Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

FISHMANPET posted:

(Insightful commentary)

Thanks for that! I had some preconceptions that were a little off, then. Glad to hear the system is not quite as insane as I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Kaal posted:

Problem: Then the capitol won't look imposing and frightening to people driving by. :cry:

Solution: Pick up the capitol by its foundations and place it atop a 600-foot man-made hill. :awesomelon:

I'm on board. LET'S DO THIS!

(I've always found building height restrictions to be pretty dumb anyway.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kaal posted:

Problem: Then the capitol won't look imposing and frightening to people driving by. :cry:

Solution: Pick up the capitol by its foundations and place it atop a 600-foot man-made hill. :awesomelon:

Are you perhaps suggesting a "Capitol Hill"?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Renderings of the new I-4 in Orlando, FL:

Varance fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 12, 2014

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Is it still going to have a 50 MPH speed limit (that everyone ignores)?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

lavaca posted:

Is it still going to have a 50 MPH speed limit (that everyone ignores)?

Of course. The speed limits on the new one will still be variable.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Just make it Dubai, all skyscrapers and highways.

They do have a somewhat useful elevated train system.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Varance posted:

Renderings of the new I-4 in Orlando, FL:

That is an awful lot of fancy landscaping that nobody will ever walk through.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That is an awful lot of fancy landscaping that nobody will ever walk through.

florida.txt

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Is the I-4 Ultimate project really going to be 3-2-2-3 the whole way? How badly is taking away one general use lane for a tolled lane going over?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All that landscaping really is lipstick on a pig. I've seen some ok parks integrated under big interchanges like that, but it requires the whole thing to be elevated. These are just really expensive traffic islands, not to actually be used just driven past? Is that why the speed limit is so slow, to force people to admire their tax dollars at work?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
B-but... food trucks!

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Is the I-4 Ultimate project really going to be 3-2-2-3 the whole way? How badly is taking away one general use lane for a tolled lane going over?

Yes. People just want to drive fast, so they don't really care.

This is Florida. People are a fan of a market economy road system. Especially the suburbanites. Middle class doesn't care about the $10+ tolls, so long as rich people staying in the Lexus Lanes speeds up their commute in the free lanes.

What's that? You inner city types want better public transit? Pshaw, no. Bigger roads!

Varance fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 13, 2014

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Varance posted:

B-but... food trucks!

I keep reading industry insider articles about how food trucks and pop-up retail are the NEXT BIG THING to revitalize your burnt out post-industrial hellhole of a city.

Bahaha, I just noticed you guys have an Amway stadium. Talk about sucking Capitalism's dick day in and day out...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Varance posted:

Yes. People just want to drive fast, so they don't really care.

This is Florida. People are a fan of a market economy road system. Especially the suburbanites. Middle class doesn't care about the $10+ tolls, so long as rich people staying in the Lexus Lanes speeds up their commute in the free lanes.

What's that? You inner city types want better public transit? Pshaw, no. Bigger roads!

Holy poo poo :stare:

lanes for the lane god, concrete for the skull throne :black101:

For y'all goons who haven't been, NEVER GO to Orlando. It is the only place I've been in the country that is somehow worse than Dallas.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tampa is the only Florida metro that I can stand. Miami, Orlando and Jax are... not my cup of tea.

We've got a lot of projects in my neck of the woods under PD&E right now that will go straight into construction upon receipt of funding. Feel free to ask me about any of them.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib
Orlando really isn't that bad if you have a car, a lot of money, and a lot of free time. If not, well...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Orlando is what Miami would be if it weren't hemmed in on three sides by water and national parks.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Varance posted:

Tampa is the only Florida metro that I can stand. Miami, Orlando and Jax are... not my cup of tea.

We've got a lot of projects in my neck of the woods under PD&E right now that will go straight into construction upon receipt of funding. Feel free to ask me about any of them.

What's the most interesting of these, as a traffic engineer? I lived there, I can pretty much see the value of ... all of them.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

phongn posted:

What's the most interesting of these, as a traffic engineer? I lived there, I can pretty much see the value of ... all of them.
They're all projects that should have been done 20 years ago, but that's par for the course anywhere in the States.

The vast majority of local road projects are expansion from 4/6 to 6/8 lanes with grade separation where those roads intersect. The interstate projects are similar to the I-4 Ultimate project in Orlando, with the addition of express lanes everywhere (though, unlike Orlando, we'll also be adding more local lanes at the same time). Nothing too spectacular, though we'll be replacing the eastbound spans of both the Gandy and Howard Frankland bridges next decade.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

whitey delenda est posted:

For y'all goons who haven't been, NEVER GO to OrlandoFlorida.

