Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

IMO Kiniro Mosaic was mediocre as hell. If you want a feel-good slice of life show from that year, GJ-bu and Non Non Biyori are much better choices.

Coming from someone who lives in England, the storyline interests me quite a lot, so I am going to give it a go. Thanks for the recommendations everyone :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Seconding Barakamon. I've watched most of the other things people suggested and they're all good suggestions too, but Barakamon is seriously the sweetest show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No anime has made me feel warm fuzzier than Ping Pong The Animation.

Emalde posted:

Kiniro Mosaic. It can turn any jaded anime fan into a tiny girl who squeals with glee.

The wrongest post. Non Non Byori is better if you're looking for a cute girls doing cute things show, and enjoy something that is deliberately slow. Oh, and the obvious K-ON and Azumanga Diaoh.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Samael posted:

Goons, can you recommend some uplifting anime that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside? Kind of a vague requirement but I just want an anime that I can switch off too and cheer myself up with.

Usagi Drop was short and awesome. Just don't ever read the stuff beyond the anime adaptation. :stonk:

Also, Barakamon was very fun

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Razzled posted:

Usagi Drop was short and awesome. Just don't ever read the stuff beyond the anime adaptation. :stonk:

Beat me by 10 minutes, so I'll just second the recommendation.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Samael posted:

Goons, can you recommend some uplifting anime that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside? Kind of a vague requirement but I just want an anime that I can switch off too and cheer myself up with.

Soranowoto is really chill.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Samael posted:

Azumanga Daioh is still the best for this, even in the face of the moe renaissance.

edit: or just read Yotsubato

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 15, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Soranowoto is really chill.

Kinda boring though, despite the interesting setting.

Seconding Non Non Biyori for warm fuzzies.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Samael posted:

On top of the shows people have mentioned, I'll add Hidamari Sketch, Aria, and Tamayura. Of the ones that others have mentioned, I'd most recommend Non Non Biyori, Barakamon, and Sora no Woto.

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 15, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sketchbook is the only other one to come to mind not yet mentioned. For warm fuzzies though, Aria, Tamayura, and Non Non Biyori are probably the best options I've seen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Samael posted:

Yeah, definitely Usagi Drop's anime adaptation.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Finally wrapped up Clannad + After Story. It was pretty good, but drat it took a while for it to pay off. In fact, I kind of feel like Clannad was only worth watching because of After Story. It went from stock standard to actually pretty moving stuff. In particular episode 18 was a waterworks for me. The second season really took me by surprise in that they actually went on to marriage and a child. I was kind of bummed out that Usagi Drop was only 1 cour and this kinda filled in that hole pretty nicely with some great father-daughter moments.

The end was a little strange to me that they decided to kind of "cop out" and have Nagisa come back to life--although I guess they did kind of set the precedent for multiple dimensions blah blah. I was actually ok with the reality where Nagisa dies after the birth of Ushio, but Ushio dying too was a bit too much so I'm glad that didn't stick.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah Clannad is only noteworthy because of after story, it'd be just a somewhat above average vn adaptation without it

Also the ending is a relic of the vn, where you got that ending by completing every route and getting all the light orbs, it doesn't work as well in a straight adaptation

you can always pretend it ends at episode 18

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
While nothing is changed between the two adaptations, the fact that you have wade through so many other endings in the VN gives it a feeling that you have go through a lot of effort to reach that conclusion. So, in a sense, it feels more cathartic. Whereas in the anime since it's one timeline it feels like Tomoya just went back in time and everything was fine. It's basically the only part of the anime that didn't quite surpass the original.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
That and Kyou's arc suffered a bit from being clipped as severely as it did to fit it in one episode.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is ryou or kyou the boring one?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Cake Attack posted:

I didn't even recognize ryou so I'm gonna guess Kyou is the cool one who beats the poo poo out of Sunohara

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Are there any anime comedies as well made and well directed as the second season of Working?

I don't just mean funny. It's not nearly as funny as Nichibros or DMC, but the quality is much higher. It took something really boring and made it enjoyable through sheer execution, unlike the pretty awful first season.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cake Attack posted:

ryou's the one so boring that her ending is technically a bad ending.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Samael posted:

Aria the animation and its sequels.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mercrom posted:

Are there any anime comedies as well made and well directed as the second season of Working?

