Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm not a veteran, but I'd imagine the hero-worship some people have for the military gets grating, especially since most of worshipers don't actually care about veterans in the least. They buy the tacky ribbon-magnets and "SUPPORT ARE TROOPS" bumper-stickers, but they're the first to shout down any sort of welfare or healthcare reform or minimum wage increase -- all issues that directly benefit the vast majority of veterans.
Also there is probably some passive-aggressive condescension a lot of times when those types say "thank you for your service", as though they're assuming you're a true patriot and not, you know, one of those phony soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

spoon0042 posted:

There was a guy on Fresh Air or something last week who, you know, does actual work helping veterans with the issues they face. He said that merely thanking a veteran for their service is the emptiest of gestures. Kind of like slapping a yellow ribbon on your car, big deal. On the other hand he did say that if "Thank you for your service" is the beginning of a conversation in which you attempt to understand what they're going through, go for it.

Fair enough. The only veterans I talk to on a regular basis are family members, so obviously the conversations run a lot deeper than a shallow "Thank you for your service."

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

All I want is for "Thank you for your service" to expand to all salaried government employees. Its the only logical conclusion. Because really, its the only way the Coast Guard is ever going to get its share of the Are Troops thank-wanking.

And then eventually military contractors can be just as thanked since you may not have caught them on their first swing through the revolving door.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Almost all of the people I know who are or were in the military just think of it as a job or way out of poverty rather than some hero profession or duty or whatever. I dunno how common that sentiment is among vets, but I imagine it must be especially irritating to guys like them.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

As someone who grew up around 'nam vets, and knew more 'nam vets than he did kids his age, the handshake does active harm. The only things that piss them off worse are fakers.

Who, as we all know, get more respect from Republicans. Especially when they brag about stomping on babies.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I met a guy on his way into a grocery store I was leaving.
He had a shirt on that detailed his time in the Marines. It was black, with white stenciled info on it about his deployments.

I didn't know if it was legit or not, but he looked the part and yes, I'm one of those " I never had the balls to serve" types but I thought I showed some tiny amount of empathy.

I stopped and asked him, "That shirt, that's you? You really did all of that?"

He said, "Yeah."

So I simply responded, "Would it be inappropriate for me to thank you for the service you gave to this country?"

He said, "No, it's cool."

So I said, "Then please accept my sincere thanks for everything you've done. I feel like this country does too much empty platitudes to vets and not enough real rewards, and for that, I am sorry and I wish you got the real recognition you deserve."

The guy just said, "Hey, thanks a lot," and we shook hands and we went on our separate ways.

This is not "stuff that didn't happen.txt," it's true.

He seemed to sincerely be ok with the exchange but maybe he was merely being polite. But I made a point of explaining that I wasn't being glib or assuming anything on purpose. I asked him first.

I feel pretty good about that experience, and I hope he does, too.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 17, 2014

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

That's not the handshake though, that's an actual conversation, which is different from the handshake in the same way that kids asking questions is different from adults asking the same questions.

What I'm saying is you dud well, because you showed an interest and asked permission, which is, like, goddamn.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

All I want is for "Thank you for your service" to expand to all salaried government employees. Its the only logical conclusion. Because really, its the only way the Coast Guard is ever going to get its share of the Are Troops thank-wanking.

Republicans have always hated the Coast Guard for not asking for enough money and dumb-rear end toys.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

quote:

Lets cool it on the hero worship, a simple thank you is more than enough. The Marine Corps was insturmental in building the foundaton to what I have become today, but that was my choice. I did what I felt was best for me at the time. I do not need you to live vicariously through me nor would I ever ask for unquestioned loyalty merely because I went to war for my country. I know that The VA isn´t perfect and there are some apprehensible abuses but we get quite a bit already. If you see a veteran that needs help, help them and empathize with them because they are people in need and nothing more...in fact if you see someone in need do you what you can for them anyway.