Here in Tallahassee the roads are so worn in that when it rains the water pools in the wheel ruts.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Varance posted:

They're all projects that should have been done 20 years ago, but that's par for the course anywhere in the States.

The vast majority of local road projects are expansion from 4/6 to 6/8 lanes with grade separation where those roads intersect. The interstate projects are similar to the I-4 Ultimate project in Orlando, with the addition of express lanes everywhere (though, unlike Orlando, we'll also be adding more local lanes at the same time). Nothing too spectacular, though we'll be replacing the eastbound spans of both the Gandy and Howard Frankland bridges next decade.

Too bad the transit tax failed in Pinellas, but that was hardly unsurprising. Suburbanites hate transit and they hate taxes (though Penny for Pinellas seemingly always renews). :(

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

phongn posted:

Too bad the transit tax failed in Pinellas, but that was hardly unsurprising. Suburbanites hate transit and they hate taxes (though Penny for Pinellas seemingly always renews). :(

Our plan for the Hillsborough 2016 referendum is to tie basically every line on that map I posted earlier into the referendum. If y'all want your super roads, you're gonna have ta invest in transit s'well.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Varance posted:

B-but... food trucks!

I know that when I want to relax and get away from the pressures of home, the first place I go is underneath a freeway.

It makes me feel like I don't have a home at all!

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Skeesix posted:

I know that when I want to relax and get away from the pressures of home, the first place I go is underneath a freeway.

It makes me feel like I don't have a home at all!

I'm wondering how loud the music is going to have to be at those food truck rallies to drown out the 12 lanes of freeway traffic overhead...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One of our local malls had a big anchor store close, so they have been using that overgrown parking lot for a semi regular food truck festival. Not as depressing as you might think!

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib

Varance posted:

I'm wondering how loud the music is going to have to be at those food truck rallies to drown out the 12 lanes of freeway traffic overhead...

Years ago the Orlando Farmer's Market was held under I-4 by Church Street. I don't remember it being that loud.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I drove through orlando once, it was amazing. I couldn't believe it was a real place. I don't even remember any buildings, just highways.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a question about the I-94/I-90 intersection on the North side of Chicago. Basically, heading South this intersection is always a nightmare. Well, I guess always except when the google satellite is overhead. Here's the Google satellite view of it. Below is a small crop of it for those who don't want to follow the link:

Basically you have two very busy eight lane highways merging, and within the next 2 miles or so they need to converge into a single eight lane highway with a reversible 2-lane express lane. Also, there are two very busy intersections coming up within 2 miles of this merge, which probably leads to a lot of cross-traffic.

Is there any way to design this so it's not a nightmare? How would you design this if you had free reign?

(Also, some people on the far north side of Chicago complain there isn't a ramp to go from I-94 east to I-90 west since O'Hare airport is on I-90)

Chuu fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 16, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Video game chat!

So I've got an amazing friend who's a fancy big time java developer and he's walking me through making babby's first video game. My game is going to be riveting an amazing, it's going to be a regional transport and land use game! Played simcity4? Imagine you're just building the tiles in the region view, never actually going into the city tiles them selves.

I'd like as much of it based on actual data as possible. The general idea is that each tile you build (representing about 2x2km of land) you will select a type of street layout for that tile, either a slider or a few pre-set styles. The styles will range from a totally "dendritic" or "hierarchy of streets" sort of suburbia layouts to a dense traditional grid. The former being better for traffic flow and overall car speeds/capacities while the later being much better for pedestrians, transit, and adapting to increases in density.

Obviously this is a game, I'm not setting out to make a totally scientific traffic simulator, but if one were to take a 2x2km area and cover one in a network of dendritic or tree like suburban streets leading to bigger streets leading to "stroads" or what ever and another 2x2km area and cover it in a dense grid of streets (where each intersection was generally a light, streets all mostly having equal priority) what would the difference in speeds and flows for cars be on average in those two "tiles" of city? From a traffic engineering perspective what would best separate these two types in terms of "stats" or gameplay? Feel free to throw out some ballpark numbers like "car trip times in the first tile would average 5min and the network would only start to see congestion at X trips per day while the second region would see car trips averaging 8min and the network would start to see congestion at Y trips per day"

Of course this is just the STREET layout on each tile, on top of a tile you'll be plopping down large roads, highways, freeways and other things to speed up travel between tiles. For instance building a freeway on one tile basically just represents a stretch of freeway and a single exit/entrance and won't effect travel within that tile (if anything it will hurt it as the highway cuts off routes unless it's elevated) but will greatly speed and increase capacity for people driving from that tile to another tile, or more importantly, people driving through that tile from elsewhere.

