Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe it depends on how much you're spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's Whole Foods, you are spending a lot regardless.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A lot of retailers don't make you sign under $25, others go up to $50.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

It does.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Feenix posted:

Follow up on my restore (removing Jailbreak) in my 6+:

It's only been one day since my charge ( well, I unplugged it at 7am and it's now 11pm. (And also I'd characterize my usage today as a tad light, but not far off my previous days.) but I still have more than 50% battery left whereas the last couple of weeks by 8pm it's been giving me a warning of 20%.

I'll keep my eye on it.

Day 2. Used the same apps (Paper, Safari, Awful App, Golfinity, a couple other things) that I had been in previous weeks when I was getting bad battery on my 6+. I even tried to use it MORE than normal today. It's 10:14pm and I have 45% of my battery left, whereas in the past I'd have had the 20% warning hours ago. So far, lack of Jailbreak has definitely had a seemingly net-positive effect on my battery drain.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I spent under 50 everytime was just buying lunch

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any recommendations on a good double din iphone 6 compatible stereo for my old hooptie? I have one but it's probably 8+ years old now. I'd like to be able to plug in my phone to charge and be able to use it for spotify, etc. I guess I don't really need bluetooth since I can just charge it through the device, ideally. If it could display apple maps on the screen instead of it's own GPS that would be cool too. Also being able to hook up my old ipod would be cool.

I'd like to just find one I like and buy it through a local vendor so I can both support them and not have them gauge me on worker fees. (Would like it professionally installed) or I may just buy it online and have someone on craigslist do it.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 17, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Christoff posted:

Any recommendations on a good double din iphone 6 compatible stereo for my old hooptie? I have one but it's probably 8+ years old now. I'd like to be able to plug in my phone to charge and be able to use it for spotify, etc. I guess I don't really need bluetooth since I can just charge it through the device, ideally. If it could display apple maps on the screen instead of it's own GPS that would be cool too. Also being able to hook up my old ipod would be cool.

I'd like to just find one I like and buy it through a local vendor so I can both support them and not have them gauge me on worker fees. (Would like it professionally installed) or I may just buy it online and have someone on craigslist do it.

I bought this with a double din box thing from crutchfield for like 70 bucks with the harness, and it works great. iTunes/Pandora/IHeartRadio controls from the head unit through USB, or you can use a 1/8" audio cable for other devices. No map screen, but I just bought a cradle for my dash and it works for me.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jKgW6LyW0hb/p_105KDX210/JVC-KD-X210.html

I never installed a head unit before, but I did this one myself and it works great. Not much to gently caress up, honestly.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Christoff posted:

I have this model of Alpine in my car - the CDE-W235BT:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-w235bt

Works with my iPhone 6 in both USB and BT mode.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, the cashier said it was $50.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried Apple paying at Best Buy and it vibrated and said successful on my phone but the reader said "Contactless payment not accepted." What the hell? Has anyone figured out what's going on when your phone said it worked but the retailer says it doesn't? I know the payment didn't actually go through I'm just wondering why.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I tried Apple paying at Best Buy and it vibrated and said successful on my phone but the reader said "Contactless payment not accepted." What the hell? Has anyone figured out what's going on when your phone said it worked but the retailer says it doesn't? I know the payment didn't actually go through I'm just wondering why.

Best Buy, Target and some other retailers are not accepting Apple Pay.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It is because Best Buy has disabled the NFC payments in their system, but their payment terminal's NFC reader is still live so the phone still thinks it's good. It is not a 2-way communication, your phone just senses the field and sends a message at the reader.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FYI, they finally added an option to turn off the Siri dictation button on the keyboard. Settings > General > Keyboard > Enable Dictation. I guess this is an iOS 8.1 feature?

I really enjoy having a wider space-bar.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

smackfu posted:

FYI, they finally added an option to turn off the Siri dictation button on the keyboard. Settings > General > Keyboard > Enable Dictation. I guess this is an iOS 8.1 feature?

I really enjoy having a wider space-bar.

Is there a way to get rid of the stupid emoji button?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Keystoned posted:

Is there a way to get rid of the stupid emoji button?

Yes, you can remove the Emoji keyboard in the same settings page... but you don't get any space back. The "123" button is just changed to double-width.

Serf Surviving
Aug 19, 2013
Okay, well this is a bizarre situation.

My girlfriend dropped her iPhone 6+ 16GB on the street as I was dropping her off at home and I ended up running it over with my car! The screen is destroyed and glass is chipping off, the camera is loose and most definitely broken, and the home button is loose and nearly falling off. The phone is hosed, pretty much. Although it does still take calls and her alarm has been going off so it seems to be okay internally.

My question is, what is the cheapest way we can go about replacing this or fixing this? We're new to the Apple scene and we ended up going to an Apple Store expecting to pay the $129 repair price in which they told us they'd replace it for $329, which is the equivalent of buying a new phone. Are there any alternatives to Applecare that would be cheaper or maybe an alternative way of approaching Applecare? Maybe buying Applecare+ and paying the $79 repair fee? Or is the damage too severe and we just need to fork over the 300 bucks to replace it entirely? Apologies for all the questions, we just want to know what can be done. On the bright side, my iPhone 6+ 64GB comes in on Tuesday, so I'm pretty drat excited.

Serf Surviving fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 17, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

300 bucks isn't the equivalent of a new iPhone. You're out of luck, should've bought AppleCare. Also you're not going to be able to trick them by getting insurance after the fact.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What a crazy confluence of events. She dropped it and then you ran over it in your car. Did a carpenter then come by and strike it a few times with a hammer by accident?

Pay the $329 and move on.

