ridiculously wide, far more so than the ship in galaga '88. I'm sorry I can't remember much more. It pretty much blended with every other shmup with a space ship at the time.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't think either of those are it. I'm pretty certain it was vertical orientation. The upgrades are literally added to the sides of the ship, making the ship ridiculously wide, far more so than the ship in galaga '88. I'm sorry I can't remember much more. It pretty much blended with every other shmup with a space ship at the time.

Could it have been for the NES? I remember some NES game where if your ship was stolen by aliens you would lose a life, but the stolen ship would stay on the screen. If you managed to get it back, you would not get the life back, but the second ship would join with your ship side-by-side and you two would fire together.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Freakazoid_ posted:

If it's definitely vertical check out maybe Gaplus, Bermuda Triangle, the Alpha Mission games and the Darwin games. Gaplus is "Galaga 3" but you can become absurdly wide by getting like five or six guys added on at once. The two Darwin games have your ship transform in a wide variety of ways as you get power ups. In Bermuda Triangle your ship is a huge battle cruiser type thing and the power ups are extra small jets that fly in formation with you, you can get pretty large in it. Same with the Alpha Mission games, you start as a small normal sized ship for this sort of game but can become much larger as you get power ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY35xY6tRE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xL3laAPM3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgCeJrWlbD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuaCHfrvNW8

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Early/mid 90s. 3d game where you start out in front of a mansion with a gate and you're a guy with a briefcase and you enter the front garden/driveway and guys shoot you and theres a garden maze of some description and a clown looks down at you from a high window. And I think if you leave the premises you get hit by a car or the suitcase blows up.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Nierbo posted:

Early/mid 90s. 3d game where you start out in front of a mansion with a gate and you're a guy with a briefcase and you enter the front garden/driveway and guys shoot you and theres a garden maze of some description and a clown looks down at you from a high window. And I think if you leave the premises you get hit by a car or the suitcase blows up.

Potentially an original 'Alone in the Dark' game? A lot of that fits bar an exploding suitcase from what I remember.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yep thats the one. Thankyou for solving many years of wondering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MoexKP_lR0

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

If it's definitely vertical check out maybe Gaplus, Bermuda Triangle, the Alpha Mission games and the Darwin games. Gaplus is "Galaga 3" but you can become absurdly wide by getting like five or six guys added on at once. The two Darwin games have your ship transform in a wide variety of ways as you get power ups. In Bermuda Triangle your ship is a huge battle cruiser type thing and the power ups are extra small jets that fly in formation with you, you can get pretty large in it. Same with the Alpha Mission games, you start as a small normal sized ship for this sort of game but can become much larger as you get power ups.

I gave KLOV a shot and the game that best fits my loose memories was probably Slap Fight. Here it is in action. It's about as stupidly wide as I remember, but the graphics are not what I had remembered. Probably due to only seeing it once or twice at a very young age.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

So speaking of space-based shmups, there's one that I remember seeing in an arcade in Japan in the mid-90s that escapes me. The one thing I remember about it was that it was set up in a theater-type room with an enormous screen and a bunch of seats and control stations for players. It allowed for a ton of simultaneous players as well--like at least 10 I think. I'm pretty sure it was named after one of the classic 80s arcade space games like Space Invaders or Xevious, but I can't find any reference to it.

Also on the topic of mid-90s Japanese arcades, there was a sidescrolling beat-em-up like Double Dragon. The only thing I remember was that you had a "kill all enemies" special ability that summoned an enormous microwave. A caped superhero would fly out of the microwave, throw all the onscreen enemies in it, and then cook them.

Both of these would date from around 1995-1996 or so since that's when I saw them.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Terra Cresta was like that, with the added bonus of making your ship even bigger when you activated your super weapon. However, your ship didn't get too big until later upgrades, the first few were pretty minor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh, on the subject of shmups, an arcade shmup which had both vertical and horizontally-scrolling segments. Normally the game would be vertically-scrolling, but every once in awhile there'd be a giant hole in the ground that you could fly into for a horizontally-scrolling section. I think this was one of those games where you had separate buttons for air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons, too.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, on the subject of shmups, an arcade shmup which had both vertical and horizontally-scrolling segments. Normally the game would be vertically-scrolling, but every once in awhile there'd be a giant hole in the ground that you could fly into for a horizontally-scrolling section. I think this was one of those games where you had separate buttons for air-to-air and air-to-ground weapons, too.

Life Force?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

That would likely be Legendary Wings.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

Life Force?

No, in this game the transitions were optional. Like, there'd be a giant explosion that'd create a hole in the ground, and you could either fly into the hole (thus starting a horizontal section) or continue on the surface.

quote:

Legendary Wings
Nope, it was a ship-based shmup. I guess not a space ship (or at least the first level was set on a planet), but definitely not dudes with wings.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

So speaking of space-based shmups, there's one that I remember seeing in an arcade in Japan in the mid-90s that escapes me. The one thing I remember about it was that it was set up in a theater-type room with an enormous screen and a bunch of seats and control stations for players. It allowed for a ton of simultaneous players as well--like at least 10 I think. I'm pretty sure it was named after one of the classic 80s arcade space games like Space Invaders or Xevious, but I can't find any reference to it.