Im going to take one on the chin for all those are usually called "lazy, hipster, douchebag, unamerican, unpatriotic, selfish, young people" who choose to go a more humanistic rout. I work with many of you, and you all humble the hell out of me and make me rethink how I see the world sometimes. There are more ways to be selfless than joining the military or undying nationalism.

I, a veteran, am extremely disturbed by the hypcoracy of our foreign policy, and the militarism that exists within our civil society is a cancer that will destroy us from within. We live in a world that is at a critical juncture and just bombing the hell out of people who are different from us, or regurgatating mindless idealogical dribble isnt working very well.

To all the veterans, Happy Veterans Day! from Guatemala. May you all continue forward in endeavors, and thrive. To all the non veterans I give you the same, because you are important too, and instead of worshipping mindless praise on us, just sit down and make a connection with one of us. And to all the veterans don´t be a high minded rear end in a top hat about it.

An ex-marine friend of mine on Facebook on Veteran's Day.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ErichZahn posted:

That's not the handshake though, that's an actual conversation, which is different from the handshake in the same way that kids asking questions is different from adults asking the same questions.

What I'm saying is you dud well, because you showed an interest and asked permission, which is, like, goddamn.
I was self-aware enough to know that civilians like myself should never try to snap a salute to a vet. I understand why it's not appropriate.
That's why I asked, because I knew there were attitudes that real vets have that I know nothing the gently caress about. So I asked permission before I said much of anything.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 17, 2014

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Currently the front page of Imgur is dominated by people being outraged that some tumblrites are outraged at this guy's shirt, and delivering Sick Burns (TM) and pledging to buy versions of that shirt just to piss off 'Feminists'. The MRA movement is a loving cancer.
Holy hell you weren't kidding. I was just browsing Imgur's front page and it seems like every other post is some shitlord complaining about "feminists" and that dumb shirt. I've seriously heard nothing about this anywhere else except for the Reddit/Imgur MRA spergs. Again, in every single front page post about gender issues on those sites, women are the villains.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hazo posted:

Holy hell you weren't kidding. I was just browsing Imgur's front page and it seems like every other post is some shitlord complaining about "feminists" and that dumb shirt. I've seriously heard nothing about this anywhere else except for the Reddit/Imgur MRA spergs. Again, in every single front page post about gender issues on those sites, women are the villains.

They made a man cry. :(

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

MariusLecter posted:

They made a man cry. :(

Each manly tear, precious.

Precious, pure, beautiful manly fluids.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My coworker got called up to the reserves for the past year and he was stationed in Djibouti translating French. On Veteran's Day a woman in the office was like "omg thank you so much for your service it's really brave of you!"

I did my part and gave him a bunch of poo poo later for raking in the dough tax free, getting hazard pay, practicing his language skills, and buying a Mazda3 with cash (he asked me what car to get and I told him a 2014 Mazda3 hatchback). It definitely is a sacrifice, but people only pay lip service to the veterans who are gainfully employed and who didn't exactly get in "the poo poo".

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Phone posted:

My coworker got called up to the reserves for the past year and he was stationed in Djibouti translating French. On Veteran's Day a woman in the office was like "omg thank you so much for your service it's really brave of you!"

I did my part and gave him a bunch of poo poo later for raking in the dough tax free, getting hazard pay, practicing his language skills, and buying a Mazda3 with cash (he asked me what car to get and I told him a 2014 Mazda3 hatchback). It definitely is a sacrifice, but people only pay lip service to the veterans who are gainfully employed and who didn't exactly get in "the poo poo".

Yeah, but if needed, he could have been sent to Iraq, to advise. There are good gigs and bad gigs, the fact that he volunteered means he's taking risk for the country. That's what you should be thanking a service member for.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not sure if the Navy has a lot of sway in a land locked country like Iraq, but then again, I'm just a civilian.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

XtraSmiley posted:

Yeah, but if needed, he could have been sent to Iraq, to advise. There are good gigs and bad gigs, the fact that he volunteered means he's taking risk for the country. That's what you should be thanking a service member for.