Any other feedback would be most welcome. The goal of the game is to show how various land use and infrastructure choices effects how a city develops and how for the most part you can only make an area either pedestrian/cycle friend OR car friendly, not both. I also want to include some of the basic political and economic forces that push cities to sprawl in the first place.

virtual256
May 6, 2007

I recently found this proposal: http://timandjeni.com/blog/forget-red-light-cameras-we-need-yellow-light-lines/

Several questions get raised, Is this something that people would even notice? Has it been tried anywhere? Would it work? Would it actually change the behavior of those drivers who rush through the intersection half the time and stop half the time? Would this be a possibility according to The Book?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

virtual256 posted:

I recently found this proposal: http://timandjeni.com/blog/forget-red-light-cameras-we-need-yellow-light-lines/

Several questions get raised, Is this something that people would even notice? Has it been tried anywhere? Would it work? Would it actually change the behavior of those drivers who rush through the intersection half the time and stop half the time? Would this be a possibility according to The Book?

It seems like it relies pretty heavily on people driving the speed limit, which I don't think can be as much of a given as the author intends. For example, say you were accelerating as you had been stopped at the light previously - that line only works if you're going at least the speed limit at the moment you cross the line and at all points throughout the remainder of the intersection. What if the cars were stopped shortly after the intersection, maybe giving you one or two cars' length of space - you'll have to apply the brakes in the intersection, in that case.

In short, I think it works for one very specific scenario - drivers approaching an intersection at-speed with no other real traffic in their direction of travel.

I think enforcing a standard yellow length would probably do more to limit people entering the intersection when they shouldn't than anything.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I predict a lot of drivers braking anyway when they see the lights change and getting rear ended by drivers that assumed they aren't going to stop.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Chuu posted:

I have a question about the I-94/I-90 intersection on the North side of Chicago. Basically, heading South this intersection is always a nightmare. Well, I guess always except when the google satellite is overhead. Here's the Google satellite view of it. Below is a small crop of it for those who don't want to follow the link:

Basically you have two very busy eight lane highways merging, and within the next 2 miles or so they need to converge into a single eight lane highway with a reversible 2-lane express lane. Also, there are two very busy intersections coming up within 2 miles of this merge, which probably leads to a lot of cross-traffic.

Is there any way to design this so it's not a nightmare? How would you design this if you had free reign?

(Also, some people on the far north side of Chicago complain there isn't a ramp to go from I-94 east to I-90 west since O'Hare airport is on I-90)

I think this area was discussed waaaay back in the early days of the thread, but the typical answer for areas like this is "remove an interchange or two and give people more room to maneuver."

Baronjutter posted:

Video game chat!

So I've got an amazing friend who's a fancy big time java developer and he's walking me through making babby's first video game. My game is going to be riveting an amazing, it's going to be a regional transport and land use game! Played simcity4? Imagine you're just building the tiles in the region view, never actually going into the city tiles them selves.

I will give this some more thought when I have time, but I'm definitely interested.

virtual256 posted:

Two big things: 1) most people do not travel at the speed limit, and 2) people do not have infinitely fast reaction times.

Drivers are already pretty good at judging whether or not they can stop for a yellow. Studies show that they'll stop if they think they're more than 3 seconds from the stop bar, regardless of speed. I'm guessing that's why all yellow times in the UK are 3 seconds.

Now they'd have to notice the yellow light, look around for the yellow line, look out the side of the car, remember whether it's even installed at this intersection, figure out how long it's been since the light turned yellow (because almost nobody notices immediately as it changes), figure out how far they've gone past the yellow line, figure out whether they were at the yellow line when the light turned yellow, adjusted depending on their current speed...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I figured it was just a way for light cameras to give people tickets with photo evidence. If you're past the line when it turned yellow and still went through you get a ticket. Won't do gently caress all for safety but might increase ticket revenue. It's fairly easy to get out of yellow light tickets just say "I didn't feel I could safely stop in time".

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The issue I'd have is that, just like the walk cycle being timed for the slowest possible walker, for that to be useful you have to space it back for the slowest possible combination of reflexes + braking ability.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

I figured it was just a way for light cameras to give people tickets with photo evidence. If you're past the line when it turned yellow and still went through you get a ticket. Won't do gently caress all for safety but might increase ticket revenue. It's fairly easy to get out of yellow light tickets just say "I didn't feel I could safely stop in time".