Also on the topic of mid-90s Japanese arcades, there was a sidescrolling beat-em-up like Double Dragon. The only thing I remember was that you had a "kill all enemies" special ability that summoned an enormous microwave. A caped superhero would fly out of the microwave, throw all the onscreen enemies in it, and then cook them.

Both of these would date from around 1995-1996 or so since that's when I saw them.

is the first one Galaxian 3? http://www.klov.net/game_detail.php?game_id=7889

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

No, in this game the transitions were optional. Like, there'd be a giant explosion that'd create a hole in the ground, and you could either fly into the hole (thus starting a horizontal section) or continue on the surface.

Nope, it was a ship-based shmup. I guess not a space ship (or at least the first level was set on a planet), but definitely not dudes with wings.
poo poo, I know exactly the game you're talking about. Let me see if I can remember it...

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Side Arms, is my guess.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_Dyne_Side_Arms

boof fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 17, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pablo Gigante posted:

poo poo, I know exactly the game you're talking about. Let me see if I can remember it...

Did the player sprite change perspective when the areas changed? It might be Acrobat Mission or Ark Area. Possibly MagMax or Atomic Robo-Kid.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

ponzicar posted:

is the first one Galaxian 3?

I'd second the chances of that. I played it a few times in Blackpool in England, but the sub-title stood out more - 'Project Dragoon'.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is exactly what it was. Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Did the player sprite change perspective when the areas changed? It might be Acrobat Mission or Ark Area. Possibly MagMax or Atomic Robo-Kid.

Yes, the perspective changed -- I think all of the sprites (except for generic stuff like explosions) were different between the top-down and side-scrolling sections. Acrobat Mission looks a bit too glitzy; this was an older game. It didn't have a "level select" like Ark Area. MagMax (and Hyper Dyne Side Arms) are both mecha, not ships. Atomic Robo-Kid isn't a continuous scroller, from the looks of things.

I'm almost positive I can remember seeing a giant circular explosion, after which there was a hole in the ground with large text saying "IN" and an arrow. Also if you stayed underground in the first level, eventually you'd get forced topside because the boss was only in the vertical-scrolling section.

Oh, and there was a bit in the vertical-scrolling with a long vertical crack down the middle of the screen, which some kind of battleship or installation was built into. Again, this was all in the first level, since I never made it very far in the game.

The gameplay was very traditional scrolling shmup, really -- fly around, grab powerups that directly affected your systems (i.e. no point-buy system like in Gradius), the only really special characteristic was the ability to switch between vertical and horizontal scrolling within a single level.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Magmax has you as a ship looking thing and you bolt on the rest of the parts as you find them. It's been a while -- I had a copy as a kid and traded it for another game with one of my friends -- but that's my recollection, anyway.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hey I think I found the game. It's called Terra Force and it's by Nichibutsu who also made Mag Max. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjLNijBuPw

It's got the giant rift with a big installation in the first level and giant circular explosions making a crater with a flashing IN sign so you can enter the underground section of the level.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That's it! Awesome, thanks for tracking it down. Looks like it's aged better than many shmups, though it's still hewing pretty close to oldschool design principles.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Two for you this time, since the thread has dug up some of the most esoteric poo poo I can think of armed with only the vaguest of instructions.
Both C64 games. The first one should be the easiest, I think it was a sequel to a similar game. You controlled a tennis ball bouncing around from a top down perspective, and the gameplay was mostly centered around avoiding stuff like lava or enemies.

The second one was a spaceship game, also from a top-down perspective. I remember the awesome title screen music. The gameplay mostly consisted of shooting down turrets of different kinds. I think one of them was a cross that fired homing shots, as well as waves of enemies. Not much to go on, I know, but I know it was similar to Lightforce.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Both C64 games. The first one should be the easiest, I think it was a sequel to a similar game. You controlled a tennis ball bouncing around from a top down perspective, and the gameplay was mostly centered around avoiding stuff like lava or enemies.
Sounds like one of the Bounder games.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MMAgCh posted:

Sounds like one of the Bounder games.

REbounder, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Two for you this time, since the thread has dug up some of the most esoteric poo poo I can think of armed with only the vaguest of instructions.

The second one was a spaceship game, also from a top-down perspective. I remember the awesome title screen music. The gameplay mostly consisted of shooting down turrets of different kinds. I think one of them was a cross that fired homing shots, as well as waves of enemies. Not much to go on, I know, but I know it was similar to Lightforce.

Is the first one Crillion?

Well, I guess not.