Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Unkempt posted:

Well, I got myself an airbrush too.

And then this happened -

Followed by these -

Which ended up like this

Quite happy with that.

One question - is there a less glossy equivalent to Future? It's still a bit shiny but I'm not sure what to use for a top coat, I really don't want to gently caress it up now.
Is that the 1/72 version? If so that's a pretty spectacular job on a dog of a kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Arquinsiel posted:

Is that the 1/72 version? If so that's a pretty spectacular job on a dog of a kit.

Yeah, it's the 1/72nd Mk2a. Quite a new kit though, I thought it wasn't bad - are you maybe thinking of one of the other million 1/72 Spitfires airfix has made?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Unkempt posted:

Yeah, it's the 1/72nd Mk2a. Quite a new kit though, I thought it wasn't bad - are you maybe thinking of one of the other million 1/72 Spitfires airfix has made?
I *think* that's the one they made to replace the original in their anniversary "reissue" of the MkI/MkIIa, but it's possible they made yet another new one, since the one I got four or five years back was terrible and missing parts on the instructions etc.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The level of precision in your latest updates is astounding, it seems you've very quickly improved since the first ship (which was already great to begin with.) Looking forward to more updates!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Where's the best place to order paints from in the US? I found what looked like a nice hobby shop near me, but their paint selection was tiny and the amount of dust suggested it hadn't been touched recently.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

I *think* that's the one they made to replace the original in their anniversary "reissue" of the MkI/MkIIa, but it's possible they made yet another new one, since the one I got four or five years back was terrible and missing parts on the instructions etc.

I built one last year. It was fine till I hosed up the painting then lost a wheel. It's the same basic kit as their 1/2a, 1a, 5b, prXIX, and F.22

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Deeters posted:

Where's the best place to order paints from in the US? I found what looked like a nice hobby shop near me, but their paint selection was tiny and the amount of dust suggested it hadn't been touched recently.

I'd also be interested in learning this. I love using mr. color paints but my hobby store has been out of black for weeks :argh:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Outdo this poo poo!

http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/P-51D_Mustang.html

Click for "oh my god!"

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'd also be interested in learning this. I love using mr. color paints but my hobby store has been out of black for weeks :argh:

Don't know about 'best' but I got my last lot from http://www.hobbylinc.com/hobby-and-model-paint - not a lot of Gunze, though. Sprue Brothers seem to have some of that - http://store.spruebrothers.com/category_s/1978.htm - but I haven't used them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It says a lot that I scrolled down through the pictures thinking "I know that plane". Ctrl + f "Hendon" and yup. :stare:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Unkempt posted:

Don't know about 'best' but I got my last lot from http://www.hobbylinc.com/hobby-and-model-paint - not a lot of Gunze, though. Sprue Brothers seem to have some of that - http://store.spruebrothers.com/category_s/1978.htm - but I haven't used them.

Never ordered paint from them, but Hobbylinc is a great place

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's crazy, but it's also 1:5 scale, so not as completely insane as when I first saw just the close up and thought this was crazy small stuff.

Edit: after looking at the rest of the pictures, nevermind. Even at 1:5 that thing is completely bonkers.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 12, 2014

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
1:5?

Is anybody else thinking lawnmower engine + small child?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

There is a picture on one of the pages of that link with a small dog in the cockpit.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This is seriously jawdropping. I really have nothing else to add, the work he put into it is stunning and the end result is just beautiful.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So that Mustang entirely scratchbuilt? Because holy poo poo.

Trying my hand at decanting today, hoping it does not (literally) blow up in my face:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

What are you decanting and.. why? I'm trying to figure out what that would be used for in modeling, and coming up with a complete blank!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Locator posted:

What are you decanting and.. why? I'm trying to figure out what that would be used for in modeling, and coming up with a complete blank!

Spray paint for use on an airbrush or hand brushing. Some manufacturers (Tamiya for example) make a lot of their colors in spray cans only.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Friends, I am once again cloaked in failure

I had some very complex masking to do on the 1/144 RB-36 canopy I'm building. I usually do this sorta work freehand, but as the paint is metallic (shiny metallic at that) I kinda have to do it via airbrushing and mask. And, my friends, it did not go well. I used masking compound very neatly on one section, and for the nose, used tape cut to the many shapes. Both pretty much failed. The main problem is that pulling the tape/mask away often pulled away sections of paint with it. This is a particular problem on some of the very fine masks that are triangular, as they really need to keep a precise shape.

help

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

Spray paint for use on an airbrush or hand brushing. Some manufacturers (Tamiya for example) make a lot of their colors in spray cans only.

