Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The next Animal Crossing has to be amazing since New Leaf is amazing. However, it's easy to get burnt out on it. Like, insanely easy. I had the game for a few months and played day-by-day only to turn it on once every few months a little while after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

oddium posted:

Playing the first Animal Crossing and then essentially three of the same ones for at least a year each has really burned me out on them. If they do make another one I hope they make the town huge and full of like 30 villagers that draw from more than a pool of six personalities.

They won't, and you'll buy it anyway

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I sent my Gamecube memory card to a dude on Gamefaqs to unlock the hidden Super Mario Bros/Legend of Zelda NES games in Animal Crossing. He also unlocked the Fusion suit in Prime for me except he did something to my save that put me back at just arriving at Phendrana Drifts instead of just getting the Phazon Suit. That's my story of when I was 13 or something thanks

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know if I can go back to console Animal Crossing. City Life wasn't nearly as good as Wild World, and New Leaf is just about perfect.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Imagine an Animal Crossing where the villagers have Dwarf Fortress levels of random personality. Actually just imagine a Dwarf Fortress version of Animal Crossing

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

hrpff posted:

Tropical freeze is cool but I can't see myself ever going back to it after I finish it. 100%ing Mario 3dworld is no big deal because the levels are quick and easy to go through a second time but in DK it takes me so long that I usually need a break after finishing just one or two levels. The rocket barrel level in world 6 was total horse poo poo.

man the only thing i was ever good at was stupid loving video games and now i suck at them too
if i'm having my mid-life crisis in my twenties does that mean i only have about twenty more years to go because that sounds a little more manageable

Welcome to adulthood. Check your dignity at the door.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

sharrrk posted:

it's good to take a break from sonic adventure 2's soundtrack every now and then

this is false

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
New Animal Crossing will be amazing because every Amiibo ever made will be compatible with it as a statue for your house probably

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I think I could be down for a console Animal Crossing. I play my 3DS pretty much solely in my house, so I can't see it being that much different from New Leaf.

Also, hey, I'm just getting back into Kirby's Dream Course from the Club Nintendo sale. Holy hell. That game is perfection of style plus simplistic golf fun.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
I finally beat Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones. It's really good. My review is up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpVCyOrMDSg
tl;dw - it's a puzzle platformer metroidvania-esque thing with a really solid difficulty throughout. A range of gadgets which are all implemented very well. I really recommend it.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheRam posted:

I finally beat Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones. It's really good. My review is up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpVCyOrMDSg
tl;dw - it's a puzzle platformer metroidvania-esque thing with a really solid difficulty throughout. A range of gadgets which are all implemented very well. I really recommend it.
I don't have a Wii U (yet), but I really enjoyed your review. I just might make it part of my 'Wii U launch kit' when I pull the trigger.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

TheRam posted:

Thanks for these. Keep posting them. I find them highly informative and I'm actually gonna buy Stealth Inc. 2 based on this review.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

kater posted:

I didn't get through the very first level in TF the first time I played it just because it kept going on and on.

For me just now I quit on level 2. The game seems like a chore right off the bat

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Pegged Lamb posted:

For me just now I quit on level 2. The game seems like a chore right off the bat

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Austrian mook posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

For some people, it's a chore to try and restrain the giddy feeling such a great, fun game elicits right off the bat.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Seriously, the first world was kinda generic but extremely pretty. The second world was just fantastic all around. I'm only on the third world now, but I felt like I was back in the Lion King because the African grassland motif came across within seconds. I honestly can't say more good things about how fantastic the art direction is in this game. And it's a AAA platformer on top!

Of all of the phenomenal games I've played on the Wii U in the past 6 months, Tropical Freeze may be my favorite.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Pegged Lamb posted:

Is this code for, "The game was too hard"? I'm not even trying to be a dick, calling a fast-paced game a "chore" is a pretty puzzling statement.

TheRam posted:

I finally beat Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones. It's really good.
I was looking for an excuse to finish Scram Kitty, so I decided I wouldn't buy Stealth Inc. 2 until I finished it. I have just now finished Scram Kitty (it's really good, although the checkpointing is horrifically cruel for some levels).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I never finished Tropical Freeze because loving hell the final boss can go eat an entire vat of dicks, but that's par for the course when talking about DKC.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I dunno, the final bosses of the original trilogy were all pretty rad

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

njsykora posted:

I never finished Tropical Freeze because loving hell the final boss can go eat an entire vat of dicks, but that's par for the course when talking about DKC.

It's pretty hard, but you can do it!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
OG DKC has really terrible bosses.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

the original DKC trilogy is amazingly ugly and that there exists any debate about that fact is very distressing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

the original DKC trilogy is amazingly ugly and that there exists any debate about that fact is very distressing.