Serf Surviving
Aug 19, 2013
She unknowingly dropped it and it landed right under my tire. I pulled away and we heard the crushing sound and that was it. Awful luck.
But yeah, thank you guys for the replies. Unfortunate situation but I guess we'll just pay up.

Serf Surviving fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 17, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Serf Surviving posted:

She unknowingly dropped it and it landed right under my tire. I pulled away and we heard the crushing sound and that was it. Awful luck.
But yeah, thank you guys for the replies. Unfortunate situation but I guess we'll just pay up.

its 129$ at the Apple store is screen only, if the camera is loose then you're boned. sorry man.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

What a crazy confluence of events. She dropped it and then you ran over it in your car. Did a carpenter then come by and strike it a few times with a hammer by accident?

To be honest, if she dropped it and then it wasn't run over, he probably wouldn't be posting here.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Check with your credit card issuer, many have 90 days' accidental damage coverage on purchases. At the very least maybe you can get the $329 reimbursed by your credit card company.

moz
Jul 20, 2001
My reality check bounced.
As someone who bounces between stock Android and iOS on and off, TouchID & Apple Pay are turning into difficult things to give up.

Worked seamlessly the places I've tried it (Meijer, Toys R' Us, Subway), and it's to the point that not having TouchID to unlock my device is an annoyance if I use something else.

moz fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 17, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've managed to successfully use apple pay once. As excited as I was when it was introduced, no place I go to regularly accepts it. I went out of my way just so I could try it at a Walgreens. Pretty disappointed with the whole thing so far. I hope that stupid CurrentC push hasn't boned apple pay.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Whataburger accepts it, and thats all that really matters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CurrentC will die a slow death when the associated retailers realize that it's an enormous hassle for even the few people who are willing to give them all the info necessary for it to work (even ignoring the possibility of a class-action suit against them). At worst, it has slowed adoption of NFC payments, but it certainly hasn't killed it. This all ignores that retailers will all have to upgrade their equipment in the coming year, anyway, and NFC readers will likely be included along with the chip and PIN stuff.

But yeah, so far the only places I been that accept it are McDonald's and Whole Foods, and it works well at both.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Suqit posted:

Whataburger accepts it, and thats all that really matters.

oh poo poo

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

This all ignores that retailers will all have to upgrade their equipment in the coming year, anyway, and NFC readers will likely be included along with the chip and PIN stuff.
Yep. The new chip-capable readers I've seen at Target, for sure, are the same Verifone units that Panera and Whole Foods have. Target's just disabled NFC when configuring the readers. The tap target is right under the screen, and the ones at Target just don't display the on-screen symbol indicating NFC's accepted.

I give them 12 months before they cave and turn it on.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

kitten smoothie posted:

Yep. The new chip-capable readers I've seen at Target, for sure, are the same Verifone units that Panera and Whole Foods have. Target's just disabled NFC when configuring the readers. The tap target is right under the screen, and the ones at Target just don't display the on-screen symbol indicating NFC's accepted.

I give them 12 months before they cave and turn it on.

Weren't they called out in the keynote as "coming soon" in stores? They already support it in the iOS app.

e: but they aren't in the "coming later this year" section of Apple's website so I guess not.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Any reason why the apps I update through iTunes no longer sync/transfer to my iPhone automatically as they used to when I hit Sync? I have to go into the iPhone's app listing in iTunes and press "Update" to force it to transfer the new version onto the phone.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Images partially loading on AT&T network issue update: It seems like it's working now. I guess they figured it out. :shrug:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

various cheeses posted:

Images partially loading on AT&T network issue update: It seems like it's working now. I guess they figured it out. :shrug:

Did you install 8.1.1 to fix it?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

trilljester posted:

Did you install 8.1.1 to fix it?

Hah, I didn't even know there was a software update.

I was just browsing and realized it wasn't loving up anymore.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

various cheeses posted:

Hah, I didn't even know there was a software update.

I was just browsing and realized it wasn't loving up anymore.

Hehehe, yeah, it was just released.

Oh yeah, 8.1.1 is out folks.

According to Apple, the update “includes bug fixes, increased stability and performance improvements for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.”

I'm throwing it on my old iPhone 5, make sure it doesn't blow up then going with the 6. I have an iPad 2 and an original Mini, so hopefully this will improve performance as they claim, because iOS 8 is awful on my iPad 2.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Serf Surviving posted:

Okay, well this is a bizarre situation.

My girlfriend dropped her iPhone 6+ 16GB on the street as I was dropping her off at home and I ended up running it over with my car! The screen is destroyed and glass is chipping off, the camera is loose and most definitely broken, and the home button is loose and nearly falling off. The phone is hosed, pretty much. Although it does still take calls and her alarm has been going off so it seems to be okay internally.

My question is, what is the cheapest way we can go about replacing this or fixing this? We're new to the Apple scene and we ended up going to an Apple Store expecting to pay the $129 repair price in which they told us they'd replace it for $329, which is the equivalent of buying a new phone. Are there any alternatives to Applecare that would be cheaper or maybe an alternative way of approaching Applecare? Maybe buying Applecare+ and paying the $79 repair fee? Or is the damage too severe and we just need to fork over the 300 bucks to replace it entirely? Apologies for all the questions, we just want to know what can be done. On the bright side, my iPhone 6+ 64GB comes in on Tuesday, so I'm pretty drat excited.

I ran over my own iphone last week :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Phones are not roads, people. Stop driving on them.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Also, $300 isn't "basically buying a new iPhone".

I know a lot of people don't really understand cell contracts and the people running the cell companies aren't helping much at all but if you were to just walk into a store and try to buy a new iPhone 6 it would be like $800.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

$649. That's the price of an iPhone 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
$649, $749, $849, or $949. Those are the prices of an iPhone 6.