Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

The look on my co-workers faces when I tell them I found a bowling alley in the desert is priceless everytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Those are the moments I absolutely love about Burning Man. In the moment, getting a geography lesson in the middle of the desert from a woman dressed as a mouse in a bra and g-string seems normal, but recant the story to anyone who has never been and they can't help but wonder what the hell else goes on.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Smeed posted:

Those are the moments I absolutely love about Burning Man. In the moment, getting a geography lesson in the middle of the desert from a woman dressed as a mouse in a bra and g-string seems normal, but recant the story to anyone who has never been and they can't help but wonder what the hell else goes on.

I biked down a random street after some day drinking around 5pm and was asked if I "wanted to be a carrot." In the spirit of the event I said "hell yes!". Next thing I know, I'm dressed in a bunch of orange clothing marching with about 50 other people shouting anti-rabbit slogans and heading towards the man. We met up with Animal Control, danced to some music, provided by a man dressed up as a cop DJing from a garbage can, and drank a red juice directly out of a cooler. Some one handed out some special cookies and we partied until the rabbits showed up. Oh, animal control had syringes with liquor to give out if anyone was "caught" but we drank most of it before the bunnies even showed up. Eventually, they poured out of a large, dragon art-car and tried to get to the man. We attempted to block all the entrances but there were just too many of them. We all then partied around the man again some more.

Best part of that story was that I locked my bike up at the camp where the rally began but I didn't remember where that was when it ended so I was going all around the 7-8 o'clock neighborhoods telling that story and asking people if they knew where a "carrot camp" was. Naturally, they all assumed I was on something (which I kind of was) but no one seemed to know anything about it. It took me until like 3pm the next day to find out they were somewhere in the French Quarter. I didn't think I was that close to the Esplanade but I guess I was. Probably one of my favorite Burning Man stories so far. No one in the default world will understand that story...

Mandaryn
Sep 4, 2004

COCK SNAKE!
"What did you do?"

Oh, I climbed on a big spinning metal tree thing. Got a few bruises...

I'm just above the guy in the vest hanging off - blue hat. This photo, by Scott London, was featured on RollingStone.com. Kinda awesome.

I don't have any too-strange stories, but it was an amazing year.

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
Thus far my favorite thing to tell people who have not been to Burning Man is about the beautiful topless woman who poured me a freshly made piņa colada while I fixed a bike (we had repaired hers previously). From a blender which was powered by pedaling her bike.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

The look on my co-workers faces when I tell them I found a bowling alley in the desert is priceless everytime.

When I tell someone I got ice cream in deep playa at 2pm when it was 90 degrees.

My only regret about that story is my friends found snowcones the day before.

kunoichi
Oct 26, 2005

Alfajor posted:

GOON BREWSKI!

YAY! Great goonmeet! Good times.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Decompression parties should start happening soon. Reno's is on 10/18 and it promises to be awesome. I mean, it's usually a great time, but seems like Reno's momentum is strong after Embrace and a whole lot of local projects getting a lot of attention at the big BM.
Anyway, I'm particularly stoked because I landed a DJ spot at 10pm, which should have a lot more people than the last time I got to play at 8pm. I've been hoping for a chance to get a dance floor to work with, and it's only sweeter that it's with a bunch of Reno burners, out of which I know dozens. It's gonna be great.
More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1508567962711975/1537378823164222

PS: One of our friends has a room at the Morris Motel ("the world's first burner hotel"), so we'll be pre-gaming in there.
Holler if you're attending!

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

mitztronic posted:

When I tell someone I got ice cream in deep playa at 2pm when it was 90 degrees.

My only regret about that story is my friends found snowcones the day before.

Aww, why's that a regret?

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
7 days to Mosaic Experiment(Ohio Regional)! Pretty Excited! My group from the Kentucky regional burn are all going as a theme camp and another girl and I have a Theme camp within the Camp. Luscious Lick'er Bakery. We gift libations that taste like baked goods! Pineapple upside down cake, Apple Pie, Peach Cobbler! Catch is you have to spin the wheel and lick something to get your treat!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
SF burners, I'll be playing at decompression 4-4:45 at the 21st st stage (rhino redemption)!

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

The Portland Decompression is October 18th. Any portland burners should get y'alls tickets.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Anyone planning on going to Playa Del Fuego in Townsend, DE next week? Going to be my second year going and it looks like it's gonna to be just as muddy as last year!

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Alchemy(The Georgia Regional) was by far the best of the three burns I've been to so far. Incendias and Circus Combustus blew my mind.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011

slogsdon posted:

Alchemy(The Georgia Regional) was by far the best of the three burns I've been to so far. Incendias and Circus Combustus blew my mind.

It was amazing this year. It is the only regional I've ever been to, but it's the 7th year I've been. Incendia is probably the coolest camp ever. We are probably going to go to Serendipity in TN next year. Much smaller, but I've heard good things about it.

Did you stop by Bizzarnival? That's my camp.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

LoveMeDead posted:

It was amazing this year. It is the only regional I've ever been to, but it's the 7th year I've been. Incendia is probably the coolest camp ever. We are probably going to go to Serendipity in TN next year. Much smaller, but I've heard good things about it.

Did you stop by Bizzarnival? That's my camp.

