Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Ugh, the whole Solar System challenge, I was like, "This is annoying, but I can deal with this." But I could not do enough damage to Mom's Heart. If only I'd found that pay to win item in the shop--I won a dollar from a slot machine. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Rollersnake posted:

Uggggh, that's it. I've been picking it up because I like charge shots, and I've had chocolate milk show up exactly once.

It's a good item, ignore all haters.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The hell do you salvage a run where a reroll room gave you soy milk?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Wait, let me get this straight: to actually, fully, completely 100% the game, you need to not only beat the Chest, Dark Room, and Boss Rush with the Lost, but do all of those on Hard too, as well as on Hard for each of those on every other character?

:psyduck:

I'm dead, this game has killed me. When they find my body there will be a note next to it detailing my crippling Stockholm Syndrome that lead me to die playing this game (of old age, of course)

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Can anyone who has real platinum god get me a screen shot of the completed item pages, I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing other than godhead still. Looking again I managed to find a collection page so never mind.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 17, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

dis astranagant posted:

Pray for Charcoal?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Isaac turns to a different faith in order to combat his mom's fundamentalism.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
A fun new challenge would be one that starts you with Three-Dollar Bill, Rainbow Baby, Liberty Cap and Dead Sea Scrolls.

You could call it "Procedural Gameplay!"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

A fun new challenge would be one that starts you with Three-Dollar Bill, Rainbow Baby, Liberty Cap and Dead Sea Scrolls.

You could call it "Procedural Gameplay!"

Nah, it starts you with MissingNo. Possibly a special version that triggers every room instead of every floor.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Logan 5 posted:

Wait, let me get this straight: to actually, fully, completely 100% the game, you need to not only beat the Chest, Dark Room, and Boss Rush with the Lost, but do all of those on Hard too, as well as on Hard for each of those on every other character?

:psyduck:

I'm dead, this game has killed me. When they find my body there will be a note next to it detailing my crippling Stockholm Syndrome that lead me to die playing this game (of old age, of course)

The babies only require a Hard Mode Heart kill from each character, I don't think you have to take them to Chest or Dark Room(except for The Lost).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Little Blue Couch posted:

Nah dude unlocking the negative is easy (haha). I think you just gotta beat satan five times? Same for the polaroid and the cathedral. Isaac is tough, but I think satan's easier than mom and mom's heart, really.

I find Isaac to be pretty easy and Satan quite difficult, with both being much tougher than Mom/Heart/It Lives.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Finally finished all but 1 challenge(Suicide king, which I shouldn't have too much trouble with).
I think Beans is probably the worst/hardest challenge. At least with the other blindfold challenge you start with some advantages. But in beans you gotta rely on bombs(by the way, 99 bombs won't last to Mom if they're your main damage source) and your lovely bean item. I only beat it because I got lucky and got the Rotten baby in my first Devil room.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I actually think Satan is the hardest boss fight in all of the end paths. I even find him harder than the Lamb and ???. The third form is just really, really nasty.

VVV The Lamb is REALLY easy compared to the nightmare you go through to reach him. Dark Room is a meat grinder.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 17, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I have to agree. Those drat exploding eyeballs get me a lot.

Also am I the only one who finds The Lamb really easy? The level itself is more of a threat.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
drat i don't get it. Mom and Mom's Heart are a constant trial but i can no-damage Satan with any character. He telegraphs his attacks real early, it kind of makes him a joke.

e: the exploding eyeballs are annoying but there's always the chance that satan will step on them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sokani posted:

I used to think that dead cat was a pretty stupid item because if I'm down to one heart I'm not gonna accomplish anything anyway. Then I beat the Cathedral on my ~6th life. Something was causing me to drop black hearts on some of my deaths and they built up enough that I could beat Isaac. Hooray for dead cats!

Monkey's Paw, at a guess. Drops a black heart when you dip below one red heart disappears after 3 triggers.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Crotch Bat posted:

Only Glass Cannon and Purist left in challenges now. Saving Purist for last because I'm a sadist :v:
Purist is fun! It's a simple challenge and that's what makes it good. And honestly it's not that huge of a deal, the most consistent way to build a good run anyways is through the combination of HP-up from bosses traded for damage in devil rooms, which you can still do.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Nah, it starts you with MissingNo. Possibly a special version that triggers every room instead of every floor.

Missingno, undefined, and the cartridge. Would be pretty fun!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
After spending the last week bashing my head against the challenges, I decided to actually go to the Chest.

Is Dead Boy supposed to be this absurdly easy to get?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
God, gently caress this stupid character unlock. Trying to get The Lost is the most frustrating garbage, even when using the wiki to get seeds to expedite the process! Like walk north one room and get blown up, then here's a seed with Pyro, then here's a Judas seed with Tech 2, Ipecac, Monster's Lung, and Sacred Heart (which is the worst combo. Don't do Ipecac ever)... and then all you have to do is do a seedless Azazel run and survive until Satan.