Bingo. That's TS-7 and TS-49 in those jars. Pretty sure I'm in the clear, only the slightest fizz of air is released when I open the lids on the jars.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Friends, I am once again cloaked in failure

I had some very complex masking to do on the 1/144 RB-36 canopy I'm building. I usually do this sorta work freehand, but as the paint is metallic (shiny metallic at that) I kinda have to do it via airbrushing and mask. And, my friends, it did not go well. I used masking compound very neatly on one section, and for the nose, used tape cut to the many shapes. Both pretty much failed. The main problem is that pulling the tape/mask away often pulled away sections of paint with it. This is a particular problem on some of the very fine masks that are triangular, as they really need to keep a precise shape.

help

How heavy are your coats? I actually recently ran into a masking fiasco myself, and I realized that you really need to be careful with the thickness of your coats. Build it up nice and slow. As for the paint lift, did you wash your sprues prior to painting? It's not a super common problem these days, but some mold release agent might still be on the sprues, which can affect your paint.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Now that you mention it, I think I painted too thick. I did wash the sprunes, though, and treated the transparencies with Future.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The only thing I've seen that even comes close to that mustang is the mustang from rodney williams, as well as his fw190d from the old airfix kit.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The spraypaint I've decanted appears to be much much thinner using a brush compared to spraying it. Any idea why?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Most likely because when you use a brush, the brush is loaded and the paint is more likely to stay liquid because the carrier can only dry on the outer surface. Using the airbrush, the paint stream is so thin that the carrier in it can dry that much faster, resulting in thicker concentrations of paint pigments. Similar to how a thin veneer of alcohol will evaporate almost immediately, whereas a spilled pool of alcohol will last much longer.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah that makes sense. I'll have to see how it fares through an airbrush.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

I decided that I wanted to start building models again after a few years. So I pulled out this kit which was only only started a few years ago and I decided to finally finish building it today. Can't wait to get some paint on it. Its a maschinen krieger Kuster & Friedrich box set. Still have to build Friedrich.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Gunbus posted:

I decided that I wanted to start building models again after a few years. So I pulled out this kit which was only only started a few years ago and I decided to finally finish building it today. Can't wait to get some paint on it. Its a maschinen krieger Kuster & Friedrich box set. Still have to build Friedrich.

Me too! I wanted to wait until I was finished weathering but...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gunbus posted:

Oh my god, that's a really cool model. Maybe I'm dumb or having some kind of horrible brain fart, but I'm having a hell of a time finding info on what it's a model of.. I see that it's Japanese, and I've found info on the model kits, the company that made them, etc, and mention of a "universe" they're from, but I can't find any mention of what this universe was created for--an anime, TV show, movies, or just for the model kits.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trying to come up with a mass-producible elevated railway system. Something sort of like the Chicago L but with central supports and higher off the ground.

I think it worked out ok, I've made a few tweaks to it now like little feet on the middle layer of the supports to make sure it's not tippy. It's really hard to get 3 tiny thin pieces of 1/16 wood to line up perfectly. The angle-iron bits are just 1mm thick (probably less since the laser eats up a bit) so it's all super fragile until glued together. I'm not used to working with wood, it's tricky but fun. But gently caress is basswood expensive, not sure what else to make this out of that would be strong enough but cheaper. I'm going to need like 20 of these segments and a few unique bits for curves. I do not have the wood skills for boat building!

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Oh my god, that's a really cool model. Maybe I'm dumb or having some kind of horrible brain fart, but I'm having a hell of a time finding info on what it's a model of.. I see that it's Japanese, and I've found info on the model kits, the company that made them, etc, and mention of a "universe" they're from, but I can't find any mention of what this universe was created for--an anime, TV show, movies, or just for the model kits.

They aren't from anything. That's whats great about Ma.k!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Nice mech, but mechs just aren't as cool as tanks.

Italeri (or Revell? gently caress, this branding poo poo gets awfully confusing when companies sell each other sprue molds) Pz38(t)!

By default, the inside of the turret has nothing but a seat in it, so I decided to add a shell catcher so at least you can see something when looking into the open hatch.

The seat on the inside isn't exactly super great, either.

The inside of the hull is a lot more detailed...

