Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

quote:

D Saber Wind Parrying (Fighter)
Just guards can be performed the instant the Double Saber’s whirlwind appear.

Oh loving finally, it always throws me off that the shift key never actually parries despite looking like it could.

That other ranger one, damage up all the time huh? I'll take it alongside standing snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Does One More Time stack with itself

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
The weapon type resistance mechanic seems pretty harsh for classes that tend to specialize in one weapon type, but then again, if you're rolling with 11 other dudes with a decent mix, it probably won't be too big of a deal. What I really wanna see is what the deal is with those class EX cube skill point trade ins, though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Someone mentioned before that twin daggers are good for staying airborne against large targets, and I get that, but how do I deal with smaller ones? I can not keep them in an air combo with these things no matter what I do; so many of the attacks knock the enemy (or me) away.

Also it's jarring as hell going from a few days of Assassin's Creed combat back to this. The character actually responds to my inputs right away in this one!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Someone mentioned before that twin daggers are good for staying airborne against large targets, and I get that, but how do I deal with smaller ones? I can not keep them in an air combo with these things no matter what I do; so many of the attacks knock the enemy (or me) away.

Also it's jarring as hell going from a few days of Assassin's Creed combat back to this. The character actually responds to my inputs right away in this one!

Bloody sarabande is pretty much the go-to for mobbing with tdaggers

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Saagonsa posted:

Bloody sarabande is pretty much the go-to for mobbing with tdaggers
I tried that, but I had little luck hitting things I had just launched with Shoot Polka. Is there some other launching method I am not getting?

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I'm not too well practiced with daggers, but I find them to be the weakest mobbing tools a fighter has. Bloody Sarabande is the best thing you'll have for mobbing due to its wide AoE.
I suggest if you're going to be mobbing with it, setting Sarabande on your first PA slot, dashing towards a group to pull out your daggers, make a short hop to boost your gear gauge one level, then do a mid-air twirl to get the last level and PA out of that. Juggling is rather hit-or-miss depending on what you're trying to attack, and as far as I'm aware, your "make enemy airborne" moves have a very small range meaning you'll likely only launch one or two enemies, separating them from the mob and defeating the purpose of attacking the entire group at once with Sarabande.

Take what I say with a grain of salt though, as I only really use my daggers against certain bosses. I tend to use Chaos Rise with doublesabers for the sake of mobbing personally.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Yeah, I find tdaggers are kinda bad against smaller enemies.

They're best for larger bosses or ones that stand still for a good while, letting you get some combos off.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MR. J posted:

Take what I say with a grain of salt though, as I only really use my daggers against certain bosses. I tend to use Chaos Rise with doublesabers for the sake of mobbing personally.
Yeah, Chaos Rise followed by Illusion Rave is my bread and butter with double saber. If twin daggers really are not so good against small enemies, that's fine; I was just curious if I was missing something.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I haven't ran fighter without techer or bouncer so I always just Zondeel'd everything into my daggers :v:

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.
Yeah, before Chaos Riser, I think Bloody Sarabande was Fighters only real mobbing option, everything else was just too narrow. Outside of cross class weapons, but then it's not really fighter anymore.

How I used it back then was a dash to get the daggers out, a jump followed by a spin to get the gear charged and then JA from the spin.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finished the last story stage of episode 2 tonight. Fighting a Dark Vibras alone was kind of rough. At least I got to hear Matoi go on and on about how she just wanted to be a normal girl.

Why am I doing the story missions again...?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why am I doing the story missions again...?

Stockholm Syndrome and/or matter board rewards.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

Stockholm Syndrome and/or matter board rewards.
Ironically, the souped-up one star weapons I am using now came from the matter board in episode 2, but I didn't know that at the time so I bought them all from user shops.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The NPCs are my friends and I want to help them.

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo

Devour or Fire posted:

The NPCs are my friends and I want to help them.

I'm trying to do the story missions but I have to actually complete my matterboard and that seems like a lot of work for no real benefit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
As usual with JRPGs, I find some of the bit characters really amusing but can't wait for the main characters to shut up.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mazzletoff posted:

I'm trying to do the story missions but I have to actually complete my matterboard and that seems like a lot of work for no real benefit.

lots of triboosters and such on the matterboards now, actually pretty worth it if you want to grind fast by using the triboosts during EMs.

Id find the matterboard a lot tolerable if 90% of the cutscenes weren't just "you stand there while a npc talks about nothing for 2 minutes straight" while you're trying to play something.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eh some of the event tablets are interesting, but yeah the majority of the episode one tablets you should just hit "esc > skip to end or next choice"

anything with gertmert in ep1, most of the matterboard main path ones in ep2 are alright I think; pretty sure the final matterboard has Xiao :words: the entire backstory leading up to the creation of the ARKS and causally name-drop The [Profound Darkness]. not sure what to say about ep3 yet though.

did finally get what dewmans are supposed to be this time around; or at least I think I do.

something like they first artifically produced a lifeform the story refers to as Hadred the Chrome Dragon, then Luther or some of his cronies took that data and jammed related objects into people to make them into Dewmans :shrug:

still not totally clear I guess...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Samurai Sanders posted:

As usual with JRPGs, I find some of the bit characters really amusing but can't wait for the main characters to shut up.

