Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was kinda irritated by the Kryptonians in Man of Steel.

They didn't handle the setup very well. Jor El says "My kid is gonna be a GOD on that planet! It'll be awesome!" and Superman spends like 30+ years sucking up radiation from the sun and becoming a demigod.

Kryptonians show up, wearing head filters to block out the sun/atmosphere and they are still crazy strong and able to leapfrog around. Suddenly Zod gets his mask broken and OH poo poo LSD UP IN DIS BITCH cause THAT'S when the "super" part kicks in, and not the "head not turning to mush because Superman has been beating him in the face for 2 miles".

In the ship they say "Oh he'll adjust to the atmosphere or he'll die" and suddenly you can draw blood and he's weak and life sucks, but suddenly give him an oxygen rich atmosphere and OH SNAP WATCH HIM GO although every other person on the ship except Lois should have been juiced up as well and shrugging off those plasma blast things. The girl (forget the name at the moment) is crazy strong though, but still that makes me wonder why they are troubled by locked doors and poo poo when she can obviously punch through em.

Either they are incredibly strong as a people normally and an earth atmosphere makes em even more badass, or they are normal-ish people and the radiation makes em super powerful (like Jor El said), or the writers just thought "OH poo poo THIS WOULD BE COOL" and left in the plot holes like they did with Lois teleporting all over the damned place in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The most irritating part of that was him killing Zod at the end because he was going to laser vision that family. Just put your hand over his eyes you dick, you're Superman.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, plus he swings his head TOWARDS the family when he breaks it, so they should have been sliced anyway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

That's supposed to make you think Batman is going too far though - the fact that audiences reacted to that with a resounding "meh" is what gave us Person of Interest. So at least some good came from everyone not giving a poo poo about mass surveillance.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you're supposed to think that TDK is pro spying when the smartest character in the movie says "This is evil and I will quit working with you if you keep it."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how you're supposed to think that TDK is pro spying when the smartest character in the movie says "This is evil and I will quit working with you if you keep it."
By the lack of Batman saying "okay, you're right, we'll have to think of something else, it's gonna be much harder but we'll find something." When it comes down to it, going too far saves the day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

My Lovely Horse posted:

By the lack of Batman saying "okay, you're right, we'll have to think of something else, it's gonna be much harder but we'll find something." When it comes down to it, going too far saves the day.

It was more we have no other choice then to use this now, and then I will blow it up since it can be easily abused.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

muscles like this? posted:

The same guy who happily manufactures weapons more powerful than anything the actual military, who answer to the elected government, has for a private citizen to keep in his basement to use on random street criminals. :psyduck:

I went to see The Imitation Game today, and it was a really wonderful movie with some great acting in it. But some of the maths they showed in it was a bit off. There's a bit where someone's reading a maths question that describes likelihood and probability as the same thing; they're not, and likelihood has been explicitly defined in maths and stats for a long time before WWII, and Wikipedia says that in 1922 the concept got really popular in statistics, so if a wee BSc of maths like me was taught that then the top mathematicians in the country certainly would have.

Also no one who got a double first in maths at Cambridge would pronounce Euler as "yoo-ler", we stopped that poo poo in high school. Maybe they didn't like saying German names properly and wanted to pretend he was mates with Euclid or something? :shrug:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

It was more we have no other choice then to use this now, and then I will blow it up since it can be easily abused.

"Entrust the ubermenschen with overly-powerful tools to run society. They'll do right by us."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yea, plus he swings his head TOWARDS the family when he breaks it, so they should have been sliced anyway.

Also like 100,000 people have already been killed in the wanton destruction of half the city during the big battle anyway... unless it was a weekend and all the buidings were empty plus the pilots of the aircraft all jumped out and used parachutes off-screen.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I watched Snowpiercer on Netflix the other day. I thought it was a good, solid movie and I know a lot of it is about the cool images but there were a couple of things that irrationally bugged me anyway:

In general it just felt like they didn't judge how shocking their plot twists were very well. The reveal that OH NO THEY'VE BEEN EATING BUGS didn't seem like such a big deal to me. There's plenty of people around the world who eat bugs as snacks, they're actually pretty good to eat. I mean, in the interests of not being a hypocrite if someone handed me a lightly fried cockroach today and told me to eat it I probably wouldn't, but I could potentially be persuaded to try it. And if I was on a train forever and it was my only source of food then drat straight I would. They don't even have to look at the actual bugs, it gets turned into a nice processed bar for them. My reaction was more that that's pretty clever and efficient and makes a lot of sense than anything else.

