Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
In the Old Gods start I've tried a few games as the Norse dude in Nantes. I usually either conquer Brittany or Ireland since those seem like nice little kingdoms. However, it won't let me form the Kingdom of Brittany. Do I need to be Christian or Norman or something to form that Kingdom?

Also, a 7k doomstack(I can't field that many troops at all) will spawn usually after 10-15 years ("Peasant revolt" or something like that.) How do I keep that from happening? Do I have to go Christian once I get the territory I want?

Are there any fun kingdoms to do a prepared invasion on as Nantes? I tried Aquitaine and Normandy before but the Karling clusterfuck just brings 15k troops in and murders my 8k.

Mahasamatman fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
As far as I can tell you just have to be in the Celtic culture group.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Mahasamatman posted:

In the Old Gods start I've tried a few games as the Norse dude in Nantes. I usually either conquer Brittany or Ireland since those seem like nice little kingdoms. However, it won't let me form the Kingdom of Brittany. Do I need to be Christian or Norman or something to form that Kingdom?

Also, a 7k doomstack(I can't field that many troops at all) will spawn usually after 10-15 years ("Peasant revolt" or something like that.) How do I keep that from happening? Do I have to go Christian once I get the territory I want?

You need to hold another duchy other than brittany to create the kingdom of brittany. The doomstack of peasants probably happened because you hold the kingdom of brittany's land, but not the kingdom, so a "Liberation Revolt" forms, which will kick you out of your land and form the kingdom of Brittany.

I recommend cornwall, for an easy duchy to make the kingdom possible.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Is there a mod that makes all counties independent and all holdings tribal?

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Thanks for the Brittany tips guys!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Joshlemagne posted:

You're missing the point. In fact, you're proving my point. Having all the dlc makes the game significantly easier in a lot of ways. But then people complain about how easy the game is and demand that it be made harder on a base level. They don't understand how all the "minor" benefits of the dlc add up to trivializing a lot of the game. Like I said, try playing a plain vanilla no dlc game once then come back and tell me it doesn't make the game a lot harder.

This is dumb and not what "cheat" DLC is, hope this helps you.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 16, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Raserys posted:

Is there a mod that makes all counties independent and all holdings tribal?

Someone linked one awhile back, it sounds like fun and I want to try it out.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Ludo Friend posted:

Need to be playing on Ironman for the achievements. If that's not the issue then I'm not sure, as that's normally the problem!

I am for sure on Ironman, I think it may be because I am a republic and everything involving them is buggy.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Hover over the Ironman button when you load up your save. You may have lost Ironman status for some reason.

Sulla
May 10, 2008
I've been playing with a "no retinue" house rule ever since I figured out they were basically a "press this to win" button.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Has the post CM patching calmed down? I've been riding on an old pre CM version because the impression I got from the thread was that the balance changes were kind of rocky.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Pretty much all the Pagans are tribal, as well as Ireland, and I think one Bedouin duchy in Arabia and one or two Berber duchies away from the coasts of North Africa.

Starting as any of the Orthodox Russians during the 1066 start gives you a tribal government.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

BBJoey posted:

This is dumb and not what "cheat" DLC is, hope this helps you.

Actually I think you'll find that it actually is cheat dlc. Glad I could help make you less ignorant.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Beans posted:

Has the post CM patching calmed down? I've been riding on an old pre CM version because the impression I got from the thread was that the balance changes were kind of rocky.

All the patches so far have been beta patches. They're still coming out fairly regularly but the changelog for the last few has only been a couple items so it seems to be slowing down a bit. I don't think there's been a "release" patch yet, so unless you opt-in to the beta patch, you'll still have the version that came with the CM patch. If you don't want to use the beta patch, I recommend sticking with the pre-CM one since without the beta patches it's pretty buggy. None of the beta patches have been save-game breaking though, so it's worth opting in if you want to try the new CM stuff.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Joshlemagne posted:

Actually I think you'll find that it actually is cheat dlc. Glad I could help make you less ignorant.