I don't just mean funny. It's not nearly as funny as Nichibros or DMC, but the quality is much higher. It took something really boring and made it enjoyable through sheer execution, unlike the pretty awful first season.
You mean aside from Servant x Service?

Seto No Hanayome is an old goon favorite.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
One of my favorite comedy shows at this point has to be Sket Dance. It's great.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Seto No Hanayome is an old goon favorite.

Yeah, Seto No Hanayome is pretty cool, it's like Urusei Yatsura 2.0 (which is also an awesome show which had very bad influence on the industry if that makes sense).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun is a great, funny manga with an excellently made anime.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun is a great, funny manga with an excellently made anime.
It was pretty funny and had some great characters but I wouldn't call it excellently made. It's about what I'd expect from a gag comic adaptation. There's not much sense of place or continuity. I meant something more cinematic.

Paracelsus posted:

What little I saw from that show was incredibly lazy tsukkomi jokes repeated over and over with no style whatsoever against flat backgrounds. It's the perfect example of what I'm not looking for.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So I watched Usagi Drop (the anime) and thought it was absolutely adorable, but did not see the warnings for the manga and oh my god what did I just read D:

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Samael posted:

So I watched Usagi Drop (the anime) and thought it was absolutely adorable, but did not see the warnings for the manga and oh my god what did I just read D:

Woody Allen: The Anime

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samael posted:

Just out of morbid curiosity from someone who hasn't seen either the manga or anime, and is just aware of the premise, what does the manga do?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of morbid curiosity from someone who hasn't seen either the manga or anime, and is just aware of the premise, what does the manga do?

You know how your really young niece might get attached to you and say "I'm going to marry you when I grow up!"? Well, basically that, except there's no blood relations anywhere so it's played completely seriously because that's how manga do.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Spoiler for the manga-

Main Character takes cares of a kid who he thought who was his grandad's son, kid gets older, he finds out that the girl isn't related to the grandad whatsoever, skip ~50 chapters and girl, now in high school develops feelings for guy who has been looking after him for 10 years and then also finds out they aren't related, ending is they start to go out with each other (with girl around ~16-17 and he's like 42)

edit: beaten

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Emalde posted:

You know how your really young niece might get attached to you and say "I'm going to marry you when I grow up!"? Well, basically that, except there's no blood relations anywhere so it's played completely seriously because that's how manga do.
It's worth pointing out that this is treated as a "twist" at the very end and thus up until that point we are led to believe they are blood related. So it's both super creepy and an asspull. It retroactively poisons the well for the innocuous first half of the story.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In case reading the spoilers threatens to scare you away from it, I was aware of what the manga does when I first started watching the anime. It in no way lessened my enjoyment of the show, at least not beyond "man this is a great show, it's too bad the source material takes it in a bad direction." The show really is that sweet.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Che Delilas posted:

In case reading the spoilers threatens to scare you away from it, I was aware of what the manga does when I first started watching the anime. It in no way lessened my enjoyment of the show, at least not beyond "man this is a great show, it's too bad the source material takes it in a bad direction." The show really is that sweet.

Oh yeah definitely. I didn't care at all because the anime was self-contained and very awesome.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Samael posted:

Spoiler for the manga-

Main Character takes cares of a kid who he thought who was his grandad's son, kid gets older, he finds out that the girl isn't related to the grandad whatsoever, skip ~50 chapters and girl, now in high school develops feelings for guy who has been looking after him for 10 years and then also finds out they aren't related, ending is they start to go out with each other (with girl around ~16-17 and he's like 42)

edit: beaten

Isn't Usagi Drop josei? Why would a josei have something like that? :wtf:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

A lot of manga for women are creepy as gently caress so it's not surprising when something like this happens.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

A lot of manga for women are creepy as gently caress so it's not surprising when something like this happens.

Well, the bright side here is that Japan of all countries is being equal opportunity creepy. Anime is an engine for social justice it seems

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Twilight is a quick example that it's the sort of thing that happens all 'round the world.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

the same reason a lot of romantic comedies in asia portray stalking as romantic, people can be dumb

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
I dunno, it's hard for me to think of a 16 (?) year old pining for an older, caring and affectionate father-figure type guy as creepy. If it were the other way round and the older guy were playing the innocent school girl to sleep with him that could be creepy, yeah. I haven't read the manga, though, so I might be completely wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hes not just a father figure, he's her father every way but genetically, and she's not just pining for him, they actually become a couple. Its hosed man

• Locked thread