Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AnacondaHL posted:

Why not find out if your LGS players actually want the chance to play against the best players in the world? The experience of traveling around the country/world? The chance to meet a ton of different people and make connections? The chance at fame and notoriety? The chance to be a part of MtG history? Or one of the other myriad reasons to play in the PT other than just making cash?

I would love to have my rear end handed to me by Reid Duke, my heart and soul :allears:

Making bank would just be a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AnacondaHL posted:

Of course, but it's not about just making cash. In fact, you said nothing about cash. You said PT grinding, one of the most negative EV things you can do. People who think they can consistently make cash by trying to get on and play on the Pro Tour are the significant (and deluded) minority. The rest of us are very aware that our chances of qualification are ~1% any given tournament.

Why not find out if your LGS players actually want the chance to play against the best players in the world? The experience of traveling around the country/world? The chance to meet a ton of different people and make connections? The chance at fame and notoriety? The chance to be a part of MtG history? Or one of the other myriad reasons to play in the PT other than just making cash?

I did not say anything about it, but if you read between the lines they think they're good enough to cash. Their attitude is very different from the people who want to go for the experience, the chance to play against "famous" players, the fun of traveling etc. I'm pretty familiar with the players at my LGS and I know which ones go for the experiences and the adventures and which ones go with delusions of grandeur. I was basically asking if anyone else has experience with delusional players at their LGS because there are a few at mine. Their facebook posts are really pretty funny after a GP. You can tell who enjoyed themselves and who was like "didn't cash this time, on to the next GP!"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

I would love to have my rear end handed to me by Reid Duke, my heart and soul :allears:

A buddy of mine was playing Andrew Boswell on Saturday and I was watching since I was done playing and Reid comes over and sits down next to Andrew. I imagine that might have been just a little intimidating.... He was very nice though. I asked him how he was doing so far and he said he didn't play yet (this was round 3) and I felt like a silly goose. That was all.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

I just wanted to play UR (or any) Delver, 'Murica Stoneblade, Elves, Fish, etc. My friend played UR 6 times in 15 rounds. I played burn twice, ANT once, and the Jund mirror. There was exactly one game of Magic played by me all day. The Jund mirror was one actual game, followed by me getting stuck on 2 lands for a little too long, and me steamrolling him in game 3. Burn is burn and ANT I mulled to 5 both games, saw 0 targeted discard, and got turn 2'd both games.

I wouldn't even have minded losing as much as I did except the burn players were so bad. One guy bolted my Goyf with Sorcery and Eidolon in the grave. That doesn't work even if you don't understand how SBEs work with Goyf. :wtc: They both passed up on so many chances for extra damage (protip: my Deathrite is not going to block your Eidolon, and my Goyf probably isn't either) and one just missed the Eidolon triggers on several spells. That's not even mentioning that they both brought in Sulfuric Vortex against me which makes absolutely no sense. :argh:

I had fun outside of the actual event though. I saw one of the coolest things I've ever seen: a Chinese date-stamped Dig Through Time with a Spanish date-stamp... for $500. There were some pretty sweet deals too. I found a lot of cool Russian cards for really good prices. I got an UNL Volc for $220. I got a bunch of cube stuff signed by everyone except for John Avon because screw waiting 90 minutes for a 5 card limit. Zach Stella is a pretty cool guy, even if he did the art for some pretty terrible cards. I wouldn't ever drive 6 hours to do this again, but I'll definitely go to Pittsburgh next year.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mcmagic posted:

A buddy of mine was playing Andrew Boswell on Saturday and I was watching since I was done playing and Reid comes over and sits down next to Andrew. I imagine that might have been just a little intimidating.... He was very nice though. I asked him how he was doing so far and he said he didn't play yet (this was round 3) and I felt like a silly goose. That was all.

Reid Duke seems like a super-chill dude, can you confirm?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Serperoth posted:

I don't have any evidence of the contrary...

suicidesteve posted:

I had fun outside of the actual event though. I saw one of the coolest things I've ever seen: a Chinese date-stamped Dig Through Time with a Spanish date-stamp... for $500. There were some pretty sweet deals too. I found a lot of cool Russian cards for really good prices. I got an UNL Volc for $220. I got a bunch of cube stuff signed by everyone except for John Avon because screw waiting 90 minutes for a 5 card limit. Zach Stella is a pretty cool guy, even if he did the art for some pretty terrible cards. I wouldn't ever drive 6 hours to do this again, but I'll definitely go to Pittsburgh next year.

I felt jund was pretty well placed in the room. Much better than I thought when I walked in. The only game I really had no chance in was vs Omnitell Round 2 where he Showed and Tells G2 and had Force backup for my red blast. My only other loss was to the mirror which is just gonna happen. I was beating burn and any deck with White in it pretty easily allday. The SCG HP table was THE poo poo as usual. I got a Volc that I consider to be SP for 150 bucks and a few forces NTM a bunch of commons and uncommon foreigns that i'm going to use.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So what happened to Death and Taxes? I was thinking of building it and it seems like it got poo poo on all over the GP.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
At least part of South Park on Wednesday is going to be about Magic.