Not to be rude, but uh, if he wasn't sold on that exact same argument before (minus the italics, I suppose), I doubt he'll be swayed by it this time :v:

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with him - the closest thing I can think of that's 'cheat-y' regarding the DLC is, as you or someone else here said, the money/claims you can get off the Pope, by cashing in Piety. (Although to be fair, piety's normally fairly hard to procure in any reasonable timeframe)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, I don't see how borrowing money is cheating. Even borrowing 300 gold from the Jews then expelling them isn't really cheating since you get a pretty large diplomacy hit. That's the reason I haven't done it, since the penalty doesn't seem worth it to me. And even if you do expel them it's not like you can do it on a regular basis.

The closest thing to "cheating" in SoA is probably the option to make someone a monk or nun, but that has its limitations too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Borrowing from and expelling the Jews as a tribal will basically pay for all the upgrades needed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Who even plays a Christian? I think the closes I've come is playing a Cathar, which doesn't count.

Also, lol at the Lappish retinue being 'Baltic Warrior', way to put in effort there I suppose. And am I the only one vaguely annoyed at the lack of bookmarks and how the clock in the game-setup does nothing?

Is the mod for all tribal/independent in the workshop? Heck, what are the recommended workshop mods? Folks here talk about HIP and VIET and CK2+ but what else might be cool to try out?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Borrowing from and expelling the Jews as a tribal will basically pay for all the upgrades needed.

For one holding...

e: Someone mash up a Dukes Only + Everyone Tribal + Everyone Karling mod.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Malfinds are multiplying.

e: Marrying myself just looks like a bug, but the Malfinds in my council are honestly the best men for the job. Which is sad, because my chancellor's predecessor was a 23-diplomacy beast who got my predecessor claims on every other Norse holy site. Which I couldn't use before he died. :(

Dareon fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 17, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Joshlemagne posted:

This doesn't help at all, sorry. Your argument that 'dlc adds helpful feature x for use by both player and ai' is equivalent to 'dlc x is cheat dlc' is still bad and wrong. :shobon:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Also, you haven't seen 'cheat DLC' until you've seen stuff like this DLC for Sleeping Dogs, Joshlemagne. Now that is cheat DLC - I'm just glad Steam has an on/off toggle for DLC these days, so you can get rid of it if you bought it on sale without realising that it just gives you a pile of ingame money, or something.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
I usually avoid playing Catholics, but having the Pope and the Jews bankroll three generations of Bavarian development plus a takeover of Italy has been pretty nice. A united Francia lost Aquitaine to the Umayyads, then lost wars to Denmark, Saxony, and Poland before splitting up. A few years later, the Karlings of West, Middle, and East Francia decided to throw themselves into the Umayyad wood-chipper one more time, giving me a chance to fish two de jure Bavarian provinces out of East Francia. West and Middle Francia just merged, but East Francia remains independent, and there's no telling how long any of it will last. It's been a pretty neat run.

The Abbasids of course remain completely unchallenged in their gradual expansion.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What I've noticed about the Abbasids in the CM start is that it takes them a while to implode, but when it does happen, it's spectacular. They'll go from stretching all the way across Africa to India to just the area around Jerusalem/Syria/Arabia with a whole lot of kingdoms and duchies littered along the way.

The changes to event troops has made it so that the Shia rising event or decadence revolts seem to be successful a lot less frequently, but if one hits them during a big war with the Byzantines or during a crusade, it can usually be enough to knock them out. That's what's happened to them in my last couple of games anyway - the thing about the Abbasids is they start with a huge blob but a lot of their territory is poo poo with only 1-2 holdings, so they can't really grow without conquest. Europe starts off at about the same level as them but has a lot more room to grow so they'll outpace them after a few centuries so long as they don't completely fall apart into dozens of constantly warring dukes (which does happen, but not EVERY time).

I don't tend to play Catholics either but I'm trying them a bit now since the game is honestly kind of easy as a Pagan, Muslim or heretic, being able to just conquest/holy war your way anywhere you want to expand. Playing as a Christian means you actually have to care about forming alliances and arranging marriages to bring titles/claims into your dynasty. One of the best moments I had in my current game was marrying my heir to the Queen of Italy as the King of France, so that his son would then inherit both titles and be able to form the HRE. This was after several generations of plotting, alliances, and wars to work my way up there starting out as just a count. It's a lot trickier doing that as a Christian than as a Pagan where you just subjugate your way to a kingdom, then try to rush the holy sites and reform the religion so you can switch out of gavelkind before you die.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 17, 2014

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm confused about how this tribal stuff is supposed to work. I started a game as Ivar the Boneless and captured a bunch of castles. Now the game is complaining about wrong holding types everywhere and I don't know how to fix it. I guess my guys are afraid of stone buildings but there's no option to tear them down and its their fault they started a war to take all these buildings they couldn't use in the first place.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'm confused about how this tribal stuff is supposed to work. I started a game as Ivar the Boneless and captured a bunch of castles. Now the game is complaining about wrong holding types everywhere and I don't know how to fix it. I guess my guys are afraid of stone buildings but there's no option to tear them down and its their fault they started a war to take all these buildings they couldn't use in the first place.

