Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Doink9731 posted:

Speaking of cartoonish sociopaths, I initially viewed Anders actions as a fantasy 9/11 and an affront to my noble American sensibilities.

However, when I was listening to the lyrics of Hulk Hogan theme song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwXmz1KGoQ) I had the stunning realization that Anders was really fighting for the rights of every man. Just like a real American. So, is Anders better represented as Osama or the Hulkster?

I don't know what to believe anymore.

This is very important to me.

Anders is actually Barry from Four Lions but not funny.

"We bomb the chantry, blame it on the Templars, radicalize the moderates...

...It was us, we bombed the chantry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

15 minutes until my social life ends for 4-5 days.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Someone please kill all mages for me since I won't be around to be a fascist oppressor of mages for a month.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Low:

Ultra:

Eh...

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
^^^^Edit - is there a frame rate difference?

I played through my 6 hours of Dragon Age via EA Access.

Random impressions:

Looks really nice. In fact, its kinda hard to wrap my brain around the concept of a 'hard' RPG with dice rolls and tactics that looks so good. Its easy to forget that you arent just playing Skyrim or something. I have no idea what resolution this game runs at on the bone, but it looks great. Framerate is silky smooth - although there was a littler judder during cut scenes. I assume that can be fixed via patch because there is no reason for a drop judder during a talking heads sequence when a combat section with 15 people on the screen and tons of explosions and effects and stuff runs perfectly fine.

It controls really nicely too, everything feel very quick and responsive. I played the original DA on PC and with that typical M/K set up, you feel disconnected from whats going on - its more like a strategy game than an RPG. Playing with the controller is pretty awesome. Also, being able to jump really adds a lot to being able to explore and adds to the immersion. It really feels like a 3rd person action game until the combat starts.

The combat is more actiony too though - but I like that. It has depth and you can set up your AI commands and pause combat and give orders and all of that, but the it feels a little quicker and more action based in general. I found the combat in the first DA to be pretty tedious, so this was a huge plus for me. Combat seems to be a bit better balanced. The first DA would have massive difficulty spikes for seemingly no reason at all. So far though, playing on Normal, I am winning fights against stuff thats my level but when I run into higher level stuff, its much more difficult. It feels about right.

There are also 'level gated' areas. Not much of anything is artificially gated, but you will run into baddies that are like 8 levels above you and welp, I guess I am not going through that valley just yet I guess. It doesnt have the Elder Scrolls thing of being able to go where ever you want all the time because the enemies are just always your level.

Seems like there is a shitload of stuff to do. The maps are big and packed with quests and random stuff for you to find. A lot of it is pretty typical fetch quest stuff though. It does feel like filler but the regions are interesting enough that I didnt mind.

I played for 6 hours and barely touched the main story stuff - I just liked exploring. This was the big thing that kept me from enjoying the original DA (other than the massively frustrating difficulty spikes). My favorite thing to do in RPGs is explore, and the original just felt a little to guided and bland. The regions in Inquisition are huge and have been a joy to explore so far.

Voice acting is good. I didnt get far enough in the story to really learn much about the characters, as I was just wandering around for the most part.

I dont think the game will be a day 1 purchase for me, but only because its releasing the same day as Far Cry, which is one of my very favorite series. I think I will pick up Inquisition in the next month or so though as it does seem great so far.

Thats all I can think of right now. If anyone has specific questions I can try and answer them before it unlocks for everyone tomorrow.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Isn't Origin gonna ban our asses for buying at a huge discount from their international shops like Steam does?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Vodos posted:

Isn't Origin gonna ban our asses for buying at a huge discount from their international shops like Steam does?

They could.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

They probably won't but it is indeed a risk.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Bogwitt posted:

Didn't see this mentioned but RPS's review is up.

Maker's breath I'm so loving hyped to play this game.

So the game actually is good under its own merits. Perfect. Bioware really needs a winner after the last three years.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Man that RPS review is glowing. Do we know if there is a day one patch to download?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

ITS OUT

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, the press start screen. So hype.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Did you gently caress the ghost yet?

