Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pathetic little tramp posted:

Exactly. I mean, what's even the reasoning of these four? Nevada is a hellhole hemorrhaging jobs because it turns out gambling isn't a sustainable economy when other states legalise it, South Carolina is South Carolina, Iowa at least has some agricultural leanings, and New Hampshire is see previous post.

Nevada has a large latino population, South Carolina has a large black population. Helps counteract that Iowa and New Hampshire are like 99% white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I thought Cornell was the dumbest Ivy League school...

But anyway, I wonder if Kucinich might run for president in 2016? He seems like he's remained politically active and I admire the stances that he has been willing to take on foreign policy issues. Besides Bernie Sanders and Dennis Kucinich, who else might try to run for the Democratic nomination as a left-of-Obama/Clinton candidate?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Exactly. I mean, what's even the reasoning of these four? Nevada is a hellhole hemorrhaging jobs because it turns out gambling isn't a sustainable economy when other states legalise it, South Carolina is South Carolina, Iowa at least has some agricultural leanings, and New Hampshire is see previous post.

They are all very different states and, aside from the fact that none of them have populations who work in resource extraction (well, Nevada is debatable but at least in the Dem half of it those votes are easily counter-acted by service workers,) do a pretty great job of representing the country as a whole. If I were to have to pick four small states I might make a change or two but they actually did very well picking what they did. And they do have to be small states, you mention California and Texas but the whole point is that you want candidates with less money to be able to compete and the way they do that is old fashioned barnstorming, impossible in the larger states.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

mastershakeman posted:

But Bruce Rauner went to Dartmouth, clearly it's a great school.

I misread that as Bruce Banner and was momentarily more excited than I should have been.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Math Debater posted:

I thought Cornell was the dumbest Ivy League school...

But anyway, I wonder if Kucinich might run for president in 2016? He seems like he's remained politically active and I admire the stances that he has been willing to take on foreign policy issues. Besides Bernie Sanders and Dennis Kucinich, who else might try to run for the Democratic nomination as a left-of-Obama/Clinton candidate?

Yeah, I'm sure his pro-Assad activities will go over well. What bravery.

Seriously, you can be anti-war without going to hang out with him and then say you trust and believe in his commitment to human rights. A better thing to do would be, for instance, nothing.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 15, 2014

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Cliff Racer posted:

They are all very different states and, aside from the fact that none of them have populations who work in resource extraction (well, Nevada is debatable but at least in the Dem half of it those votes are easily counter-acted by service workers,) do a pretty great job of representing the country as a whole. If I were to have to pick four small states I might make a change or two but they actually did very well picking what they did. And they do have to be small states, you mention California and Texas but the whole point is that you want candidates with less money to be able to compete and the way they do that is old fashioned barnstorming, impossible in the larger states.

Okay that makes sense - we do want small states to open the playing field, but why not at least switch it up every four years? This time is Iowa,NH,Nevada,SC. Next time we get Nebraska,WV,Oregon,Louisiana. Wouldn't that make more sense long term?

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

Okay that makes sense - we do want small states to open the playing field, but why not at least switch it up every four years? This time is Iowa,NH,Nevada,SC. Next time we get Nebraska,WV,Oregon,Louisiana. Wouldn't that make more sense long term?

American political institutions and practices generally don't make sense; change is extremely difficult, and inertia is among the most potent forces in all of Washington.

Why do you think we still have Tuesday elections and the electoral college?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

AYC posted:

American political institutions and practices generally don't make sense; change is extremely difficult, and inertia is among the most potent forces in all of Washington.

Why do you think we still have Tuesday elections and the electoral college?

Because changing it would disproprtionately benefit one party over the other. When changing rules benefits both parties, you find the rules much easier to bend.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Right here is the truest poo poo because literally in the United States, 5 or so states control the narrative entirely every four years. To be elected president of the entire country you first have to be elected leader of the party by some of the most irrelevant and full-of-idiot states in the nation. At least if it were California or Texas, it'd be representative. Didn't one of the states try to move their primary up so they would have more of a say and that led to them getting blackballed or something?

edit: I mean seriously, what's even in New Hampshire? Dartmouth, the dumbest 'ivy league' school, and a bunch of libertarian pumpkin rioters.

