Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I'm just shocked you have to qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/17/whistleblowers-complain-fifa-ethics-report

2 whistleblowers named in FIFAs report were supposed to remain anonymous

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/17/whistleblowers-complain-fifa-ethics-report

Its obvious they did it deliberately to try and punish them. Much like everything about fifa, if you speak out they come down on you like a tonne of bricks.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Jose posted:

WB1: “It is one thing to discount our discussions and the evidence – an investigator is entitled to do that - but it is extraordinary to single out two individuals and detail (mostly incorrectly) the contact with Mike Garcia, especially when we were assured in writing and in person that our dealings with him were confidential.”

WB2: “Not only was Herr Eckert’s summary a crude, cynical and fundamentally erroneous description of me and the information and materials I provided your investigation, it directly breached Fifa’s assurances of my confidentiality.

As if identifying me were not enough, Herr Eckert’s report falsely discredits me in order to support his indefensible conclusion that the December 2010 bidding was wholly acceptable.”

Everything about the entire 2018/2022 process from the start is just the most FIFA.txt poo poo imaginable, just corrupt leeches everywhere.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

This could be the thing that finally lands FIFA in deep poo poo. I don't know about the countries of these people, but outing whistleblowers is a big no-no in the US and can cost you a ton of money.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

That is utterly disgusting. Corruption I can understand, everyone like fat stacks of cash and cocaine lines off high class whores.

But breaking an anonymity promise to send a message? That's below mafia tactics. Senseless villainy.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
they're gonna blame england for the leak somehow

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
If FIFA get busted for this it's going to be Al Capone finally getting arrested for tax evasion

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

blue footed boobie posted:

This could be the thing that finally lands FIFA in deep poo poo. I don't know about the countries of these people, but outing whistleblowers is a big no-no in the US and can cost you a ton of money.

That's what I immediately thought too. Nut only did they out whistleblowers, but at least one guy seems to be accusing FIFA of slander.

I'm not sure what the procedure is in Europe but if this was the US a company in FIFA's position would settle any lawsuit as quick as possible to avoid the discovery process.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I did think the report was incredibly vague about these whistleblowers being 'unreliable'. There was no corroborating evidence aside from vague statements that they were wrong.

They will most likely blame the sunday times.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30077311

quote:

The English Football Association has been urged to lobby Uefa for a European boycott of the next World Cup - unless Fifa implements meaningful reform.

Former FA chairman David Bernstein said it was time for drastic action against football's world governing body.

"If I was at the FA now, I would do everything I could to encourage other nations within Uefa - and there are some who would definitely be on side, others may be not - to take this line," he added.

"At some stage, you have to walk the walk, stop talking and do something."

Bernstein said he also wanted Fifa president Sepp Blatter to step down but described him as "formidable, very shrewd, very smart", conceding it would "not be easy" to bring his reign to an end.

In an exclusive interview, the 71-year-old also said:

• Fifa is a "totalitarian" set-up that reminds him of "the old Soviet empire" and is "beyond ridicule"

• The credibility of football is "suffering enormously" under the current Fifa regime

• Choosing Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup was "one of the most ludicrous decisions in the history of sport"

Full article is with a read. It mentions that he's also stepped down from FIFA's anti-discrimination taskforce, one reason being that in over a year they had one meeting.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Samsung are apparently dropping Fifa as soon as they can. Not even they want anything to do with them.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Samsung are apparently dropping Fifa as soon as they can. Not even they want anything to do with them.

Source?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Walk Free authored a report on modern slavery that was released today.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/17/modern-slavery-35-million-people-walk-free-foundation-report

Russia on pure numbers manages the #5 spot, but Qatar does well on % population enslaved and gets the #4 spot.

"FIFA stands for repect, fair-play, not just on the field of play, but in our society as well."

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Daduzi posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30077311

Full article is with a read. It mentions that he's also stepped down from FIFA's anti-discrimination taskforce, one reason being that in over a year they had one meeting.

Where were these calls to boycott when he was FA chairman? Easy to say it now he's moved on from the role, it's not like anything more has come to light since the report got published, everyone already knew how twisted it was and was always going to be whilst FIFA has control.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

CareyB posted:

Where were these calls to boycott when he was FA chairman? Easy to say it now he's moved on from the role, it's not like anything more has come to light since the report got published, everyone already knew how twisted it was and was always going to be whilst FIFA has control.

For what it's worth, it sounds like the guy did try to do some good stuff like anti-discrimination and whatever while he was in, just that the problem is so systemic you can't do much without multinational support.