Casualty rates in the military are rather low, though. Being a lumberjack is more likely to kill you than being a soldier, for example. If we're going to honor people for volunteering to do something risky then there are much nastier things than "join the military." If that's the sole metric we're using then we should replace Veteran's Day with Lumberjack Day.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Glenn Beck's making a Christmas movie, you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOhGs1ReVGA

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Don't get me wrong, enlisting in the military and volunteering for anything takes more than a little spine (and, in some cases, desperation, but I digress), but unless actual danger is involved, isn't it basically a job? It takes integrity to dedicate yourself, sure, but it's not exactly hero material. When people verbally fellate servicepeople of any kind regardless of circumstance, it depreciates the value of the gratitude.

Maybe I'm weird, but I think the guy who throws himself on top of a grenade and ends up looking like he fell into a woodchipper is just a little more worthy of gratitude and praise than a guy who sits around on an air-conditioned base loving around with software all day.

Phone posted:

I'm not sure if the Navy has a lot of sway in a land locked country like Iraq, but then again, I'm just a civilian.

If you were part of the military, you'd learn of the secret "land-boats" that were built to match the Air Force's burrowing drill-jets.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ray and Shirley posted:

Why would Jesus need a protector? He's God. And he's supposed to suffer.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but I think the guy who throws himself on top of a grenade and ends up looking like he fell into a woodchipper is just a little more worthy of gratitude and praise than a guy who sits around on an air-conditioned base loving around with software all day.

If that guy's any good at software, he's basically throwing his career on a grenade by making 1/3rd what they're paying contractors for the same job while putting up with military life. At the end of the day he's still got his legs, but he still rolled the dice and he's still voluntarily forsaking his autonomy, stability, and possibly future.

It doesn't mean Russian Roulette wasn't dangerous if you didn't "win."

E: I don't think the office guy needs a ticker-tape parade, but I won't begrudge him a once-yearly free large fries with any drink purchase either.

moths fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 17, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mehuyael posted:

It'll just be more B movie crap that the fundies will eat up like candy.

Someone brought in "God's Not Dead" while I was deployed, and I was actually surprised how many of even the more religious guys in my unit were not impressed by it.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Mehuyael posted:

Because Beck's next miraculous illness cure isn't paying for itself.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The people who go the most out-of-the-way to thank servicemen in my experience tend to be older people who are guilty that they didn't go into the services themselves or dodged the draft, legally or otherwise, back in the day (some of my family fits this model, anyway).

That said, I thank veterans when I hear of their service largely because working for the military is usually lovely and nearly every vet I've gotten to know personally happens to have PTSD to at least a minor degree from the stress of military life.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 17, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Someone brought in "God's Not Dead" while I was deployed, and I was actually surprised how many of even the more religious guys in my unit were not impressed by it.

Yeah because its basically Nietzsche yelling "GOTT IST TOT!!!" at a kid and the kid yelling back "NO HE'S NOT!!!"

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ray and Shirley posted:

Seeing stuff like this I just have to believe people like Beck don't believe anything they say but are just con men who have found a very, very lucrative mark. This movie is like something I'd expect on Tim and Eric on Adult Swim

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

moths posted:

If that guy's any good at software, he's basically throwing his career on a grenade by making 1/3rd what they're paying contractors for the same job while putting up with military life. At the end of the day he's still got his legs, but he still rolled the dice and he's still voluntarily forsaking his autonomy, stability, and possibly future.

It doesn't mean Russian Roulette wasn't dangerous if you didn't "win."

E: I don't think the office guy needs a ticker-tape parade, but I won't begrudge him a once-yearly free large fries with any drink purchase either.

No, I'm cool with him getting props, I'm just saying people shouldn't fall all over themselves in gushing praise before him like a lot of people seem to do with servicepeople. As another goon posted, it's embarrassing, and takes away from the praise given to people that have really been through the (proverbial and/or literal) minefield.