I believe I did Thursday night in between drinking at science. Memory of that night is a bit spotty though :v:

I'd like to go to Serendipity if I can next year. Usually I go to Euphoria but that's right in the middle of finals so I may have to miss that this year.

I just want to go to a summer regional so I don't have to wear/carry around 7 layers on burn night for when the temperature starts dropping like a rock.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.
You guys should checkout the Kentucky Regional, Reclaimation. It is the second weekend of May. This is my home burn and it really laid back but fun as hell! We even have real potties and hot showers!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking into buying tickets for next year. I don't have a ton of money to put aside for this, what is the resale policy for tickets that are bought? If for some reason I need to sell a ticket I bought in February is there going to be a problem?

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Burning man has an official resale market. You will be able to resell it extremely easily for face (and extremely easily for over face if you suck).

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Nifty posted:

Burning man has an official resale market. You will be able to resell it extremely easily for face (and extremely easily for over face if you suck).

Cool. I don't suck I'm not trying to screw people. 200+ dollars is a lot at my salary.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
THERE'S NO

B-BUSINESS LIKE

BUSINESS

THERE'S NOOO
B-BUSINESS LIKE
BUSINESS

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

You guys should checkout the Kentucky Regional, Reclaimation. It is the second weekend of May. This is my home burn and it really laid back but fun as hell! We even have real potties and hot showers!

...hot showers?

Sign me the gently caress up.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Magnus Gallant posted:

I'm looking into buying tickets for next year. I don't have a ton of money to put aside for this, what is the resale policy for tickets that are bought? If for some reason I need to sell a ticket I bought in February is there going to be a problem?

The resell policy is that if you try to sell your ticket above face value you can go gently caress yourself and your ticket can be voided if BM finds out.

Other than that you shouldn't have a problem selling the ticket to someone. :)

e: derp somehow missed this post. I'm :downs:

Magnus Gallant posted:

Cool. I don't suck I'm not trying to screw people. 200+ dollars is a lot at my salary.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Was it really that easy to find a fave value ticket the last couple weeks up to the event? I saw people walking the gate line and hanging around Gerlach looking to buy.

I was lucky and was able to snag 2 at the very end of STEP, had it not been for that I'm not sure two of my group would have been able to go.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004

Smeed posted:

Was it really that easy to find a fave value ticket the last couple weeks up to the event? I saw people walking the gate line and hanging around Gerlach looking to buy.

I was lucky and was able to snag 2 at the very end of STEP, had it not been for that I'm not sure two of my group would have been able to go.

One dude a couple cars down from mine (during the wait onto the playa) was gifted a free ticket.

He said he'd been asking for a ticket for 5 hours.

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

slogsdon posted:

...hot showers?

Sign me the gently caress up.

You don't have PM's but if you are really interested, feel free to email me at jessicias@gmail.com or email me and I will give you my facebook and we can chat some about it!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

mitztronic posted:

SF burners, I'll be playing at decompression 4-4:45 at the 21st st stage (rhino redemption)!

https://soundcloud.com/jonmitz/decompression-2014

Hope to play many more sets than this year at next year's BM!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Reno Decom is this Saturday! Goon meet?

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

This video is GREAT. Short (3:24), great footage, works with the music, tries to answer "What is Burning Man?": http://vimeo.com/106365480

Also: Here's my ~house music~ set from the Reno Decompression, which was incredible: https://soundcloud.com/alfaj0r/alfaj0r-live-decompression-reno-2014 :pcgaming:

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Making my yearly post. Is anyone attending Florida AfterBurn this year?

Terminus
May 6, 2008
So apparently my burn group has decided that yes, we are going to Frostburn this year, a winter burn that takes in place in the West Virginia mountains, on a mountaintop, in the middle of February. Anyone been to this or other cold time burns before? I want to get an idea of how bad this is going to be before I decide to disregard all logic and go anyway.

Eldritch Sandwich
Nov 1, 2007
Baked by Beelzebub
I've been to Frostburn before, and it was loving cold. Lots of fun though! Make sure you have winter rated camping gear. Pay a visit to White Dragon Noodle Bar for hot noodles and broth and Totenkitten for big dumb fire art to keep warm!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Simpsons version of BRC was pretty faithful

Especially the space coyote

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

BlueBayou posted:

Simpsons version of BRC was pretty faithful

Especially the space coyote

I was actually pretty shocked, it was complete with fire spinners and a drum circle. I had a nice chuckle at the tuba guy.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
The Tuba guy is actually David Silverman, who plays a flaming tuba at the Burn and also happens to be one of the head honchos on The Simpsons.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

OniKun posted:

The Tuba guy is actually David Silverman, who plays a flaming tuba at the Burn and also happens to be one of the head honchos on The Simpsons.

Holy poo poo, really?!
He's one of the first guys I ever saw at my very first burn. I had no idea he was David Silverman. That is so awesome

I watched him play for a while.

gadgethugs
Apr 15, 2007
Love that tubatron.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

OniKun posted:

That's awesome...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Shot in the dark, but does anyone know how to get involved with The Generator in Reno?

Wife and I are new to Reno, and probably wouldn't make a burn, but she's one mean artist and I am relatively handy. Especially with electrical. Looking for a big project to join.

• Locked thread