We account for people running the red, though. They really shouldn't be ticketed unless they go through after it's already been red for 1 second. Not that cops care, but that's how we design it.

Javid posted:

The issue I'd have is that, just like the walk cycle being timed for the slowest possible walker, for that to be useful you have to space it back for the slowest possible combination of reflexes + braking ability.

Slowest reaction time is about 5 seconds for the old farts we still somehow let drive. Not to worry, though, there are new records being set: recent surveys show that teens think it's ok to divert their attention from the road for up to 10 seconds with no ill effects.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Baronjutter posted:

I infer that your country applies the same law as Sweden: If the light turns yellow, you must stop UNLESS it would be dangerous (due to high speed, risk of rear-ending etc). I gather that this is also the case in some U.S. jurisdictions, but not all. (I could be wrong, Source)

In practice, I've never heard of anyone here getting ticketed for running a yellow, but then we don't have red light cameras. I do believe the stop-on-yellow rule has helped reduce red light running, and thus security overall. I think the scenario Fangz described won't occur, because when you see a yellow you will be prepared for the car in front of you to stop.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 17, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

Slowest reaction time is about 5 seconds for the old farts we still somehow let drive. Not to worry, though, there are new records being set: recent surveys show that teens think it's ok to divert their attention from the road for up to 10 seconds with no ill effects.

Recently the german police filmed a truck driver (40 ton) who at the same time: Drank a coffee (right hand), smoked (left hand) had a phone call (jammed between his ear and shoulder) and also drove his truck. You can't expect him to multitask this many actions and have a good reaction time? I guess you might expect him to stop, which is what the police did. They also removed his burden of having to drive a truck (for quite some time) and also had the company send another driver to pickup the truck.

They are using motor caravans for this and filming out of the back window.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Baronjutter posted:

Video game chat!

I'd like as much of it based on actual data as possible. The general idea is that each tile you build (representing about 2x2km of land) you will select a type of street layout for that tile, either a slider or a few pre-set styles. The styles will range from a totally "dendritic" or "hierarchy of streets" sort of suburbia layouts to a dense traditional grid. The former being better for traffic flow and overall car speeds/capacities while the later being much better for pedestrians, transit, and adapting to increases in density.

Obviously this is a game, I'm not setting out to make a totally scientific traffic simulator, but if one were to take a 2x2km area and cover one in a network of dendritic or tree like suburban streets leading to bigger streets leading to "stroads" or what ever and another 2x2km area and cover it in a dense grid of streets (where each intersection was generally a light, streets all mostly having equal priority) what would the difference in speeds and flows for cars be on average in those two "tiles" of city? From a traffic engineering perspective what would best separate these two types in terms of "stats" or gameplay? Feel free to throw out some ballpark numbers like "car trip times in the first tile would average 5min and the network would only start to see congestion at X trips per day while the second region would see car trips averaging 8min and the network would start to see congestion at Y trips per day"

Of course this is just the STREET layout on each tile, on top of a tile you'll be plopping down large roads, highways, freeways and other things to speed up travel between tiles. For instance building a freeway on one tile basically just represents a stretch of freeway and a single exit/entrance and won't effect travel within that tile (if anything it will hurt it as the highway cuts off routes unless it's elevated) but will greatly speed and increase capacity for people driving from that tile to another tile, or more importantly, people driving through that tile from elsewhere.

Any other feedback would be most welcome. The goal of the game is to show how various land use and infrastructure choices effects how a city develops and how for the most part you can only make an area either pedestrian/cycle friend OR car friendly, not both. I also want to include some of the basic political and economic forces that push cities to sprawl in the first place.

SimCity is a pretty complex game, though, and your idea sounds complex as well; if it's your first project, I would strongly recommend that you not bite off more than you can chew. Especially if it's a solo project, or worked on by two or three people.

There's a lot of neat things about your concept, and it would be a shame if none of them came to fruition because you or your team burnt out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't worry I'm going to be starting off very simple, and most of it is just math. The game itsself isn't that technically complex, very limited pathfinding, tile based map. It's just a ton of excel sheets running in the background, which is something I've done before. Once I've got the grid/tile system up and basic pathfinding it will just be a matter of adding more and more detail to the background simulation. It won't have much in the way of economic or political stuff for a long while. Just plopping down tiles and watching numbers change.