This is a peeve of mine because of how annoyed my dad would get at folks praising people like him one moment and turning around and calling him a parasite the next because he had the gall to collect benefits he earned.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Seeing stuff like this I just have to believe people like Beck don't believe anything they say but are just con men who have found a very, very lucrative mark. This movie is like something I'd expect on Tim and Eric on Adult Swim

Except this is funny!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think it's probably overall harmful to vets in the same way slacktivism harms charities. As a culture, we get to assuage our guilt for stepping over that legless guy by buying Ralph in IT a coffee and thanking him profusely for his sacrifice at the coast guard's server farm.

Veteran's day really brings me down in a lot of ways, sorry guys.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ProperGanderPusher posted:

That said, I thank veterans when I hear of their service largely because working for the military is usually lovely and nearly every vet I've gotten to know personally happens to have PTSD to at least a minor degree from the stress of military life.

That's basically my attitude. It's a tough job and it's public service and it's underpaid as hell and everyone who comes through it gets broken apart, physically or psychologically. I mean, we should be thanking public school teachers and volunteer firemen and so forth too, but vets deserve the thanks too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ray and Shirley posted:

Concept art of the reimagined Santa Claus:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I support are troops by paying my taxes every year. :shrug:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A friend of mine is a vet and a bartender so every time he brings me a drink I tell him "thank you for your service" and let me tell you that joke never gets old.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I got a "quiet aunt gets tipsy and suddenly has lots to say about lots of things" vibe from the video. She kept tacking on odd little ideas through each sentence. I hope she runs for something again. McCain's awful judgement needs to be continually spot-lit.

Reminder that people pay money to listen to this.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Phone posted:

I tried, but I just can't let this slide: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basra

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

CommieGIR posted:

Even my religious parents (my dad's a Christian teacher now but has been a pastor for most of his life) thought God's Not Dead was a piece of poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Regarding military types, I usually just pick up their tabs for them when I see them in airports and restaurants, donate here and there, ship things overseas when I can and generally just try to do whatever. I think it's part of the GOP model to leave half to three quarters of the population with no other options beyond service or prison, and it's oddly contradictory since they seem so collectively gung-ho against working for the government (military) and against government power in general (incarceration).

You think about the concerts Hannity did "for the troops" and follow where all the money went and you start to get a sense of how much they really care.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Smaller Government doesn't apply to massive, aircraft-carrier shaped chunks of government.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The "thank you for your service" stuff hurts mostly because it's a symptom of the blind military worship that allows us to throw men's lives away and justify it by saying that is a really great thing for them to do. It also paints modern military service as a necessity, like if they didn't do it, someone else would, or we'd all be killed by dirty foreigners. That isn't the case, you're basically signing your life away to further the interests of politicians and businessmen, who are absolved of any responsibility because they say your sacrifice is heroic. Yeah it's really great that your nephew died heroically on a land mine, you know what would have been better? If he had grandkids and lived till he was 90.

It's so loving perverse that any call to cut back on the military or keep our troops at home is met with "Don't you support the troops?!" bullshit. Yes I support the troops, that's why I want them to stay out of danger or better yet be able to get a job that doesn't involve killing or being killed.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 17, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tender Bender posted:

It's so loving perverse that any call to cut back on the military or keep our troops at home is met with "Don't you support the troops?!" bullshit. Yes I support the troops, that's why I want them to stay out of danger or better yet be able to get a job that doesn't involve killing or being killed.

This was a thing around 2006 or so but I think most people are happier that we are bringing our boys home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

computer parts posted:

This was a thing around 2006 or so but I think most people are happier that we are bringing our boys home.
I agree, but you still can't criticize American imperialism unless you introduce it with an "I support the troops, but" in the form of a glowing panegyric to the troops, all of whom are greater than the greatest teacher, doctor, or what-have-you that ever lived. Not to mention that it's still beyond the pale to criticize the troops or their motives.