If it makes you feel any better Florida likes to dare both the Democratic and Republican parties to do something about it moving it's primary up to a relevant date. We don't give a gently caress because what are they going to do, actually tell the largest swing state to gently caress off?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Iowa and NH refuse to give up their spot and you can't really make them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

evilweasel posted:

Iowa and NH refuse to give up their spot and you can't really make them.

Well, I mean, technically, yeah. You can. Same way you make the other states not move earlier (threaten to ignore all or a good chunk of their results)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Well, I mean, technically, yeah. You can. Same way you make the other states not move earlier (threaten to ignore all or a good chunk of their results)

It becomes more a matter of whether or not completely making GBS threads all over Iowa and New Hampshire is really worth it. Shifting the opening primaries around to other states would be nice, but not really that crucial.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

GlyphGryph posted:

Candidates would still pay attention for the publicity (see: Florida 08 where it actually went all the way to the convention before deciding that the delegates would be allowed to be seated.) Just as important is that those two states in particular (South Carolina too sort of but Nevada is a joke) have populations that know and understand the voting process very well and are comfortable with it. They could conceivably move their election to Tuesday next week and everyone would already know what to do. That's given them a real leg up whenever another state has tried to unilaterally move into their turf.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
It's party rules that dictate primary/caucus dates, not federal law. Parties could change the dates independently-- but some state governments pay for the ballots for the primaries, so they'd need the state governments to comply in those instances, unless the parties wanted to pay for the ballots themselves.

In 2008, Florida moved up its primary uninvited. The Republicans chose to allow it and recognize the results, and all the candidates campaigned in the state. You'll remember that Giuliani retreated there and bet his house on it.
The Democratic party initially chose to reject the results from Florida (and there was no campaign there except for Clinton's) but then later chose to half-recognize them.

For example, the DNC could tell the West Virginia Democratic Party that it could hold early presidential caucuses. There's nothing really preventing it, other than the risk of pissing off Iowa and New Hampshire voters.
(Just an example, since it was mentioned before, but I wonder if a good ground effort across that state might work for the party the way it did for Kennedy in the 1960 primaries.)

Nameless_Steve fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 16, 2014

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
But do the votes of NH and Iowa really matter in the long term? Even if you pissed off them enough that the states swung for one election, its only 10 electoral votes, total. How many presidential elections come down to 10 electoral votes?

Now, I can see pissing them off affecting the state and local elections a bit more than national elections. But those elections tend to have far more to do with the election cycle than anything apparently.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
If Gore had won New Hampshire in 2000, he would have been President. It came down to 3 electoral votes.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Nameless_Steve posted:

If Gore had won New Hampshire in 2000, he would have been President. It came down to 3 electoral votes.

Which is very much an outlier, historically. The last election where 10 votes would have mattered besides 2000 was 1876, 185-184 for Hayes versus Tilden.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Michigan Republicans have already changed their rules and set the date for their primary for March 15, 2016. The purpose of the rule change is to take advantage of the new rules the RNC set for when a presidential primary can be a winner take all vote. Republicans are trying to make Michigan more important in the 2016 race and draw in presidential candidates to their 60 delegates.

It's pretty telling that in the primary race they understand winner take all makes the state more relevant, but then in the general some of them think splitting electoral votes is a good idea. It's the tea party faction that wants that. Snyder won't let it happen.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

The closest states in 2012 were North Carolina (R), Virginia (D), Ohio (D), and Florida (D).

If the only change in 2016 was that the Republicans swept those states-- not unlikely-- Democrats would still win 272-268.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nameless_Steve posted:

The closest states in 2012 were North Carolina (R), Virginia (D), Ohio (D), and Florida (D).

If the only change in 2016 was that the Republicans swept those states-- not unlikely-- Democrats would still win 272-268.

Assume the Republicans win those closest states and Michigan approptiates electoral college delegates based upon congressional district, whats the the math look like then?

