Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
oh man i found a driver's E30 sport seat in good condition on ebay for $100+ shipping, it's black and the rest of my interior is tan but i don't really care, a working seat for that price is too good to pass up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I figured out how to program the garage door opener on my F30 I feel like a champion.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So I just stripped out the rear of the interior of the 318iS.

Now I just need to rip the subframe out, drop the fuel tank and redo the fuel lines, put some poly bushings in and I'm ready for the rollbar and harnesses.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I'm looking at a beautiful 2001 330ci coupe with only 34,000 km on it. Two issues are that the airbag light is on and the steering wheel is loose. Are these horrifically expensive fixes or indicative of serious problems?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Goon posted:

I'm looking at a beautiful 2001 330ci coupe with only 34,000 km on it. Two issues are that the airbag light is on and the steering wheel is loose. Are these horrifically expensive fixes or indicative of serious problems?

That seems strange for a car with such low mileage.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The Goon posted:

We can't tell you, only a mechanic can. An airbag light could be as simple as a sensor that cost a few bucks, or it could be a several thousand dollar fix.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MrChips posted:

We can't tell you, only a mechanic can. An airbag light could be as simple as a sensor that cost a few bucks, or it could be a several thousand dollar fix.

Sure, except the two together mean the car was in an accident or someone tried fixing the issue and failed.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Woot fixed all the window regulators in the beater 5. Sadly the passenger door one looks to be poo poo quality so I'm sure it won't last long, hopefully it'll make it through the fall.

rscott posted:

oh man i found a driver's E30 sport seat in good condition on ebay for $100+ shipping, it's black and the rest of my interior is tan but i don't really care, a working seat for that price is too good to pass up

How expensive is it to ship seats? I think I have 2 tan sport seats... I think they're from an e30, not 100% sure though as they came with my Volvo.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

I figured out how to program the garage door opener on my F30 I feel like a champion.

As well you should. On my F10 it took six hours on the phone with a combination of BMW Genius, HomeLink tech support, and the company who made my garage door opener in 1997. After I literally made an appointment to have BMW replace the entire rear view mirror assembly I found a pdf document on the rear end end of the Internet that described a procedure that worked in about fifteen minutes. First world problems don't have nothing on BMW problems.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mafoose posted:

Woot fixed all the window regulators in the beater 5. Sadly the passenger door one looks to be poo poo quality so I'm sure it won't last long, hopefully it'll make it through the fall.

How expensive is it to ship seats? I think I have 2 tan sport seats... I think they're from an e30, not 100% sure though as they came with my Volvo.

I'm interesting in the drivers seat if it isn't broken like most are and you want to ship it. :v:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It's a hatchback but it's a completely different car built on the mini platform. I don't think there's any model room for a4 door sedan with only 7.5 inches in length between the 2 coupe and 3 sedan as it is. I'm biased by owning an F30 but I think the 2 looks too squashed and stumpy

That doesn't look like a hatchback to me, 1-Series Sedan

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm interesting in the drivers seat if it isn't broken like most are and you want to ship it. :v:

Dude you're like 2 hours away. I'll dig it out from storage this week.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mafoose posted:

Dude you're like 2 hours away. I'll dig it out from storage this week.

Aren't you in the Phoenix area too? :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Honestly, though, these are both stock sizes of tires for an E39:

265/40-18 on the left and 215/60-16 on the right. What a difference. :smith:

Skinny snow tires suck, but they are awesome in fresh snow. 3" of fresh, wet snow here and the car is beastly in it.

DSC kicks in way, way too soon, though.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Aren't you in the Phoenix area too? :v:

Tucson!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

That doesn't look like a hatchback to me, 1-Series Sedan

I was talking about the 2 series Active Tourer but maybe I misunderstood whatever post I was responding to

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

meatpimp posted:

Skinny snow tires suck, but they are awesome in fresh snow. 3" of fresh, wet snow here and the car is beastly in it.

DSC kicks in way, way too soon, though.

Having never lived up north I always assumed skinny snows would be better just from seeing all the skinny tires they run in the snow in WRC.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I think he meant they suck unless you're actually on snow.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

revmoo posted:

I think he meant they suck unless you're actually on snow.

Yep, I live in an area that has active snow on the roads about 10% of the time from now until March. Winter tires are well-worth the cost even with that low percentage of actual snowy travel because you're always ready for the worst that the weather throws at you, and it keeps wear off your Summer set. From what I saw today, an E39 with skinny 215 tires will be excellent in the snow.