I ain't your fuckin' aibo, Afin.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

NextTime000 posted:

something like they first artifically produced a lifeform the story refers to as Hadred the Chrome Dragon, then Luther or some of his cronies took that data and jammed related objects into people to make them into Dewmans :shrug:

Something like that yeah. Io mentions them digging up a fossil that was "dragon like, but different" or something.

I dunno if it makes more or less sense than "became a SEED-form for a bit then somehow became humanoid again and even more of a mega-playboy also eye lasers".

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I ain't your fuckin' aibo, Afin.

I yell AIBOU!!! in chat every single time I see Afin during a trial.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Something like that yeah. Io mentions them digging up a fossil that was "dragon like, but different" or something.

I dunno if it makes more or less sense than "became a SEED-form for a bit then somehow became humanoid again and even more of a mega-playboy also eye lasers".

When you get to a point where humanity created space elves because they want to genetically engineer themselves to be pretty animes, I think you'd stop caring.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

When you get to a point where humanity created space elves because they want to genetically engineer themselves to be pretty animes, I think you'd stop caring.

Don't forget engineering a race of furries to strip mine a planet.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

That is a point where you COMPLETELY stop caring.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
PSO2 is hosed up and I miss it a lot

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My magic mag had the Ketos Proi photon blast, which just flies around refilling PP (and not even fast enough for me to rapid-fire spells), and that sucks. So, I saved up 8 excubes and switched it with Ketos Nifta, which shoots lighting. The problem is that it doesn't seem to track enemies at all; if they aren't all clustered around just the right place, it won't do poo poo.

How did I end up accidentally getting (presumably) the worst two photon blasts in the game?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ketos proi is the only functional pb in the game, actually, especially if you're using techs which I assume you are if you got it.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
^ Look someone smarter than me posted a thing

I too had PP whale for a while an made sure it naturally switched before to something else before my mag reached the level cap.

I think I had the rushing unicorn at the end? Its almost impossible to actually aim it but if both rushes land on a weak bullet spot it does a huge amount of damage. A lot of people like Sword Leo too since he follows you attacking what you attack but I'm not sure how strong it is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Devour or Fire posted:

Ketos proi is the only functional pb in the game, actually, especially if you're using techs which I assume you are if you got it.
"Functional"? Doing damage while I sit back and gulp potions or whatever, like most of the pb's do, isn't considered functional?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think you will find that Punchlady is the best PB.

:colbert:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think you will find that Punchlady is the best PB.

:colbert:
That was the PB on the first mag, and still by far my favorite.

Anyway, if I'm interpreting it right, by the endgame, the damage a PB can do will be nothing compared to the damage my player can do if being supplied with PP like that? Well, that's still a long ways away I think, so I'll stick with PB's that do damage for now.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 17, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you want that, the good damage pbs are the three excube shop exclusive sword guys that only target what you attack for acceptable numbers and the Julius whatever type that make a gravity well that acts like a mega zondeel.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
What's your class? Ketos Proi is the best PB in the world to a force with PP Charge Revival. Otherwise it's a bit of a tossup to what you prefer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MR. J posted:

What's your class? Ketos Proi is the best PB in the world to a force with PP Charge Revival. Otherwise it's a bit of a tossup to what you prefer.
Techer with Wand Lovers. Force is the only class that I can't find anything fun to do with.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

ive never really used any pb bsides the default ones on my mags because :effort: if i even bother to use them at all. the new combo tech forces and techers get charges like a PB, I wonder if it uses the same meter PBs do and replaces it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't realize people were so meh on PBs. They are definitely my emergency action if I am surrounded by enemies and need to slip away to heal. Well, when I'm doing Braver, katana combat can do the same thing, but it never helps to have a backup to a backup.

I am looking forward to those combo things though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 17, 2014

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
PBs outside of KP and JN were garbage for the longest time because they did not scale well, if at all, by the time you get to VH.

These days they scale well, but it helps to know which PB scales on what stat.

All of the unicorn PBs scale on S-atk. You have the standard one that charges through mobs, the one that perfoms a combo attack that ends in a stomp, and the one which is a stationary but does an AoE lightning attack.

The jellyfish ones all go off of R-atk. The most common one fires explosive shots at whatever. Then there is the one that is basically the old PSO1 pb that fires a lazer into the sky then comes back raining down on nearby enemies. And then I guess the last one fires a homing shot but I have never see it.

Big fish with the double helix body are (mostly) T-ATK based. The standard one regenerates your pp and provides a light heal. Another one fires a gently caress-off lazer. And the 3rd one creates a lasting lightning storm that follows you like a giant aura.

Arm lady scales dependant on the pb. Teleport punching scales on S-atk. Gravity vortex scales on T-atk. And summon a shitload of swords that stab everything is R-atk I guess.

Ilos also scales differently per pb. Swing sword at what you last hit is S-atk obviously. The R-atk one fires sword shockwaves like speed rain. And the T-ATK one does a really slow but high damaging explosion.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NextTime000 posted:

Big fish with the double helix body are (mostly) T-ATK based. The standard one regenerates your pp and provides a light heal. Another one fires a gently caress-off lazer. And the 3rd one creates a lasting lightning storm that follows you like a giant aura.
Oh, so it's following ME. I was holding still so I could work out where it was going, so of course it wasn't moving either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
So a thing happened on PSOW tonight:

:suspense:

• Locked thread