And that was my reaction before the reveal that the guy who was so grossed out by bugs had literally eaten babies to survive.

Speaking of which, the reveal that they were using kids to replace bits of the motor fell a little flat too. Yes, it's horrible, but at the start of the movie they said that he has children brought to him because he "likes children." And although everyone on the train seemed to take that perfectly innocently and think it was bullshit because it sounded too nice, I would have thought there was only one thing it could mean. So add that to the reveal that the people at the back of the train were literally eating babies at one point, and I just wasn't that shocked at the ~shocking twist~ that the kids were being used to help keep the train running. As bad as it was, they'd already given me two ideas about what could be happening to those kids that were much worse than that.

I also think trying to control the population through revolutions was a dumb idea as opposed to either putting contraceptives in their food or just taking set amounts of adults away at regular intervals to "work" elsewhere on the train but actually killing them. But that doesn't bug me quite as much since it's such an essential part of the premise that it's close to being in the same category as accepting the whole endless winter and perpetual motion train deal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching The Shawshank Redemption for the dozenth time yesterday and noticed something that has started to bug me. A major part of Andy's escape involves him stealing the Warden's suit, but Tim Robbins is 6'5.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

They didn't handle the setup very well.

The whole space racism thing was just kind of distasteful. I didn't like having a bunch of Nazi/messiah ideology injected into the film.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not sure at what point in Interstellar did the plot reveal that Cooper and Amelia were madly in love and wanted to spent the rest of their lives isolated on an empty planet developing a colony. I mean, they passed through a very difficult time, but they never showed those kind of emotions.

I was just left confused as gently caress.

Decent movie otherwise.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Famed director Christopher Nolan fumbling with expressing sentimentality and affection in his movies? This is a new and troubling development.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not going to be alone. He's just going there early so she doesn't have to be alone. The rest of humanity are in stations around the wormhole getting ready to move everyone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also early in the movie there's all that talk about how Cooper needs to be a pioneer/explorer and what better place than a new world.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Lamprey Cannon posted:

In Batman Returns, the Penguin implants a device on the underside of the Batmobile that allows him to control it remotely. So, Batman is trapped inside while Penguin's on his joyride, figures out that there's something on the car that shouldn't be there, then punches through the floor of the car in order to get to it. This is the Batmobile. It is bulletproof, crash-proof, explosion-proof, but you can just bash your way through the floor like it's an ancient rusty pickup truck?

The part of this that aggravated me as a kid was that the Penguin has blueprints and schematics for the Batmobile. Where the holy gently caress do you find those?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I was watching the bridge scene from Mission Impossible 3 yesterday and something that bugged me was when Tom Cruise was running from the overturned truck after getting the gun. The drone launches a missile at the truck, it explodes, but the force from the explosion doesn't send Tom Cruise forward, instead it sends him to the right straight into a car.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

10 Beers posted:

The part of this that aggravated me as a kid was that the Penguin has blueprints and schematics for the Batmobile. Where the holy gently caress do you find those?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

I think I remember something about one of the circus guys or two of em ending up sneaking a peek at the batmobile while he's off kicking rear end somewhere, and they drew em up.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I watched Jurassic Park this weekend and while that movie holds up really really well after 21 years, I was a little annoyed by how much they use the whole "if the camera can't see it the characters can't see it" thing - like the T-Rex coming out of nowhere and grabbing the raptor, there is NO WAY they wouldn't have reacted to it before that moment.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Stottie Kyek posted:

Also no one who got a double first in maths at Cambridge would pronounce Euler as "yoo-ler", we stopped that poo poo in high school. Maybe they didn't like saying German names properly and wanted to pretend he was mates with Euclid or something? :shrug:

Haha yeah, I just turned to my gf and whispered/barked "Euler!" in the correct pronunciation, she just looked at me slightly perplexed. Still, a great movie.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Haha yeah, I just turned to my gf and whispered/barked "Euler!" in the correct pronunciation, she just looked at me slightly perplexed. Still, a great movie.