But no fun when there's no snow.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I just bought a CPO X5. Didn't notice until I brought it home that A) one of the keyless fobs is the wrong fob (looks very similar, but it's definitely different, and won't open/start the vehicle), and B) the retractable cargo cover is missing. The non-BMW dealership I bought it from has been, uh, slow to respond. Assuming I continue to get the runaround from them (they are 330 miles away), can either of those two things be replaced under warranty, as it's Certified Pre-Owned?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Lincoln posted:

I just bought a CPO X5. Didn't notice until I brought it home that A) one of the keyless fobs is the wrong fob (looks very similar, but it's definitely different, and won't open/start the vehicle), and B) the retractable cargo cover is missing. The non-BMW dealership I bought it from has been, uh, slow to respond. Assuming I continue to get the runaround from them (they are 330 miles away), can either of those two things be replaced under warranty, as it's Certified Pre-Owned?

Is it BMW CPO, or dealership "CPO"? The BMW dealer won't do poo poo with a missing keyfob, and the missing cargo cover is something that wouldn't be covered, either.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think a non BMW dealership can CPO a BMW.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think a non BMW dealership can CPO a BMW.

That's why I put CPO in quotes. Certified Pre-Owned is not a dealership exclusive thing and a common scammy thing is to say that something's CPO, but not by the manufacturer, which makes the "certification" practically worthless.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I was talking about the 2 series Active Tourer but maybe I misunderstood whatever post I was responding to

I think I keep confusing the new naming scheme too :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Don't worry it's not worth remembering the lovely models

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
Well that was fast. I put my E30 up for sale on Craigslist Saturday at 10pm. Had someone show up at 4 on Sunday. He drove it, asked some questions, made an offer. I accepted, he gave me $500 in cash down and came back today with the rest. Goodbye old friend :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Brock Landers posted:

Well that was fast. I put my E30 up for sale on Craigslist Saturday at 10pm. Had someone show up at 4 on Sunday. He drove it, asked some questions, made an offer. I accepted, he gave me $500 in cash down and came back today with the rest. Goodbye old friend :(

What did you have and what did it end up going for? :) Kinda tempted to move to an E36 M3 buuuut...

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

So thread, I've just bought this car:

A 2001 330Ci, 34,000km (21k miles), full options including leather sports seats and sunroof. Price was about $5500.

Apart from some scratches and trim coming off, the only major issue is the airbag light being on. As a BMW newbie, is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Wow that is one seriously nice E46. Good buy. That price makes me irrationally angry and jealous.

If you don't have receipts for a recent cooling system overhaul then you should redo the whole thing; water pump, thermostat, belts, hoses, radiator, surge tank. It's all considered wear items. Use a EMP Stewart pump and OEM for the rest.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

The Goon posted:

So thread, I've just bought this car:

A 2001 330Ci, 34,000km (21k miles), full options including leather sports seats and sunroof. Price was about $5500.

Apart from some scratches and trim coming off, the only major issue is the airbag light being on. As a BMW newbie, is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Where do you live that a 2001 Japanese import is legal? Just curious.

Edit: assuming its an import because it looks identical to most JDM auction house photos.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Crustashio posted:

Where do you live that a 2001 Japanese import is legal? Just curious.

In Japan!

revmoo posted:

Wow that is one seriously nice E46. Good buy. That price makes me irrationally angry and jealous.

If you don't have receipts for a recent cooling system overhaul then you should redo the whole thing; water pump, thermostat, belts, hoses, radiator, surge tank. It's all considered wear items. Use a EMP Stewart pump and OEM for the rest.

That....that sounds like it'll cost more than what I actually paid for the car :smith:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

The Goon posted:

In Japan!

That....that sounds like it'll cost more than what I actually paid for the car :smith:

Probably be about 450 or so out the door including the Stewart pump.

EDIT: If you're in Japan the combination of cheaper car availability and cooler climate may make some of this unnecessary. It's a good investment in the long-term reliability of your car but you need to weigh how long you plan on keeping it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The car only has 21k miles on it, I doubt the GDCS is anywhere near making GBS threads the bed.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's also 13 going on 14 years old and probably all original

The Goon posted:

In Japan!

It's like a 500 bucks in parts and about 6 hours of labor

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kenshin posted:

The car only has 21k miles on it, I doubt the GDCS is anywhere near making GBS threads the bed.

Sure, but it's still 15 years old.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Sure, but it's still 15 years old.

Right, but are any of those parts ones that get brittle with age? I'm not so sure about that but I'm not super familiar with the E46 GDCS

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
My parents E38 wont start. I tried boosting it and everything boots up fine with no warnings, but even after an extended period it still wouldn't turn over. my thoughts are I blew the fuse while boosting, but I know these cars are prone to electrical gremlins. Thoughts?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Kenshin posted:

Right, but are any of those parts ones that get brittle with age? I'm not so sure about that but I'm not super familiar with the E46 GDCS

Expansion tank, radiator end caps, water pump impeller. By the time you replace those, you might as well add the hoses and thermostat for a complete GDCS overhaul.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Those plastic parts die every 5-7 years, start replacing them. Airbag light might just need to be cleared after someone switched steering wheels or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Send me a picture of the seat whenever you get around to it and we shall see. :)