Took me a while to figure that out, myself. They're not complaining about the castles, it's all the cities and temples that you're trying to manage yourself. Click on a county you just conquered, and you'll see your castle in the top-right of the window. In the bottom of the window are several other things that are usually not castles. Right-click each of those and click the lower-left icon that pops up (Has a little crown on it). That'll pluck a mayor or high priest from the luminiferous aether and set them up in a barony under you. If there are further castles in a given county, you can hang onto those or give them out in the same manner as you like.

You can give out mayorics and priestnesses from the diplomacy screen with your court and vassals, as well.

Unless Ivar somehow works differently than his brother, but Halfdan functions just fine with castles and I can't see any reason why Ivar would start as a merchant republic (Which cares about cities instead of castles) or a theocracy (Which can't be played, but revolves around churches.)

e: On the off chance that you actually conquered a republic territory that didn't have a castle, you'll need to build one or just give the whole county to a vassal.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 17, 2014

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Dareon posted:

Took me a while to figure that out, myself. They're not complaining about the castles, it's all the cities and temples that you're trying to manage yourself. Click on a county you just conquered, and you'll see your castle in the top-right of the window. In the bottom of the window are several other things that are usually not castles. Right-click each of those and click the lower-left icon that pops up (Has a little crown on it). That'll pluck a mayor or high priest from the luminiferous aether and set them up in a barony under you. If there are further castles in a given county, you can hang onto those or give them out in the same manner as you like.

You can give out mayorics and priestnesses from the diplomacy screen with your court and vassals, as well.

Unless Ivar somehow works differently than his brother, but Halfdan functions just fine with castles and I can't see any reason why Ivar would start as a merchant republic (Which cares about cities instead of castles) or a theocracy (Which can't be played, but revolves around churches.)

e: On the off chance that you actually conquered a republic territory that didn't have a castle, you'll need to build one or just give the whole county to a vassal.

Halfdan starts out with Jorvik as capital with a castle. Ivar starts with Sudreyjar as capital with a tribe. Castles are wrong holding types for tribes.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Give them to vassals. They'll hate you for being a tribal ruling over them, but the Ivar start has been absurdly underpowered ever since the Charlemagne patch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I cannot believe how easily culture spreads. Almost all of england, actually all of ireland and a big chunk of scotland are all now Welsh and I've only owned them for about 80 years!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Taear posted:

I cannot believe how easily culture spreads. Almost all of england, actually all of ireland and a big chunk of scotland are all now Welsh and I've only owned them for about 80 years!

That's weird, it's taken centuries for Sicily to go from Greek to Italian.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Martello posted:

That's weird, it's taken centuries for Sicily to go from Greek to Italian.

I also spread Visigothic really quickly into England and into France. Are you playing with Charlemagne? Maybe it takes longer if you are because the melting pot events actually work.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Am I missing something or is culture converting your children really hard now? It took me a while to remember that they don't convert from your own courtiers anymore so I sent a bunch of my kids abroad but none have picked up the culture I want them to be, despite diligent tutors.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

monster on a stick posted:

I don't think the converter works at all right now, I just tried exporting a 2.1.6 game and EU refused to accept it. There's a whole thread on the official forums with people having the same issue: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?816032-Why-is-Paradox-selling-the-converter-when-it-has-been-broken-for-so-long

I agree the converter not working is messed up - it is being worked on though, hopefully it can be solved once they get the CM patch out. That Upperlorraine guy you're talking to there went really, really nuts over MMtG being canceled though, not seen him around since then. He claimed he worked for EA and that Ubik should sue us or something so it's a bit weird he's playing the tight-lipped professional now.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

BBJoey posted:

This doesn't help at all, sorry. Your argument that 'dlc adds helpful feature x for use by both player and ai' is equivalent to 'dlc x is cheat dlc' is still bad and wrong. :shobon:

No offense, but when somebody's entire post is "you're dumb" with no substance to their argument it doesn't exactly inspire me to respond seriously.