How are you supposed to say it? E-yoo-ler?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

nucleicmaxid posted:

How are you supposed to say it? E-yoo-ler?

"Oy-ler"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Like Oiler?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

I watched Jurassic Park this weekend and while that movie holds up really really well after 21 years, I was a little annoyed by how much they use the whole "if the camera can't see it the characters can't see it" thing - like the T-Rex coming out of nowhere and grabbing the raptor, there is NO WAY they wouldn't have reacted to it before that moment.

That was actually a last-minute change to the movie. The original ending had Muldoon survive and show up with his rifle to rescue everybody from the raptors.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Organza Quiz posted:

I watched Snowpiercer on Netflix the other day. I thought it was a good, solid movie and I know a lot of it is about the cool images but there were a couple of things that irrationally bugged me anyway:

I loved the movie but had the exact same problem(s) with it that you did. Given the way they measured the children before taking them and the way the upper class had constant supply of fresh meat I thought for sure the reveal was going to be something really horrible, especially since the lower class had been in the same situation and forced to find an alternate way to feed themselves. The kids manually cranking train gears seemed downright tame by comparison.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Walking Dead is obviously full of irritating moments, but one that always bugged me as that Darryl hunts for food with the same crossbow bolts that he uses to kill zombies. All those squirrels have gotta be tainted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Walking Dead is obviously full of irritating moments, but one that always bugged me as that Darryl hunts for food with the same crossbow bolts that he uses to kill zombies. All those squirrels have gotta be tainted.

He also regularly puts the bolts in his mouth.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

This the most irritating loving thing ever as far as I'm concerned - they made a huge deal about how everybody is already infected but you still have to be careful not to get bitten in case you get infected. It's some schoolyard level poo poo - "you have double aids".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

This the most irritating loving thing ever as far as I'm concerned - they made a huge deal about how everybody is already infected but you still have to be careful not to get bitten in case you get infected. It's some schoolyard level poo poo - "you have double aids".

Everyone has the zombie virus. It doesn't do anything while you're alive but turns you when you die.

Zombies have a second one they pass on if they bite you that rapidly kills you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone has the zombie virus. It doesn't do anything while you're alive but turns you when you die.

Zombies have a second one they pass on if they bite you that rapidly kills you.

This. It was even a point in the original books so while The Walking Dead TV show may be irritating as gently caress I'll give this bit a pass.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You don't want to get bitten by a human because mouths are filthy and infection is a pain in the rear end. In a postapocalyptic world where medicine is on a lower level than ours, and where potential biters are actual dead people who presumably don't floss regularly and have been god knows where, you super double don't want to get bitten.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

This is actually very important - in the graphic novels an enemy actually infects the bolts and arrows they use, to rapidly kill anyone they wound. So, uh, Darryl would probably kill everyone.

I guess you could handwave that he cleans the bolts, but, gently caress. I wouldn't risk it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know the zombies turn you if they bite you and everyone already has a virus, but that should probably apply to eating zombie flesh too. Otherwise Bob laughing and going "I'M TAINTED MEAT" when the cannibals eat his leg has no impact.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I know the zombies turn you if they bite you and everyone already has a virus, but that should probably apply to eating zombie flesh too. Otherwise Bob laughing and going "I'M TAINTED MEAT" when the cannibals eat his leg has no impact.

You should pay more attention instead of posting how about how unrealistic a zombie show is.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

MariusLecter posted:

You should pay more attention instead of posting how about how unrealistic a zombie show is.

No one's asking for realism in our zombie show, it's the lack of internal consistency that bothers. See also: every other post in this thread about stuff that's not real.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Look at what thread you're in.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Look at what thread you're in.

The "Things often go over my head and that makes me angry" thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

mind the walrus posted:

This. It was even a point in the original books so while The Walking Dead TV show may be irritating as gently caress I'll give this bit a pass.
So the books are as bad as the show is what you're telling me?