After like two hours of attempts, I finally got a run that got me to Satan... and I died to The Fallen. Fuckin' the game kept spawning those black Tech-laser firing cloud things! I'm not even entirely sure how those things work. Trying to get in close with Azazel sucks. Next time, Lost. :(

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Just beat Mega Satan for the first time. I didn't get an achievement for unlocking the door- is this normal?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ChibiSoma posted:

God, gently caress this stupid character unlock. Trying to get The Lost is the most frustrating garbage

That's what you think until you actually start playing The Lost

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Almost got my last Eve run in but the loving Lamb camped a corner and murdered me with the thus unavoidable spinning brimstone laser. I almost had him, too.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ChibiSoma posted:

God, gently caress this stupid character unlock. Trying to get The Lost is the most frustrating garbage, even when using the wiki to get seeds to expedite the process! Like walk north one room and get blown up, then here's a seed with Pyro, then here's a Judas seed with Tech 2, Ipecac, Monster's Lung, and Sacred Heart (which is the worst combo. Don't do Ipecac ever)... and then all you have to do is do a seedless Azazel run and survive until Satan.

After like two hours of attempts, I finally got a run that got me to Satan... and I died to The Fallen. Fuckin' the game kept spawning those black Tech-laser firing cloud things! I'm not even entirely sure how those things work. Trying to get in close with Azazel sucks. Next time, Lost. :(

Wait do seeds work on unlocking the lost because I literally just had to reset 93 times for a first room Mulliboom as Isaac after getting to Judas and not being able to reset before dying

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Wait do seeds work on unlocking the lost because I literally just had to reset 93 times for a first room Mulliboom as Isaac after getting to Judas and not being able to reset before dying

Yes, you can do seeds for everything but the Azazel run.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Seed the first 3, be lucky/good with Azazel. If you gently caress up and die as Azazel, pause the game immediately then reset, this will keep your run going and you just need to do the Azazel part again.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Putting unlocks behind the lost kind of sucks. My personal best is depths 2.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Putting unlocks behind the lost kind of sucks. My personal best is depths 2.

On the contrary, there being actual rewards for succeeding at the toughest challenges is only a good thing and nobody's loss unless your life depends on 100%:ing every game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Poizen Jam posted:

Just beat Mega Satan for the first time. I didn't get an achievement for unlocking the door- is this normal?
Yes. There is absolutely nothing that beating mega satan unlocks.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Kanfy posted:

On the contrary, there being actual rewards for succeeding at the toughest challenges is only a good thing and nobody's loss unless your life depends on 100%:ing every game.

yeah but playing as the lost isn't really very fun imo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
speaking of mega satan guess what super fun curse that everyone loves totally affects that fight :shepface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxLlJRQdEzU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

IronicDongz posted:

speaking of mega satan guess what super fun curse that everyone loves totally affects that fight :shepface:

If you don't mind "cheating" a bit, you can negate that curse completely by bumping up your Gamma to 150 from the options for the duration of the floor.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah Curse of Darkness is really stupid for that reason.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
a lot of the curses are kind of pointless honestly. the only real interesting one is curse of the blind.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Curse of the Maze is pretty handy to into shops/treasure rooms without using keys if you just swap back and forth between rooms near them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kanfy posted:

If you don't mind "cheating" a bit, you can negate that curse completely by bumping up your Gamma to 150 from the options for the duration of the floor.
That's not even really needed for something like mega satan where it's mostly bullet attacks since the bullets still stand out. It's just loving annoying.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I had a run a few days ago, where I used a bomb near some rocks on a large room and it opened a crypt to a secret (large) room with free items in it. (It had a large ladder going down when I entered it - no enemies). I've got some screenshots but they currently are on my other PC (I will post them if needed).

Is this to be discovered by pure luck or can you do something to increase the chances of getting it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Weird, I got this message through the Rules Card again:

It's formatted like a seed, but it doesn't seem to work.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

I had a run a few days ago, where I used a bomb near some rocks on a large room and it opened a crypt to a secret (large) room with free items in it. (It had a large ladder going down when I entered it - no enemies). I've got some screenshots but they currently are on my other PC (I will post them if needed).

Is this to be discovered by pure luck or can you do something to increase the chances of getting it?

Bomb the carpet in the bed room. It'll either have a hatch to the next floor or a hatch with a ladder to a sidescrolling area. The ladder hatch can also very rarely appear under rocks.

It leads to a side-scrolling room that either contains a free treasure or an opening to a large normal (top-down looking) room called the black market (according to the wiki). The one time I got it, it sold a whole lot of stuff for hearts, just like the devil, but with more choices.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Hope for guppy items. I seriously salvaged a run and cleared Chest by becoming Guppy. Soymilk still did poo poo damage, but you basically become a fly gatling gun. Also, this may just be a visual bug with the stats sheet, but I would get up to three damage even with Soy Milk after taking a few hits as Samson. I couldn't really tell if the soymilk was doing more damage because of the flies, but my stats were showing increased damage. Again, that may just be a bug where it says I have three damage but still doing crap in actuality.