Not saying he's a saint, or even not complacent in previous corruption. But he doesn't seem, you know, despicable.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Just a quick reminder that FIFA will have to pay millions to Qatar for a breach of contract if they forbid said country hosting the World Cup.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

dex_sda posted:

Not saying he's a saint, or even not complacent in previous corruption. But he doesn't seem, you know, despicable.

quote:

David Bernstein

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

dex_sda posted:

For what it's worth, it sounds like the guy did try to do some good stuff like anti-discrimination and whatever while he was in, just that the problem is so systemic you can't do much without multinational support.

Nah I know, it's just really loving annoying having all these piecemeal statements of boycotting the World Cup or UEFA leaving Fifa - both great ideas that would change the game instantly - by people who have little to no control over either, but were in positions to do so previously.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

CareyB posted:

He did make a stand when Blatter first reneged on his promise not to stand for election again. It resulted in the English FA being marginalised and having any position of power removed from them. Reminder that Blatter has now twice promised to step down than ran for election once more.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

He did make a stand when Blatter first reneged on his promise not to stand for election again. It resulted in the English FA being marginalised and having any position of power removed from them. Reminder that Blatter has now twice promised to step down than ran for election once more.

Goddamn, they really are a mafia

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

serious gaylord posted:

That's kind of my point. Why is it so difficult for a bunch of European FA's to get together on this and do something collectively?

Clearly any power the English FA had in the first place was non-existent anyway.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

CareyB posted:

That's kind of my point. Why is it so difficult for a bunch of European FA's to get together on this and do something collectively?

Clearly any power the English FA had in the first place was non-existent anyway.

Most are probably quite cushy in their position. The remaining ones, Sepp has dirt on.

Never underestimate the power of whores and blackmail, my friend

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

CareyB posted:

Because most FAs are content with the status quo, especially those who ask no questions and are happy to receive the brown envelopes. Limiting the power of a potentially rebellious football organization, like the FA, is a clever move in hindsight :twisted:

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
gently caress it then, let's get a grassroots campaign going and get the players involved where they refuse to play for their countries until this is sorted out. They'd probably be quite up for that.

Because clearly there is nothing bigger than FIFA at this point, and every FA has dirty hands, but they need the players to play, so I don't see any other solution.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

haha!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
After France host 2016 I guess they'll join the calls for boycotts, just like Germany and England have done when there aren't tournaments on the line anymore.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

lmao at thinking the guys paid millions a year who plow supermodels will rebel against their masters

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

CareyB posted:

gently caress it then, let's get a grassroots campaign going and get the players involved where they refuse to play for their countries until this is sorted out. They'd probably be quite up for that.

Because clearly there is nothing bigger than FIFA at this point, and every FA has dirty hands, but they need the players to play, so I don't see any other solution.

I'll mod the forums

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
*Football player smoking a Cuban cigar, wearing a gold chain and a 'Baller4Life' tattoo and with literal money signs as eyes, thinking about this proposition*

A grassroots campaign against FIFA… It's so crazy it just might work!

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
BREAKING NEWS: Greg Dyke has said "We cannot go on like this."

The FA have written to FIFA demanding that they publish the full report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30088006

Publish the full report Blatter you bastard

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Also quick reminder: the stated reason for not publishing the full report was in order to protect the privacy of those who gave evidence.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Daduzi posted:

Also quick reminder: the stated reason for not publishing the full report was in order to protect the privacy of those who gave evidence.

Wasn't it because 'The full report would lead to criminal proceedings.'

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

atomic gog posted:

BREAKING NEWS: Greg Dyke has said "We cannot go on like this."

The FA have written to FIFA demanding that they publish the full report.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30088006

Publish the full report Blatter you bastard

S. Blatter posted:

No

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Now I have a mental image of Sepp Blatter taking a massive poo poo after a night of particularly spicy Indian food and no sir I don't much care for it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CareyB posted:

He probably made them behind the scenes, but if he had done that publicly when he worked for the FA the FA, and by extension a lot of English football, would be pretty hosed.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He probably made them behind the scenes, but if he had done that publicly when he worked for the FA the FA, and by extension a lot of English football, would be pretty hosed.

He called out Blatter when he decided to stand for this presidency after promising he'd step down. The Fa was hosed for it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Can someone make a bullet point list of the funniest things that have come from this entire sham of an organization and then we can add to it over time so i can lol at reading it when i want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/17/i-was-traduced-by-judge-hans-joachim-eckert-fifa-world-cup-bid-report

One of the whistleblowers has written an article for the Guardian and lol she thinks the IOC managed to reform and presumably not be corrupt