I think it's more that the animation looked really good for the time even if the "sprites" themselves didn't. The music is untouchable though

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Welp, I finished Bayonetta 2 and now I'm pretty dissapointed that I've got no more of the game to see. That's a pretty good sign, however.

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it's more that the animation looked really good for the time even if the "sprites" themselves didn't. The music is untouchable though

Tropical Freeze's music is on par or of higher quality than the originals.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
The music in DKC1 lends a terrifically thick atmosphere to the game for what it had to work with, but was pretty boring otherwise. Except for Aquatic Ambiance. That's a goodun'.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

also all the water levels in the dkc games were absolute, unmitigated trash without a single non-musical redeeming quality and they were right to get rid of them for dkcr and anyone who doesn't agree is a loving idiot moron who should have their rear end kicked frequently, and with conviction

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I like the water levels in Tropical Freeze, the way you have to think about how your character is actually oriented is interesting. It's an enjoyable challenge and doesn't just feel like a slow level like most water levels in games do. In fact one water level has music that greatly enhances sense of urgency during a chase and I love it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ultigonio posted:

The music in DKC1 lends a terrifically thick atmosphere to the game for what it had to work with, but was pretty boring otherwise. Except for Aquatic Ambiance. That's a goodun'.

Disagree! The later stages music is incredible as well. Nevermind Gangplank Galleon, Fear Factory is my favourite song in the game, probably.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

13/f/cali posted:

I like the water levels in Tropical Freeze, the way you have to think about how your character is actually oriented is interesting. It's an enjoyable challenge and doesn't just feel like a slow level like most water levels in games do. In fact one water level has music that greatly enhances sense of urgency during a chase and I love it.
Yeah, I personally think that radial controls for 2D swimming levels is almost always the way to go. They possibly could have been a little faster with controls a little tighter, but I'd say that the water world in DKCTF was probably one of my favorites.

I'll be joining you in the frequent-and-convicted-rear end-kicking box in a moment.

Hakkesshu posted:

Disagree! The later stages music is incredible as well. Nevermind Gangplank Galleon, Fear Factory is my favourite song in the game, probably.
Oh you know, that's my bad for forgetting Fear Factory. Other than that, the soundtrack is mostly really dull, quiet music. The complete lack of punch in the instruments doesn't help much, either, though a lot of SNES games that weren't Kirby suffered from this issue.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I'm not going to say all of it is amazing, but I do think it's all very interesting, especially considering the time it came out. Most of it doesn't really fit a fast-paced platformer, so it's easy to tell that it's just a deliberate creative choice that gives the game a really unique atmosphere. I probably wouldn't give a poo poo about that game today if it wasn't for the music alone.

2 has great music as well for that matter. As far as I'm concerned the soundtracks comprise the entire identity of that series.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 17, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

to clarify i meant the snes water levels

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

DoctorWhat posted:

to clarify i meant the snes water levels

Oh, yeah, those were not fun. DKC2 at least broke up the action with some land-based segments in some of them.

Darkness + water levels at the same time were the worst thing in the entire trilogy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kiddy Kong is the worst thing in the entire trilogy.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

More Amiibo news from Hyrule warriors:

quote:

Tap the Link™ amiibo figure to receive a new weapon to use in battle: the Spinner from The Legend of Zelda™: Twilight Princess game.

Tap the Zelda™ amiibo figure once per day to get a weapon rated 3 stars or higher.

Tap any other amiibo figure once per day to get a weapon rated 3 starts or lower, Rupee bonus or crafting material bonus.

Software update coming in late November 2014 will add amiibo functionality.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Fremry posted:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is way under rated. It's much better than SM3DW in my opinion. I have been putting it off as the last platformer to play on Wii U because it was rated lower than the others, but it is absolutely AAA levels of quality.
Under rated by who exactly? Everyone here raves about it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

irlZaphod posted:

Under rated by who exactly? Everyone here raves about it.

Gamespot gave it 6/10 but Gamespot is a joke of a website

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tropical Freeze got a lot of poo poo before release because people were pissed off that Retro wasn't working on a new Metroid game or whatever.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
It was also at a time where every Wii U review needed to include a variation of the phrase "it's not worth buying a Wii U for."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shelf Adventure posted:

It was also at a time where every Wii U review needed to include a variation of the phrase "it's not worth buying a Wii U for."

"This game is good, but won't save the WiiU. Next!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

"This game is good, but won't save the WiiU. Next!"

I was looking up something in GameFaqs the other day, and they have suggested GameSpot articles on the bottoms of their pages. Of course the first one I saw was a brand new "The Wii U is dying and will be phased out quietly very soon" article. -_-

• Locked thread