Further, how many votes would they have to persuade in Virginia, Ohio, and Florida if that plan pushes them over 270?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The guy who is sponsoring the Michigan EV plan didn't even run again this year. They get a vote on it Monday, which will probably fail and which Snyder will veto even if it doesn't and then he's out of the legislature.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

VA would be a great place for the parties to hold early primaries so that they can get the candidates in there and hopefully have them test their own GOTV efforts on the State Senate elections in 2015.

The downside is that, with a state or federal election here every year, you risk voter fatigue and/or taking attention away from the VA elections in favor of presidential debates and events .

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
All the proportional EV plans seem to fall apart on the basis of "no seriously this time we can really win all of it! why let the other party keep half?".

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

All the proportional EV plans seem to fall apart on the basis of "no seriously this time we can really win all of it! why let the other party keep half?".

Proportional EV plans in non-competitive states with media markets which overlap battleground states makes some bit of economic sense for state-level legislators, while making less sense for statewide officer holders and individuals with districts outside competitive media markets.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
If all the states allotted EV's proportionally, would Romney have won?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pillowpants posted:

Proportionally by House district? Yes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pillowpants posted:

Depends on the proportional scheme. The old Michigan idea was proportional by congressional district, which would have allowed Romney to win 226-209, but the new one is proportional based on the popular vote total.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

Yes. It was the first time the winner of the popular vote lost a majority of CDs.

http://cookpolitical.com/story/5606

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

State ... D votes - R votes ... (margin)

FL... 4,237,756 - 4,163,447 ...... (~74,000) D+0.88%
VA... 1,971,820 - 1,822,522 ...... (~149,000) D+2.98%
OH... 2,827,710 - 2,661,433 ...... (~166,000) D+3.87%

I had to look up the Michigan apportionment proposal. I had assumed it was Maine/Nebraska style, but it's different. It just shaves off a couple delegates to the losing party unless it's a 20-point blowout, effectively reducing Michigan's 15 electoral votes to 9 plus change. If it had been in effect in 2012, Obama would have gotten 12 EVs and Romney would have gotten 3, despite the 10-point landslide being Obama's 8th biggest margin.

(The 2014 Michigan Senate race resulted in a similar margin for the Democrats.)

But, yeah, if it passed, that would send the Republican over the top, as long as the Republican wins in FL, VA, NC, and OH and no other states pass similar legislation to water down their own EVs.

Nameless_Steve fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 16, 2014

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

De Nomolos posted:

VA would be a great place for the parties to hold early primaries so that they can get the candidates in there and hopefully have them test their own GOTV efforts on the State Senate elections in 2015.

The downside is that, with a state or federal election here every year, you risk voter fatigue and/or taking attention away from the VA elections in favor of presidential debates and events .

Honestly, if they come and do the primary stuff in 2015 and just randomly toss a "hey go vote this Nov. too" thing out there, we'd come out ahead no matter how much noise they made. If they get Dems to show up at their polling place, then the local Parties will put a sample ballot in their hands and hopefully they go straight-D (this would mark the first time sample balloting has been useful).

I used to care about honest discussion of the issues or wanting all the races and candidates to get full and serious consideration from the voters, but then I realized that the radicalization of the Republican Party means that the differences are stark enough that a cursory glance tells a lot of voters what they need to know.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 17, 2014

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Remind me, is Represent.us the group that that stupid guy was trying to promote on the forums? I got invited to some event for a new chapter here.

I know this group is Lessig-related, and I think his was too? What was the problem with them? The release promotes them working with Occupy and the Tea Party, which is basically about the worst combination of people I can imagine trying to work with.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

De Nomolos posted:

The release promotes them working with Occupy and the Tea Party, which is basically about the worst combination of people I can imagine trying to work with.
Finally, a chance to see a Regressive Stack of speakers in action.

"I can trace my roots back to the Mayflower and demand my rights to punch a scullery maid in the teeth be returned to me!"

Ok then, you are up first.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

De Nomolos posted:

Remind me, is Represent.us the group that that stupid guy was trying to promote on the forums? I got invited to some event for a new chapter here.