South Park Studios Press Release

quote:

Kenny excels at playing the game, Magic: The Gathering. He has the boys’ full attention until a new, hard-core activity gets in the way. When Wendy tries to get Stan to pay attention to what she’s doing, she realizes that what he does with his guy friends always comes first.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

I did not say anything about it, but if you read between the lines they think they're good enough to cash. Their attitude is very different from the people who want to go for the experience, the chance to play against "famous" players, the fun of traveling etc. I'm pretty familiar with the players at my LGS and I know which ones go for the experiences and the adventures and which ones go with delusions of grandeur. I was basically asking if anyone else has experience with delusional players at their LGS because there are a few at mine. Their facebook posts are really pretty funny after a GP. You can tell who enjoyed themselves and who was like "didn't cash this time, on to the next GP!"

Yep. This is probably why the vast majority of results-oriented grinders are so bad for the game and their local communities. These are the same people who get mad at losing to a scrub, get mad at playing a good player first round "because the undeserving scrubs will find their way to the top", and other lovely attitudes. They are probably more likely to be lovely about small play mistakes in FNM/game day (that should get rewound or easily fixed if the newer opposing player new about them) because they probably imagine themselves at the first round of a PTQ or comp REL and are strict about it.

This is also why I don't go to some of the closer LGSs. They are plagued by this type of mentality and imagine their communal grinder play skill is better than other LGSs. Then get mad when one of ours from a different LGS wins their game day lol.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

So what happened to Death and Taxes? I was thinking of building it and it seems like it got poo poo on all over the GP.

Everyone I know who plays D&T switched to some kind of Maverick variant...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Count Bleck posted:

That's part of what makes the idea of going to GP Dallas in July tempting. The fact that it's limited is the other half (since I really don't have anything resembling a collection anymore).

deftest
May 7, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Yep. This is probably why the vast majority of results-oriented grinders are so bad for the game and their local communities. These are the same people who get mad at losing to a scrub, get mad at playing a good player first round "because the undeserving scrubs will find their way to the top", and other lovely attitudes. They are probably more likely to be lovely about small play mistakes in FNM/game day (that should get rewound or easily fixed if the newer opposing player new about them) because they probably imagine themselves at the first round of a PTQ or comp REL and are strict about it.

This is also why I don't go to some of the closer LGSs. They are plagued by this type of mentality and imagine their communal grinder play skill is better than other LGSs. Then get mad when one of ours from a different LGS wins their game day lol.

The LGS that I consider "mine" is full of these guys. They nearly turned me off to the game altogether when I first started going. I was playing a lot of wonky tier 3 strategies and getting beat by Thragtusk in nearly every game...

Most of them are on the younger side. I think that's the main cause of it. I've been around that store long enough now (and gotten good enough at the game) that they no longer direct their anti-noob rage at me. But I still witness them doing it to other people. It's bad for the community, but it also IS the community.

I think those guys don't fully realize what they're doing/saying. It's important to hold that mirror up every once in a while. If a new player is beating their tier 1 mono-black with a nonsense Yisan deck and they say "that's gay!" I give them the old "Oh, you don't like gay people?" They're usually confused by that response, and hopefully think about why the words they just said were reacted to in that way.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
To be fair Yisan, like most bards, is probably gay.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

There was exactly one game of Magic played by me all day.
This is getting really tiring, you don't need to put it in every post. If you hate combo this much you should stop playing competitive magic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wadjamaloo posted:

This is getting really tiring, you don't need to put it in every post. If you hate combo this much you should stop playing competitive magic.

No. He should grind more and get more byes so that most of the janky combo poo poo is gone by the time he starts playing.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd pick Modern as a format if you don't like CMC < 2 + combo matchups all day err day, that's the primary nature of the format.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Wadjamaloo posted:

Or at least stay the hell away from legacy/modern.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I Love You! posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd pick Modern as a format if you don't like CMC < 2 + combo matchups all day err day, that's the primary nature of the format.

Combo in modern isn't NEARLY as oppressive as combo in Legacy. It's not even close.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mcmagic posted:

No. He should grind more and get more byes so that most of the janky combo poo poo is gone by the time he starts playing.

Threadshitting is so much easier than actually improving at the game, though.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Toshimo posted:

You would know.

deftest posted:

I think those guys don't fully realize what they're doing/saying. It's important to hold that mirror up every once in a while. If a new player is beating their tier 1 mono-black with a nonsense Yisan deck and they say "that's gay!" I give them the old "Oh, you don't like gay people?" They're usually confused by that response, and hopefully think about why the words they just said were reacted to in that way.

Ugh, these people sound awful. That's the one thing I miss about playing Standard FNM, getting matched up against somebody's insane bullshit brew. The "what even is this" phase of the game is one of my favorite things...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

deftest posted:

The LGS that I consider "mine" is full of these guys. They nearly turned me off to the game altogether when I first started going. I was playing a lot of wonky tier 3 strategies and getting beat by Thragtusk in nearly every game...