But, as these things go, a lot less of it is visible once the turret platform is closed. There are no hatches to open to make the insides more visible. Out of the three vision ports, two are actually see-through, but too small to see anything on the inside.

The tank comes with one commander's figure. It was obviously meant to be glued into the hatch. Outside of it, it looks kind of weirdly proportioned and gremlin-like. I think it's the arms, but the facial expression doesn't help.

Here's the tank next to its Czech brother, the Pz35(t).

The tracks in this kit are rubber, but some of the best I've ever worked with, being just long enough to slip onto an assembled model without being too loose. The suspension lacks detail on the inner side, but comes with the added bonus of being fully movable (if you don't get the glue onto the wrong parts). The tank comes with decals for a few German units and one Czechoslovak unit. The machineguns are movable in their ball mounts, and the gun moves up and down, as you'd expect.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 17, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

But gently caress is basswood expensive, not sure what else to make this out of that would be strong enough but cheaper. I'm going to need like 20 of these segments and a few unique bits for curves. I do not have the wood skills for boat building!

Basswood is used a lot for ship building because it's fairly soft and easy to work, and has a very fine grain (this is important for small scale where the wood may be left 'natural') but the downside to that is that it doesn't hold a nice sharp edge very well like a hardwood does. I don't know exactly how you are shaping this, but if you aren't doing a lot of hand work, and you aren't concerned with the grain, consider maple, birch or poplar. I know that Home depot carries a fairly nice selection of poplar sheeting as 'hobby' wood, so you might check the pricing on that compared to what you are able to get basswood for. If you need to to come to you in a 1/16" thickness as opposed to being able to size it yourself though, you may be out of luck as I don't think they carry it that thin.

You can get Mahogany, Cherry, Basswood, and Birch Plywood down to 1/32" (some down to 1/64") thick from Micro-Mark http://www.micromark.com/wood.html

No idea how the pricing here compares to whatever you are currently buying.

There are also a couple sellers on eBay that sell hobby wood that might be able to supply sheeting at a better price.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Unkempt posted:

This man speaks true. Something happened and the newer kits are p good. I just finished the 1/72 Mk 22.

I was so pleased with this, I picked up the PR 19, currently in progress.

Dammit, I wish I knew how to use this camera.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Set it to P mode, aim the center where you want it to focus, and press the button.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
What do you guys do display case wise? I'd like to build a 1/72 plane in the future and I'm definitely making a 1/12 scale car. Both are mostly foreign territory for me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cars are pretty popular, so you should be able to find a lot of pre-made display cases for sale on the web. Other subjects can be tougher, and you usually have to go with a DIY solution.

I've heard some people just get some custom plexi cut, join them with epoxy, and then use wood/chrome strips to hide the joints, and mount it all on a precut base from someplace like Michaels. Other have use plexi fish-tanks. There are a lot of custom shops out there too that will create a beautiful, sized to fit case, but those can be pricy. Or you could just buy a large display case from Ikea, and use that to store multiple models. That's the route I went; I bought a bunch of Ikea bookcases with glass fronts, and then I built in a custom lighting setup with LED strips.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 21, 2014

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cars are pretty popular, so you should be able to find a lot of pre-made display cases for sale on the web. Other subjects can be tougher, and you usually have to go with a DIY solution.

I've heard some people just get some custom plexi cut, join them with epoxy, and then use wood/chrome strips to hide the joints, and mount it all on a precut base from someplace like Michaels. Other have use plexi fish-tanks. There are a lot of custom shops out there too that will create a beautiful, sized to fit case, but those can be pricy. Or you could just buy a large display case from Ikea, and use that to store multiple models. That's the route I went; I bought a bunch of Ikea bookcases with glass fronts, and then I built in a custom lighting setup with LED strips.

Man, I'd love to get a lit display case going on. I have a bunch of cases for 1/20-1/24 cars, but nothing for a 1/12. I'll probably go the custom route or the fish tank.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

That's an awful lot of weird poo poo you've got, Mr Hedgehog. Is that Grodd there on the right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That's actually just old King Kong. That's my To-Do case, and in there is a Metaluna Mutant, three "Evil Apples", The Krampus, a Hulk, Biostein, Hellboy, and a Death Dealer. The other case only has single unfinished piece on the bottom shelf, a Mohawk Mogwai. In my vinyl stash I've got a Mars Attacks scene, a Invisible Man scene, the Nautilus, and a huge 1/16 russian tank.

The finished items are a mix of pre-finished Sideshow pieces, some repaints, and some original paints.