I know this group is Lessig-related, and I think his was too? What was the problem with them? The release promotes them working with Occupy and the Tea Party, which is basically about the worst combination of people I can imagine trying to work with.

That was MayOne. Unless they're both related, of course.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That was MayOne. Unless they're both related, of course.

I can't keep them straight. Lessig is related to both, and they had some link to Aaron Swartz's group, and there's the "Super PAC to end Super PACs," but there's the "Anti-Corruption Pledge" and the "Anti-Corruption Act" and "Move To Amend" and I have no idea.

Apparently the person to contact here is a former PIRG staffer which I'm down with but it all seems so drat convoluted right now. This group claims credit for passing local anti-corruption bills. Maybe that's their thing, and not electoral work?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

De Nomolos posted:

Virginia is interesting in that includes part of Appalachia, lots of government/white collar workers and urban blacks and military folks while still also maintaining every unique demographic that South Carolina brings to the table (rural black people and southern whites.) With so many government workers the state is also more educated on the "logic" of governing too, they'd make for pretty informed voters. I could see you make a pretty compelling case for switching SC out for it. Indeed doing so would also excise the only "non-swing" state to currently get these privileges, though SC's Democratic electorate has always been significantly different than the state as a whole- to the point that informed people never really bring this so-called bias up in conversation. The only problem is that its big enough to start pushing out smaller/poorer candidates and is only set to grow even bigger in the future.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 17, 2014

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

De Nomolos posted:

I can't keep them straight. Lessig is related to both, and they had some link to Aaron Swartz's group, and there's the "Super PAC to end Super PACs," but there's the "Anti-Corruption Pledge" and the "Anti-Corruption Act" and "Move To Amend" and I have no idea.

Apparently the person to contact here is a former PIRG staffer which I'm down with but it all seems so drat convoluted right now. This group claims credit for passing local anti-corruption bills. Maybe that's their thing, and not electoral work?

Anti-corruption bills? In my Virginia? It's more likely than you think.

I found this about Represent.Us, accusing them of conflating "dependence corruption" with actually taking bribes. Plus the sorts of web ads where they accuse folks of taking quid-pro-quo bribes just because they took campaign contributions without any actual evidence of a "quo pro". So they're certainly aggressively messaging and playing fast-and-loose with the facts to get attention.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

I'm generally skeptical of "lobby reform" because it seems to be assumed by liberals supporting them that a neutral state of governing w/o lobbyists would favor them. As if only money is influencing and it only moves things towards Wall Street because it's money.

Sure those groups have more money, but at least if you allow lobbying and regulate it, someone passionate about a little-cared about cause like homeless youth or an odd regulation on local watershed maintenance or some random steel mill has a voice, too. They're more likely going to listen to a lobby group than a bunch of obnoxious letters.

At the heart is this assumption that without money, people are naturally logical.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

De Nomolos posted:

I'm generally skeptical of "lobby reform" because it seems to be assumed by liberals supporting them that a neutral state of governing w/o lobbyists would favor them. As if only money is influencing and it only moves things towards Wall Street because it's money.

Sure those groups have more money, but at least if you allow lobbying and regulate it, someone passionate about a little-cared about cause like homeless youth or an odd regulation on local watershed maintenance or some random steel mill has a voice, too. They're more likely going to listen to a lobby group than a bunch of obnoxious letters.

At the heart is this assumption that without money, people are naturally logical.

I think you're for regulating lobbyists as per your second paragraph, which lobby reform aims to do. It just aims to regulate them better, not outright ban the practice.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cheekio posted:

I think you're for regulating lobbyists as per your second paragraph, which lobby reform aims to do. It just aims to regulate them better, not outright ban the practice.

You 'reform' lobbying too much without addressing the underlying issues, all you do is push more money through unofficial channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

De Nomolos posted:

To add on to this, the Koch Brothers/the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy are already a step ahead on this game - pushing their views through law schools and economics departments so that if they can't directly influence legislators at least they'll be molding them as they come into the system.

• Locked thread