Most of them are on the younger side. I think that's the main cause of it. I've been around that store long enough now (and gotten good enough at the game) that they no longer direct their anti-noob rage at me. But I still witness them doing it to other people. It's bad for the community, but it also IS the community.

Being younger probably has something to do with it. I think it's usually the freshmen or sophomores in uni that have a bit more free time. So truly sophomoric in nature. It's funny because my reaction to a lot of wonky strategies, especially legacy due to its inbred nature, is to laugh at it all. It's actually really funny that certain standard decks can do well in legacy because of standard's nature of bringing a threat out every turn (small jabs, 1-2 combos, more rounds) vs. legacy's early turn domination with haymakers followed up by opposing hooks to ensure the fall. It's p much how that werewolf deck from a couple years ago did so well at a legacy GP or SCG open. I remind the newer players who come to legacy night, free with store membership, this fact when they say they'll lose from the get go. The BUG and MUD players kinda just laugh and go with it cuz they know half their spells are useless when the opponent doesn't have the typical CMC 1-3 deck. Same thing happens in modern but not as exaggerated because the tier 1 decks are practically standard decks from their eras.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Meh there is definitely an element of "Opps! I win even though I'm a lovely player who doesn't know how to play" in legacy that really used to turn me off but that is something that applies much more to smaller local Meta's than something you'll see in a GP...

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve just a quick reminder that I used those cards you sold me to play with basically Necropotence and turn 2 emrakul people all weekend, thanks a million

deftest
May 7, 2011
re: nonsense decks

Thoughtseize is not nearly as good of a card when your opponent plays it and has to go "wait.. what? uhh..."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

deftest posted:

Thoughtseize is not nearly as good of a card when your opponent plays it and has to go "wait.. what? uhh..."

It's even funnier when it's legacy night, the seized player has a couple siege rhinos and coursers in hand, and is about to play the rhino next turn. Liliana isn't out yet and punishing fire is p bad against rhinos. :coffeepal:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

deftest posted:

I got a MBD player to do this against my Murdergoats deck at the BNG GameDay, it felt awesome.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I played Big Red Control during an IQ about 3 months ago and every black player was baffled when they saw my grips of 3 mountains, ember swallower, generator servant, magma jet, and scuttling doom engine. :getin:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Idiot brings over 25 grand worth of cards to GP NJ, someone steals the lot.

Deja vu, no? I always sympathize, my rage would be indescribable if I lost my collection.....but I'm smart enough to not bring my entire collection to an event. Make a new binder of cards you specifically are looking to trade off or sell to vendors, the decks you intend to play, and that's it! Don't haul everything you own around, especially when it sounds like this guy had every penny he had tied up in these things as a really ill-advised portable college fund.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The last big theft like that I remember happened in Jersey, too. I blame Fabiano.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Deja vu, no? I always sympathize, my rage would be indescribable if I lost my collection.....but I'm smart enough to not bring my entire collection to an event. Make a new binder of cards you specifically are looking to trade off or sell to vendors, the decks you intend to play, and that's it! Don't haul everything you own around, especially when it sounds like this guy had every penny he had tied up in these things as a really ill-advised portable college fund.

This guy deserves this in every possible way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

A fool and his 25K of magic cards are soon parted.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

BaronVonVaderham posted:

He had his entire collection in a single deckbox?

Huh...

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

inSTAALed posted:

He had his entire collection in a single deckbox?

Huh...

You have to read down into the comments because he sucks at describing the incident. They also took two big trade binders.

He also admits he left it basically unattended. When my friends watch my stuff, I don't leave until they've physically moved my things so they're touching them within their line of sight. I guarantee this guy said, "Hey I'll be right back...." and ran off assuming his friend being nearby was a deterrent. He also acknowledges that countless people had seen just how much value was in those binders and made offers to him....which is why you don't bring your entire loving collection to these events to show off!

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 17, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

haha oh Geordie...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That is so cringe-worthy.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

jassi007 posted:

Not sure there is anything for you to say. They are the deluded minority of players with disgusting entitlement, and they will all figure it out for themselves or continue in their behavior.

Serperoth posted:

Indeed. I've had the privilege of playing against him 3 times now (twice in Reid Dukeing It scenarios ("Reid Dukeing It" meaning continuing to play in a tournament for no real chance at Top 8/prizes/whatever other goal)), and he was nothing short of a nice guy, respectful, talented, and super-chill.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

deftest posted:

I love getting that reaction. I don't even care what happens next, when I get seized and my opponent goes "I don't even know what the gently caress to pick here" I already feel like I won.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

haha oh Geordie...

Hahaha. Like SCG gives a gently caress about his insane twitter feed.

v Literally, apparently.

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 17, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Geordie Tait is such an embarrassing manbaby. Of all the hills to die on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I like how in his head it could not possibly have happened for a reason other than being against gamergate. Like, he was so certain of it that he hopped on Facebook and posted a gigantic screed directed towards a former employer.

I mean, was it reasonable for him to wonder if his Tweets might have been the reason? Sure. That's when you go professionally to your boss/former boss and inquire about your concerns. Then if your concerns are borne out, then maybe you write a well-thought-out editorial.

• Locked thread