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Doesn't seem to want to work for me :( It briefly opens then rapidly closes.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't get any vpn for korea working with softether

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.

Ah my eyes!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

THE HYPE TRAIN STARTS NOW!!!!!!

YesManKablam
Feb 19, 2013
Having an issue with FlyVPN where it just gets stuck at logging in. :(

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Why does Alien: Isolation, Assassin's Credit: Unity, etc etc. get game-ready drivers 2 days before release but DAI doesn't.

I'm stuck at work and unable to play so I'm just going to bitch about things until I'm home.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't get any vpn for korea working with softether

Use the second protocol when connecting (UDP?), not the default, thats what worked for me anyway.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

^^^^Edit - is there a frame rate difference?

Not that I can see. There probably is though.

Apparently the console versions (PS4 and Xbox One) is running with the 'High' preset.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Anyone have any idea why the game closes itself the second it opens? Or any idea how I can fix it? It's taunting me with the play button, but getting all of one second of the program being open before it closes ruins my day.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Where do i get a korean VPN? I need this game inside my body now.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Archimago posted:

Why does Alien: Isolation, Assassin's Credit: Unity, etc etc. get game-ready drivers 2 days before release but DAI doesn't.

I'm stuck at work and unable to play so I'm just going to bitch about things until I'm home.
Two more hours at work. Probably another 45mins on the drive home depending on traffic. An hour for family dinner. My wife wants to watch a show together tonight so another hour there...

Ah well maybe an hour before bed or so.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Holy poo poo, I'm in. Welp, see you all in 50-90 hours! Remember to empty your socks!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to be so far behind everyone, what with character creation taking two hours...

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What does the game look like for the PS3 if your computer is dogshit?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Man, 24 more hours since I work tonight.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Alectai posted:

Anyone have any idea why the game closes itself the second it opens? Or any idea how I can fix it? It's taunting me with the play button, but getting all of one second of the program being open before it closes ruins my day.

I have an odd setup for my pc and typically have to set the game to run as admin in the compatibility; worth a shot to try for you?

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
So it seems my copy will arrive on Friday morning. To whoever is playing the game earlier than that, I hate you.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

funakupo posted:

I have an odd setup for my pc and typically have to set the game to run as admin in the compatibility; worth a shot to try for you?

Maybe, it's not something I do often.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

snodig posted:

Not that I can see. There probably is though.

Apparently the console versions (PS4 and Xbox One) is running with the 'High' preset.

Seems like it might be a bug then? I had heard that there was a 'night and day difference' between the console and PC versions in terms of visual quality. But that doesnt look any different at all really - but the fact that Eltra and low look pretty much identical seems like maybe there is a bug.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm going to be so far behind everyone, what with character creation taking two hours...

How many ability points do you get to spend at character creation?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Not crazy enough to use a SK VPN but I was crazy enough to use that Hola thing to get Deluxe for 45 bucks instead of 70. Curse you all.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Seems like it might be a bug then? I had heard that there was a 'night and day difference' between the console and PC versions in terms of visual quality. But that doesnt look any different at all really - but the fact that Eltra and low look pretty much identical seems like maybe there is a bug.

Yeah, there are rumors that true Ultra mode will only be unlocked through a day 1 patch.

YesManKablam
Feb 19, 2013
So which component do I need for SoftEther? I'm Bad At This poo poo.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Disco De Soto posted:

How many ability points do you get to spend at character creation?

I'm still trying to pick my eye color :negative:

No curly mop top goddammit.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Just popping back to reiterate something that I saw either here or in the gaf thread. I've got a 780 and the automatic ultra presets looked a little jittery in terms of framerate but this is mostly due to the MSAA; turn that poo poo off and you will be golden.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Maybe, I don't know. Shadows and spell effects look better on ultra, but a 'night and day difference'? Not really.

ZenVulgarity posted:

What does the game look like for the PS3 if your computer is dogshit?

From what I can gather the previous generation consoles are running the game on the 'low' preset, which from the screenshots and videos is actually pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

funakupo posted:

Just an update, no, this didn't work :(

• Locked thread