And it's also kind of funny for you to call me dumb when you say "helpful feature x for use by both player and ai" as though the ai has any idea how to use these things. Take retinues, for example. The player is going to fill them up with archers to inflict huge casualties before the enemy even gets a chance to do anything. The ai, on the other hand, is going to fill them up with garbage units who'll get melted away instantly by your giant stack of archers.

People are really really fixated on the fact that I said cheat dlc and completely missed the point so fine, it's not cheat dlc. There that's out of the way. It still allows you to bend almost every single rule of the game and trivialize large aspects of it entirely. So people using all the dlc should think about that before they complain the game is too easy.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

I agree the converter not working is messed up - it is being worked on though, hopefully it can be solved once they get the CM patch out. That Upperlorraine guy you're talking to there went really, really nuts over MMtG being canceled though, not seen him around since then. He claimed he worked for EA and that Ubik should sue us or something so it's a bit weird he's playing the tight-lipped professional now.

Who cares where he worked and his previous posts? He (and others) make a good point in that thread about a non-working product being sold. Sorry, I know you guys are trying hard, but that's something that Paradox should deservedly be slammed for.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Joshlemagne posted:

No offense, but when somebody's entire post is "you're dumb" with no substance to their argument it doesn't exactly inspire me to respond seriously.

And it's also kind of funny for you to call me dumb when you say "helpful feature x for use by both player and ai" as though the ai has any idea how to use these things. Take retinues, for example. The player is going to fill them up with archers to inflict huge casualties before the enemy even gets a chance to do anything. The ai, on the other hand, is going to fill them up with garbage units who'll get melted away instantly by your giant stack of archers.

People are really really fixated on the fact that I said cheat dlc and completely missed the point so fine, it's not cheat dlc. There that's out of the way. It still allows you to bend almost every single rule of the game and trivialize large aspects of it entirely. So people using all the dlc should think about that before they complain the game is too easy.

Retinues not being perfectly balanced at the moment = cheat DLC apparently. Also nice dodge shifting to retinue discussion after being proven wrong about the SoA money.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Well I care [enough to briefly mention it] where he works because he said in the linked thread he works for an unnamed gaming company who treat their customers far better than Paradox. I care about his past posts because they were funny and this is the first time I have seen him in a while. Neither point detracts from the converter not working, but I never claimed they did :confused:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So, the tribal nation of Iceland won the crusade for Greece. Iceland only has one province that's still tribal which basically means the capital of greece is always this province. It's actually on mainland iceland. It's really dumb and I don't think anything will change unless somehow the muslims come and take greece back. How annoying!

And I've had Paris for maybe 15 years and it's already welsh!

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 17, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Well I care [enough to briefly mention it] where he works because he said in the linked thread he works for an unnamed gaming company who treat their customers far better than Paradox. I care about his past posts because they were funny and this is the first time I have seen him in a while. Neither point detracts from the converter not working, but I never claimed they did :confused:

My apologies, I thought when you said "that Upperlorraine guy you're talking to there went really, really nuts over MMtG being canceled though, not seen him around since then. He claimed he worked for EA and that Ubik should sue us or something so it's a bit weird he's playing the tight-lipped professional now", I meant it to infer that this should detract from his statement. Just some confusion on my part.

I think everyone in the industry has either worked for EA, or for a company EA has shut down :argh:

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DStecks posted:

Retinues not being perfectly balanced at the moment = cheat DLC apparently. Also nice dodge shifting to retinue discussion after being proven wrong about the SoA money.

What do you mean proven wrong? If I type "cash 500" into the console no one disputes that's cheating. If I pay paradox for dlc that gives me an event that's basically a free 500 gold that's not cheating now? Several people have said that the stuff added by SoA is a pretty big advantage, especially in the early game. And no one has said anything about titular titles circumventing the main downside of being tribal or the stuff people pointed out about viceroys. You're focusing on insignificant minutiae and again missing the main point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Joshlemagne posted:

What do you mean proven wrong? If I type "cash 500" into the console no one disputes that's cheating. If I pay paradox for dlc that gives me an event that's basically a free 500 gold that's not cheating now?

But it inst free though?

• Locked thread